|NITAAI-Veda.nyf > Soul Science God Philosophy > Pushpanjali Impersonalism > 03 Surrender > Gold Has No Fragrance|
Gold Has No Fragrance
163) Sanatan Goswami says, "O devotee of the Lord, to see you is the perfection of the eyes...and to glorify your qualities is the perfection of the tongue, for it is very rare to find a pure devotee like you." (Hari-bhakti-shudhodaya 13.2)
164) Shaunaka Muni says, "O Suta, those great sages who have completely taken shelter of the lotus feet of the Lord can at once sanctify those who come in touch with them, whereas the waters of the Ganges can sanctify only after prolonged contact." (SB 1.1.15)
165) Nirvishesh asked: But what of those whose very lives have been built upon the four pillars of sin? I refer to the unfortunate persons who have been taught that: illicit sex life is manly and the mark of a great hero; that the mental speculator is an intellectual and is the cream of society's educated intelligentsia; that the meat-eater is of sound body and robust health; and that intoxication is a social asset. Can the addict of sense enjoyment be introduced to Krishna consciousness?
das replied: Consider, my friend, Chanakya Pandit's example of the Ketki tree.
It bears no fruits, is inhabited by serpents, is covered by thorns, is
crooked, and grows in muddy places where it is obtained only after great
difficulty,yet this same tree becomes dear to all due to its unexcelled
fragrance. Just see how a single excellence covers a multitude of flaws.
Similarly, the pure devotee is capable of finding even one good quality
possessed by men of the lowest social rank.
He will nurse, develop, and magnify that good quality a million-fold and then entice that fortunate soul to render some devotional service to Shri Krishna. Through bhakti all faults fall to the wayside. It was due to Shrila Prabhupada's blessings upon this lowly wretch that today I am able to offer some menial service to the Lord—for he came to search me out when I,too, was bewildered by the dark clouds of impersonalism. Gently taking hold of my hand, my spiritual master led me to the
loving shelter of Krishna. By the acharya's blessings, good qualities can develop in any wretch if he is just a little sincere. And I am living proof
167) Shri Krishna says: "Even if you are considered to be the most sinful of all sinners, when you are situated in the boat of transcendental knowledge, you will be able to cross over the ocean of miseries. As blazing fire turns firewood to ashes, O Arjuna, so does the fire of knowledge burn to ashes all reactions to material activities." (BG 4.36-37)
168) Although gold has no sweet fragrance, sugar cane is without fruit, no flowers bloom upon the branches of the sandalwood tree, and brahmanas are without wealth, still all of these are loved for the excellent qualities they do possess.
169) Lord Chaitanya has recommended kibavipra kiba nyasi shudra kene noy yei krishna tattva vetta sei guru hoy: "Whether one be a brahmana or a shudra, or a sannyasi or a householder, it doesn't matter. If he knows the science of Krishna, he's a bona fide spiritual master." (CC Madhya 8.127)
170) When visiting a doctor do we ask if he is a Hindu, Muslim or Christian? We simply say, "Please treat me, I am suffering." So let all classes of people come forward and learn this universal science of Krishna consciousness, for there is a tremendous need for it in the world today. Eka dharma, eka shastra, eka karma, eka mantra: One religion, one scripture, one work, and one mantra.
171) Through the mercy of Lord Nityananda, the drunkards Jagai and Madhai were saved. By the mercy of Narada, the murderer Valmiki was saved. By the grace of the holy name, th_e rogue Ajamila was saved. And by the grace of our spiritual master, the western world is being delivered.
172) Shrila Prabhupada has said, "Second-class man, third-class man, tenth-class man, come on! I'll make you a first-class man." Such is the potency of an acharya's blessings.
173) In the English language there are only 26 letters in thie alphabet, but different combinations of these generate in-numerable sounds. Similarly, the 26 qualities of a devotee are the source of all types of auspiciousness. These qualities are: (1) kind to everyone, (2) does not quarrel with anyone, (3) equal to everyone, (4) faultless, (5) charitable, (6) mild, (7) clean, (8) simple, (9) benevolent, (10) peaceful, (11) compassionate, (12) friendly, (13) poetic, (14) expert, (15) silent, (16) completely attached to Krishna, (17) has no material hankering, (18) meek, (19) steady, (20) self-controlled, (21) does not eat more than required, (22) sane, (23) respectful, (24) humble, (25) grave, (26) fixed in the Absolute Truth.
174) "A pure devotee should never be seen from a materialistic point of view. Indeed one should overlook a devotee's having been born in a low family, having a body with a bad complexion, a deformed body, or a diseased or infirm body. The body of a pure devotee cannot be polluted exactly like the pure waters of the Ganges which sometimes during the rainy season are full of bubbles, foam, and mud. Those who are advanced in spiritual understanding will bathe in the Ganges without considering the condition of the water." (from Upadeshamrita 6)
175) It has been said that because pure devotees personally approach the most pitiably fallen souls, such shuddha-bhaktas, are more kind than even Lord Krishna Himself.
176) "Anyone who has transcendental qualities due to friendly behavior with the Supreme Personality of Godhead receives honor from all living entities, just as water automatically flows down by nature." (SB 4.9.47)
177) Bhagavan Shri Krishna said to Arjuna: "O Partha, those who are not deluded, the great souls, are under the protection of the divine nature They are fully engaged in devotional service because they know Me as the Supreme Personality of Godhead, original and inexhaustible." (BG 9.13) Nirvishesh, in this iron age of Kali Yuga a mahatma or great soul is one who always chants:
Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare.