|NITAAI-Veda.nyf > SG Translated and Main Scriptures > Top 100 Names of God|
The Top 100 Names of God
By Shrila Bhaktivinoda Thakura
Translated by His Holiness
Bhaktiratna Sadhu Swami Gaurangapada
This book contains the most principle 100 Names of Supreme Lord Gauranga Mahaprabhu, the most munificent and magnanimous of all the incarnations of God. They have been compiled from Shrila Bhaktivinoda Thakura's Gitavali and are sung continuously by Lord Nityananda Prabhu Himself in Shri Navadvipa Dhama. These names are the highest because they describe all the pastimes of Lord Gauranga Mahaprabhu from His appeareance till His Disappearance in Puri Dhama and are related to His pure devotees.
"A neophyte student who is not sufficiently educated or enlightened should not indulge in the worship of Shri Radha and Krishna or the chanting of the Hare Krishna mantra. Even if he does so, he cannot get the desired result. One should therefore chant the names of Nitai-Gaura and worship Them without false prestige.[.] Considering the position of the people of this age, however, the chanting of Shri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu's name is more essential than the chanting of the Hare Krishna maha-mantra because Shri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu is the most magnanimous incarnation and His mercy is very easily achieved." (Shrila Prabhupada in Cc Adi-lila 8.31 purport)
THE TOP 100 NAMES OF GOD
for Daily Recitation & Meditation
One Hundred Names of the Lord of Kali-yuga,
Shri Krishna Chaitanya Mahaprabhu.
Introduction by Swami Gaurangapada
(I) In the Brihad-vishnu-sahasranama-stotra, Uttara-khanda, Padma Purana (72.335) it is said:
rama rameti rameti, rame rame manorame;
sahasra-namabhis tulyam, rama-nama varanane.
Lord Shiva addressed his wife, Durga: “O Varanana (lovely-faced woman), I chant the holy name of Rama, Rama, Rama and thus constantly enjoy this beautiful sound. This holy name of Ramacandra is equal to one thousand holy names of Lord Vishnu (Vishnu-sahasra-nama-stotram).”
(II) In the Brahmanda
Purana it is stated:
sahasra-namnam punyanam, trir-avrittya tu yat phalam;
ekavrittya tu krishnasya, namaikam tat prayacchati.
“The pious results (punya) achieved by chanting the thousand holy names of Vishnu (Vishnu-sahasra-nama-stotram) three times can be attained by only one utterance of the holy name of Krishna.”
(III) In the Brahma-rahasya it is stated:
krishna-chaitanyeti nama, mukhyan mukhyatamam prabhoh;
helaya sakrid uccarya, sarva-nama-phalam labhet.
“The holy name Krishna Chaitanya is the topmost even among all the important primary holy names of the Lord Krishna. By chanting this name just once, a person attains the results (punya) of chanting all the other holy names of the Lord.”
So from the above three very important verses we can easily come to the following conclusion:
1000 Names of Lord Vishnu = 1 Name of (Vishnu-sahasra-nama-stotram) Lord Rama
3 Names of Lord Rama (or 3000 Names of Lord Vishnu) = 1 Name of Lord Krishna
1 Name of Lord Shri Krishna Chaitanya Mahaprabhu = Sum Total Results of all the Names of Lord Krishna, Rama and Vishnu
In theVishnu-yamala it is said:
krishna-chaitanya-namna ye, kirtayanti sakrin narah; nanaparadha-muktas te, punanti sakalam jagat.
“Those who chant the name of Krishna Chaitanya even once, become free from all offenses and purify all the worlds by their very presence.”
Shrila Jagadananda Pandita says in Prema-vivarta:
gaura ye vishala nama sei nama gau; anya saba nama-mahatmya sei name pau.
“The most powerful names of God are the names of the most merciful incarnation of God, who is known as Lord Gaura. The glories and power of all the other names of God are completely present in the names of Lord Shri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu.”
Since the name of Lord Krisna Chaitanya Mahaprabhu is equal to the sum total of all the principle names of God and since by chanting His name just once, a person can purify the three worlds, one cannot even estimate the auspicious results of chanting the following 100 Names of Lord Chaitanya Mahaprabhu. If one faithfully chants this Shri Krishna-Chaitanya-Shata-Nama-Stotram daily, he is sure to achieve the fulfillment of all his desires in this life, become eligible to purely chant the Hare Krisna maha-mantra and ultimately achieve the kingdom of God at the end of his life.
His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada writes in his commentary on Shri Chaitanya-caritamrita, Adi-lila 8.31:
“A neophyte student who is not sufficiently educated or enlightened should not indulge in the worship of Shri Radha and Krishna or the chanting of the Hare Krishna mantra. Even if he does so, he cannot get the desired result. One should therefore chant the names of Nitai-Gaura and worship Them without false prestige.[…] Considering the position of the people of this age, however, the chanting of Shri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu’s name is more essential than the chanting of the Hare Krishna maha-mantra because Shri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu is the most magnanimous incarnation and His mercy is very easily achieved.”
Shri Chaitanya-caritamrita, Adi-lila 8.24 states:
‘krishna-nama’ kare aparadhera vicara; krishna balile aparadhira na haya vikara.
“There are ten offenses
to be considered while chanting the Hare Krishna mantra. Thus simply by chanting
Hare Krishna (even for millions of lives) one may not become ecstatic in love
Shri Chaitanya-caritamrita, Adi-lila 8.31 states:
chaitanya-nityanande nahi esaba vicara; nama laite prema dena, vahe ashrudhara.
“But if one only chants, with some slight faith, the holy names of Lord Chaitanya and Nityananda, very quickly he is cleansed of all offenses. Since in the chanting of the names of Nitai-Gauranga there is no consideration of offenses, one will very quickly come to the stage of love of God, simply by chanting Their names.”
In Shri Chaitanya-caritamrita, Madhya-lila 1.41 purport, it is stated: “According to specific pastimes, the names are spiritually empowered. “
Also Shrila Bhaktivinoda Thakura describes in the Hari-nama-cintamani, Chapter Two:
ei rupa nityalila-prakashaka nama; e-saba kirtane jiva paya krishna dhama.
“The names of the Lord which reveal His eternal variegated pastimes are known as His principle names. Anyone who specifically chants these names of the Lord will surely attain the Lord's supreme abode.”
Thus these 100 Names of Lord Shri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu are very very special because They fully describe His superexcellent pastimes beginning from His appearance in Shri Navadvipa-dhama till His later pastimes as a sannyasi in Shri Jagannatha Puri. Also one gets the mercy of Shrila Nityananda Prabhu (the original spiritual master) by reciting these names because they have originated from Him. Thus by reciting these 100 names everyday with a simple heart, one will get a full vision of the Lord’s pastimes performed throughout His presence on this planet and gradually one will become absorbed in those pastimes. The ultimate result will be that such a person will become qualified to enter into those pastimes and personally enjoy with the Lord eternally.
The only qualification required to achieve the maximum benefit from the chanting of these 100 names is described as follows:
kutinati chada mana karaha sarala; gaura-nama laya labhe sarva phala.
“If one chants these names of Lord Gauranga with a simple and non-duplicitous mind and heart, then he will very quickly achieve the fruit of the fulfillment of all his desires.”
Therefore one can conclude that it will for the great benefit of all the seekers of the Absolute Truth to loudly recite this Shri Krishna-Chaitanya-Shata-Nama-Stotram daily, preferably in front of a picture or Deities of Shri Shri Nitai Gauranga, before beginning the chanting of the Hare Krishna maha-mantra. This will ensure the complete success of even the most neophyte spiritual aspirant in the chanting of the Hare Krishna maha-mantra. The furthur benefits of chanting this Stotram have been described in the Shri Chaitanya-Shata-Nama-Stotra Mahatmyam at the end.
nadiya-nagare nitai nece’ nece’ gay re
In the towns and villages of Nadiya (Shri Navadvipa-dhama), Lord Nityananda (Lord Balarama) ecstatically dances and sings these most auspicious one hundred names of Lord Shri Krishna Chaitanya Mahaprabhu:
(Note: All the 100 Names are in stanzas comprising of two lines and each line of the stanza can be sung in any simple melody followed by the next line. The translations and the numbers are for the reference of the chanter so that he can remember the meaning of each name while reciting them. The translations need not be recited with the daily recitation of the 100 Names once the meanings are understood.)
(4) mayapura-shashi (5)
(1) Lord Gauranga is the beloved son of Shri Jagannatha Mishra. (2) He is Mahaprabhu, the greatest master of all the living entities. (3) He is the maintainer of the whole creation. (4) He is the shining moon of Shri Mayapura, and (5) the source of all nectar for the residents and the land of Shri Navadvipa.
(6) shachi-suta (7) gaurahari (8) nimai-sundara
(9) radha-bhava-kanti-aacchaadita (10) natabara
(6) He is the beloved son of Shri Shaci Mata, and (7) is Lord Hari with a fair golden complexion. (8) As He was born under a nim tree He is called Nimai-sundara (beautiful Nimai). (9) He is covered by the sentiment and luster of Shrimati Radharani, and (10) He is the best of all dancers.
(14)brahmaanda-vadana(15) tarki (16) kautukaanurakta
(11) He becomes restless and blissful upon hearing the holy names of Lord Hari. (12) In His boyhood pastimes He is swift and agile, and (13) is always devoted to His mother. (14) He displays the entire universe within His mouth, (15) is the greatest logician, and (16) is greatly fond of joking and playing pranks.
(17) vidyarthi-udupa (18)caura-dvayera mohana
(17) He is the moon among all the scholarly students, and (18) He bewildered two thieves who tried to steal His jewels when He was a small child and took them for a ride. (19) He is the cynosure of all philosophers, and (20) He teased and joked with the village girls of Nadiya in His childhood.
(21) lakshmi-prati bora-data (22) uddhata balaka
(23) shri-shacira pati-putra-shoka-nibaraka
(21) He is the giver of the desired blessings to Shrimati Lakshmi-priya (His first wife) when He saw Her for the first time on the banks of the Ganges. (22) He is very mischievous as a child, and (23) is the dispeller of the grief Shaci-mata felt after losing her husband Jagannatha Mishra and first son Vishvarupa (who took sannyasa).
(24) lakshmi-pati (25) purva-desha-sarva-klesha-hara
(26) digvijayi-darpa-hari (27) vishnu-priyeshwara
(24) He is the Lord and husband of Lakshmi-priya. (25) During His travels, He removed all the distress of East Bengal (Bangladesh). (26) He eradicated the pride of the conquering pandita named Keshava Kashmiri, and (27) is the beloved Lord of Shrimati Vishnupriya (His second wife and energy).
(28) arya-dharma-pala (29) pitri-gaya pinda-data
(28) He is the preserver of sanatana-dharma (the eternal religion of the soul which is to serve and love God), and (29) the giver of the pinda oblation to the forefathers at the holy town of Gaya after the disappearance of His father Jagannatha Mishra. (30) He accepted Shri Ishvara Puri as his spiritual master, and (31) is the protector and maintainer of the Brahma-Madhva-Gaudiya- sampradaya.
(32) He becomes madly intoxicated by tasting the nectar of the holy name of Krishna, and (33) is the ultimate professor of the science of Krishna consciousness. (34) He inaugurated the religion for the age of Kali, which is called nama- sankirtana i.e. congregational chanting of the names of Krishna.
(35) adwaita-bandhava (36) shrinivasa-griha-dhana
(37) nityananda-prana (38) gadadharera jivana
(35) He is the dearmost friend of Shrila Advaita Acarya, (36) the treasure of Shrila Shrivasa Thakura's home, (37) the life and soul of Shrila Nityananda Prabhu, and (38) the very source of life for Shrila Gadadhara Pandita.
(39) antardvipa-shashadhara (40) simanta-vijaya
(41) godruma-bihari (42) madhyadvipa-lilashraya
(39) He is the moon of Antardvipa (the central island of Navadvipa), and (40) the triumph of Simantadvipa. (41) He enjoys wandering and frolicking on the island of Godruma, and (42) is the shelter of the pastimes in Madhyadvipa.
(43) koladwipa-pati (44) ritudwipa-maheshwara
(45) jahnu-modadruma-rudradwipera ishwara
(43) He is the Lord of Koladvipa, (44) the great controller of Ritudvipa, and (45) the master of Jahnudvipa, Modadrumadvipa, and Rudradvipa.
(46) nava-khanda-ranganatha (47)jahnavi-jivana
(48) jagai-madhai-adi durvritta-tarana
(46) He is thus the Supreme Lord and Enjoyer of the nine islands of Navadvipa, which serve as the stage for His wonderful pastimes. (47) He is the life of the River Ganga, and (48) the deliverer of all sorts of rogues and rascals beginning with Jagai and Madhai.
(49) nagara-kirtana-simha (50) kaji-uddharana
(49) He is the lion of congregational chanting, and (50) the deliverer of Chand Kazi. (51) He is the topmost preacher of the pure holy name, and (52) the remover of the distresses of His devotees.
(53) narayani-kripa-sindhu (54) jivera niyanta
(53) He is the ocean of mercy for Narayani (the mother of Shrila Vrindavana dasa Thakura) who got His remanants, and (54) is the regulator of all souls. (55) He is the chastiser of the fallen students who criticized His chanting of “gopi! gopi!”, and (56) is the destroyer of the faults of His devotees.
(57) shri-krishna-chaitanya-candra (58)bharati-tarana
(59) parivraja-shiromani (60) utkala-pavana
(57) He was initiated into sannyasa with the name of Shri Krishna Chaitanya, and He is beautiful like the moon. (58) He delivered His sannyasa-guru Keshava Bharati, (59) is Himself the crest-jewel of all wandering renunciates, and (60) is the savior of the region of Orissa during His stay in Jagannatha Puri.
(62) khir-cora-gopala-darshana-sukhi yati
(61) He is the master of Lord Shiva, who is known in three different Shaiva tirthas as Ambu-linga, Bhuvaneshvara, and Kapoteshvara (visited by Lord Chaitanya on His way to Jagannatha Puri). (62) As a sannyasi He rejoiced at the sight of the Orissan deities Kshira-cora Gopinatha and Sakshi Gopala.
(63) He became a sannyasi without a danda (due to Lord Nityananda’s breaking it in three parts and throwing it in the Bhargi River), and (64) is the bestower of causeless mercy on Shrila Sarvabhauma Bhattacarya. (65) He is ecstatic by tasting the bliss of Himself in the form of Krishna, and (66) He is the resting place of all universal happiness.
(67) purata-sundara (68) vasudeva-trana-karta
(67) He is beautiful like molten gold, and (68) He is the deliverer of the leper Vasudeva. (69) He is the most intimate friend of Shrila Ramananda Raya, and (70) the remover of all miseries for the family of Shrila Vyenkata Bhatta.
(71) He is the refuter of the atheistic arguments of the Buddhists, Jains, and Mayavadis. (72) He is the savior and purifier of South India, and (73) He found and revealed the two devotional literatures, Krishna-karnamrita and Brahma-samhita.
(74) alala-darshananandi (75) rathagra-nartaka
(76) gajapati-trana (77) devananda-uddharaka
(74) He became ecstatic at the sight of the deity Alalanatha (near Puri), and (75) He danced exuberantly in front of the Jagannatha cart during the Ratha-yatra festival. (76) He delivered Gajapati Prataparudra, the King of Orissa and (77) is the savior of Shrila Devananda Pandita.
(78) kuliya-prakashe dushta paduyara trana
(78) By His appearance at Kuliya He forgave and delivered the ill-behaved student community there. (79) He is the eternal friend of Rupa and Sanatana Gosvami, and (80) the life of all souls.
(83) yavana-uddhari (84) bhatöa-ballabhera rangi
(81) He is the personification of the bliss of the transcendental realm of Vrindavana, and (82) He is the companion and friend of Shrila Balabhadra Bhaööacarya. (83) On His return from Vrindavana He delivered many Mohammedans, and (84) He is very fond of intimate exchanges with Shrila Vallabha Bhaööa.
(85) kashivasi-sannyasi-uddhari (86) prema-data
(87) markaöa-vairagi-dandi (88) a-candala-trata
(85) He delivered the Mayavadi sannyasis of Kashi headed by Prakashananda Sarasvati, and (86) He is the bestower of love of God. (87) He is the chastiser of the false renunciates (monkey-like pretenders), and (88) He is the savior of everyone down to the lowest class of men.
(89)bhaktera gaurava-kari (90) bhakta-prana-dhana
(89) He is the glorifier of His devotees, and (90) is the treasured wealth of their lives. (91) He is the very life of the exalted devotees like Shrila Haridasa Thakura, Shrila Raghunatha Dasa Goswami, and Shrila Svarupa Damodara.
(92) godruma-pati (93) gora (94) nitai-jivana
(95)vrindavana-bhava-vibhora (96) advaitera dhana
(92) He is the Supreme Master of the island of Godruma. (93) He posseses a golden complexion and (94) is the very life of Shrila Nityananda Prabhu. (95) He constantly remains overwhelmed with the ecstatic moods of Vrindavana, and (96) is the supreme treasure of Shrila Advaita Acarya.
(97) gadadhara-prana, (98) shrivasa-sharana,
(97) He is the life-breath of Shrila Gadadhara Pandita, (98) the shelter of Shrila Shrivasa Pandita, (99) the thief of the hearts of all the devotees of Lord Krishna, and (100) the supreme purifier of the degraded age of Kali.
Shri Chaitanya-Shata-Nama-Stotram Mahatmyam
(The Glories of chanting these 100 Names of Lord Gauranga, optional for recitation daily)
ity etat kathitam nityam, shatam nama-sundaram;
goloka-vasino vishnor, gaura-rupasya sharnginah.
“In this way ends the recitation of the hundred most beautiful names of Lord Vishnu, who resides in Goloka Vrindavana, who holds the Sharnga bow, and who has now appeared in the golden form of Lord Shri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu.
idam gaura-shata-namam, amayaghnam shucapaham;
bhukti-siddhi-pradam nrinam, govindakarshakam param.
“The recitation of this
poem, known as the hundred names of Lord Gaura, permanently cures the disease
of repeated birth and death, frees the chanter from all lamentation, and
fulfills all desires including the desires for material enjoyment and mystic
powers. The chanting of this poem ultimately attracts the attention of Lord
yah paöhed pratar uttaya, chaitanyasya mahamanah;
shraddhaya parayopetah, stotram sarvagha-nashanam;
prema-bhaktir harau tasya jayate natra samshayah.
“It is recommended that upon rising in the morning, one faithfully approach and recite this transcendental sin-destroying prayer to Lord Shri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu. One who does so will feel the awakening of pure ecstatic devotion unto Lord Hari; of this there is no doubt.
pratah-kale ca madhyahne, sandhyayam madhya-ratrike;
yah pathet prayato bhaktya, caitanye labhate ratim.
“In one chants this prayer with devotion in the morning, noon, sunset, or in the middle of the night, He will surely attain devotion and attraction for Lord Shri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu.
asadhya-roga-yukto ’pi, mucyate roga-sankaöat;
sarvaparadha-yukto ’pi so ’paradhat pramucyate.
“By reciting this prayer even if one is afflicted with an incurable disease, one becomes freed from all danger of the ailment. Even if one has committed all types of offenses and sins, one becomes immediately freed from their effects on reciting these names.
vancha purna samsiddhim, labhate natra samshayah;
ante chaitanya-devasya smritir bhavati shashvati.
“The chanter of this poem achieves the fulfillment of his innermost desires and ultimately all perfection in life. And at the time of death, he will attain the divine rememberance of Lord Chaitanyadeva and thus enter into His eternal blissful pastimes in the spiritual world.
sa klesha-rahito bhutva, prapnuyat sva-mano-ratham;
turnam chaitanya-devasya, karuna-bhajanam bhavet.
“The person who loudly recites these names will become free from all kinds of misery and attains the fulfillment of his most cherished desires. Very soon he will become the object of the mercy of Lord Chaitanyadeva.
namatmako gaura-devo, yasya cetasi vartate;
sa sarvam vishayam tyaktva, bhavanando bhaved dhruvam.
“One who allows Lord Shri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu to appear within His heart in the form of these 100 holy names, will become able to give up the poison of material existence and become filled with ecstatic love for the Lord.”
nityananda nityananda nityananda nityananda
gauranga gauranga gauranga gauranga
shri-krishna-chaitanya prabhu nityananda
shri-advaita gadadhara shrivasadi-gaura-bhakta-vrinda
“I offer my humble obeisances to Lord Shri Krishna Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, Shrila Nityananda Prabhu, Shrila Advaita Acarya, Shrila Gadadhara Pandita, Shrila Shrivasa Thakura and all the devotees of Lord Shri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu.”
Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare,
Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare.