|NITAAI-Veda.nyf > Other Scriptures by Acharyas > Sharanagati > Second Principle of Surrender|
Second Principle of Surrender:
Dedication of the Self
- Eight Songs -
na korolun karama, geyana nahi bhelo,
na sevilun carana tohar
jada-sukhe matiya, apanaku vanca-i,
pekhahun caudisha andhiyar
1) I have not performed any good works. I have not amassed any transcendental knowledge. I have never worshiped Your feet. Being intoxicated by sensual pleasures, I have simply cheated myself. Now I see only darkness in all directions.*
tuhun natha! karuna-nidan
tuwa pada-pankaje, atma samarpilun,
more kripa korobi vidhan
2) You, O Lord, are the fountainhead of all mercy. I surrender myself at Your lotus feet; kindly show me Your compassion.
pratijna tohara oi, jo hi sharanagata,
nahi so janabo paramad
so hama dushkriti, gati na hera-i ana,
ab magon tuwa parasad
3) It is Your promise that one who takes refuge in You will come to no harm. For a sinner like me I see no other shelter; therefore I beg You now for Your grace.
ana mano-ratha, nihshesha chodato,
kab hama haubun tohara
nitya-sevya tuhun, nitya-sevaka mui,
bhakativinoda bhava sara
4) O when will I know freedom from incessant material desires and thus become exclusively Yours? This is the sum of Bhaktivinoda’s musings-You are eternally to be served, and I am Your eternal servant.
(praneshwar!) kohobun ki sarama ki bat
aichana pap nahi, jo hama na koralun,
sahasra sahasra beri nath
1) O Lord of my life! How shall I tell You of my shameful story? There is no sin which I have not committed thousands of times and more, O Lord.*
sohi karama-phala, bhave moke pesha-i,
dokha deobo ab kahi
takhonaka parinam, kachu na bicaralun,
ab pachu taraite cahi
2) My life in this world has only been one of affliction and torment as a result of those sins. Who is there to blame for this misery? At the time I did not consider the consequences; but now, in the aftermath, I seek to be saved.
dokha vicara-i, tunhu danda deobi,
hama bhoga korabun samsar
karato gatagati, bhakata-jana-sange,
mati rohu carane tohar
3) After judging my sins, You will surely punish me befittingly, and I shall suffer the pangs of rebirth in this world. I only pray that, as I come and go through repeated births and deaths, my mind may ever dwell at Your lotus feet as I keep the company of Your devotees.
apana caturpana, tuwa pade sonpalun,
hridoya-garava dure gelo
dina-doya-moya, tuwa kripa niramala,
bhakativinoda asha bhelo
4) I offer this judicious prayer at Your feet: The pride of my heart has gone far away. O You who are so kind to the meek, Your spotlessly pure mercy has become Bhaktivinoda’s only hope.
manasa, deho, geho, jo kichu mor
arpilun tuwa pade, nanda-kishor!
1) Mind, body, family, and whatever else may be mine, I have surrendered at Your lotus feet, O youthful son of Nanda!
sampade vipade, jivane-marane
day mama gela, tuwa o-pada varane
2) In good fortune or in bad, in life or in death, all my difficulties have disappeared by accepting those feet of Yours as my only shelter.
marobi rakhobi jo iccha tohara
nitya-dasa prati tuwa adhikara
3) Slay me or protect me as You wish, for You have full authority over Your eternal servant.
janmaobi moe iccha jadi tor
bhakta-grihe jani janma hau mor
4) If it is Your wish that I be born again, then may I take birth in the home of Your devotee.
kita-janma hau jatha tuwa das
bahir-mukha brahma-janme nahi ash
5) May I be born again even as a worm, as long as I remain Your devotee. I have no desire to be born as a Brahma averse to You.*
bhukti-mukti-spriha vihina je bhakta
labhaite tanko sanga anurakta
6) I yearn for the company of that devotee who is completely devoid of all desire for worldly enjoyment or liberation.
janaka, janani, dayita, tanay
prabhu, guru, pati-tuhu sarva-moy
7) Father, mother, lover, son, Lord, preceptor, and husband-You are everything to me.
bhakativinoda kohe, shuno kana!
radha-natha! tuhun hamara parana
8) Bhaktivinoda says, “O Kana, please hear me! O Lord of Radha, You are my life and soul!”
`aham mama’-shabda-arthe jaha kichu hoy
arpilun tomara pade, ohe doya-moy!
1) All there is that may be indicated by the words aham (“I”) and mama (“mine”), I offer at Your lotus feet, O merciful Lord!
`amara’ ami to’ natha! na rohinu ar
ekhona hoinu ami kevala tomar
2) I no longer consider even myself to be “mine”, O Lord! Now I have become exclusively Yours.
`ami’ shabde dehi jiva ahamta chadilo
twadiyabhimana aji hridoye pashilo
3) The soul inhabiting this mortal body has given up the false ego attached to the word “I”, for today the spiritual sense of being Yours has entered his heart.
amar sarvasva-deho, geho anucar
bhai, bandhu, dara, suta, dravya, dwara, ghar
4) All my possessions-body, home, servants, brothers, friends, wife, sons, personal belongings, fencing and gateways…
se saba hoilo tava, ami hoinu das
tomara grihete ebe ami kori bas
5) …all of these things are now Yours, for I have become Your servant. I am but a mere occupant in Your house.
tumi griha-swami, ami sevaka tomar
tomara sukhete ceshta ekhona amar
6) You are the owner of the house, and I am Your most obedient servant. My only activity now is endeavoring for Your happiness.
sthula-linga-dehe mora sukrita dushkrita
ara mora nahe, prabhu! ami to’ nishkrita
7) Whatever pious or impious activities that were performed by me, either with my gross or subtle bodies, are no longer mine, O Lord, for I am redeemed!
tomara icchaya mora iccha mishailo
bhakativinoda aja apane bhulilo
8) My will has become merged with Your will. From this day forward Bhaktivinoda has completely for-gotten himself.
`amara’ bolite prabhu! are kichu nai
tumi-i amara matra pita-bandhu-bhai
1) O Lord, nothing further remains that may be called “mine.” Father, friend, brother-You alone are all these to me.
bandhu, dara, suta, suta-tava dasi das
sei to’ sambandhe sabe amara prayas
2) My friends, wife, sons and daughters are now Your servants and maidservants. Whatever care I take for them is only as they are related to You.
dhana, jana, griha, dara `tomara’ boliya
rakha kori ami matro sevaka hoiya
3) Declaring that my wealth, family members, home, and wife are truly Yours, I continue as a mere servant to dutifully protect them.
tomara karyera tore uparjibo dhan
tomara samsare-vyaya koribo vahan
4) For the purpose of Your service I will earn money and bear the expense of maintaining Your household.
bhalo-manda nahi jani seva matro kori
tomara samsare ami vishaya-prahari
5) I know nothing of what is good or bad; I simply render my service. I am but a watchman set to guard the properties of Your household.
tomara icchaya mora indriya-calana
shravana, darshana, ghrana, bhojana-vasana
6) I exercise my senses only according to Your direction, and thus I desire to hear, see, smell, and taste.
nija-sukha lagi’ kichu nahi kori ar
bhakativinoda bole, tava sukha-sar
7) I no longer do anything for my own pleasure. Bhaktivinoda says, “Your pleasure is the essence of everything.”
bastutah sakali tava, jiva keho noy
`aham’-`mama’-bhrame bhromi’ bhoge shoka-bhoy
1) In truth, all things belong to You; no jiva is ever the owner of anything. The tiny soul wanders in this world mistakenly thinking in terms of aham (“I am this material body and mind”), and mama (“everything related to this body is mine”). Thus he suffers the consequences of both sorrow and fear.
aham-mama-abhimana ei-matro dhan
baddha-jiva nija boli’ jane mane man
2) The conditioned soul thinks that all the things related to the false conceptions of “I” and “mine” are his exclusive treasures. Calling them his own, his mind is firmly convinced of this gross delusion.
sei abhimane ami samsare podiya
habudubu khai bhava-sindhu santariya
3) Due to such vanity, I also fell into this material world. Floundering in the ocean of mundane existence like a drowning man, I suffer the pangs of rising and sinking in that ocean.
tomara abhoya-pade loiya sharan
aji ami korilama atma-nivedan
4) I take shelter at Your lotus feet, which deliver one from fear, and dedicate the whole of myself to You on this day.
`aham’-`mama’-abhimana chadilo amay
ar jeno mama hride stana nahi pay
5) The false conception of thinking in terms of “I” and “mine” has left me now. May it never again find a place to settle within my heart.
ei matro bala prabhu! dibe he amare
ahamta-mamata dure pari rakhibare
6) Please give me this strength alone, O Lord, that I may be able to keep the false conceptions of “I” and “mine” far away.
atma-nivedana-bhava hride dridha roy
hasti-snana sama jeno khanika na hoy
7) May the mood of self-surrender to You remain firmly fixed in my heart and not prove to be momentary like the cleanliness of an elephant after a bath.
bhakativinoda prabhu nityananda pay
mage parasada, jahe abhimana jay
8) Bhaktivinoda begs at the lotus feet of Lord Nityananda for that grace which causes all illusory concepts of false pride to flee.
nivedana kori prabhu! tomara carane
patita adhama ami, jane tri-bhuvane
1) I submit at Your lotus feet, O Lord, that I am fallen and most wretched. This fact is known to the three worlds.
ama-sama papi nahi jagat-bhitore
mama sama aparadhi nahiko samsare
2) There is no sinner in the world more sinful than me. In the entire universe there is no offender whose offenses equal mine.
sei saba papa ara aparadha, ami
parihare pai lajja, saba jano’ tumi
3) By attempting to clear myself of all these sins and offenses I am put to shame. All this is surely understood by You.
tumi bina ka’ra ami loibo sharan?
tumi sarveshvareshvara, brajendra-nandan!
4) Of whom will I take shelter except for You? You are the Lord of all lords, O son of the King of Vraja!
jagat tomara natha! tumi sarva-moy
toma prati aparadha tumi koro’ kshoy
5) This world is Yours, O Lord, and You pervade all things in it. You dispel the sinful result of offenses committed against You.
tumi to’ skhalita-pada janera ashroy
tumi bina ara kiba ache, doya-moy!
6) You alone are the shelter of those whose feet stumble off the proper path. Apart from You, what else exists, O merciful Lord?
sei-rupa tava aparadhi jana jata
tomara sharanagata hoibe satata
7) All persons like me who have offended You will ultimately seek to achieve Your shelter.
bhakativinoda ebe loiya sharan
tuwa pade kore aj atma-samarpan
8) Bhaktivinoda now takes full shelter of You and surrenders himself at Your lotus feet on this very day.
atma-nivedana, tuwa pade kori’,
hoinu parama sukhi
duhkha dure gelo, cinta na rohilo,
caudike ananda dekhi
1) I have become supremely happy by surrendering myself at Your lotus feet. Sorrow has gone far away, and there are no more cares. All I see is joy in the four directions.
tahate ekhona, vishrama labhiya
chadinu bhavera bhoya
2) Your two lotus feet are reservoirs of immortal nectar that grant freedom from both sorrow and fear. Resting in them I have found peace, and have completely given up the fear of worldly existence.
tomara samsare, koribo sevana,
nahibo phalera bhagi
tava sukha jahe, koribo jatana,
ho’ye pade anuragi
3) I shall render service in Your household and never endeavor to enjoy the fruits of that service. Rather, I shall strive for whatever pleases You, being fully enamored by Your lotus feet.
tomara sevaya, duhkha hoya jato,
se-o to’ parama sukha
seva-sukha-duhkha, parama sampada,
4) All the troubles encountered in Your service shall be the cause of great happiness, for in Your devotional service joy and sorrow are equally great riches. Both destroy the misery of ignorance.
purva itihasa, bhulinu sakala,
seva-sukha pe’ye mane
ami to’ tomara, tumi to’ amara,
ki kaja apara dhane
5) I have completely forgotten all of my past history by feeling in my mind the great joy of Your service. I am indeed Yours, and You are truly mine. What need is there of any other treasure?
bhakativinoda, anande dubiya,
tomara sevara tare
saba ceshta kore, tava iccha-mato,
thakiya tomara ghare
6) Bhaktivinoda sinks deeply into the ocean of pure bliss by engaging in Your service. He devotes all his efforts according to Your wishes while living in Your house.