|NITAAI-Veda.nyf > Other Scriptures by Acharyas > Sharanagati > Introductory Song|
shri-krishna-chaitanya prabhu jive doya kori’
swa-parshada swiya dhama saha avatari’
1) Shri Krishna Chaitanya Prabhu descended from the eternal spiritual world along with His personal associates and divine abode, incarnating in this temporary material world out of compassion for the fallen souls.
atyanta durlabha prema koribare dana
shikhaya sharanagati bhakatera prana
2) In order to freely distribute the gift of ecstatic love of God, which is very difficult to obtain, He taught the path of sharanagati, devotional surrender to the Supreme Lord. This sharanagati is the very life of the true devotees.
dainya, atma-nivedana, goptritve varana
‘avashya rakshibe krishna’-vishvasa, palana
bhaki-anukula-matra karyera svikara
3-4) The six ways of surrender through sharanagati are (1) dainya-humility, (2) atma-nivedana-dedication of the self, (3) goptritve varana-acceptance of the Lord as one’s only maintainer, (4) the consciousness of `avashya rakshibe krishna’-`Krishna will surely protect me’-which is vishvasa (faith) in Krishna’s palana (protection), (5) bhaki-anukula-matra karyera svikara-execution of only those acts favorable to pure devotion, and (6) bhakti-pratikula-bhava varjanangikara-renunciation of conduct adverse to pure devotion.
shad-anga sharanagati hoibe jahara
tahara prarthana shune shri-nanda-kumara
5) Shri Nanda-Kumara, the youthful son of Nanda Maharaja, hears the prayers of anyone who takes refuge in Him by this six-fold practice of surrender.
rupa-sanatana-pade dante trina kori’
bhakativinoda pode duhun pada dhori’
6) Bhaktivinoda prostrates himself at the feet of Shri Rupa and Shri Sanatana Goswami, places a straw between his teeth, and clasps their lotus feet with his hands.
kandiya kandiya bole ami to’ adhama
shikhaye sharanagati koro he uttama
7) Weeping and weeping, he tells them, “I am certainly the lowest of men! Oh please make me the worthiest by teaching me the ways of sharanagati!”