|NITAAI-Veda.nyf > Other Scriptures by Acharyas > Navadvipa Krishna Chaitanya Holy Land > Bengal Holy Places > Uddharanapur|
The village of Uddharanapur is situated in the district of Vardaman, two miles north of Katwa on the banks of the river Ganges. The dear associate of Shri Nityananda Prabhu named Uddharana Datta Thakur resided at this place. His father was a wealthy gold merchant named Shrikara Datta. His mother's name was Bhadravati. The Deities which he worshiped are still being worshiped at this place, and his samadhi is here as well.
Shri Uddharana Datta Thakur was formerly the cowherd boy Subahu in Krishna Ilia, and he was one of the twelve gopas that descended from Goloka when Lord Baiaram appeared as Lord Nityananda. When Uddharana Datta finished his education, he entered householder life and later became a minister in the province of the king of Nahatti, near to Katwa. At that time he lived in this area, and in honor of his being such a great devotee of Shri Nityananda Prabhu, this village was named Uddharanapur.
Later on, upon receiving the causeless mercy of Shri Nityananda Prabhu, he gave up his opulent and wealthy life and left his home, wife, and children to exclusively render service to Prabhu Nityananda. He remained with Nitai and preached the glories of the Holy Name and devotional service. He left this world after the completion of Lord Nityananda's manifest pastimes at the age of 60, in the year 1463 Sakabda. Nearby there is an old neem tree that Nityananda Prabhu sat under when He came and stayed with Uddharana after leaving Khadadaha. Hare Krishna!