|NITAAI-Veda.nyf > NITAAI Forum Archives > Share > Ten principles of Bhakti yoga|
Title: Ten principles of Bhakti yoga
User: Damodara Svarupa dasa Date: 2007-02-10 08:53:13
from "The top 100 Names of God" by Swamiji Gaurangapada
1) Chant the Holy Names of Nityananda and Gauranga at least 1080 times daily and increase the chanting gradually. Also chant the Mahastotra and the 12, 100 and 108 Name Stotras of Lord Nityananda and Lord Gauranga.
2) Chant a minimum of 16 rounds of the Hare Krishna Maha Mantra daily on a tulasi mala with 108 beads. If possible gradually try to increase the quality and the quantity of your chanting till you can chant 64 rounds daily as per instructions of Lord Chaitanya and all acharyas.
3) Follow the four regulative principles
A) no eating of meat, fish, eggs, onion, garlic etc
B) no intoxication including tea, coffee etc
C) no gambling including frivolous sports
D) no illicit sex (sex outside of marriage or in marriage not
meant for the procreation of God conscious children)
4) Associate, hear, serve and do sankirtana with devotees who are
purely chanting the Naam without any duplicity.
5) Daily read the scriptures like Bhagavad Gita as it is, Shrimad
Bhagavatam, Shri Chaitanya Charitamrta by Shrila ACBSP Prabhupada and Shri Chaitanya Bhagavata, Shri Chaitanya mangala, Navadvipa Dhaam Mahatmya, Shri Chaitanya Chandramrita, Hari nama cintamani, Bhakti ratnakara etc which describe the pastimes of Lord Gaurahari.
6) Worship the Deities or picture of Shri Shri Nitai-Gauranga or Shri Pancha Tattva in your home. Whatever vegetarian food is cooked daily, please offer it to Deities and then partake the divine remnants (prasada) of the Lord.
7) Regularly visit the holy places of the Lord's pastimes like Navadvipa,
Vrindavana & Puri in association with the devotees.
8) Observe fasting twice a month on the holy days of Ekadashi and on
Janmashtami, Gaura Purnima, Nityananda Trayodasi, etc.
9) Daily worship the most holy Tulasi plant in your home.
10) Practice all the above nine items by taking shelter of and accepting
initiation from a living self-realized spiritual master in the
Brahma-Madhva-Gaudiya sampradaya of Lord Shri Krishna Chaitanya Mahaprabhu and the Vinoda Sarasvata line.