|NITAAI-Veda.nyf > NITAAI Forum Archives > Holy Days and Worship > Recipes > Sweet Tomato Sauce|
Title: Sweet Tomato Sauce
User: candrika Date: 2006-07-19 17:56:38
"His lips are sweet, His face is sweet, His eyes are sweet, His smile is sweet, His heart is sweet, His gait is sweet - everything is sweet about the original Lord of sweetness"
from Shri Madhurastakam: http://www.naam-yoga.com/vanibase/shri_madhurastakam.html, by Shrimad Vallabhacarya
(click the name to sing the whole song whilst preparing this prasadam)
SWEET TOMATO SAUCE
5 large ripe tomatoes (or a can chopped tomatoes)
1 cup water
1tbs ghee or oil
handful of chopped basil (whole tulasi leaves if available nb:Do not chop Tulasi and add at the end of preparing when cooled somewhat)
dash of vinegar
1 tbsp sugar or 1tbsp honey
1) Plunge the tomatoes into a pan of boiling water and when the skin starts to peel away remove and run under cold water.
2) Once cool enough to handle, peel the tomatoes.
3) Chop the tomatoes finely.
4) In a pan put the cup of water and add the chopped tomatoes, ghee, basil, salt, pepper and vinegar.
5) Simmer gently for upto an hour or until smooth and rich.
6) Add the sugar or honey and simmer for another minute then remove from the heat and serve.
1) For a pink sauce add cream or soft cheese.
2) Works well with chopped green or black olives or sun dried tomatoes
1) Serve with rice or pasta and some grilled paneer or V. Mozzarella
2) Can be used as a base sauce for many recipes.
Tomatoes are an abundant source of lycopene, a carotenoid and potent antioxidant that is good for the heart, the skin and is helpful in preventing many degenerative diseases.
Nityananda! Gauranga! Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare
Please go to the original blog entry here and contribute your valuable comments...: http://www.gaurangapada.org/blogs/viewblog.php?entry=37