|NITAAI-Veda.nyf > NITAAI Forum Archives > Holy Days and Worship > Recipes > Potatoes Gaur|
Title: Potatoes Gaur
User: candrika Date: 2006-07-15 16:27:08
This recipe is called Potatoes Gaur because when the dish comes from the oven, the heat turns it a golden color (gaur) which is reminiscent of the hue of the limbs (anga) of the Lord. GAURANGA!
In Shri Chaitanya Mangala when Gauranga is taking Jagannath Mahaprasad it is said that the dazzling effulgence from his body made Lord Jagannatha also appear golden at that time. So this golden color is very nice to remember the Lord and his pastimes.
2 potatoes (sliced or diced)
1tbs ghee or oil
pinch of asfoetida
pinch of rosemary or oregano
pinch of pepper
pinch of turmeric
200ml cream or creme fraiche
1tbs ghee or butter
75g hard cheese grated (such as vegetarian cheddar or parmesan)
1tbs fresh parsley (chopped)
1) Slice the potatoes and boil them for about 10 mins in water. Drain and put them in a casserole dish..
2) Heat the ghee or oil over a moderate heat and then add the asfoetida, saute for a few seconds.
3) Add the rosemary, pepper and turmeric and stir.
4) Add the sour cream, melted ghee, salt and water, whisk to make a smooth sauce and remove from the heat.
5) Combine the sauce with the potatoes in the dish. Cover with a layer of grated cheese and bake in the oven at 200c for about 30 mins, or until the top turns golden.
6) Garnish with the chopped parsley and serve.
Please go to the original blog entry here and contribute your valuable comments...: http://www.gaurangapada.org/blogs/viewblog.php?entry=22