|NITAAI-Veda.nyf > NITAAI Forum Archives > Holy Days and Worship > Recipes > Lemon Rice|
Title: Lemon Rice
User: candrika Date: 2006-07-23 20:33:24
Lord Gauranga Mahaprabhu travelled across South India and in South India they are expert in cooking lemon rice. So surely Gauranga was served variations of this recipe by the hospitable South Indians on his travels spreading the Holy Names.
1 1/2 cups rice
3 cups water
2 tbs ghee/butter
1) Grate 2-3 tbs of lemon peel and set aside
2) Squeeze the juice from the lemon and mix with the butter, rice, water, salt & pepper.
3) Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat, cover the pan and simmer gently until the rice has absorbed the liquid.
4) Remove from heat and stir in the lemon peel.
5) Sprinkle generously with grated coconut.
6) Serve as it is or toast under the grill for the coconut to turn golden.
1) Garnish with slices of lemon
2) Nice served along side vegetables such as Asparagus, peas, broccoli, celery, courgettes, aubergine, spinach, and also lettuce.
3) Nuts or lentils can be added to this rice dish to make it a complete meal.
4) Add a tsp of mustard seeds and some asfoetida for variety.
1) Rice is a complex carbohydrate.Complex carbohydrates are digested slowly, allowing the body to utilize the energy released over a longer period which is nutritionally efficient.
2) An average portion of rice (50g) provide about 11% of the estimated average daily requirement of protein. However the protein it contains is not complete and does not contain all the essential amino acids so should be combined with lentils or beans, as what is lacking in one is made up for by the other.
3) Using unprocessed brown rice will ensure that the B vitamin content is higher. Good for energy levels.
Nityananda! Gauranga! Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare
Please go to the original blog entry here and contribute your valuable comments...: http://www.gaurangapada.org/blogs/viewblog.php?entry=46