|NITAAI-Veda.nyf > NITAAI Forum Archives > Books By Swami Gaurangapada > Shikshashtaka > Shri Shikshashtaka (Being Translated)|
Title: Shri Shikshashtaka Verse One
User: Swami Gaurangapada Date: 2006-04-26 03:22:03
Shri Shikshashtaka By the Supreme Lord Gauranga Mahaprabhu
Verse One:† Cheto Darpana Maarjanam
Cleansing the Mirror of the Heart
anandaambudhi-vardhanam prati-padam purnaamritaasvaadanam
sarvaatma-snapanam param vijayate shri-krishna-sankirtanam
†Verse 1: Explanatory Translation by His Holiness Bhaktiratna Sadhu Swami Gaurangapada:
"All Glories, supreme victory and all-prevailing triumph to Shri Krishna Sankirtana, the ecstatic and loud chanting of the supreme glories of the Holy Names (Hare, Krishna, Radha, Gauranga, Nityananda etc.), Forms, Pastimes, Qualities, Abodes and Associates of the Supreme Absolute Truth Lord Shri Krishna performed by following in the footsteps of the great Associates of the Lord. Shri Krishna Sankirtana is the summit of all spiritual practices and is characteristized by the attainment of the following seven superexcellent and matchless results:
(1) Cheto darpana maarjana: Shri Krishna Sankirtana gradually but fully unstains, cleanses and purifies the mirror of the heart of each and every soul by eradicating the deep marks of the desires of dirty sensual enjoyment from the heart thus granting the vision, knowledge and direct realization of the soul's eternal constitutional relationship with the Lord and a glimpse of the entry into the five mellows of direct service to the Lord: neutrality, servitorship, fraternity, parenthood and conjugal love. This is the stage of bhajana kriya or beginning of the principal practice of chanting and hearing about the Lord practiced in the association of devotees (sadhu sanga) with faith (sraddha) in the Holy Names.
(2) Bhava maha davagni nirvapana: The great ambrosial shower of Shri Krishna Sankirtana snuffs out, quenches, extinguishes and fully terminates forever the blazing, searing and all-immolating gigantic forest fire of Bhava (nescience) which occurs due to the most terrorizing, horrifying and infinitely painful embodiment and transmigration of the spirit soul in the 8.4 million bodily species of life via the ghastly and repeated cycle of birth, old age, disease and death in this material creation. This forest fire of material existence which leads to the unlimited suffering of the souls for trillions of lives in this material creation but which is ended by Shri Krishna Sankirtana, was willingly ignited by the souls themselves from time immemorial due to misuse of their minute independence given to them by the Lord. This is the stage or anartha nivritti (or kleshaghni) or destruction of the unwanted things in the heart by the sheer and exclusive potency and power of Shri Krishna Sankirtana.
(3) Shreya kairava chandrika vitarana: The nectarine and peerless white-lotus blossoming moonlight of Shri Krishna Sankirtana radiates, disseminates and distributes to each and every soul in creation the supreme and the loftiest auspiciousness of Shreya i.e. the supreme benefit of the soul in the form of pure unalloyed devotional servitorship of the Lord in one's perfected spiritual body. This is the stage of nishtha or firm irrevocable attachment and ruchi or spontaneous attraction to hearing and chanting the glories of the Lord and also the stage of shubhada or the beginning of all auspiciousness for the soul.
(4) Vidya vadhu jivana: Shri Krishna Sankirtana is the very life, beginning, end, apex, and the inseparable and sweet bride of all branches of transcendental knowledge. This realization while performing Shri Krishna Sankirtana is achieved at the stage of asakti or magnetic and irresistible attachment to singing the glories of the Lord with the melting of the heart in pure love for the Lord.
(5) Anandambudhi vardhana: The moon of Shri Krishna Sankirtana increasingly agitates, expands and swells the already boundless and shoreless ocean of pure transcendental bliss and happiness of the soul in relation with the Lord. This stage is known as rati or bhaava and is most rarely attained (sudurlabha) by even the topmost transcendentalists. This stage is attained only by the causeless mercy of Shri Krishna Sankirtana and and it eclipses and belittles even the great achievement of moksha or liberation (moksha laghukrita) and makes it look very insignificant in comparison.
(6) Pratipadam purnamritasvadana: Shri Krishna Sankirtana guarantees the attainment of the direct audience of the Lord resulting in the undivided relish and savoring of the complete and unabridged nectar of pure love for the Lord at each and every step while chanting and hearing the glories of the Lord. At this stage of prema or pure love, the devotees experiences sandrananda visheshatma or the supremely condensed nectar of all forms of transcendental bliss and ecstasy.
(7) Sarvatma snapana: Shri Krishna Sankirtana thoroughly bathes, inundates and overwhelms one's whole self within and without including the soul's spiritual senses, mind and intelligence with the unadulterated ocean of rasa or pure nectarean mellows of love for the Lord. This is the final stage known as shri krishna akarshini where the ecstatic blissful symptoms developed by the pure love of the devotee through Shri Krishna Sankirtana enchant and attract even the Supreme Lord Himself who thus manifests in full in front of that devotee with His Name, Form, Pastimes, Qualities, Associates and Abodes."
Title: Shri Shikshashtaka Verse Two
User: Swami Gaurangapada Date: 2006-04-26 03:28:29
Shri Shikshashtakam††††††††††††† by the Supreme Lord Gauranga Mahaprabhu
††††††††††† Verse Two: Namnam Akari
††††††††††† All Potencies in the Holy Names
†††††††††††† naamnaam akaari bahudhaa nija-sarva-shaktis,
††††††††††† tatraarpita niyamitah smarane na kaalah;
††††††††††† etaadrishi tava kripaa bhagavan mamaapi,
††††††††††† durdaivam idrisham ihaajani naanuraagah.
†††††††††††††††††††††† Verse 2: Explanatory††††††††††††† Translation by His Holiness Bhaktiratna Sadhu Swami Gaurangapada:†††††††††††††
(In this verse 2, the Supreme Lord Gauranga, Who is Lord Krishna Himself††††††††††††† and always above all offenses is taking the role of a conditioned††††††††††††† soul in order to teach us by His own example the mood in which to††††††††††††† successfully approach His Holy Names.)
††††††††††† "O Supreme Personality of Godhead Lord Krishna, the unlimited Possessor††††††††††††† of the six opulences in full of wealth, beauty, strength, fame, knowledge††††††††††††† and renunciation, You have most mercifully and compassionately impregnated††††††††††††† and invested Your own Holy Names with Your entire potencies and energies††††††††††††† in full without any exception. Thus, You Yourself and the sound vibration†††††††††† †††of Your principal Holy Names are the same non-dual and undivided Absolute††††††††††††† Truth. Therefore there remains no difference whatsoever between You††††††††††††† and Your divine Holy Names and You are directly and personally present††††††††††††† with Your entire potencies whenever and wherever Your Holy Names are††††††††††††† vibrated or heard. There is not even any hard and fast rules or considerations††††††††††††† of time, place, situation, cleanliness, qualification and any other††††††††††††† external conditions for remembering or chanting Your Holy names. They††††††††††††† can be chanted at all the times, in all situations and in all places.††††††††††††† Inspite of You making it so sublime and easy for Me to experience††††††††††††† and realize You constantly, simply through the chanting of Your divine††††††††††††† Holy Names, it is My greatest misfortune that I have not been able††††††††††††† to awaken and develop spontaneous attraction, attachment and devotion††††††††††††† to the incessant chanting of Your Holy Names due to My ten offenses††††††††††††† to Your Holy Names."
Nityananda! Gauranga! Hare Krishna! If you are receiving this message by email, please click the post title link above and go to the video page to view the below videos. This video can also be viewed on the Download 1st video (6 MB): "http://www.naam-yoga.com/frames.html"]Naam-Yoga home page video player at the following location: 02-Holy-Books-Recitation-Videos -> 00002-Shikshashtaka -> 02-All-Potencies-in-Holy-Name.flv. [URL="http://www.naam-yoga.org/Flash-Videos/02-Holy-Books-Recitation-Videos/00002-Shikshashtaka/02-All-Potencies-in-Holy-Name.flv" (Right-click and save target or link as).
Title: Shri Shikshashtaka Verse Three
User: Swami Gaurangapada Date: 2006-04-26 03:38:07
† Shri Shikshashtakam By the Supreme Lord Gauranga Mahaprabhu
VerseThree: Trinad Api
More Humble Than Straw
†trinaad api sunicena, taror iva sahishnunaa;
amaaninaa manadena, kirtaniyah sadaa harih.
†Verse 3: Explanatory Translation by His Holiness Bhaktiratna Sadhu Swami Gaurangapada:
"One can continously chant the Holy Names of Lord Shri Hari and achieve pure love for the Lord only if one possesses the following four qualities (ornaments) of genuine humility deep within one's heart:
(1) Trinad api sunichena: One who chants the Holy Names should feel oneself more low and insignificant than a blade of straw. By nature, the straw always remains on the ground at the feet of everyone, waiting to be trampled. When someone tramples over a blade of straw, the straw never raises its head to protest in any way. The straw also renders an important service to the cows who eat it and produce milk which in turn is offered to the Lord. But the straw never claims itself to be significant in any way. Similarly a devotee chanting the Holy Names should always be totally free from false ego just like the straw and always feel oneself as a humble servant of the servants of the Lord. The trinad api sunichena mood is not attained by deceitfully feigning external showbottle humility but it is the deep realization within one's heart when the transcendental mellows of the Holy Name begin to appear within the heart of a devotee.
(2) Taror iva sahishnuna: The devotee chanting the Holy Names should be forebearing, tolerant and long-suffering just like a tree. When someone comes to cut down the tree, it silently tolerates the attack without any complaints. Even though the wood-cutter is just about to kill the tree, instead of thinking him to be its enemy, the tree forgives him and desires to charitably serve the wood-cutter by giving it's body to him and offering him it's wood, bark, sweet and succulent fruits, flowers, sap and cooling shade without expecting anything in return. The tree patiently stands alone bearing the scorching heat, blistering cold and lashing rains, and unconditionally provides the shelter and protection of its soothing shade from all hardships, to those who pass by irrespective of who they are. Also the tree never demands supply of water even when it is drying up and on the verge of death. The essence of the tree's whole existence is to willingly tolerate everything for the sake of benefitting and maintaining others. This should be the consciousness of a devotee chanting the Holy Names. Only the devotee who manifests these forebearing qualities of a tree will unfailingly succeed in the incessant chanting of the Holy Names of the Lord.
(3) Amanina: The devotee should strongly abhor, despise and totally reject the subtle vicious desire to expect any kind of respect, honor, adoration or recognition inspite of having every reasons to be proud. One should neither aspire for nor accept any kind of worship or eulogizing from others in one's thoughts, words and deeds. One should totally reject the subtle designations of mundane ego and false prestige in order to have a spotless heart which is conducive to chant the pure Holy Names without any interruption.
(4) Manadena: Understanding that every soul in every species of life is an eternal servant of Lord Krishna, a devotee chanting the Holy Names, should offer respects and honor to all souls by sweet and sincere words and auspicious behavior. Also understanding that the Lord dwells within their hearts, the devotee should offer obeisances with utmost humility to all souls, except for those who are critical or envious of the Lord and His devotees who should be avoided. The devotee should never bear any feeling of malice or vengeance towards any living entity in creation. A devotee should try not to give any kind of trouble to other living entities during the course of one's life and should forsake one's own happiness in trying to make other souls happy in devotional service to the Lord. The devotee should understand that the miseries in his or her life are caused by his or her own past misdeeds and not hold any other living entity or the Lord responsible for it and should infact thank the Lord for the suffering and accept it for his or her purification and advancement with genuine gratefulness to the Lord and all living entities.
Ornamented with these above four divine qualities: (1) Being more humble than a straw, (2) Being tolerant just like a tree, (3) Devoid of the desire to accept respect and honor and avoiding it at all costs at all times, and (4) Giving respect and honor to all souls in all ways; a devotee becomes qualified to offenslessly chant the pure Holy Names of Lord Krishna constantly with great attachment, realization and love."
Title: Shri Shikshashtaka Verse Four
User: Swami Gaurangapada Date: 2006-04-26 03:44:59
† Shri Shikshashtakam By the Supreme Lord Gauranga Mahaprabhu
Verse Four: Na Dhanam
No Desire for Material Things
†na dhanam na janam na sundarim, kavitaam vaa jagadisha kaamaye;
mama janmani janmanishvare, bhavataad bhaktir ahaituki tvayi.
†Verse 4: Explanatory Translation by His Holiness Bhaktiratna Sadhu Swami Gaurangapada:
(In this verse 4, the Supreme Lord Gauranga, Who is Lord Krishna Himself, is taking the role of a conditioned soul in order to teach us by His own example how we should aspire for pure devotion.)
"Oh My dear Lord Krishna, the master and controller of the whole creation, I do not desire from You the following insignificant types of material sense gratification:
Na Dhanam: I do not have any desire to ask You for material wealth, opulence, riches and possessions because they are simply temporary pieces of glass in comparison to the eternal crest-jewel of pure love for You which you can grant me. One who approaches You for material wealth is simply a merchant, not Your unalloyed servant. No matter how many varieties of sense-gratification which can be enjoyed in this world by acquiring money, I have simply no desire for any of them. I do not want sovereignity over the entire earth or the heavenly planets or the lower planets. Nor do I desire the eight primary or eighteen secondary mystic perfections hankered for by the yogis and not even the five kinds of liberation.
Excessive attachment to accumulating and hoarding wealth is the root cause for the soulís entanglement in all other kinds of sense-gratification, and thus the reason for the spiritual degradation of the embodied soul. It acts like an iron shackle which binds the conditioned soul to this material world.
Na Janam: I have no desire for material fame, following, prestige and reputation which is considered as subtle sense-gratification and acts like insidious poison for the conditioned soul. Aspiring for mass following makes one very puffed up with false ego thus obstructing one from feelingly chanting Your holy names. Intoxicated by the mundane praise and flattery of the so-called followers, the soul claims to be Your competitor. Thus I do not desire these objects which are the cherishable goals of all the non-devotees.
Na Sundarim: I do not aspire to attract the opposite sex nor for the flickering and inferior pleasure which is momentarily felt in that association. This topmost pleasure in the material world is like a whirlwind which blinds the soul into a state of perpetual forgetfulness of You.
Kavitaam: I do not desire to become an erudite scholar for the purpose of understanding and describing the various philosophies of this world using flowery language just to impress others. As life is short, I do not want to waste any time in trying to describe or comment on anything other than pure devotional service unto You.
My singular desire is to attain Your direct devotional service in Your spiritual world, but My dear Lord Krishna, if You so desire,† I am even willing to take birth again and again in this material world as a human being or an animal or a bird etc. But in such a case My ardent prayer to You is to please give Me a chance to render pure, causeless and unmotivated devotional service unto You in each and every birth I take."
Title: Shri Shikshashtaka Verse Five
User: Swami Gaurangapada Date: 2006-04-26 03:48:39
Shri Shikshashtakam††††††††††††† by the Supreme Lord Gauranga Mahaprabhu
††††††††††† Verse Five: Ayi Nanda Tanuja Kinkaram
††††††††††† Please Pick Me Up
†††††††††††† ayi nanda-tanuja kinkaram,
††††††††††† patitam maam vishame bhavaambudhau;
††††††††††† kripayaa tava paada-pankaja-
††††††††††† sthita-dhuli-sadrisham vichintayaa.
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Verse 5: Explanatory††††††††††††† Translation by His Holiness Bhaktiratna Sadhu Swami Gaurangapada:
(In this verse 5, the Supreme Lord Gauranga, Who is Lord Krishna Himself,††††††††††††† is taking the role of a conditioned soul in order to teach us by His††††††††††††† own example how to pray to Him.)
††††††††††† "Oh My Lord Krishna, Your appearance in this world is fully transcendental††††††††††††† but still You have chosen to appear as the divine son of Your great††††††††††††† devotee Nanda Maharaja. Since You are very pleased when someone addresses††††††††††††† You in connection with Your pure devotees, I am addressing You as††††††††††††† the son of Nanda Maharaja with the ardent hope that You will hear††††††††††††† this desperate prayer of Mine. Constitutionally as per My original††††††††††††† nature, I am Your eternal part and parcel and thus Your menial and††††††††††††† obedient servant.
Ill-fatedly due to the woeful misuse of My own free††††††††††††† will which has been granted to Me by You, I have succumbed to Your††††††††††††† illusory energy and hopelessly fallen into this dreadful and unsurmountable††††††††††††† ocean of birth and death of this material world. While hopelessly††††††††††††† drowning in this tortorous ocean of material miseries, I am being††††††††††††† unceasingly and painfully swallowed by the gigantic sharks and crocodiles††††††††††††† of My own lust, anger, greed, pride, envy and bodily illusion.
As††††††††††††† if this is not enough, I am tightly bound up by the heavy chains of My own wicked and sinful desires which is further hastening My doom.††††††††††††† As the last and final resort, I am helplessly crying out to You, the†††††††††† †††only ultimate shelter of the destitute, to mercifully pick Me up from††††††††††††† this dire straits and kindly consider to place Me as a tiny particle††††††††††††† of dust at Your lotus feet which is where I eternally and originally††††††††††††† belong."
Nityananda! Gauranga! Hare Krishna! If you are receiving this message by email, please click the post title link above and go to the video page to view the below video. This video can also be viewed on the Download 1st video (6 MB) : "http://www.naam-yoga.com/frames.html"]Naam-Yoga home page video player at the following location: 02-Holy-Books-Recitation-Videos -> 00002-Shikshashtaka -> 05-Please-Pick-Me-Up.flv. [URL="http://www.naam-yoga.org/Flash-Videos/02-Holy-Books-Recitation-Videos/00002-Shikshashtaka/05-Please-Pick-Me-Up.flv"(Right-click and save target or link as).