|NITAAI-Veda.nyf > Holy Days of the Year > Holy Days > Srimati Lalitadevi's Appearance Day|
Title: Shrimati Lalitadevi's Appearance Day
User: Damodara Svarupa dasa Date: 2005-03-09 20:51:03
Shrimati Lalitadevi's Appearance Day -- By Swami Gaurangapada
Shri Lalita devi's characteristics
Of the eight sakhis, Lalita-devi is the foremost. She is a very dear friend of Radha-Krishna and she is 27 years older than Shrimati Radharani.
Lalitadevi is well-known for her transcendental contradictory and hot tempered nature. Her complexion is the color of gorocana (bright yellow pigment prepared from the urine of a cow) and her garments are the color of peacock feathers.
Her mother is Saradi-devi and her father is Visoka. Her husband is Bhairava who is a close friend of Govardhana-gopa (husband of Candravali).
Rupa manjari (Rupa Goswami) is the assistant and follower of Lalita-sakhi; thus all who consider themselves as Rupanuga bhaktas (followers of Rupa Goswami) are ultimately the servants of lalita-devi and thus through the media of the parampara should always be longing to engage in the service of her lotus feet. When that day comes that we are able to please her, she will engage us in the intimate loving service of Shri Shri radha-Krishna according to our heart's desire.
Lalita-sakhi incarnated as Svarupa Damodara in the pastimes of Lord Gauranga Mahaprabhu and acted as his personal secretary. In fact, no one could approach or present anything to Gauranga Mahaprabhu without his sanction.
"Shri Svarupa Damodara was the personification of ecstatic love, fully cognizant of the highest transcendental mellows in relationship with Lord Krishna. He directly represented Shri Gauranga Mahaprabhu as His second expansion.
If someone wrote a book or composed verses and songs and wanted to recite them before Shri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, Svarupa Damodara would first examine them and then correctly present them. Only then would Shri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu agree to listen."
Lalita-sakhi and her assistants incarnate from time to time in the material realm to propogate the topmost mood of serving Radha-Krishna, namely to become a maid-servant of Shrimati Radharani.
Shrimati Lalita-devi's Appearance DayShri Lalita devi's characteristics
Shrimati Lalita-devi's Appearance Day
Mother's Name: Saradi
Father's Name: Visoka
Husband's Name: Bhairava
Complexion: Like gorochana, a type of yellow pigment
Cloth: Sikhi-piccha, like peacock feathers
Grove: Her kunja to the North of Radha-kunda, named Lalitanandada, is colored tadid i,e, like lightening, with many ruby-studded features.
Service: Her special seva is serving tambula, betel-nuts.
Age: In the Nikunja-lila, her eternal age is 14 years, 8 months, 27 days; she is the eldest sakhi.
Birthday: Sravana Sukla Ekadashi, the 11th day of the waxing moon in the month of Sravana.
Mood: Her bhava is khandita, or a jealous heroine who chastises her beloved. This pure mood is never manifest in relation to herself, however but only when there is a delay in the meeting of the Divine Couple.
Temperament: Vama-prakhara, contrary and hot-tempered to enhance the pastimes of Radha & Krishna.
Favourite Instrument: Vina
Favourite Tune: Raga bhairava-kalingada
Maidservant: Her chief assistant is Shri Rupa-manjari.
Girlfriends: Her 8 closest sakhis are Ratna-prabha, Rati-kala, Subhadra, Bhadra-rekhika, Sumukhi, Dhanishtha, Kala-hamsi, Kalapini.
(1) The leader of all the sakhis of Shrimati Radharani
(2) Very magnanimous like her father
(3) The instigator of most pastimes
(4) Always displays contrariness to Krishna's suggestions
(5) Frequently becomes angry and speaks outrageously insolent retorts to increase the intensity of the loving affairs between Radha & Krishna.
(6) Brilliant in composing and and understanding riddles
(7) Unparalleled in fashioning things with flowers including awnings, dancing areans, umbrellas, couches, bowers
(8) Expert in permorming magic tricks and juggling.
Identity in Gauranga-lila:
148-150 Shrila Svarupa Damodara Gosvami has also confirmed that the goddess of fortune, who appeared in Vrndavana and was very dear to Lord Krishna, has now appeared as Shri Gadadhara Pandita, who is filled with love for Lord Chaitanya Mahaprabhu. Lalita-gopi always follows Shrimati Radharani, and therefore she is known as Anuradha (Radha's follower). When Shrimati Radharani appeared as Gadadhara Pandita, Lalita followed her, entering the body of Gadadhara Pandita. Therefore, Gadadhara Pandita is the incarnation of both Shrimati Radharani and Lalita-gopi. This is described in the following statement of Chaitanya-candrodaya-nataka.
151. "Gadadhara, the best of the brahmanas, is the incarnation of both Shrimati Radharani and Lalita-gopi. These two are the transcendental potencies of the Lord, and since the Lord is in one sense not different from His potencies, it may be said that He is present wherever His potencies go. For this reason it may be said that Lord Hari is also present in the body of Gadadhara Pandita. Gadadhara is therefore the incarnation of three persons: Shrimati Radharani, Lalita-gopi, and Lord Hari."
152. Some say that Dhruvananda Brahmacari is the incarnation of Lalita-gopi. This opinion is also correct, for Lalita-gopi appeared as both Gadadhara Pandita and Dhruvananda Brahmacari.
122-124 From all this we may conclude that Ramananda Raya is the incarnation of Lalita-gopi, Arjuniya-gopi, and Pandava Arjuna.
(From Gaura Gannodesa Dipika by Shrila Kavi Karnapura)
Some say that Svarupa Damodar Goswami is an incarnation of Lalita-devi.
radhe! tava priya-sakhim ca guru sakhinam
tambula-bhakti-lalitam lalitam namami
Whose enchanting complexion is just like yellow gorocana pigment
Whose lovely dress is the aura of peacock tail-feathers
O Radhe! Who is Your dear girlfriend and the guru of all the gopis
Who is so graceful in her devoted service of betel nuts
I humbly bow at the lotus feet of that Shrimati Lalita Devi.
From Shri Radha Krishna Gannodesa Dipika by Shrila Rupa Goswami
THE CLASSIC PRAYER TO LALITA-DEVI BY RAGHUNATHA DASA GOSWAMI
(in tune of the Sad-goswami-astaka)
sAndra-prema-rasaih plutA priyatayA prAgalbhyam AptA tayoh
prAna-prestha-vayasyayor anudinam lilAbhisAram kramaih
vaidagdhyena tathA sakhim prati sadA mAnasya shiksAm rasair
yeyam kArayatiha hanta lalitA grhnAtu sA mAm ganaih
Flooded with the nectar of intense love for her two friends (Shri Shri Radha-Krishna), who are more dear to her than her own life, affectionately arrogant in Their presence, and daily arranging for Their rendezvous, Lalita-devi expertly teaches her friend Radha the art of jealous anger. I pray Lalita-devi will one day accept me as one of her associates.
(translation by Kusakratha prabhu)
Let us all sing this today and pray for the mercy of Shrimati Lalita-devi.
SRI LALITASTAKAM by Shrila Rupa Goswami
1. I offer my obeisances to Lalita devi, who has many wonderful qualities. She worships the perspiration of Shri Shri Radha-Mukunda's lotus feet and acts boldly, out of intense feelings of friendship for Them.
2. I offer my obeisances to Lalita devi, who has many wonderful qualities. Her face defeats the beauty of the ambrosial corona of the full moon, her eyes are like those of an alarmed deer and she is expert in the art of decorating Shri Radhika.
3. I offer my obeisances to Lalita devi, who has many wonderful qualities. She wears a wonderful silk dress colored like a peacock with outstretched feathers, as well as a nice blouse, and her complexion defeats the golden splendour of gorocana.
4. I offer my obeisances to Lalita devi, who has many wonderful qualities. She teaches Shri Radhika the art of a left-wing heroine saying: "Radhe! Firmly reject this shrewd son of the king of Vraja, O immoral girl! Listen! Don't be weak! I'm saying it for Your own good. Don't submit to Him!"
5. I offer my obeisances to Lalita devi, who has many wonderful qualities. Her eyes become red with anger if she sees the son of the king of Vraja cheating Shri Radhika even slightly, then she will promptly embarrass Him with her clever words.
6. I offer my obeisances to Lalita devi, who has many wonderful qualities. She is the abode of affection for the Queen of cowherders, Yasoda, she is the teacher of the art of friendship for all the sakhis and her love for Shri Radhika and Krishna is equal.
7. I offer my obeisances to Lalita devi, who has many wonderful qualities. She requests every girl in Vraja to join the party of Vrsabhanu's daughter and who fulfills all desires of that girl (or of Shri Radhika).
7a. I offer my obeisances to Lalita devi, who has many wonderful qualities. All her desires were at once fulfilled when she saw the path of Shri Radha in Vraja being blocked by a certain person.
8. I offer my obeisances to Lalita devi, who has many wonderful qualities. She always enjoys the festival of Radha and Vrajendrasuta's meeting and she is the chief of all Radha's dear girlfriends in Gokula.
9. Anyone who recites these prayers praising Lalita's wonderful qualities with a pure vision will be lovingly counted amongst her own (friends or maidservants) by Shri Radhika, the brilliant desire vine of the family of the Lord of Kirtida (King Vrsabhanu).
End of Lalitastakam.
SRI LALITA KUNDA
We can offer our obeisances to Shri Lalita Kunda with the following mantra:
kundau nira-manoharau (Skanda Purana)
I offer my obeisances to Shri Lalita Kunda which is most beautiful with sparkling water, which grants liberation to the bather, which is most auspicious manifestation of Lalita Devi's love for Shri Krishna and which destroys all the obstacles on the path of pure devotional service.
Lalitadevi had along with Mohan (Krishna), called 68 tirthas (holy places) to come & reside in her kunda and afford everyone the benefit of becoming free from the six types of hatya (murder): bhrna-hatya (abortion), krimi-hatya (killing of worms & insects), go-hatya (cow slaughter), brahma-hatya (killing of brahmans), svana-hatya, atma-hatya (suicide).
Ofcourse this pastime was in preparation for the appearance of Radha Kinda which took place when Krishna killed Aristasura (a demon in the shape of a bull). After Krishna killed Arista, He took a dip in Lalita Kunda to free Himself of the sin of gohatya. The internal reason being that He wished to get the association of Shrimati Radharani and enjoy the pastime of creating Their kundas (Radha Kunda & Shyama Kunda). And to attain Radharani's association, He has to first please and get help of Lalitadevi, who is the dearmost friend and guardian of Shrimati Radharani. What to speak of an ordinary living entity, even Lord Krishna has to approach Lalitadevi first and by her blessings He could have His desire fulfilled.
When Krishna met Radharani that night, She told Him that due to His having killed a bull, he would have to go and bathe in all the holy places first to become purified. Krishna informed Her that He had bathed in Lalita's kunda which purified one of the sins of six kinds of murder due to the presence of the major tirthas. Radharani's sakhis challenged Him that they did not see, feel or hear those tirthas enter Lalita's kunda so how could they possibly accept. Then Krishna, in front of all of them called all the holy places in person and had them introduce themselves before entering into His kunda, so that later the gopi girls could not challenge Him. When Lalita saw all that fun, she took some of the waters of Radha-kunda and Shyama-kunda and poured them into her own kunda, after ehich the water of Shyama-kunda burst through the embankment to mingle with the water of Lalita-kubda in divine union.
In the same way Radha-kunda and Shyama-kunda are non-different to Radha Krishna, so Lalita's kunda is her liquid form. Lalita-kunda is all merciful and by coming in contact with her water, bowing down to offer prayers and remebering her, onw will very quickly attain the mercy of Radha-kunda and be able to get an eternal residence close to her.
Shrimati Lalita-devi's Appearance Day Ki Jai!