|NITAAI-Veda.nyf > Compiled and Imp Scriptures > Vaishnava Song Book > Upadesavali|
Upadeshavali of Shri Shrimad Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Prabhupada
1. “Param vijayate shri-krishna-sankirtanam - supreme victory to the congregational
chanting of Krishna’s names” - this is the Shri Gaudiya Matha’s sole object of
2. Shri Krishna, who is the vishaya-vigraha or the object of the devotee’s prema, is the
sole enjoyer and all others are to be enjoyed by Him.
3. Those who don’t perform hari-bhajana are ignorant and murderers of their own
4. The acceptance of Shri Harinama and direct realization of Bhagavan are one and
5. Those who equate the demigods with Vishnu are unable to serve Bhagavan.
6. Establishing a printing press to print devotional books and preaching by
organizing nama-hatta programs constitutes genuine service to Shri Mayapura.
7. We are not doers of good or bad deeds, nor are we scholars or illiterate. Carrying
the shoes of Hari’s pure devotees as our duty, we are initiates into the mantra
“kirtaniyah sada hari.”
8. Preaching without proper conduct falls within the category of karma, mundane
activity. Without criticizing the nature of others, one should correct one’s self
- this is my personal instruction.
9. Serving the Vrajavasis who felt great separation from Krishna when He left Vraja
to reside in Mathura is our supreme constitutional occupation.
10. If we desire to follow an auspicious course in life, then disregarding the theories
of even countless people we should hear instructions only from a transcendental
11. Life as an animal, bird, insect, or any other of the countless thousands of species
is acceptable, but taking shelter of deceit is thoroughly improper. Only an honest
person possesses real auspiciousness.
12. Simple-heartedness is synonymous with Vaishnavism. Servants of a paramahamsa
Vaishnava should be simple-hearted, a quality which makes them the topmost
13. Helping to draw conditioned souls away from their perverted attachment to the
material energy is the greatest compassion. If even one soul is rescued from
Mahamaya’s fortress, that compassionate act is infinitely more benevolent than
the construction of unlimited hospitals.
14. We have not come to this world to be construction workers; we are the bearers
of Shri Chaitanyadeva’s instructions.
15. We will not remain in this world for long, and by profusely performing hariki
rtana, upon relinquishing these material bodies we will experience the ultimate
reward of embodied life.
16. The foot-dust of Shri Rupa Gosvami, the fulfiller of Shri Chaitanyadeva’s inner
desires, is our lives’ sole desired object.
17. If I were to desist from lecturing about the Absolute Truth due to being fearful
that some listeners may be displeased, I would be deviating from the path of
Vedic truth and accepting the path of untruth. I would become one who is
inimical to the Vedas, an atheist, and would no longer possess faith in Bhagavan,
the very embodiment of truth.
18. Krishna’s darshana can only be attained through the medium of the ear as one hears
hari-katha from pure Vaishnavas; there is no other way.
19. Wherever hari-katha is being spoken is a holy place.
20. Proper shravana, hearing, is accomplished through the medium of kirtana, and
this will give one the good opportunity to practice smarana, remembrance. Then
internal experience of rendering direct service to the ashtakaliya-lila, Shri Radha-
Krishna’s pastimes in each of the eight parts of the day, becomes possible.
21. We should understand that the loud calling out of Shri Krishna’s names is bhakti.
22. Bhagavan will not accept anything which is offered by a person who doesn’t
chant harinama one-hundred thousand times daily.
23. By sincerely endeavoring to chant harinama without offences and remaining
fixed in chanting constantly, one’s offences will fade and pure Harinama will
arise on the tongue.
24. As mundane thoughts arise while taking harinama, one should not become
discouraged. A secondary consequence of taking harinama is that these useless
mundane thoughts will gradually dissipate; therefore one should not worry
about this. By dedicating one’s mind, body, and words to serving Shri Nama and
continuing to chant with great persistence, Shri Nama Prabhu will grant one
darshana of His supremely auspicious transcendental form. And by continuing to
chant until one’s anarthas are fully eradicated, by the power of Shri Nama realization
of His form, qualities and pastimes will automatically arise.