|NITAAI-Veda.nyf > Compiled and Imp Scriptures > Sharanagati|
Please support Dasharatha-suta dasa for his wonderful translations by purchasing the paper books from http://www.nectarbooks.com/list.htm
by Shrila Bhaktivinoda
-originally published in 1893-
50 Bengali songs outlining the six-fold process of submissive surrender unto the Supreme Lord
translation by Dasharatha-suta dasa
Dedicated to His Divine
A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada
who fulfilled the predictions of Bhaktivinoda Thakura
by making Krishna Consciousness available
to the entire world
Drop of Mercy(1)
shri-krishna-chaitanya prabhu jive
swa-parshada swiya dhama saha avatari'
1) Shri Krishna Chaitanya Prabhu descended from the eternal spiritual world along with His personal associates and divine abode, incarnating in this temporary material world out of compassion for the fallen souls.
atyanta durlabha prema koribare dana
shikhaya sharanagati bhakatera prana
2) In order to freely distribute the gift of ecstatic love of God, which is very difficult to obtain, He taught the path of sharanagati, devotional surrender to the Supreme Lord. This sharanagati is the very life of the true devotees.
dainya, atma-nivedana, goptritve
'avashya rakshibe krishna'-vishvasa, palana
bhaki-anukula-matra karyera svikara
3-4) The six ways of surrender through sharanagati are (1) dainya-humility, (2) atma-nivedana-dedication of the self, (3) goptritve varana-acceptance of the Lord as one's only maintainer, (4) the consciousness of 'avashya rakshibe krishna'-'Krishna will surely protect me'-which is vishvasa (faith) in Krishna's palana (protection), (5) bhaki-anukula-matra karyera svikara-execution of only those acts favorable to pure devotion, and (6) bhakti-pratikula-bhava varjanangikara-renunciation of conduct adverse to pure devotion.
shad-anga sharanagati hoibe jahara
tahara prarthana shune shri-nanda-kumara
5) Shri Nanda-Kumara, the youthful son of Nanda Maharaja, hears the prayers of anyone who takes refuge in Him by this six-fold practice of surrender.
rupa-sanatana-pade dante trina kori'
bhakativinoda pode duhun pada dhori'
6) Bhaktivinoda prostrates himself at the feet of Shri Rupa and Shri Sanatana Goswami, places a straw between his teeth, and clasps their lotus feet with his hands.
kandiya kandiya bole ami to' adhama
shikhaye sharanagati koro he uttama
7) Weeping and weeping, he tells them, "I am certainly the lowest of men! Oh please make me the worthiest by teaching me the ways of sharanagati!"
bhuliya tomare, samsare asiya,
peye nana-vidha byatha
tomara carane, asiyachi ami,
bolibo duhkhera katha
1) O Lord, I forgot You and came to this material world, where I have experienced a host of pains and sorrows. Now I approach Your lotus feet and submit my tale of woe.
janani-jathare, chilama jakhona,
eka-bara prabhu! dekha diya more,
vancile e dina dase
2) While still bound up tightly in the unbearable confines of my mother's womb, O Lord, You once revealed Yourself before me. Appearing only briefly, You then abandoned this poor servant of Yours.
takhona bhavinu, janama paiya,
koribo bhajana tava
janama hoilo, podi' maya-jale,
na hoilo jnana-lava
3) At that moment I thought, "After my birth, I will worship You." But alas, after taking birth I fell into the entangling network of worldly illusions; thus I possessed not even a drop of true knowledge.
adarera chele, swa-janera kole,
hasiya katanu kala
janaka-janani- snehete bhuliya,
samsara lagilo bhalo
4) As a dear son fondled in the laps of relatives, I passed my time smiling and laughing. The affection of my father and mother helped me to forget You still more, and I began to think that the material world was a very nice place.
krame dina dina, balaka hoiya,
ara kichu dine, jnana upajilo,
patha podi ahar-ahah
5) Day by day I gradually grew into a young boy and began playing with other boys. Soon my powers of understanding emerged, so I diligently read and studied my school lessons every day.
vidyara gaurave, bhrami' deshe deshe,
dhana uparjana kori
swa-jana palana, kori eka-mane,
bhulinu tomare, hari!
6) Proud of my accomplished education, later I traveled from place to place and earned much wealth. Thereby maintaining my family with undivided attention, I forgot You, O Lord Hari!
bardhakye ekhona, bhakativinoda,
kandiya katara ati
na bhajiya tore, dina britha gelo,
ekhona ki habe gati?
7) Now in old age, this Bhaktivinoda very sadly weeps. I failed to worship You, O Lord, and instead passed my days in vain. What will be my fate now?
vidyara vilase, katainu kala,
parama sahase ami
tomara carana, na bhajinu kabhu,
ekhona sharana tumi
1) With great enthusiasm I spent my time in the pleasures of mundane learning, and never worshiped Your lotus feet, O Lord. Now You are my only shelter.
podite podite, bharasa barilo,
jnane gati habe mani'
se asha biphala, se jnana durbala,
se jnana ajnana jani
2) Reading on and on, my hopes grew and grew, for I considered the aquisition of material knowledge to be life's true goal. How fruitless those hopes turned out to be, for all my knowledge proved feeble. Now I know that all such erudition is actually pure ignorance.
jada-vidya jata, mayara vaibhava,
tomara bhajane badha
moha janamiya, anitya samsare,
jivake koraye gadha
3) All the so-called knowledge of this world is born of the flickering potency of Your illusory energy (maya). It is an impediment to the execution of devotional service to You. Indulgence in mundane knowledge verily makes an ass of the eternal soul by encouraging his infatuation with this temporary world.*
sei gadha ho'ye, samsarera bojha,
bahinu aneka kala
bardhakye ekhona, shaktira abhave,
kichu nahi lage bhalo
4) Here is one person who has been turned into such an ass, who for so long has carried on his back the useless burden of material existence. Now in my old age, for want of the power to enjoy, I find that nothing at all pleases me.
jivana jatana, hoilo ekhona,
se vidya avidya bhelo
avidyara jwala, ghatilo bishama,
se vidya hoilo shelo
5) Life has now become agony, for my so-called erudite knowledge has proven itself to be worthless ignorance. Material knowledge has now become a pointed shaft and has pierced my heart with the intolerable, burning pain of ignorance.
tomara carana, bina kichu dhana,
samsare na ache ara
bhakativinoda, jada-vidya chadi,'
tuwa pada kore sara
6) O Lord, there is no treasure worth seeking in this world other than Your lotus feet. Bhaktivinoda abandons all his mundane knowledge and makes Your lotus feet the sum and substance of his life.
jauvane jakhona, dhana-uparjane,
hoinu vipula kami
dharama smariya, grihinira kara,
dhorinu takhona ami
1) When I was young, I felt a boundless ambition for earning money. At that time, bearing in mind the codes of religion, I accepted the hand of a wife.*
samsara pata'ye, tahara sahita,
kala-khoy koinu koto
bahu suta-suta, janama lobhilo,
marame hoinu hato
2) Along with her I set up a household and therein wasted so much of my time. Many sons and daughters were born, and my spirit was totally crushed.
samsarera bhara, bade dine dine,
acala hoilo gati
bardhakya asiya, gherilo amare,
asthira hoilo mati
3) The burden of family life increased day by day, and under its weight I felt my personal progress in life forcibly come to a halt. Old age came and beleaguered me on all sides, making my mind incessantly disturbed.
pidaya asthira, cintaya jwarita,
abhave jwalita cita
upaya na dekhi, andhakara-moya,
ekhona ho'yechi bhita
4) Diseases trouble me, constant anxiety has made me feverish, and my heart burns with every want. I see no way out of this predicament, for all is darkness. Now I am very much afraid.
samsara-tatani- srota nahe shesha,
marana nikate ghora
saba samapiya, bhojibo tomaya,
e asha biphala mora
5) The current of this worldly river is strong and relentless; a frightening, gloomy death approaches. 'Finishing my worldly duties, I will worship You, O Lord'-that hope is now fruitless as well.
ebe shuno prabhu! ami gati-hina,
tava kripa bina, sakali nirasha,
deho' more padashroya
6) Now please hear me, O Lord! I am utterly helpless. Bhaktivinoda says, "Without Your mercy, everything is lost. Please give me the shelter of Your lotus feet."
amara jivana, sada pape rata,
nahiko punyera lesha
parere udvega, diyachi je koto,
diyachi jivere klesha
1) My life is ever given to sin; in it there is not a particle of good. I have caused others great anxiety, and have troubled all souls.*
nija sukha lagi', pape nahi dori,
para-sukhe duhkhi, sada mithya-bhashi,
2) For the sake of my own enjoyment I have never hesitated to perform sinful acts. Devoid of all compassion, I am concerned only with my selfish interests. Perpetually speaking lies, I become dejected upon seeing others happy, whereas the misery of others is a source of great delight for me.
ashesha kamana, hridi majhe mora,
mada-matta sada, vishaye mohita,
3) There are limitless material desires within the core of my heart. I am wrathful, fond of exhibiting arrogance, intoxicated by vanity, and bewildered by worldly affairs. I wear the cherished ornaments of envy and egotism.
nidralasya hata, sukarye virata,
akarye udyogi ami
pratishtha lagiya, shathya-acarana,
lobha-hata sada kami
4) Ruined by laziness and sleep, I resist all pious deeds, yet am very enthusiastic to perform wicked acts. For the sake of worldly fame and reputation I engage in the practice of deceitfulness. I am victimized by my own greed, being always lustful.
e heno durjana, saj-jana-varjita,
nana duhkhe jara jara
5) A vile, wicked man such as this, rejected by godly people, is a constant offender. Devoid of all good works, forever inclined toward evil, he is worn out and wasted by various miseries.
bardhakye ekhona, upaya-vihina,
ta'te dina akincana
bhakativinoda, prabhura carane,
kore duhkha nivedana
6) Now in old age, deprived of all means of relief, thus humbled and poor, Bhaktivinoda submits his tale of grief at the feet of the Supreme Lord.
(prabhu he!) shuno mor duhkher kahini
vishaya-halahala, sudha-bhane piyalun,
ab avasana dinamani
1) O Lord! Please hear the story of my sadness. I drank the deadly poison of worldliness, pretending it was nectar, and now the sun is setting on the horizon of my life.
khela-rase shaishava, podhaite kaishora,
gowaolun, na bhelo vivek
bhoga-bashe yauvane, ghara pati' bosilun,
suta-mita badhalo anek
2) I spent my childhood in play, my youth in academic pursuit, and in me there arose no sense of discrimination. In young manhood I set up a household and settled down to the spell of material enjoyment while my children and friends quickly multiplied.
vriddha-kala aolo, saba sukha bhagalo,
pida-bashe hoinu katar
sarvendriya durbala, kshina kalevara,
bhogabhave duhkhita antar
3) Old age soon arrived, and all joys consequently departed. Subjected to the torments of disease, I am troubled and weak. All my senses are feeble now, my body is racked and exhausted, and my spirits are downcast in the absence of former sense pleasures.
jnana-lava-hina, bhakti-rase vanchita,
ara mora ki habe upay
patita-bandhu, tuhun, patitadhama hama,
kripaya uthao tava pay
4) Devoid of even a particle of enlightenment, cheated of the mellows of devotion-what help is there for me now? O Lord, You are the friend of the fallen. I am certainly fallen, the lowest of men. Please, therefore, in mercy lift me to Your lotus feet.
vicarite abahi, guna nahi paobi,
kripa koro, chodato vicar
tava pada-pankaja- sidhu pibaoto,
bhakativinoda karo par
5) Were You to judge me now, You would find no good qualities. Have mercy and judge me not. Cause me to drink the honey of Your lotus feet and thereby deliver this Bhaktivinoda.
(prabhu he!) tuwa pade e minati mor
tuwa pada-pallava, tyajato maru-mana,
vishama vishaye bhelo bhor
1) O Lord! I offer this humble prayer at Your feet. I gave up the shelter of Your feet, which are soft as newly-grown leaves, and now my mind has become dried up like a desert, being scorched by the fire of absorption in horrible worldliness.
uthayite takata, puna nahi milo-i,
anudina korohun hutash
dina-jana-natha, tuhun kahayasi,
tumari carana mama ash
2) I find no strength to rise again, and thus I spend my days bitterly lamenting. O Lord who is called the master of the meek and humble! Your lotus feet are my only hope.
aichana dina-jana, kohi nahi milo-i,
tuhun more koro parasad
tuwa jana-sange, tuwa katha-range,
chadahun sakala paramad
3) There has never been a soul as forlorn as me. Please be merciful and award me the association of Your devotees, for by tasting the pleasure of hearing discussions of Your pastimes I shall give up all evils.
tuwa dhama-mahe, tuwa nama gaoto,
gowayabun diva-nishi ash
tuwa pada-chaya, parama sushitala,
mage bhakativinoda das
4) One hope animates my soul: To spend day and night singing Your holy name while living in Your divine abode. Your servant Bhaktivinoda begs a place in the supremely cooling shade of Your lotus feet.
emona durmati, samsara bhitore,
podiya achinu ami
tava nija-jana, kono mahajane,
pathaiya dile tumi
1) O Lord! With such a wicked mind as this I have fallen into the material world, but You have sent one of Your pure and elevated devotees to rescue me.
doya kori' more, patita dekhiya,
kohilo amare giya
ohe dina-jana, shuno bhalo katha,
ullasita ha'be hiya
2) He saw me so fallen and wretched, took pity, and came to me saying, "O humbled soul, please listen to this good tiding, for it will gladden your heart.
tomare tarite, shri-krishna-chaitanya,
toma heno koto, dina hina jane,
3) "Shri Krishna Chaitanya has appeared in the land of Navadvipa in order to deliver you. He has safely conducted many miserable souls such as you across the sea of worldly existence.
vedera pratijna, rakhibara tare,
mahaprabhu name, nadiya mataya,
sange bhai avadhuta
4) "To fulfill the promise of the Vedas, the son of a brahmana, of golden complexion and bearing the name of Mahaprabhu, has descended along with His brother, the avadhuta. Together They have overwhelmed all of Nadiya with divine ecstasy.*
nanda-suta jini, chaitanya gosai,
nija-nama kori' dan
tarilo jagat, tumi-o jaiya,
5) "Shri Chaitanya Gosai, who is Krishna Himself, the son of Nanda, has saved the world by freely distributing the gift of His own holy name. Go to Him also and receive your deliverance."
se katha shuniya, asiyachi, natha!
bhakativinoda, kandiya kandiya,
6) Hearing those words, O Lord, Bhaktivinoda has come weeping and weeping to the soles of Your lotus feet and tells the story of his life.
na korolun karama, geyana nahi bhelo,
na sevilun carana tohar
jada-sukhe matiya, apanaku vanca-i,
pekhahun caudisha andhiyar
1) I have not performed any good works. I have not amassed any transcendental knowledge. I have never worshiped Your feet. Being intoxicated by sensual pleasures, I have simply cheated myself. Now I see only darkness in all directions.*
tuhun natha! karuna-nidan
tuwa pada-pankaje, atma samarpilun,
more kripa korobi vidhan
2) You, O Lord, are the fountainhead of all mercy. I surrender myself at Your lotus feet; kindly show me Your compassion.
pratijna tohara oi, jo hi sharanagata,
nahi so janabo paramad
so hama dushkriti, gati na hera-i ana,
ab magon tuwa parasad
3) It is Your promise that one who takes refuge in You will come to no harm. For a sinner like me I see no other shelter; therefore I beg You now for Your grace.
ana mano-ratha, nihshesha chodato,
kab hama haubun tohara
nitya-sevya tuhun, nitya-sevaka mui,
bhakativinoda bhava sara
4) O when will I know freedom from incessant material desires and thus become exclusively Yours? This is the sum of Bhaktivinoda's musings-You are eternally to be served, and I am Your eternal servant.
(praneshwar!) kohobun ki sarama ki
aichana pap nahi, jo hama na koralun,
sahasra sahasra beri nath
1) O Lord of my life! How shall I tell You of my shameful story? There is no sin which I have not committed thousands of times and more, O Lord.*
sohi karama-phala, bhave moke pesha-i,
dokha deobo ab kahi
takhonaka parinam, kachu na bicaralun,
ab pachu taraite cahi
2) My life in this world has only been one of affliction and torment as a result of those sins. Who is there to blame for this misery? At the time I did not consider the consequences; but now, in the aftermath, I seek to be saved.
dokha vicara-i, tunhu danda deobi,
hama bhoga korabun samsar
karato gatagati, bhakata-jana-sange,
mati rohu carane tohar
3) After judging my sins, You will surely punish me befittingly, and I shall suffer the pangs of rebirth in this world. I only pray that, as I come and go through repeated births and deaths, my mind may ever dwell at Your lotus feet as I keep the company of Your devotees.
apana caturpana, tuwa pade sonpalun,
hridoya-garava dure gelo
dina-doya-moya, tuwa kripa niramala,
bhakativinoda asha bhelo
4) I offer this judicious prayer at Your feet: The pride of my heart has gone far away. O You who are so kind to the meek, Your spotlessly pure mercy has become Bhaktivinoda's only hope.
manasa, deho, geho, jo kichu mor
arpilun tuwa pade, nanda-kishor!
1) Mind, body, family, and whatever else may be mine, I have surrendered at Your lotus feet, O youthful son of Nanda!
sampade vipade, jivane-marane
day mama gela, tuwa o-pada varane
2) In good fortune or in bad, in life or in death, all my difficulties have disappeared by accepting those feet of Yours as my only shelter.
marobi rakhobi jo iccha tohara
nitya-dasa prati tuwa adhikara
3) Slay me or protect me as You wish, for You have full authority over Your eternal servant.
janmaobi moe iccha jadi tor
bhakta-grihe jani janma hau mor
4) If it is Your wish that I be born again, then may I take birth in the home of Your devotee.
kita-janma hau jatha tuwa das
bahir-mukha brahma-janme nahi ash
5) May I be born again even as a worm, as long as I remain Your devotee. I have no desire to be born as a Brahma averse to You.*
bhukti-mukti-spriha vihina je bhakta
labhaite tanko sanga anurakta
6) I yearn for the company of that devotee who is completely devoid of all desire for worldly enjoyment or liberation.
janaka, janani, dayita, tanay
prabhu, guru, pati-tuhu sarva-moy
7) Father, mother, lover, son, Lord, preceptor, and husband-You are everything to me.
bhakativinoda kohe, shuno kana!
radha-natha! tuhun hamara parana
8) Bhaktivinoda says, "O Kana, please hear me! O Lord of Radha, You are my life and soul!"
'aham mama'-shabda-arthe jaha kichu
arpilun tomara pade, ohe doya-moy!
1) All there is that may be indicated by the words aham ("I") and mama ("mine"), I offer at Your lotus feet, O merciful Lord!
'amara' ami to' natha! na rohinu ar
ekhona hoinu ami kevala tomar
2) I no longer consider even myself to be "mine", O Lord! Now I have become exclusively Yours.
'ami' shabde dehi jiva ahamta chadilo
twadiyabhimana aji hridoye pashilo
3) The soul inhabiting this mortal body has given up the false ego attached to the word "I", for today the spiritual sense of being Yours has entered his heart.
amar sarvasva-deho, geho anucar
bhai, bandhu, dara, suta, dravya, dwara, ghar
4) All my possessions-body, home, servants, brothers, friends, wife, sons, personal belongings, fencing and gateways...
se saba hoilo tava, ami hoinu das
tomara grihete ebe ami kori bas
5) ...all of these things are now Yours, for I have become Your servant. I am but a mere occupant in Your house.
tumi griha-swami, ami sevaka tomar
tomara sukhete ceshta ekhona amar
6) You are the owner of the house, and I am Your most obedient servant. My only activity now is endeavoring for Your happiness.
sthula-linga-dehe mora sukrita
ara mora nahe, prabhu! ami to' nishkrita
7) Whatever pious or impious activities that were performed by me, either with my gross or subtle bodies, are no longer mine, O Lord, for I am redeemed!
tomara icchaya mora iccha mishailo
bhakativinoda aja apane bhulilo
8) My will has become merged with Your will. From this day forward Bhaktivinoda has completely for-gotten himself.
'amara' bolite prabhu! are kichu nai
tumi-i amara matra pita-bandhu-bhai
1) O Lord, nothing further remains that may be called "mine." Father, friend, brother-You alone are all these to me.
bandhu, dara, suta, suta-tava dasi
sei to' sambandhe sabe amara prayas
2) My friends, wife, sons and daughters are now Your servants and maidservants. Whatever care I take for them is only as they are related to You.
dhana, jana, griha, dara 'tomara'
rakha kori ami matro sevaka hoiya
3) Declaring that my wealth, family members, home, and wife are truly Yours, I continue as a mere servant to dutifully protect them.
tomara karyera tore uparjibo dhan
tomara samsare-vyaya koribo vahan
4) For the purpose of Your service I will earn money and bear the expense of maintaining Your household.
bhalo-manda nahi jani seva matro kori
tomara samsare ami vishaya-prahari
5) I know nothing of what is good or bad; I simply render my service. I am but a watchman set to guard the properties of Your household.
tomara icchaya mora indriya-calana
shravana, darshana, ghrana, bhojana-vasana
6) I exercise my senses only according to Your direction, and thus I desire to hear, see, smell, and taste.
nija-sukha lagi' kichu nahi kori ar
bhakativinoda bole, tava sukha-sar
7) I no longer do anything for my own pleasure. Bhaktivinoda says, "Your pleasure is the essence of everything."
bastutah sakali tava, jiva keho noy
'aham'-'mama'-bhrame bhromi' bhoge shoka-bhoy
1) In truth, all things belong to You; no jiva is ever the owner of anything. The tiny soul wanders in this world mistakenly thinking in terms of aham ("I am this material body and mind"), and mama ("everything related to this body is mine"). Thus he suffers the consequences of both sorrow and fear.
aham-mama-abhimana ei-matro dhan
baddha-jiva nija boli' jane mane man
2) The conditioned soul thinks that all the things related to the false conceptions of "I" and "mine" are his exclusive treasures. Calling them his own, his mind is firmly convinced of this gross delusion.
sei abhimane ami samsare podiya
habudubu khai bhava-sindhu santariya
3) Due to such vanity, I also fell into this material world. Floundering in the ocean of mundane existence like a drowning man, I suffer the pangs of rising and sinking in that ocean.
tomara abhoya-pade loiya sharan
aji ami korilama atma-nivedan
4) I take shelter at Your lotus feet, which deliver one from fear, and dedicate the whole of myself to You on this day.
'aham'-'mama'-abhimana chadilo amay
ar jeno mama hride stana nahi pay
5) The false conception of thinking in terms of "I" and "mine" has left me now. May it never again find a place to settle within my heart.
ei matro bala prabhu! dibe he amare
ahamta-mamata dure pari rakhibare
6) Please give me this strength alone, O Lord, that I may be able to keep the false conceptions of "I" and "mine" far away.
atma-nivedana-bhava hride dridha roy
hasti-snana sama jeno khanika na hoy
7) May the mood of self-surrender to You remain firmly fixed in my heart and not prove to be momentary like the cleanliness of an elephant after a bath.
bhakativinoda prabhu nityananda pay
mage parasada, jahe abhimana jay
8) Bhaktivinoda begs at the lotus feet of Lord Nityananda for that grace which causes all illusory concepts of false pride to flee.
nivedana kori prabhu! tomara carane
patita adhama ami, jane tri-bhuvane
1) I submit at Your lotus feet, O Lord, that I am fallen and most wretched. This fact is known to the three worlds.
ama-sama papi nahi jagat-bhitore
mama sama aparadhi nahiko samsare
2) There is no sinner in the world more sinful than me. In the entire universe there is no offender whose offenses equal mine.
sei saba papa ara aparadha, ami
parihare pai lajja, saba jano' tumi
3) By attempting to clear myself of all these sins and offenses I am put to shame. All this is surely understood by You.
tumi bina ka'ra ami loibo sharan?
tumi sarveshvareshvara, brajendra-nandan!
4) Of whom will I take shelter except for You? You are the Lord of all lords, O son of the King of Vraja!
jagat tomara natha! tumi sarva-moy
toma prati aparadha tumi koro' kshoy
5) This world is Yours, O Lord, and You pervade all things in it. You dispel the sinful result of offenses committed against You.
tumi to' skhalita-pada janera ashroy
tumi bina ara kiba ache, doya-moy!
6) You alone are the shelter of those whose feet stumble off the proper path. Apart from You, what else exists, O merciful Lord?
sei-rupa tava aparadhi jana jata
tomara sharanagata hoibe satata
7) All persons like me who have offended You will ultimately seek to achieve Your shelter.
bhakativinoda ebe loiya sharan
tuwa pade kore aj atma-samarpan
8) Bhaktivinoda now takes full shelter of You and surrenders himself at Your lotus feet on this very day.
atma-nivedana, tuwa pade kori',
hoinu parama sukhi
duhkha dure gelo, cinta na rohilo,
caudike ananda dekhi
1) I have become supremely happy by surrendering myself at Your lotus feet. Sorrow has gone far away, and there are no more cares. All I see is joy in the four directions.
tahate ekhona, vishrama labhiya
chadinu bhavera bhoya
2) Your two lotus feet are reservoirs of immortal nectar that grant freedom from both sorrow and fear. Resting in them I have found peace, and have completely given up the fear of worldly existence.
tomara samsare, koribo sevana,
nahibo phalera bhagi
tava sukha jahe, koribo jatana,
ho'ye pade anuragi
3) I shall render service in Your household and never endeavor to enjoy the fruits of that service. Rather, I shall strive for whatever pleases You, being fully enamored by Your lotus feet.
tomara sevaya, duhkha hoya jato,
se-o to' parama sukha
seva-sukha-duhkha, parama sampada,
4) All the troubles encountered in Your service shall be the cause of great happiness, for in Your devotional service joy and sorrow are equally great riches. Both destroy the misery of ignorance.
purva itihasa, bhulinu sakala,
seva-sukha pe'ye mane
ami to' tomara, tumi to' amara,
ki kaja apara dhane
5) I have completely forgotten all of my past history by feeling in my mind the great joy of Your service. I am indeed Yours, and You are truly mine. What need is there of any other treasure?
bhakativinoda, anande dubiya,
tomara sevara tare
saba ceshta kore, tava iccha-mato,
thakiya tomara ghare
6) Bhaktivinoda sinks deeply into the ocean of pure bliss by engaging in Your service. He devotes all his efforts according to Your wishes while living in Your house.
ki jani ki bale, tomara dhamete,
tumi doya-moy, patita-pavana,
1) By what personal understanding or by what power has one such as I come into Your shelter? Surely it is by Your mercy alone, for as Doya-moy and Patita-pavana You are ever engaged in the deliverance of the fallen souls.
bharasa amara, ei matra natha!
tumi to' karuna-moy
tava doya-patra, nahi mora sama,
avashya ghucabe bhoy
2) My only hope, O Lord, is that You are full of compassion and mercy. There is no one more in need of Your mercy than I. You will surely drive away all my fears.
amare tarite, kaharo shakati,
doyala thakura! ghoshana tomara,
adhama pamare trahi
3) No one else in the world has the power to rescue me. O merciful Lord! By Your decree, kindly deliver this vile and lowly sinner!
sakala chadiya, asiyachi ami,
tomara carane natha!
ami nitya-dasa, tumi palayita,
tumi gopta, jagannatha!
4) I have given up everything and come to Your lotus feet, O Lord. I am Your eternal servant, and You are the maintainer. You are my sole protector, O Lord of the universe!
tomara sakala, ami matra dasa,
amara taribe tumi
tomara carana, korinu varana,
amara nahi to' ami
5) Everything is Yours. I am merely Your menial servant, so it is certain that You will deliver me. I have chosen Your lotus feet as my only shelter. I no longer belong to myself.
bhakativinoda, kandiya sharana,
lo'yeche tomara pay
kshami' aparadha, name ruci diya,
palana korohe tay
6) Bhaktivinoda weeps as he humbly takes takes shelter at Your feet. Forgiving all his offenses, affording him a taste for the holy name, oh kindly maintain him!
sarvada vyakula ami chinu mane mane
1) Within my mind I have always been anxious for the maintenance of my wife and children, my own body and relatives.
kemone arjibo artha, yasha kise pabo
kanya-putra-vivaha kemone sampadibo
2) How will I earn money? How will I acquire fame? How will I arrange the marriages of my sons and daughters?
ebe atma-samarpane cinta nahi ar
tumi nirvahibe prabhu, samsara tomar
3) Now, through self-surrender, I have been relieved of all anxiety. O Lord, surely You will provide for the maintenance of Your own household.
tumi to' palibe more nija-dasa jani'
tomara sevaya prabhu bodo sukha mani
4) Recognizing me as Your own servant, You will certainly maintain me. While rendering devotional service unto You I feel the greatest happiness.
tomara icchaya prabhu sab karya hoy
jiva bole,-'kori ami', se to' satya noy
5) All events take place only by Your will, O Lord. The deluded soul of this world declares "I am the doer!" but this is pure folly.
jiva ki korite pare, tumi na korile?
asha-matra jiva kore, tava iccha-phale
6) What is a tiny soul actually able to do unless You act? The jiva can only desire to act, and unless You fulfill his desire by Your own sweet will, he cannot do anything.
nishcinta hoiya ami sevibo tomay
grihe bhalo-manda ho'le nahi mora day
7) Being free from all anxiety, I will humbly render service unto You. If any good or evil should occur while serving in Your home, it will not be my responsibility.
bhakativinoda nija-swatantrya tyajiya
tomara carana seve' akincana hoiya
8) Bhaktivinoda thus completely renounces his own independence and engages in the exclusive service of Your lotus feet with no other interest in life.
sarvasva tomar, carane sampiya,
podechi tomara ghare
tumi to' thakur, tomara kukur,
boliya janaho more
1) Now that I have surrendered all that I possess unto Your lotus feet, I throw myself down before Your house. You are the master of the house; kindly consider me Your own dog.
bandhiya nikate, amare palibe,
rohibo tomara dware
pratipa-janere, asite na dibo,
rakhibo gadera pare
2) Chaining me nearby, You will maintain me, and I shall lie at Your doorstep. I will not allow Your enemies to enter, but will keep them outside the bounds of the surrounding moat.
tava nija-jana, prasad seviya,
ucchishta rakhibe jaha
amara bhojan, parama-anande,
prati-din ha'be taha
3) Whatever food remnants Your devotees leave behind after honoring Your prasad will be my daily sustenance. I will feast on those remnants in great bliss.
bosiya shuiya, tomara carana,
cintibo satata ami
nacite nacite, nikate jaibo,
jakhona dakibe tumi
4) While sitting up or lying down, I will constantly meditate on Your lotus feet. Whenever You call, I will immediately run to You and dance in rapture.
nijera poshana, kabhu na bhavibo,
rohibo bhavera bhore
bhakativinoda, tomare palaka,
boliya varana kore
5) I will never think for my own nourishment, and will remain absorbed in ever cherishing love for my Master. Bhaktivinoda now accepts You as his only maintainer.
tomara icchaya vishve shrijana samhara
1) O youthful son of the King of Vraja, You are Lord of all lords. According to Your will, creation and destruction take place in the universe.
tava iccha-mato brahma korena
tava iccha-mato vishnu korena palana
2) According to Your will Lord Brahma creates, and according to Your will Lord Vishnu maintains.
tava iccha-mate shiva korena samhara
tava iccha-mate maya shrije karagara
3) According to Your will Lord Shiva destroys, and according to Your will Maya constructs the prison house of this world.
tava iccha-mate jiver janama-marana
samriddhi-nipate duhkha sukha-samghatana
4) According to Your will the living beings take birth and die, and according to Your will they meet with prosperity and ruin, happiness and sorrow.
miche maya-baddha jiva asha-pashe
tava iccha bina kichu korite na pare
5) The tiny soul bound up by Maya vainly struggles in the fetters of worldly desire. Without Your sanction he is unable to do anything.
tumi to' rakhaka ar palaka amara
tomara carana bina asha nahi ara
6) You are my only protector and maintainer. Except for Your lotus feet there is no other hope for me.
tomara icchaya achi nirbhara koriya
7) No longer confident of my own strength and endeavor, I have become solely dependent on Your will.
bhakativinoda ati dina akincana
tomara icchaya ta'r jivana marana
8) Bhaktivinoda is most poor, and his pride has been leveled. Now in accordance with Your will he lives and dies.
ekhona bujhinu prabhu! tomara carana
1) Now I have understood, O Lord, that Your feet are eternally full of sweet nectar that dispels all sorrow and fear.*
sakala chadiya tuwa carana-kamale
podiyachi ami natha! tava pada-tale
2) Surrendering myself and all I possess unto those lotus feet, I have laid myself down submissively under their shelter.
tava pada-padma nath! rokhibe amare
ar rakha-karta nahi e bhava-samsare
3) Your lotus feet, O Lord, will certainly shelter me. There are no other protectors in this world of birth and death.
ami tava nitya-dasa-janinu e-bara
amara palana-bhara ekhona tomara
4) At last I know myself to be Your eternal servant. Now the burden of my maintenance is exclusively Yours.
bado duhkha paiyachi swatantra jivane
duhkha dure gelo o pada-varane
5) In my life of independence from You, I have experienced nothing but misery. But now, upon accepting those feet of Yours, all my miseries have been cast far away.
je-pada lagiya rama tapasya korila
je-pada paiya shiva shivatwa lobhila
6) Desiring a place at Your lotus feet the goddess of fortune performed difficult austerities. Only after receiving Your feet did Lord Shiva attain his shivatva, or quality of auspiciousness.
je-pada labhiya brahma kritartha
je-pada narada muni hridoye dhorila
7) Upon obtaining Your feet Lord Brahma had his desires fulfilled. Your feet are always held by the great sage Narada Muni within his heart.
sei se abhoya pada shirete dhoriya
parama-anande naci pada-guna gaiya
8) I now hold on my head those very same lotus feet, which drive away all fear, while I dance in great ecstasy, singing their glories.
samsara-vipada ho'te avashya uddhar
bhakativinoda, o-pada koribe tomar
9) Your lotus feet will surely deliver Bhaktivinoda from the dangerous perils of this worldly journey.
tumi to' maribe jare, ke tare rakhite pare,
brahma-adi deva-gana, tava dasa aganana,
kore tava ajnara palan
1) If You wish to slay someone, then who could possibly protect them? The three worlds are subservient to Your will. The demigods headed by Lord Brahma are Your countless servants who stand ready to execute Your command.
tava iccha-mate jata, graha-gana avirata,
shubhashubha phala kore dan
roga-shoka-mriti-bhoy, tava iccha-mate hoy,
tava ajna sada balavan
2) By Your will the planets incessantly exercise their auspicious or inauspicious influences. Illness, grief, death, and fear occur by Your will. Your command is all-powerful.
tava bhoye vayu boy, candra surya samudoy,
swa-swa niyamita karya kore
tumi to' parameshwar, para-brahma paratpar,
tava basa bhakata-antare
3) In fear of You the wind blows, the sun and moon rise and set, all performing their regulated tasks. You are the Supreme Lord, the ultimate spirit, transcendentally situated beyond even the beyond. Your residence is in the heart of Your loving devotee.
sada-shuddha siddha-kama, 'bhakata-vatsala' nama,
tumi to' rakhibe jare, ke tare marite pare,
sakala vidhira vidhi tumi
4) You are eternally pure. All Your desires are already fulfilled. Your name is Bhakta-vatsala, for You are the eternally affectionate Lord of Your dear devotees. If You wish to protect someone, then who could possibly slay them? You are the law of all laws.
tomara carane natha! koriyache pranipata,
bhakativinoda tava das
vipada hoite swami! avashya tahare tumi,
rakshibe,-tahara e vishvas
5) Your servant Bhaktivinoda has bowed down submissively at Your lotus feet, O Lord! He cherishes the faith, O master, that You will surely protect him from all dangers.
atma-samarpane gela abhiman
nahi korobun nija rakha-vidhan
1) Surrendering my soul unto You has lifted from me the burden of false pride. No longer will I try to provide for my own safety.
tuwa dhana jani' tuhun rakhobi, nath!
palya godhana jnana kori' tuwa sath
2) I know that You will give protection to Your treasured possessions, O Lord. I now understand the mentality of Your treasured cows safely maintained by Your side.
caraobi madhava! jamuna-tire
bamshi bajaoto dakobi dhire
3) When You lead Your herds to pasture, O Madhava, on the banks of the Yamuna river, You will call to them by softly playing on Your flute.
agha-baka marato rakha-vidhan
korobi sada tuhun gokula-kan!
4) By slaying great demons such as Aghasura and Bakasura You will always provide full protection, O Kan of the cowherd settlement!
rakha korobi tuhun nishcoy jani
pana korobun hama jamuna-pani
5) Fearless and confident of Your protection, I will drink the water of the Yamuna.
kaliya-dokha korobi vinasha
shodhobi nadi-jala, badaobi asha
6) The Kaliya serpent's venom poisoned the Yamuna's waters, yet that poison will be vanquished. You will purify the Yamuna, and by such heroic deeds enhance our faith.
piyato davanala rakhobi mo'y
'gopala', 'govinda' nama tava hoy
7) You will surely protect me by swallowing the forest fire. Thus You are called Gopala (protector of the cows) and Govinda (pleaser of the cows).
rakhobi varshane, giri-vara-dhari!
8) In order to curb the malice of Indra, king of the demigods, You will protect me from his torrents of rain, O lifter of the mighty Govardhana Hill!
catur-anana korabo jab cori
rakha korobi mujhe, gokula-hari!
9) When the four-headed Brahma abducts me along with Your cowherd boyfriends and calves, then also You will surely protect me, O Gokula Hari!
rakhobi keshava! korato jatan
10) Bhaktivinoda is now the property of Gokula, Your holy abode. O Keshava! Kindly protect him with gentle loving care.
kinkori hoilun aji, kan!
1) I give up the vanity of the error that I am a male. Today I have become Your faithful maidservant, O Kana!
sevana korobun, radha-nath!
2) In the groves of Vraja I will render personal service as a follower of one of the confidential sakhis, O Lord of Radha!
kusume ganthobun har
3) I will string together a garland of forest flowers, in which tulasi buds shall be the jewelled pendants.
jatane deobun sakhi-kare
hate laobo sakhi adare
4) With utmost care I will place the garland in the hands of my superior sakhi, and she will take it out of my hands with loving regard.
sakhi dibo tuwa duhuk gale
durato herobun kutuhale
5) Then she will place the garland around both of Your necks, while from afar I watch in wonder.
sakhi kahabo,-"shuno sundari!
rahobi kunje mama kinkori
6) The confidante will then say to me, "Listen, O beautiful one, you shall remain in this grove as my attendant.
ganthobi mala mano-harini
7) "Daily you will string together beautiful flower garlands that will enchant Radha and Krishna.
tuwa rakhana-bhara hamara
mama kunja-kutira tohara
8) "The responsibility for your maintenance is mine. My cottage in this grove is yours.
rahobi hamara antarale
9) "When the time comes for me to go and serve Radha and Madhava, you will stay close to me while remaining hidden.
tambula saji' karpura ani'
deobi moe apana jani' "
10) "After dressing packets of betel nuts and fetching the camphor, you will hand them to me, knowing me to be your very own."
bhakativinoda shuni' bat
sakhi-pade kare pranipat
11) Bhaktivinoda, having heard all these instructions, bows down at the lotus feet of that confidential sakhi.
keshava! tuwa jagata vicitra
karama-vipake, bhava-vana bhrama-i,
pekhalun ranga bahu citra
1) O Keshava! This material creation of Yours is most strange. I have roamed throughout the forest of this universe in consequence of my selfish acts, and I have beheld many curious sights.
tuwa pada-vismriti, a-mara jantrana,
klesha-dahane dohi' jai
kapila, patanjali, gautama, kanabhoji,
jaimini, bauddha aowe dhai'
2) Forgetfulness of Your lotus feet, which is bitter suffering unto death, burns me with its scorching pain. In this helpless condition my would-be saviors-the sage-philosophers Kapila, Gautama, Kanada, Jaimini, and Buddha-have come running to my aid.*
tab koi nija-mate, bhukti, mukti yacato,
pata-i nana-vidha phand
so-sabu-vancaka, tuwa bhakti bahir-mukha,
ghataowe vishama paramad
3) Each expounds his particular view, dangling various pleasures and liberation as bait in their philosophical traps. But all of them are just bogus cheaters, being averse to Your devotional service, and are therefore a source of fatal danger.
vaimukha-vancane, bhata so-sabu,
niramilo vividha pasar
dandavat durato, bhakativinoda bhelo,
bhakata-carana kori' sar
4) Every one of them are cunning experts of karma, jnana, yoga and tapa who provide various kinds of tempting bait for cheating the souls who are averse to You. Having paid his respects to these cheating philosophers from afar, Bhaktivinoda takes refuge at the feet of Your devotees as the essence of his life.
tuwa-bhakti-pratikula dharma ja'te
parama jatane taha tyajibo nishcoy
1) I will assuredly abandon with utmost endeavor all things in which aversion to Your devotional service is inherent.
tuwa-bhakti-bahir-mukha sanga na
gauranga-virodhi-jana-mukha na heribo
2) I will not keep company with those opposed to Your devotional service, nor even look at the faces of those inimical toward Lord Gauranga.
bhakti-pratikula sthane na kori
bhaktira apriya karye nahi kori rati
3) I will never reside at a place unfavorable for devotional practices, and I will never take pleasure in non-devotional activities.
bhaktira virodhi grantha patha na
bhaktira virodhi vyakhya kabhu na shunibo
4) I will read no book opposed to pure devotion, nor listen to any scriptural explanation which counters pure devotional principles.
gauranga-varjita sthana tirtha nahi
bhaktira badhaka jnana-karma tuccha jani
5) I will never regard as sacred any place where Lord Gauranga is rejected. All knowledge or action hindering pure devotional service I consider worthless.
bhaktira badhaka kale na kori adar
bhakti bahir-mukha nija-jane jani par
6) Any seasonal observance which poses obstacles to the execution of devotional service finds no favor with me, and I consider as strangers all my own relatives or family members who are averse to devotional service.
bhaktira badhika spriha koribo varjan
abhakta-pradatta anna na kori grahan
7) I will totally abandon all desires that hinder devotion, and I will never touch foodstuffs offered to me by non-devotees.
jaha kichu bhakti-pratikula boli'
tyajibo jatane taha, e nishcoya vani
8) I vow to carefully avoid whatever I know to be contrary to devotional service. This is a most definite proclamation.
bhakativinoda podi' prabhura carane
magaye shakati pratikulyera varjane
9) Bhaktivinoda falls down at the feet of the Lord and begs for the strength to give up all things that are unfavorable to pure devotion.
vishaya-vimudha ar mayavadi jan
bhakti-shunya dunhe prana dhare akaran
1) One who is intoxicated by worldly affairs of sense gratification, as well as one who subscribes to impersonal philosophy, both maintain their lives uselessly, for they are devoid of devotion to You.
ei dui-sanga natha! na hoy amar
prarthana koriye ami carane tomar
2) I pray at Your lotus feet, O Lord, that I may be spared the company of these two kinds of people.
se duwera madhye vishayi tabu bhalo
mayavadi-sanga nahi magi kono kalo
3) Yet of the two, the association of a worldly man is better. I never covet the company of a mayavadi.
vishayi-hridoya jabe sadhu-sanga pay
anayase labhe bhakti bhaktera kripay
4) When by chance the hearts of worldly persons come into contact with Your saintly devotees, they easily attain devotion by the mercy of the devotees.
mayavada-dosha ja'ra hridoye pashilo
kutarke hridoya ta'ra vajra-sama bhelo
5) But the heart which is penetrated by the offensive influence of impersonal philosophy becomes hard as a thunderbolt by degraded sophistry.
bhaktira swarupa, ara 'vishaya',
mayavadi 'anitya' boliya saba koy
6) The mayavadi declares that the true form of bhakti, its object (Shri Krishna), and its possessor (the devotee) are all transitory and thus illusory.
krishna-ange vajra hane tahara stavan
7) Fie on his pretense of so-called service to Krishna! Fie on his pretense of engaging in so-called hearing and chanting of Krishna's glories! His recitation of prayers strikes the body of Krishna with blows more cruel than thunderbolts.
mayavada sama bhakti-pratikula nai
ataeva mayavadi-sanga nahi cai
8) There is no philosophy in the world as antagonistic to devotional service as the impersonal mayavada philosophy. Therefore I do not ever desire the association of the mayavadi.
bhakativinoda mayavada dura kori
vaishnava-sangete baise namashraya dhori'
9) Bhaktivinoda drives away the philosophy of impersonalism and sits safely in the society of Vaishnavas under the shelter of Your holy name.
ami to' swananda-sukhada-basi
1) Oh I am a resident of Svananda-sukhada-kunja, and a maidservant of the lotus feet of Radhika and Madhava.
dunhara milane ananda kori
dunhara viyoge duhkhete mari
2) I happily rejoice at the union of the Divine Couple, and in Their separation I die in utter anguish.
sakhi-sthali nahi heri nayane
dekhile shaibyake paraye mane
3) I never look at the area in Vraja called Sakhi-sthali where Candravali and her friends live. If I were to see that place it reminds me of Candravali's sharp-tongued gopi friend named Shaibya.
je-je pratikula candrara sakhi
prane duhkha pai tahare dekhi'
4) I feel pain in my heart whenever I happen to catch sight of Candravali's proud girlfriends, for they are all inimical to Radha's camp.
radhika-kunja andhara kori'
loite cahe se radhara hari
5) Candravali wants to take away Radha's Lord Hari, thus causing the love-grove of Radhika to be overcast with the darkness of gloom.
pratikula-jana na heri mukha
6) I never look at the faces of those who wish to obstruct the joy of the union of Shri Radha and Govinda.
radha-pratikula jateka jana-
sambhashane kabhu na hoy mana
7) Nor do I find any pleasure in conversing with those who are members of a camp opposed to Radha.
sanpeche parana ativa jatane
8) Bhaktivinoda has entrusted his soul with great care unto the lotus feet of Shrimati Radharani.Sixth Principle of Surrender: Bhakti-Anukula-Matra Karyera
tuwa-bhakti-anukula je-je karya hoy
parama-jatane taha koribo nishcoy
1) I will surely execute with utmost care those activities favorable to Your pure devotional service.
bhakti-anukula jata vishaya samsare
koribo tahate rati indriyera dware
2) I will feel fondness for those things in this world which are conducive to pure devotion, and with my senses I will engage them in Your service.
shunibo tomara katha jatana koriya
dekhibo tomara dhama nayana bhoriya
3) I will carefully listen to all discussions concerning You, and the satisfaction of my eyes will be to behold Your divine abode.
tomara prasade deho koribo poshan
naivedya-tulasi-ghrana koribo grahan
4) I will nourish my body with the sacred remnants of Your food, and I will smell the sweet scent of tulasi leaves adorning those offerings.
kara-dware koribo tomara seva sada
tomara vasati-sthale basibo sarvada
5) With my hands I will always execute Your service, and I will forever dwell at that place where You abide.
tomara sevaya kama niyoga koribo
tomara vidveshi-jane krodha dekhaibo
6) I will employ my desires in Your devotional service, and will show my anger to those who are envious of You.
ei-rupe sarva-vritti ara sarva-bhava
tuwa anukula hoye labhuka prabhava
7) In this way, may all of my propensities and emotions earn spiritual potency by being favorably dovetailed in Your interest.
tuwa bhakta-anukula jaha jaha kori
tuwa bhakti-anukula boli' taha dhori
8) Anything I do which gives pleasure to Your devotee I will embrace as conducive to Your devotional service.
bhakativinoda nahi jane dharmadharma
bhakti-anukula tara hau saba karma
9) Bhaktivinoda knows neither religion nor irreligion. He simply prays that all his activities be favorable for pure devotion unto You.
1) In the land of Godruma in Navadvipa, which is very conducive for performing devotional worship of the Supreme Lord, and which is non-different from the sacred place in Vraja called Nandagram in the holy district of Mathura...
tahi maha surabhi-kunja-kutire
baithobun hama sura-tatini-tire
2) ...There I will settle down in a small cottage within the grove called Surabhi-kunja on the bank of the celestial Ganga river.*
3) I will put on the garb that is dear to the devotees of Lord Gaura-sundara, including the twelve Vaishnava tilaka markings on my body and beautiful beads of tulasi wood around my neck.
campaka, bakula, kadamba, tamal
ropato niramibo kunja vishal
4) Then, by planting flowering trees like campaka, bakula, kadamba, and tamal, I will cultivate an extensive grove by my cottage.
madhavi malati uthabun tahe
chaya-mandapa korobun tanhi mahe
5) I will drape madhavi and malati jasmine creepers upon the trees, and in this way make a shady bower in their midst.
ropobun tatra kusuma-vana-raji
juthi, jati, malli virajabo saji'
6) I will plant row upon row of various forest flowers, including different kinds of jasmine like yuthi, jati, and malli. All these will be present there, arrayed in a charming fashion.
mance basaobun tulasi-maharani
kirtana-sajja tanhi rakhabo ani'
7) I will install the empress tulasi on an elevated platform in this garden, then procure all necessary paraphernalia for having kirtana, such as mridanga drums, karatalas, and gongs, and place them there.
vaishnava-jana-saha gaobun nam
jaya godruma jaya gaura ki dham
8) Then I will commence singing the holy names of the Lord in the company of the Vaishnavas. We will sing, "All glories to the island of Godruma! All glories to the divine abode of Lord Gaurachandra!"
jaya kunja, munja, sura-nadi-kul
9) Bhaktivinoda is favorably disposed to pure devotional service. All glories to Surabhi-kunja, to its tall reeds, and to the banks of the celestial Ganga!
1) Dust from the lotus feet of pure devotees is conducive to devotional service, while service to the Vaishnavas is itself the supreme perfection as well as the root of the tender creeper of divine love.
jatane palana kori
krishna-vasati, vasati boli',
parama adare bori
2) I observe with great care the holy days commemorating the pastimes of Lord Madhava, for they are the mother of devotion. As my dwelling place I choose with the greatest of reverence and love the transcendental abode of Shri Krishna.
gaur amara, ye-saba sthane,
koralo bhramana range
se-saba sthana, heribo ami,
3) All those places where my Lord Gaura-sundara traveled for pastimes I will visit in the company of loving devotees.
mridanga-vadya, shunite mana,
abasara sada yace
gaura-vihita, kirtana shuni',
anande hridoya nace
4) My mind ever longs for the opportunity to hear the music of the mridanga. Upon hearing the kind of kirtan ordained by Lord Gaura-candra, my heart dances in ecstasy.*
yugala-murti, dekhiya mora,
prasada-seva, korite hoya,
sakala prapanca jaya
5) Beholding the Deity forms of the Divine Couple, Shri Shri Radha-Krishna, I feel the greatest joy. By honoring the Lord's prasad, I conquer over all worldly illusions.
ye-dina grihe, bhajana dekhi,
grihete goloka bhaya
carana-sidhu, dekhiya ganga,
sukha na sima paya
6) Goloka Vrindavana appears in my home whenever I see the worship service of Lord Hari taking place there. When I see the Ganga, that river of nectar emanating from the lotus feet of the Lord, my happiness knows no bounds.
tulasi dekhi', judaya prana,
jivana sarthaka mani
7) The sight of the holy tulasi tree soothes my soul, for I know she gives pleasure to Lord Madhava. By tasting the green leafy preparation named shak, a great favorite of Lord Gauranga's, I consider life worthwhile.*
anukula paya jaha
swikara koroye taha
8) Whatever Bhaktivinoda obtains that is favorable for the service of Shri Krishna he accepts every day with the greatest joy.
1) The cottage in the grove on the bank of Radha Kunda, the great Govardhana Hill, the banks of the Yamuna river...
2) ...the Kusuma Sarovara lake, the Manasa Ganga stream, the daughter of Mt. Kalinda (the Yamuna river) with her many waves...
vamshi-vata, gokula, dhira-samir
3) ...the Vamshi Vat banyan tree, the town of Gokula, the holy place Dhira Samira, the trees and creepers and reeds of Vrindavana...
mayura, bhramara, murali-vilas
4) ...the different varieties of birds and deer, the cooling breeze from the Malaya mountains, the peacocks, the bumblebees, the pastimes of the low-pitched murali flute...
venu, shringa, pada-cihna, megha-mala
vasanta, shashanka, shankha, karatala
5) ...the high-pitched venu flute, the buffalo horn bugle, the footprints of the Lord and His consort in the dust of Vraja, the wreaths of blackish rain clouds, springtime, the moon, the conchshell, and the karatalas-
yugala-vilase anukula jani
6)-all these I know to be very favorable for the blissful pastimes of the Divine Couple, Radha and Krishna. I recognize them as transcendental stimulants (uddipaka) for intensifying the Lord's charming pastimes.
e saba chodato kanhi nahi jau
e saba chodato parana harau
7) I refuse to go anywhere if these stimulants of devotional service are not there, for to abandon them is to abandon life itself.
bhakativinoda kohe, shuno kan!
tuwa uddipaka hamara paran
8) Bhaktivinoda says, "Please hear me, O Kana! All the things that stimulate remembrance of You are the very source of my life!"
Thus ends the description of the six processes of surrender known as Sharanagati.
prapance podiyä, agati hoiyä,
nä dekhi upäya är
agatira gati, carane sharana,
tomäya korinu sär
1) O my Lord Hari! Having fallen into the illusion of this world, thus rendered helpless, I see no other means of deliverance but You. Since You are the only recourse for the helpless, I accept the shelter of Your lotus feet as most essential.
karama geyäna, kichu nähi mora,
sädhana bhajana näi
tumi kripä-moya, ämi to' kängäla,
ahaituki kripä cäi
2) I have no background of pious activities, nor any knowledge, nor any regulated devotional practice. But You are full of compassion and kindness; therefore I, being indeed destitute, solicit Your causeless mercy.
miliyä e saba, samsäre bhäsä'ye,
3) The powerful urges of speech, mind, anger, tongue, belly, and genitals have banded together to cast me adrift on the sea of this material world, thus causing me grievous trouble.*
aneka jatane, se saba damane,
chädiyächi äshä ämi
anäthera nätha! däki tava näma,
ekhona bharasä tumi
4) After numerous endeavors to subdue these material demands, I have completely given up all hope. O Lord of the destitute! I call upon Your holy name, for now You are my only hope.*
arthera sancaye, vishaya-prayäse,
äno-adhikära, niyama ägrahe,
1) O my Lord Hari! I have become absorbed in accumulating wealth and endeavoring for material possessions. I am addicted to idle conversations on topics apart from You. I mistakenly accept duties apart from my own qualifications, and am always eager to adhere to the letter of the law. This is the consequence of associating with worldly men.*
asthira siddhänte, rohinu mojiyä,
hari-bhakti roilo dure
e hridoye mätro, para-himsä, mada,
pratishthä, shathatä sphure
2) I remain deeply absorbed in the quicksand of ever-changing, uncertain opinions. Therefore, devotion to You has remained distant from me. In this heart of mine dwells only envy and malice towards others, false pride, the desire for fame and honor, and deceitfulness.
e saba ägraha, chädite närinu,
äpana doshate mari
janama biphala, hoilo ämära,
ekhona ki kori, hari!
3) I have not been able to give up any of these inclinations. Thus my own faults have been my downfall. My birth as a human being has been totally wasted. O Lord Hari, what am I to do now?
ämi to' patita, patita-pävana,
tomära pavitra näma
se sambandha dhori', tomära carane,
sharana loinu häma
4) I am indeed fallen (patita); but Your pure holy name is Patita-pävana-the savior of the fallen. Clinging to our relationship as implied by that holy name, I have taken shelter of Your lotus feet.
bhajane utsaha, bhaktite vishvasa,
1) O my Lord Hari! Enthusiasm in devotional service, faith in the process of devotional service, the treasure of patience in the attainment of love of God, performing activities favorable to pure devotion, abandoning the company of worldly people...
bhakti-sadacara, ei chaya guna,
nahilo amara natha!
kemone bhojibo, tomara carana,
chadiya mayara satha
2) ...performing approved devotional practices-I have never possessed these six devotional qualities, O Lord. How, then, shall I give up my affinity for Maya and worship Your lotus feet?*
garhita acare, rohilama moji',
na korinu sadhu-sanga
lo'ye sadhu-vesha, ane upadeshi,
e bodo mayara ranga
3) Remaining absorbed in abominable activities, I never kept company with sadhus. Now I adopt the garb of a sadhu and act out the role of instructing others. This is Maya's big joke.
e heno dashaya, ahaituki kripa,
tomara paibo, hari!
shri-guru-ashroye, dakibo tomaya,
kabe va minati kori'
4) O Lord Hari, in such a helpless condition surely I will receive Your causeless mercy. O when, under the shelter of my spiritual master, will I call out to You with my humble entreaty?
dana, pratigraha, mitho gupta-katha,
sangera lakshana, ei chaya hoya,
ihate bhaktira prana
1) O my Lord Hari! Offering and receiving gifts, giving and receiving spiritual food, revealing one's thoughts, and making confidential inquiries-these are the six characteristics of loving association, and in them is found the very life of devotion.*
tattva na bujhiye, jnane va ajnane,
asate e saba kori'
bhakti harainu, samsari hoinu,
sudure rohile hari
2) I have failed to understand the truth, and by practicing these six activities with non-devotees, either knowingly or unknowingly, I lost all devotional inclination and have become a materialist. Consequently You, O Lord, still remain far away.
krishna-bhakta-jane, ei sanga-lakshane,
adara koribo jabe
bhakti-maha-devi, amara hridoya-
asane bosibe tabe
3) The day I cherish these activities of intimate association with the devotees of Shri Krishna, that very day the high goddess of devotion will take her seat upon the throne of my heart.
yoshit-sangi-jana, krishna-bhakta ara,
tava bhakta-jana-sanga anukshana,
kabe va hoibe hari!
4) When will I give up the company of those who are addicted to the company of materialistic women and those who are averse to You? And when will I cultivate the constant association of Your devotees, O Lord?
jadi tava nama ga'ya
manase adara, koribo tahare,
jani' nija-jana taya
1) O my Lord Hari! Within my mind I will honor and consider as my own relative one who naturally avoids the offense of bad association and sings Your holy name, be he formally initiated or not.*
dikshita hoiya, bhaje tuwa pada,
tahare pranati kori
ananya-bhajane, vijna yei jana,
tahare sevibo, hari!
2) I offer obeisances to that devotee who is initiated and worships Your lotus feet, and I will faithfully serve, O Hari, a devotee who is fixed in unalloyed devotion to You.
sarva-bhute sama, ye bhaktera mati,
tahara darshane mani
apanake dhanya, se sanga paiya,
caritartha hoilun jani
3) I consider myself greatly fortunate to even see that devotee who regards all living beings equally. Obtaining his association I consider myself fortunate, for I know that I have become successful in life.
nishkapata-mati, vaishnavera prati,
ei dharma kabe pa'bo
kabe samsara-sindhu-para ho'ye,
tava braja-pure ja'bo
4) When will my attitude toward the Vaishnavas become simple and innocent? And when will I cross over this ocean of worldly existence and reach Your transcendental abode of Vraja?
panka-phena drishta hoya
tathapi kakhona, brahma-drava-dharma,
se salila na chadoya
1) O my Lord Hari! Mud and foam are seen in the waters of the Ganga, for that is the inherent nature of river water. Yet the water of the sacred Ganga never loses its purely spiritual nature.*
vaishnava-sharira, aprakrita sada,
kabhu nahe jada, tathapi ye ninde,
pode se vishamadharme
2) One may likewise find natural defects in the body of a Vaishnava, yet his body is always spiritual. It is never to be considered material. That person who criticizes the body of a Vaishnava falls into deadly irreligion.
sei aparadhe, yamera jatana,
paya jiva avirata
he nanda-nandana! sei aparadhe,
yeno nahi hoi hata
3) For such an offense, the fallen soul ceaselessly suffers the tortures of Yamaraja, lord of death. O youthful son of Nanda! I pray that I will not be destroyed by committing such an offense.
tomara vaishnava, vaibhava tomara,
amare koruna doya
tabe mora gati, ha'be tava prati,
pa'bo tava pada-chaya
4) The Vaishnava is Your own, representing Your glorious divine potency. May he be merciful to me. Then my life's journey will turn toward You, and I will attain shelter in the shade of Your lotus feet.
vaishnava thakura, doyara sagara,
e dase koruna kori'
diya pada-chaya, shodho he amaya,
tomara carana dhori
1) O revered Vaishnava Thakura! O ocean of mercy! Please be merciful to me, your humble servant. Purify me by giving the shade of your lotus feet. Your feet I clasp submissively.
chaya vega domi', chaya dosha shodhi',
chaya guna deho' dase
chaya sat-sanga, deho' he amare,
bosechi sangera ashe
2) Please help me to control the six urges, purify me of the six faults, and please instill in your servant the six good qualities. Oh, bestow upon me the six kinds of holy association! I am seated here in the hope of having your company.*
ekaki amara, nahi paya bala,
tumi kripa kori', shraddha-bindu diya,
3) On my own, I find I have no strength to chant the holy name of Lord Hari. Please be merciful by awarding me with a particle of faith and giving me the great treasure of the holy name of Krishna.
krishna se tomara, krishna dite paro,
tomara shakati ache
ami to' kangala, 'krishna' 'krishna' boli',
dhai tava pache pache
4) Krishna is yours, therefore you are able to give Him to others. This is certainly within your power. I am indeed wretched and fallen, simply running after you crying "Krishna! Krishna!"
tomare bhuliya, avidya-pidaya,
pidita rasana mora
krishna-nama-sudha, bhalo nahi lage,
1) O my Lord Hari! Because of forgetting You, my tongue has become embittered with the disease of ignorance. I cannot relish the sweet nectar of Your holy name of Krishna, for I have become addicted to the taste of worldly pleasures.*
prati-dina jadi, adara koriya,
se nama kirtana kori
sitapala jeno, nashi' roga-mula,
krame swadu hoya, hari!
2) If I sing that holy name of Yours aloud every day with warm affection, then as sugar candy taken medicinally destroys the very disease which makes it taste bitter (jaundice), so Your holy name, O Lord Hari, will cure my spiritual disease and allow me to gradually taste Your sweetness.
durdaiva amara, se name adara,
na hoilo, doyamoya!
dasha aparadha, amara durdaiva,
kemone hoibe kshoya
3) How great is my misfortune that I feel no appreciation for Your holy name, O merciful Lord! In such a lamentable state, how will I be freed from committing the ten offenses to the holy name?
anudina jeno, tava nama gai,
kramete kripaya tava
aparadha ja'be, name ruci ha'be,
4) If I sing Your name every day, then gradually by Your mercy the ten offenses will disappear, taste for Your holy name will grow within me, and then I shall relish the intoxicating wine of that name.
shiksha dila mora kane
"jano mora katha, namera kangala!
rati pa'be nama-gane
1) O my Lord Hari! Shri Rupa Goswami, in the form of the spiritual master, spoke these instructions into my ears: "Try to understand my words, O you who beg for the gift of the holy name! You will then develop attraction for singing the holy name.
parama jatane kori'
rasana-manase, koraho niyoga,
2) "Following the scriptural rules and regulations, engage your tongue and your mind in carefully cultivating Lord Krishna's nama (holy names), rupa (divine forms), guna (transcendental qualities), and sucarita (wonderful pastimes). This should be done according to the recommended order of ascending progression.*
braje kori' basa, raganuga hoiya,
smarana kirtana koro
e nikhila kala, koraho japana,
upadesha-sara dharo' "
3) "Always dwelling in the holy land of Vraja, become a practitioner of raganuga-bhakti (spontaneous loving devotion) while engaging in smarana (remembrance) and kirtana (glorification). Spend every moment of your time in these ways. Just accept this as the essence of all instructions."
ha! rupa-gosai, doya kori' kabe,
dibe dine braja-basa
ragatmika tumi, tava padanuga,
hoite dasera asha
4) O Rupa Goswami! When will you, out of your causeless mercy, enable this poor wretched soul to reside in Vraja? You are a ragatmika devotee-an eternally liberated, intimate associate of Radha and Krishna. This humble servant of yours desires to become a loyal follower of your lotus feet.
bodo kripa kori', gauda-vana majhe,
godrume diyacho sthana
ajna dila more, ei braje bosi',
hari-nama koro gana
1) O Gurudeva! Because you are so merciful, you gave me a place to live in Godruma amid the woodlands of Gauda-desha, with this order to fulfill: "Dwell here in this sacred place of Vraja and sing the holy name of Hari."
kintu kabe prabhu, yogyata arpibe,\
e dasere doya kori'
citta sthira habe, sakala sohibo,
ekante bhajibo hari
2) But when, O master, out of your great mercy, will you bestow upon this servant the spiritual qualification to fulfill that order? My mind will then become tranquil, I will endure all hardships, and I will serve Lord Hari with undivided attention.
abhyasa hoilo manda
nija-karma-doshe, e deho hoilo,
3) Due to attachment to worldly pleasures in childhood and youth, I have developed many bad habits. Due to the reaction of these sinful acts my body itself has become an impediment to the service of the Supreme Lord.
vardhakye ekhona, panca-roge hata,
kemone bhojibo bolo'
kandiya kandiya, tomara carane,
4) Now, in old age, afflicted by the five-fold illnesses, how will I serve the Lord? O master, please tell me! Weeping and weeping, I have fallen at your feet, overwhelmed with anxiety.*
kripa-bindu diya, koro' ei dase,
trinapeksha ati hina
sakala sahane, bala diya koro',
1) O Gurudeva! By administering a drop of your mercy make this servant of yours infinitely more humble than a blade of grass. Giving me the strength to bear all trials and troubles, free me from desires for personal honor.*
sakale sammana, korite shakati,
deho' natha! jathajatha
tabe to' gaibo, hari-nama-sukhe,
aparadha ha'be hata
2) O lord and master! Inspire me with the power to befittingly honor all living beings. Only then will I sing the holy name of the Lord in great ecstasy, and my offensive activities will cease.
kabe heno kripa, labhiya e jana,
kritartha hoibe, natha!
shakti-buddhi-hina, ami ati dina,
koro' more atma-satha
3) When will this person be indeed blessed by receiving your mercy, O lord and master? Devoid of all strength and intelligence, I am very low and fallen. Please make me your own.
yogyata-vicare, kichu nahi pai,
karuna na hoile, kandiya kandiya,
prana na rakhibo ara
4) When I examine myself for worthiness, I find nothing of value. Therefore Your mercy is the essence of life. If you are not merciful to me, then I will constantly weep and weep, no longer being able to maintain my life.
kabe mora sei din ha'be
mana sthira kori', nirjane bosiya,
krishna-nama ga'bo jabe
samsara-phukara, kane na poshibe,
deho-roga dure ro'be
1) O Gurudeva! When will that day be mine? With a steady mind, sitting in a secluded place, I will sing the name of Shri Krishna. The tumultuous pandemonium of worldly existence will no longer echo in my ears, and the diseases of the body will remain far away.
'hare krishna' boli', gahite gahite,
nayane bohibe lora
dehete pulaka, udita hoibe,
premete koribe bhora
2) When I chant "Hare Krishna" tears of love will flow and flow from my eyes. Ecstatic rapture will arise within my body, causing my hair to stand on end and my entire being to become overwhelmed with divine love.
gada-gada vani, mukhe bahiribe,
kanpibe sharira mama
gharma muhur muhuh, virvarna hoibe,
stambhita pralaya sama
3) Faltering words choked with emotion will issue from my mouth. My body will tremble, constantly perspire, turn pale and discolored, and become stunned. All of this will be like a devastation of ecstatic love and cause me to fall unconscious.*
nishkapate heno, dasha kabe ha'be,
nirantara nama ga'bo
aveshe rohiya, deha-yatra kori',
tomara karuna pa'bo
4) When will such a genuine ecstatic condition be mine? I will constantly sing the holy name and remain absorbed in profound devotion while traveling in the material body. In this way I will receive your mercy.
kabe tava karuna-prakashe
shri-gauranga-lila, hoya nitya-tattwa,
ei dridha vishvase
'hari hari' boli', godruma-kanane,
1) O Gurudeva! When will it be, as a manifestation of your mercy? I will become fixed in the firm faith that Lord Gauranga's pastimes are eternal realities. Chanting "Hari! Hari!" I will wander throughout the groves of Godruma, hoping to catch a glimpse of those pastimes.
nitai, gauranga, adwaita, shrivasa,
krishna-nama-rase, bhasa'be jagat,
2) The five personalities-Nitai, Gauranga, Advaita, Shrivasa, and Gadadhara-will flood the entire universe with the intoxicating nectar of the holy name of Shri Krishna by performing a maha-sankirtan.
dekhiya dekhiya, se lila-madhuri,
bhasibo premera bane
3) With my own ears I will hear the sounds of playful dancing and the rhythmic pulsations of the mridanga drums. By constantly looking and looking upon the sweetness and beauty of that pastime, I will float in the floodtide of divine love.
na dekhi' abara, se lila-ratana,
kandi ha gauranga! boli'
amare vishayi, pagala boliya,
angete dibeka dhuli
4) The next moment losing sight of the jewel of that pastime, I shall weep and cry out, "O my Lord Gauranga!" Materialists will then proclaim me thoroughly mad and will throw dust upon my body.
Thus ends the section on Bhajana-Lalasa.
kabe gaura-vane, suradhuni-tate,
'hä rädhe hä krishna' bole'
kändiyä bedä'bo, deho-sukha chädi',
1) When will I wander weeping under the shade of various trees and creepers on the banks of the celestial Gangä river in the land of Navadvipa, crying, "O Rädhe! O Krishna!" and forgetting all physical comforts?
shwa-paca-grihete, mägiyä khäibo,
puline puline, gadä-gadi dibo,
2) I will take my meals by begging at the homes of dog-eaters, and will drink the water of the Sarasvati river. In ecstasy I will roll on the ground from bank to bank of the river, raising an uproar of "Krishna! Krishna!"
dhäma-bäsi jane, pranati koriyä,
mägibo kripära lesha
vaishnava-carana- renu gäya mäkhi',
3) Bowing down to the inhabitants of the holy land, I will beg a particle of their mercy. I will smear the dust of the Vaishnavas' feet all over my body and wear the dress of a mendicant.
gauda-braja-jane, bheda nä dekhibo,
dhämera swarupa, sphuribe nayane,
hoibo rädhära däsi
4) I will see no difference between the inhabitants of Vraja Bhumi and those of Navadvipa, and I will be transformed into a resident of Vraja. The true nature of the Lord's abode will manifest itself to my eyes, and I will become a maidservant of Shrimati Rädhäräni.*
dekhite dekhite, bhulibo va kabe,
nayane heribo, braja-pura-shobha,
1) When, in a flash, will I forget my gross bodily indentity? I will behold the exquisite beauty of the realm of Vraja, full of eternal spiritual bliss.
brishabhanu-pure, janama loibo,
yavate vivaha ha'be
braja-gopi-bhava, hoibe swabhava,
ano-bhava na rohibe
2) I shall have my birth in the town of King Vrishabhanu, and eventually be married nearby in Yavat-gram. My sole disposition and character shall be that of a cowherd girl, and I shall know no other mood.*
radha-kripa-bale, lobhibo va kabe,
3) When will I obtain, by the power of Radha's mercy, my own eternal spiritual body, my own realized name, my own form, and my own dress? And when, by Her mercy, will I receive initiation into the techniques of expressing divine love for Krishna?*
jamuna-salila- aharane giya,
prema-mugdha ho'ye, pagalini-praya,
gaibo radhara yasha
4) As I go to draw water from the Yamuna, I shall cherish knowing the confidential mellows that unite the divine pair Radha and Krishna. Being enchanted by sublime love, I will sing Shri Radha's glories just like a madwoman.
hoibo ye palya-dasi
shri-radhara sukha, satata sadhane,
rohibo ami prayasi
1) For serving the lotus feet of the daughter of Vrishabhanu, I shall become a protected maidservant of one of the gopis in Vraja. I will always strive to bring about the pleasure of Shri Radha.*
shri-radhara sukhe, krishnaera ye sukha,
janibo manete ami
radha-pada chadi', shri-krishna-sangame,
kabhu na hoibo kami
2) Within my heart I will know that Radha's pleasure is Krishna's only source of joy. Therefore, I will never desire to abandon Her lotus feet for enjoying His exclusive company.*
sakhi-gana mama, parama-suhrit,
tad-anuga ho'ye, sevibo radhara,
3) The sakhis are my best friends and teachers concerning the love uniting Radha with Krishna. By following their example, I shall serve Radha's lotus feet, which are like wish-fulfilling trees.
radha-paksha chadi', ye-jana se-jana,
ye bhave se bhave thake
ami to' radhika- paksha-pati sada,
kabhu nahi heri ta'ke
4) I myself am always partial to Radhika's camp and therefore never look upon those who have abandoned Radha's entourage, whoever they may be and whatever their ways.*
kabe ha'be bolo se-dina ämär
(ämär) aparädha ghuci', shuddha näme ruci,
kripä-bale ha'be hridoye saïcär
1) Please tell me, when oh when will that day be mine? My offenses will come to an end, and a taste for the pure holy name will be infused within my heart by the power of divine grace.
trinädhika héna, kabe nije mäni',
sahishnutä-guna hridoyete äni'
sakale mänada, äpani amäné,
hoye äswädibo näma-rasa-sär
2) Feeling myself lower than a blade of grass, welcoming the quality of forbearance into my heart, giving honor to all living beings, and being freed from false pride, when will I taste the essence of the liquid nectar of the holy name?*
dhana jana ära, kavitä-sundaré,
bolibo nä cähi deho-sukha-karé
janme janme däo, ohe gaurahari!
ahaituké bhakti carane tomär
3) Wealth, followers, beautiful women as described in worldly poetry-I do not want any such bodily pleasures. O Lord Gaurahari! Please give me unmotivated devotion to Your lotus feet birth after birth.*
(kabe) korite shré-krishna- näma uccärana,
pulakita deho gadgada vacana
vaivarnya-vepathu, ha'be samghaöana,
nirantara netre ba'be ashru-dhär
4) When, while articulating the divine name of Shré Krishna, will my body be thrilled in ecstatic rapture, my words choking with emotion, loss of color and ecstatic trembling occuring, and streams of tears flowing constantly from my eyes?
kabe navadwépe, suradhuné-taöe,
gaura-nityänanda boli' nishkapaöe
näciyä gäiyä, bedäibo chuöe,
bätulera präya chädiyä vicär
5) When, in the land of Navadvépa, on the banks of the celestial Gangä, will I run about innocently calling out, "O Gaura! O Nityänanda!"? Dancing and singing, I will wander about like a madman, giving up all consideration of proper social behavior.
kabe nityänanda, more kori' doyä,
chädäibe mora vishayera mäyä
diyä more nija- caranera chäyä,
nämera häöete dibe adhikär
6) When will Lord Nityänanda be merciful to me and release me from the illusion of worldliness? When will He give me the shade of His own lotus feet and bestow upon me the qualification necessary to enter the Marketplace of the Holy Name?*
kinibo, luöibo, hari-näma-rasa,
näma-rase mäti' hoibo vivasha
rasera rasika- carana parasha,
koriyä mojibo rase anibär
7) Somehow or other I shall buy or steal the mellows of the name of Lord Hari. Becoming thoroughly intoxicated by those liquid mellows, I will be stunned. By touching the feet of those great souls who are expert in relishing those mellows, I will be constantly immersed in the sweet nectar of the holy name.
kabe jéve doya, hoibe udoya,
nija-sukha bhuli' sudéna-hridoya
bhakativinoda, koriyä vinoya,
shré-äjïä-öahala koribe pracär
8) When will there be an awakening in me of compassion for all fallen souls? Then this Bhaktivinoda will forget his own happiness, and with a meek heart he will set out to propagate by humble solicitation the sacred order of Shré Chaitanya Mahäprabhu.
krishna-näma dhare koto bal
vishaya-väsanänale, mora citta sadä jwale,
karna-randhra-patha diyä, hridi mäjhe praveshiyä,
varishoya sudhä anupam
1) What power does the name of Krishna possess? My heart constantly burns in the fire of worldly desires, just like a desert scorched by the rays of the sun. The holy name, entering the core of my heart through the holes of my ears, showers unparalleled nectar upon my soul.
hridoya hoite bole, jihvära agrete cale,
shabda-rupe näce anukshan
kanöhe mora bhange swara, anga känpe thara thara,
sthira hoite nä päre caran
2) The holy name speaks from within my heart, moves onto the tip of my tongue, and constantly dances on it in the form of transcendental sound. My throat becomes choked up, my body shivers again and again, and my feet cannot remain still.
cakshe dhärä, dehe gharma, pulakita saba carma,
vivarna hoilo kalevara
murchita hoilo man, pralayera ägaman,
bhäve sarva-deha jara jara
3) Rivers of tears flow from my eyes, perspiration completely soaks my body, all my skin thrills with rapture, my hairs stand on end, and my complexion turns pale and discolored. My mind grows faint, I begin to experience devastation, and my entire body is shattered in a flood of ecstatic emotions.
kori' eto upadrava, citte varshe sudhä-drava,
more däre premera sägare
kichu nä bujhite dilo, more to' bätula koilo,
mora citta-vitta saba hare
4) While causing such an ecstatic disturbance, the holy name showers liquid nectar on my heart and drowns me in the ocean of divine love of Godhead. He does not allow me to understand anything, for He has made me truly mad by having stolen away my mind and all my resources.
loinu ashroya ja'r, heno vyavahara ta'r,
varnite na pari e sakal
krishna-nama iccha-moy, jahe jahe sukhi hoy,
sei mora sukhera sambal
5) Such is the behavior of Him in whom I have taken shelter. I am not capable of describing all this. The holy name of Krishna is independent and thus acts on His own sweet will. In whatever way He becomes happy, that is also my way of happiness.
premera kalika nam, adbhuta rasera dham,
heno bala karaye prakash
ishat vikashi' punah, dekhay nija-rupa-guna,
citta hari' loya krishna-pash
6) The holy name is the bud of the flower of divine love, and is the very abode of astonishing mellows. Such is the power He manifests that when His holy name starts to blossom a little further, it then reveals His own divine form and qualities. Thus my heart is abducted and taken directly to Krishna.
purna vikashita hoiyä, braje more jäya loiyä,
dekhäy more swarupa-viläs
more siddha-deha diyä, krishna-päshe räkhe giyä,
e dehera kore sarva-näsh
7) Blossoming fully, the flower of the holy name takes me to Vraja and reveals to me His own love-dalliance. This name gives to me my own eternal spiritual body, keeps me right by Krishna's side, and completely destroys everything related to this mortal frame of mine.
krishna-näma-cintämani, akhila rasera khani,
nämera bäläi jata, saba lo'ye hoi hata,
tabe mora sukhera udoy
8) The name of Krishna is a transcendental touchstone, a mine of all devotional mellows. It is eternally liberated, and the embodiment of pure rasa. When all impediments to the pure chanting of the holy name are taken away and destroyed, then my happiness will know its true awakening.
Thus ends Çaranägati by Thäkura Bhaktivinoda.