|NITAAI-Veda.nyf > Compiled and Imp Scriptures > Dvadasha Gopala > 05 Kamalakara Pippalai|
05 Kamalakara Pippalai
"Kamalakara Pippalai is said to have been the third Gopala, Mahabala. His behavior and love of Godhead were uncommon, and thus he is celebrated all over the world." [C.c. Adi 11/24]
He is referred to as Kamalakanta Pippalai in Shri Chaitanya-bhagavata. In Krishna-lila, his name is Mahabala. In the Shripat Parjatan and Vaishnava-acara-darpane it is said that he was present during the Danda Mahotsava at Panihati (Sakabda 1439), and also at the festival at Kheturi, (Sakabda 1504). He was also present at the festival honoring the disappearance of dasa Gadadhara at Katwa. "Pandit Kamalakanta was extremely intense. Nityananda gave him the village of Saptagram." [C.B. Antya 5.729]
Kamalakar Pippalai married later on in life. He had one daughter by the name Vidyonmala-devi. It is mentioned in Nityananda-vamsa-vistara that this daughter was later married to Sudhamaya Cattopadhyaya of Mahesa. (They had a daughter at Puri, Narayani devi, who was later married to Virabhadra Gosai. According to Vaishnava-acara-darpana, however, the son-in-law of Kamalakar is Yadunandana. [V.a.d. page 10] According to the descendents of Kamalakara Pippalai at Mahesa, his daughter's name was Radharani, and Kamalakar's younger brother's daughter was named Rama-devi.
According to Shri Prasada dasa Adhikari, the fourteenth descendent from Kamalakara Pippalai, who bases his information on the tradition handed down from generation to generation and records within the temple of Jagannath at Mahesa, Kamalakara Pippalai's birthplace was Khalijuli, a village near the Sundarvana jungles. He appeared in a family of Suddha-srotriya-radhi-sreni brahmana, Batsya gotra, in the year 1414 Sakabda (Bengali year 899). His father was a wealthy zamindar. His younger brother's name was Nidhi pati.
The Deity of Jagannatha was established by Dhruvananda Brahmacari and the worship was later entrusted to Kamalkara. Kamalkara was ordered in a dream to come there to worship Lord Jagannatha. After he came here his brother set out in search of Him and finally found Him at Mahesh. He tried to persuade the Lord to return with him to his home, but being unsuccessful, he instead brought all his own family members to Mahesa, including the family priest Candibara Thakura. Mahesh was then a jungle, but due to the presence of Kamalakara it became a beautiful village.
Kamalakara also had a son whose name was Caturbhuja. Radharani was married to Kamadeva Pandita of Khardaha, according to the Adhikar family. According to the Vaishnava-acara-darpana, after giving his daughter in marriage, he went to Vrndavana and left his body there.
According to the Adhikari family he passed away in 1485 (Sakabda, Bengali year 970) at the age of 71, but where and how is not known. There is no samadhi at Mahesh. The opinions of the Adhikari family do not tally with all the scrolls (Hey man, what do you mean by scrolls of papyrus, or what?) describing the period. There is no record in the family of his association with Nityananda Prabhu.
The fourth descendent in the line was Rajiva Locana. During his time, the financial condition of the temple was at a low state. Therefore the worship of the Deity was not going on very nicely. However, in the Bengali year 1060, the Nawab of Dhaka donated 1185 bighas of land. At that time the village became known as Jagannathapur. It was situated three miles south-west of Mahesh. Then the finance minister of the Nawab, Gauri Caran Raya Chaudhuri of Panihati, made some changes after there was a dispute regarding payment of taxes. He arranged that Cunakhali Pargana would pay the taxes for Jagannathapur and that property was endowed for the support of the Deity.
The present temple was constructed by Nayan Cand Mallick in 1162. That family was from Calcutta at Pathuriya Ghata. The previous temple was on the banks of the Ganga but was destroyed due to the shifting of the river.
The present rath (chariot) of Lord Jagannatha, constructed of iron, was constructed under the patronage of Krishna Candra Babu Mahesaya in the year 1292. This required an expenditure of twenty thousand coins. An earlier ratha had been reduced to ashes by a fire. The first ratha was built by Krishna Ram Basu Dewan, from Syambazaar in Calcutta. When that became old, his son, Guru Caran Basu Dewan, made a new one. In the year 1260 that one also burned. Then his son, Kalacand Basu Ray Bahadur, again built another one.
Lord Jagannatha's Gunja bati was built by Rangamayi Dasi Mallick in 1264. The present descendents of Kamalakara have the title Adhikara.
His dissappearance occured on the thirteenth day of the bright fortnight in the month of Caitra, in Vraja-dham.