|NITAAI-Veda.nyf > Compiled and Imp Scriptures > Chaitanya Mangala > Chaitanya Mangala > Sutra-khanda > Grantharambha|
The Book Begins
Song 1 (Varadi raga - Disha)
Refrain: O! O! O! I place many offerings before Lord Gaura. I sing of the virtues and glorious form of Lord Gaura, who to the whole world freely gave the gift of ecstatic spiritual love.
1. Glory, glory to Shri Krishna Chaitanya and Shri Nityananda! Glory, glory to blissful Advaita Acarya!
2. Glory to Gadadhara Pandita! Glory to Narahari Thakura! Glory, glory to Shrinivasa, who is worthy to perform pure devotional service!
3. In my heart I offer respectful obeisances to the dear devotees of Lord Chaitanya.
4. Now I will speak the stroies of Lord Gaura. Please hear them carefully. In private, Damodara Pandita asked:
5. Why did Lord Gauranga descend to this world? You give the answer and I will hear it. My heart is filled with bliss to hear that answer.
6. Why did the Lord turn away from His dark color and accept a fair-colored form? Why, when the holy names are sung, does He roll on the ground and allow His limbs to be covered with dust?
7. Why did He renounce the garments of a householder and accept sannyasa? Why, alas, did He wander from country to country?
8. Why did He weep, calling out, Radha! Radha! Govinda!'? Why, visiting home after home, did He freely give the gift of ecstatic love? 9. Now I will repeat the confidential answers to these questions. Even a fool who hears these answers will be delivered.
10. Hearing these questions, Murari Gupta said, Please hear, O Pandita. Iwill answer all your questions.
11. The dharma-shastras say religion is completely manifest in Satya-yuga. I tell you religion is three-
fourths manifest in Treta-yuga.
12. I tell you religion is half-manifest in Dvapara-yuga and and one-fourth manifest in Kali-yuga. That is the opinion of the dhharma-shastras. 13. As sin increases, religion wanes. As people neglect their duties, varnashrama wanes. 14. The Kali-yuga is filled with the blinding darkness of horrible sins. Everyone is drowning in sin. Everyone is devastated by sin.
15. Seeing no true religion present, the great sage Narada kindly decided to rescue the Kali-yuga.
16. He thought, The black snake of Kali-yuga das devoured everything." He thought, Religion should be established.
17. Without Lord Krishna no one has the power to establish religion. Therefore I must quickly bring Lord Krishna to the Kali-yuga.
18. What the devotees desire, Lord Krishna also desires always. That is the opinion of the Vedas and Agama-
19. If I, a servant of Lord Krishna, desire to do it, I can bring Lord Krishna to the Kali-yuga.
20. First I will observe the activities of Kali-
yuga. Then I will bring Lord Krishna, who is religion itself.
21. Then I will bring all the demigods. They will be Lord Krishna's associates. They will be His associates, servnats, weapons, and confidential companions."
22. In this way Narada and the sages, Brahma and the demigods, and Durga and the goddesses all took birth on the earth.
23. By their expansions the members of the Yadu dynasty in Dvaraka also took birth on the earth.
24. Now I will tell everything of how the Supreme Lord descended to the earth. Please listen with care.
25. Gaura-avatara is the best of all avataras. No other avatara is merciful like Him.
26. Feeling unhappy for the sufferings of others, the great sage Narada sang nectar descriptions of Lord Krishna day and night.
27. He traveled in the world of birth and death eagerly singing the glories of Lord Krishna, but the people would not listen to Lord Krishna's holy name. They wanted only things of the material world.
28. Overcome by tasting the sweet nectar of Lord Krishna's glories, Narada spoke with a choked voice. One moment he wept. The next he loudly laughed.
29. Playing his vina, he sang Lord Krishna's glories. Tears streamed from his eyes. Within and wuthout Narada Muni was plunged in the nectar of Lord Krishna's glories. 30. His every limb filled with the bliss of ecstatic spiritual love, as he wandered in the material world, Narada did not hear anyone chant the holy name of Lord Krishna.
31. Sad at heart, the sage was very surprised. He did not see any way to save the people of the world.
32. Everyone was bitten by the black snake of Kali-
yuga. Everyone was always aflame with pride and delusion.
33. Devoted only to their bellies and genitals, everyone was bewildered. They had forgotten Lord Krishna.
34. Their hearts were always splashed by greed, illusion, lust, anger, intoxication, and pride. They thought that splashing was just like nectar.
35. They were needlessly troubled by thoughts of It is I' and It is mine'. Who am I? What is mine? That they did not know.
36. Seeing the unhappy situation of the people, worried Narada began to think within his heart. He thought and thought.
37. He did not see any way to rescue the people of the horrible Kali-yuga. Wandering and wandering, he finally came to the gate of Dvaraka City.
38. Lord Krishna, who is the crest jewel of the masters of the demigods, and who is the king of Dvaraka, passed the whole night happily enjoying pastimes in Queen Satyabhama's palace.
39. When the sun rose He performed His morning duties. Then He hinted that He would visit Queen Rukmini's palace.
40. Hearing of her good fortune, Queen Rukmini could not keep still. Her every limb trembled.
41. She carefully cleaned her palace and then decorated her body with exquisite garments. A band of many different instruments played. Everything was blissful.
42. At the time of the Lord's auspicious arrival there were many auspicious full waterpots. Many ghee lamps burned.
43. Overcome with bliss, Mitravinda, Nagnajita, Susshila, and Subala offered arati to the Lord.
44. Bringing scented water, Queen Rukmini washed the Lord's feet.
45. Placing the Lord's glorious feet to her breast, with great love Rukmini gazed at her Lord. For a moment she held the Lord's feet at her breast.
46. Holding the Lord's feet, Rukmini wept. Surprised, Lord Krishna asked:
47. I do not know why you weep. Why do you weep? O My queen, please tell Me.
48. To Me You are more dear than life. That the whole world knows. Who is more dear than you? Tell Me. 49. Did I defame you? Did I not obey your command? You do not speak. O My queen, what wrong did I do?
50. Only once did I tease you. You became very unhappy at heart.
51. How many times did I earnestly beg forgiveness? Your hard heart never softened."
52. Hearing these cruel words come from the Lord's mouth, with sweet anger Rukmini said:
53. My heart is hard. It is not soft. Still, I am fortunate in one way: You are my very life.
54. Your feet are more dear to me than life. Tasting the madhvika nectar of Your feet, even Lord Shiva dances, wild with bliss.
55. You know the whole world perfectly. Still, You cannot understand the words of one who loves Your feet.
56. If You place in Your heart the love Radha feels for You, then You will understand the love Your devotees feel for You."
57. Hearing these words, the Lord felt great wonder in His heart. He said: What did you say? What did you say? O My queen, please say it one more time. 58. What you said I did not hear very well. What was it? I did not understand it.
59. Hearing your rare words, I feel drawn to you. My heart is filled with wonder.
60. What is this rare thing so hard to find in the three worlds? I think it would be very wonderful to hear about it, or perhaps to see it.
61. From your mouth I have heard of something even I do not understand. How can I understand the bliss that now fills My heart?
62. O My queen, please tell Me about this thing. Tell Me. Tell Me."
In this way Locana dasa faithfully describes the glories of Lord Krishna's feet.
Song 2 (Dhanashi raga - Dirgha-chanda)
63. Queen Rukmini said: O Lord decorated with the jewels of virtues, please listen. In Your heart You cannot understand. Although You know everything else, you cannot understand My explanation of why I weep. 64. You do not understand that power that resides in Your lotus feet. Eventually You will take Your feet from My palace and go somewhere else. That is why my heart weeps.
65. The fragrance of Your lotus feet fills all directions. Wherever it goes it chases away old age and death. What are day, night, and passing seasons to one who spends his life drinking the honey of Your lotus feet?
66. I fall at the feet of anyone who lovingly grasps the ruby lotus of Your feet. Weeping and my heart agitated, I tell You of that person's glories.
67. You are the master of all. Who in this world can be the master of You? Anyone who loves your feet and tastes the sweet nectar there I praise before You.
68. Radha alone knows the sweetest nectar of love. She alone tastes the bliss of love. Day and night hearing of the nectar of Her love, how can the devotees not become filled with wonder? 69. Brahma and all the demigods and goddesses, including Goddess Lakshmi who serves Your feet, all yearn to taste that nectar of love for You. Goddess Lakshmi, whose hands are like lotus flowers and who is overcome with deep love for You, begs for the nectar of Your lotus feet.
70. I am Goddess Rama. I rest on Your chest. I sleep with You in the same bed. I see You face to face. Still I yearn to attain the sweetness at Your feet. Who has the power to describe the glories of Your feet?
71. Goddess Lakshmi yerans to attain love for Your feet. Only Radha, who enjoyed pastimes with You in Vrindavana, knows the true glory of Your feet. The path of Her good fortune never ends.
72. Radha fills the world with wonder. With the ropes of Her virtues She binds You. Even now You have not turned away from Her. Your heart pines for Her. The sound of Radha's name makes tears stream from Your eyes. I see that this shows the power of Radha's love for Your feet.
73. Now that You are in my house my heart is filled with joy. But I still weep, for we will be separated again. I know this shows the power of Your lotus feet.
74. You are the devotees' meditation. You are the devotees' rapt thinking of You in trance. You are the devotees' only friend in every situation. The devotees are Your servant. They yearn to attain Your feet. You are the wonderful great enchantment that charms them.
75. Lakshmi is the maidservant at Your feet. She yearns to serve You. You are her master. Her master, You pay no attention to her glorious virtues. By ignoring her it is as if You have pushed an iron spear into her heart.
76. Anyone who thirsts to attain the honey of Your lotus feet finds an eternal ocean of honey that will never be lessened or lost. I think Lakshmi and Sarasvati are truly fortunate, for they serve You. They have placed themselves under Your dominion.
77. Even from the corner of his eye a devotee will not glance at the four kinds of liberation beginning with salokya-mukti. Plunged in the nectar of ecstatic love for You, a devotee will not desire anything but You. Even residence in Vaikuntha or any other glorious place they think unimportant.
78. Folding my palms, I beg: O master, please make me a bumblebee at the lotus flower of Your feet. I fear that You will leave me. Weeping, this sinner begs: Please do not leave my palace." 79. Please listen to Queen Rukmini's description of Lord Krishna's lotus feet. With these words she revealed her pure love for Him. His heart overcome with love, by the Lord's mercy Locana dasa sings the Lord's glories.
Song 3 (Dhanashi raga - Madhya-chanda)
Refrain: O! O! O! O! O! Please hear more songs about Lord Gaura's glories, songs full of wonderful words, songs that bring auspiciousness to the ears.
80. Hearing these words of Rukmini, Lord Krishna felt great joy in His heart. He floated in the stream of compassionate tears that flowed from the red lotus flowers of His eyes.
81. Gently He came close to Rukmini. He sat on His throne, and placed Rukmini on His lap.
82. With His right hand He touched her chin. He gazed at her. In this way He made great waves in the nectar ocxean of ecstatic spiritual love.
83. He said: Never have I heard such wonderful words. Never has anyone suggested I should taste the bliss of ecstatic love."
84. At that moment Narada Muni unexpectedly arrived. His face was marked with sorrow. His heart was worried.
85. Queen Rukmini at once rose and respectfully offered padya and arghya, offered him a seat on the throne, and asked about his welfare.
86. Lord Krishna also rose, tightly embraced Narada, and greeted him with sweet words.
87. Tears of love flowed from Narada's eyes. He trembled. His voice was choked up.
88. The tears from his eyes streamed over his body. He tried to speak. He had no power to say a word.
89. Lord Krishna asked him: O sage, please say what is in your heart. Why are you so devastated? What worry fills your heart?
90. You are more dear to Me than life. To you I am like your own life. When I see you unhappy I almost fall unconscious."
91. Narada said: O Lord, what shall I say? You are the master of all masters. You are the Supersoul in every heart.
92. Singing Your glories is my ambrosia food. Eager to tell other of Your glories, I traveled in the world of birth and death.
93. As I traveled in the world of birth and death I did not hear the name Krishna. Intoxicated with pride, the people have forgotten You.
94. Everyone is bewildered with pride. I saw the people are not interested in Krishna. That is my sorrow.
95. I do not see any way to deliver the people. Again and again I think these thoughts.
96. Now I have revealed the sorrow in my heart. Only byu the mercy of Your feet can anyone become happy."
97. Smiling, Lord Krishna said: Listen, O great sage. You forget what has already happened.
98. You forgot that Goddess Katyayani vowed to Lord Shiva that she would sitribute My maha-prasada.
99. Also, now that I have heard wonderful words from Rukmini, I have become agitated and I also will speak a vow.
100. I vow I will taste the ecstasy of spiritual love and I will make the people of the material world taste it also. I will become a humble person in the Kali-yuga.
101. Accompnaied by devotees, I will engage in devotional service. I, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, will give to the people ecstatic love for Me.
102. I will manifest the sankirtana movement of chanting My glories. In will take birth in Shaci's womb in Navadvipa.
103. I will manifest a tall fair form with arms that reach My knees. My peerless form will be glorious like Mount Sumeru.
104. Speaking and speaking in this way, Lord Krishna manifested the form of Lord Gaura. Gazing at that form, Narada was overcome with ecstatic love.
105. That form glorious like mount Sumeru was filled with ecstatic spiritual love. In this way Locana dasa describes the first time the form of Lord Gaura was manifest.
Song 4 (Shri raga - Disha)
Refrain: Glory, glory to Lord Gauranga! Alas! Alas! Why do I not taste the nectar of ecstatic love for Lord Gauranga?
106. With a happy heart Narada Muni gazed at Lord Gaura's form. A thousand flooding streams of tears flowed from Narada's eyes.
107. Lord Gaura's form was glorious like ten million moons or ten million suns. He was more handsome than Kamadeva himself.
108. Narada had no power to gaze at Lord Gaura's effulgent form. The sage closed his eyes and trembled.
109. Covering His effulgence, the Lord glanced at Narada and loudly called: Look, O Narada.
110. Regaining consciousness, the sage became rapt in meditation on Lord Krishna's form. With thirsty eyes he yearned to see again the form of Lord Gaura.
111. The Lord said: Listen, O fortunate sage. You may go wherever you wish. No one can stop you. Wherever you go you will be loved.
112. In Shivaloka, Brahmaloka, and the other celestial planets make a proclamation that into the Kali-yuga I will descend in a golden form.
113. There I will manifest the sankirtana movement of chantingMy holy names and glories. There I will preach the bliss of tasting the nectar of loving devotional service to Me.
114. On the path od devotional service there are now hundreds and hundreds of branches. There is no end to the branches. There should be only one branch in the world. Therefore I will preach the glories of ecstatic spiritual love (prema).
115. Accompnaied by My own associates and devotees, I will take birth on the earth. I descire to engage in loving devotional service (prema-bhakti)."
116. Hearing these words from the Lord's graceful mouth, Narada felt all his sorrows break into pieces by the mercy of the Lord's feet.
117. Narada Muni sounded his vina and departed. His thoughts filled with the nectar of these words:
118. What I wonderful fair form I saw! What a wonderful form with reddish eyes and great mercy I saw!
119. What a form sweeter than nectar I saw! What a sweet smile I saw!
120. Of all the avataras, this avatara is the best. Never have I seen such a great glory of ecstatic spiritual love.
121. On this day my life has borne its fruit. On this day my eyes have borne their fruit. Now I have seen the blissful, glorious, merciful face of Lord Gaura.
122. Never have I seen such an ocean of mercy. My heart will never forget Him. My eyes yearn to see HIm."
123. Thinking and thinking in this way, Narada Muni traveled on the path. Arriving at Naimisharanya, he met his friend Uddhava.
124. First standing up and then offering padya and arghya, Uddhava fell to the ground like a stick before Narada Muni's feet.
125. He thought: I am fortunate. This is an auspicious day. At an auspicious moment I have come to Naimisharanya."
126. Narada picked up Uddhava, embraced him, kissed him, and smelled his head.
127. Uddhava offered him a sitting place. Smiling and smiling, he spoke what was in his heart.
128. He said: This day is glorious. Now my birth in this world has borne its fruit. Now I will tell you of a desire that has long stayed in my heart.
129. Here in Naimisharanya, in ancient days Vyasa compiled the Vedas. Still he could not destroy the illusion in his heart.
130. Then, by your mercy, he heard the secret of spiritual life and wrote Shrimad-Bhagavatam to deliver the world.
131. You alone know the truth. O master, you know the heart of the Supreme Personality of Godhead. Please tell me what will happen in the future.
132. My heart yearns to deliver the people of Kali-
yuga. In Kali-yuga the poeple are filled with sins. Their eyes and hearts are blind.
133. In the Satya, Treta, and Dvapara yugas the people knew religion, but in the horrible Kali-yuga no one knows religion. Everyone is a sinner
134. If you feel compassion for me, please destroy my doubts and fears. No one is more compassionate than you."
135. Smiling with a happy heart, Narada Muni said: O Uddhava, O servant of Lord Hari, the question you ask is good.
136. I will tell you a great secret. In my heart I also felt a great sorrow like yours.
137. But now I know the people in Kali-yuga are
very fortunate. The people in Kali-yuga are very fortunate. Others are not fortunate like them.
138. In Satya-yuga and the other yugas the religion of the age (yuga-dharama) is very harsh. But in Kali-yuga the religion of the age is only chanting the holy nasmes of Lord Hari.
139. In Kali-yuga simply by chanting the holy names and glories of Lord Hari the people are released from material bondage. Simply by singing and dancing, they no longer fear Yamaraja.
140. Please carefully listen to other wonderful news, news of what in Dvaraka I saw with my own eyes.
141. With words like nectar, Lord Krishna told Rukmini: `In My heart I have decided to freely distribute to the people ecstatic love for Me.'
142. As Lord Krishna, Queen Rukmini on His lap, sat on His throne, I, my heart filled with sorrows, approached Him.
143. Seeing that I was sorrowful, Lord Krishna asked me: `As I look at you, I must ask: Why have you become like this?'
144. Approaching the lord's feet, I told Him the thoughts in my heart. Happily smiling, the Lord said:
145. `Rukmini talk Me the glories of ecstatic love for My feet. Hearing her words I, even though I am the Supreme Lord Himself, have become ovewhelmed by the greatness of that love.
146. `I will taste the bliss of that ecstatic love and I will make the whole world taste it also. Assuming a humble nature, I will manifest in the Kali-yuga.
147. `The Kali-yuga is horrible. It is filled with sins. Religion is not present in it. Therefore, becoming humble, I will teach the world.'
148-149. Speaking and speaking in this way, Lord Krishna manifested a fair form splendid like gold, a form filled with ecstatic spiritual love, a form with a broad chest and two arms that touched His knees. Then He vowed: I will widely distribute ecstatic spiritual love for Me.'
150. I tell you: that is what I saw and heard. Now I will travel in the world of birth and death to tell the others.
151. Eager to taste the ecstasy of loving devotional service, the Supreme Personality of Godhead will take birth on the earth. Manifesting a wonderful form, He will come to the Kali-yuga."
152. Hearing Narada's words, Uddhava was overcome with ecstasy. Falling at Narada's feet, he wept with joy.
153. He said: These wonderful words have placed life into my lifeless body.
154. Your words have brought coolness to be feverish body." Sounding his vina, Narada then happily departed.
155. Hearing this conversation of Narada and Uddhava in the Jaimini-bharata, Locana dasa is now wild with bliss.
156. If you do not believe my words, then read it yourself in the 32nd chapter of that book.
Song 5 (Bhatiyari raga - Disha)
Refrain: Lord Gaurachandra is my very life.
157. Playing his vina, Narada continued his journey. Hearing his description of the Lord's glories, and his heart overcome with bliss, again and again he fell.
158. One moment he would lament, another moment he would loudly laugh, another moment he would tremble, another moment he would speak with broken words.
159. Another moment he would loudly call out, another moment he would slap his arms, and another moment he would say, Gaura! Gaura!" and weep. His heart was overcome with ecstatic love.
160. He had no power to forget Lord Gaura's form, a charming form filled with ecstatic love, a glorious form splendid like the sun.
161. His heart overcome with bliss and love, he had no power even to walk. Even so, in the blinking of an eye he arrived at Lord Shiva's abode in Mount Kailasa.
162. Thinking, Soon I will see Lord Shiva", he was filled with bliss. He thought, I will tell him of the plan Lord Krishna described.
163. There are no such blissful words anywhere in the three worlds. He who is the treasure of Vrindavana will appear in the Kali-yuga.
164. The ecstatic spiritual love that Brahma, Shiva, and Ananta beg to attain, the Supreme Personality of Godhead will distribute in the Kali-yuga to even the lowest of sinners.
165. These wonderful words I will tell to Lord Shiva. When he hears them he will be very pleased.
166. By Goddess Katyayani's mercy I will get the dust of Lord Shiva's feet. By the mercy of his feet I will chant the holy names of Lord Hari."
167. Thinking and thinking in this way, Narada came to the gate of Lord Shiva's abode. Seeing him, the bull Nandi, who was like time personified, respectfully stood up.
168. After offering respectful obeisances, Nandi went to the inner palace where Parvati and Shiva stay.
169. He informed his masters that Narada had come and was waiting at the door. With blissful hearts Parvati and Shiva went to greet him.
170. Seeing them, Narada smiled, said, O my masters", and fell at their feet. Narada is a very intelligent devotee.
171. Lord Shiva knew very well the glory of a Vaishnava. Narada, filled with ecstatic love, was very respectful to Lord Shiva.
172. Lord Shiva tightly embraced Narada and made him sit as his own side. Narada happily fell at Goddess Parvati's feet.
173-174. Affectionate like a mother, Goddess Katyayani asked Narada: Dear great sage, please tell us of your auspicious and glorious life. You know everything in the fourteen worlds. Your arrival is auspicious. From where have you come?"
175. Narada replied: You are our mother and father. Your intent is to deliver the worlds. Please hear these auspicious words.
176. A great secret you heard in ancient times you have now forgotten. Grasping your feet, I will now remind you of it.
177. I will tell this story from beginning to end. When you hear it I request that you be kind to me.
178. In ancient times Uddhava asked Lord Krishna: `When You become invisible, what will happen to the earth?
179. `Will any devotees remain on the earth?' Hearing these words, Lord Krishna described the science of yoga.
180. He said: `I am water. I am land. I am the earth. I am the trees. I am the dmeigods and gandaharvas. I amd the yaksas ans raksas.
181. `I am creation and annihilation. I am the life in all living beings. I am everything. How can I become invisible?'
182. Hearing Lord Krishna's words, Uddhava struck his hand to his chest and spoke his heart.
183. He said: `Master, You are everything. That I know. Anything separate from You is only suffering.
184. `With my mouth I have no power to properly describe the great souls who fall down to offer respects to the gluistening moons that are Your toenails.' "
185. In Shrimad-Bhagavatam (11.6.46) Uddhava tells Lord Krishna:
tava mayam jayema hi
My dear Lord, the garlands, scented substances, garments, ornaments, and other such things that have been offered to You may later be used by Your servants. By partaking of these things and eating the remnants of food You have left, we will be able to conquer the illusory energy."*
186. Uddhava said: `By enjoying the remnants of what You have left, this servant of Lord Hari will conquer your illusory energy. Therefore I yearn to honor what You leave as remnants.' 187. When I hear these words Uddhava spoke to Lord Krishna, my heart becomes wild with bliss.
188. For so many days I have walked on the path of devotional service. Still, until today I did not know the importance of honoring the Lord's remnants.
189. By the power of Lord Krishna's remnants, Uddhava became very powerful. In Lord Krishna's presence he honored the Lord's remnants.
190. I never honored the Lord's maha-prasadam in that way. In my heart I thought: `The Lord has cheated me.
191. `Then I devised a plan to please Lord Krishna and thus obtain His maha-prasadam remnants.
192. Filled with the nectar of these thoughts, I went to Vaikuntha. For many days I served Goddess Lakshmi.
193. Pleased, the goddess offered me a boon, She said: `Ask, and I will grant your boon. I vow I will give it.'
194. Hearing her words, I repeated the desire of my heart.
195. Folding my palms and becoming very serious, I said: `For many days a strong desire has stayed in my heart.
196. `Everyone knows that I, Narada, am your servant. Still, I have never tasteed maha-prasadam remnants.
197. `Please give me one handful of the Lord's prasadam. That is the boon I wish. I wish that you please place your auspicious glance upon me.'
198. Hearing these words, Gopddess Lakshmi was very surprised. She shyly said:
199. `The Lord commanded me not to give His remnants to anyone. Still, I will jump over His command and give you some of His remnants.
200. Please wait. After some time I will gather the maha-prasadam and give it to you.'
201. Understanding my situation, the goddess spoke these sweet words.
202. One day, as They were enjoying nectar pastimes, the Lord took the goddess' hand and made her sit by His side.
203. Without permission, and her heart trembling in fear, the goddess smiled and sweetly said:
204. `I bow down before You and speak this rquest: My heart is afraid. I tremble in fear.
205. `O master, please destroy my fear. Please protect Your maidservant. Grasping Your feet, I say: Please listen to these glorious words.'
206. As Lakshmi spoke these frightened words, the Lord smiled with surprise and cast a glance at His Sudarshana-cakra 207. Sudarshana trembled. In a choked voice he said: `My Lord, Goddess Lakshmi is afraid. I don't know why.'
208. Lakshmi said: `It is not Sudarshana's fault. It is Narada's words that make me wither with fear.
209. `Although no one knows it, Narada served me for twelve years. Pleased, I spoke to him this vow:
210. `Ask a boon, and I will grant it. What I say is the truth. It is the truth. O sage, I vow that I will keep my word.
211. `Then Narada asked Your remnants as the boon he wished. How do I have the power to grant that boon? To grant it I must jump over Your command.
212. `Those words I spoke have placed me in great danger. O master, please save Your maidservant. Please destroy this calamity that has fallen upon me.'
213. Hearing these words, the Lord said: `O Lakshmi, please listen. Your words were a great mistake.
214. `Secretly, without My knowledge, you may give My remnants to him.' Hearing the Lord's command, Lakshmi became joyful.
215. After some days Goddess Lakshmi, the mother of the worlds, called for me and gave me that maha-prasadam.
216-217. In this way, by Goddess Lakshmi's mercy, my desire was fulfilled and I tasted the Lord's wonderful maha-
prasadam, prasadam more glorious and effulgent than ten million moons, ten million suns, and ten million Kamadevas. 218. Touching that maha-prasadam, I became hundreds of times more glorious and effulgent. Sounding my vina, I happily came to Mount Kailasa.
219. Seeing me, Lord Shiva asked about me. Smiling, I said: `Today I got something very wonderful.'
220. Seeing my wonderful effulgence, Lord Shiva was surprised. `How did you get a form like that?', He asked.
221. Then I told him the whole story, from beginning to end. Hearing it, Lord Shiva scolded me.
222. He said: `O sage, you attained that rare maha-
prasadam, and you ate it all, and you did not bring any for me!
223. `With great love you came here to see me again. Why did you not bring any of that rare treasure?'
224. Hearing Lord Shiva's words, I became ashamed. I lowered my head. I saw some maha-prasadam still stuck to my fingernail. I placed my finger before Lord Shiva.
225. I happily offered him that single crumb of maha-prasadam. He did not hesitate. At once Lord Shiva placed the maha-prasadam in his mouth. 226. Then saintly Lord Shiva began to joyfully dance. With every step he took, the ground shook.
227. He became wild with bliss. Mount Sumeru trembled. The earth shook. Fear was everywhere.
228. Lord Shiva, the great king of yoga, trembled with ecstatic love. He forgot himself. His heavy steps pushed the earth down to Rasatalaloka.
229. Lord Ananta's hoods now rested on Lord Kurma's back. Sticking His neck out of His shell, Lord Kurma stared at Lord Ananta. 230. The elephants bearing the directions bent their necks. The cauldron of the universe began to crack.
231. Unable to bear Lord Shiva's weight, the earth goddess ran to his city.
232. Folding her palms, she approached Goddess Katyayani and said, Because of the weight of Lord Shiva's dancing I will lose my life.
233. If you wish to save the world, please stop him. I see the whole world is about to fall into chaos.
234. Hearing the earth goddess' anguished words, Goddess Parvati ran to Lord Shiva.
235. Filled with the nectar of ecstatic love, Lord Shiva danced. Speaking harsh words, the goddess broke Lord Shiva's ecstasy.
236. Returning to external consciousness, Lord Shiva became sorrowful. Seeing Goddess Parvati, with a hard heart he said:
237. What have you done? What have you done? O goddess, it is very wrong. You broke my ecstatic trance. Breaking it is like death for me.
238. `But for you I have no enemy in the three worlds. Why did you destroy me bliss?"
239. `Hearing Lord Shiva's anguished words, Goddess Parvati said: `Master, please look at Goddess Earth who now stands before you.
240. `The pressure from your feet pushed her down to Rasatalaloka. The material creation is on the verge of destruction. That is why I spoke harshly.
241. `I committed an offense. O great master, please forgive my offense.' Smiling, Lord Shiva forgave the goddess. 242. Then the goddess humbly asked: `O master, please dispel my doubt.
243. `Every day You dance, rapt in tasting the nectar of love for Lord Krishna. Why did you today push the earth down to Rasatalaloka?
244. `Today your form shines like ten million suns. The material universe cannot bear such brilliant light.
245. Why today did you manifest such wonderful endless bliss? O glorious master, please tell me.'
246. Lord Shiva said: `Please hear the blissful news. Narada Muni gave me some of Lord Narayana's prasadam.
247. `Lord Vishnu's prasadam is very rare. It is difficult to find in the three worlds. It is the nectar touched by the Lord's lips. Even the Vedas do not know the glories of the Lord's prasadam.
248. `I ate the maha-prasadam offered to the Lord. Now my life has borne its fruit. Today is the auspicious moment of my life.
249. `By Narada's mercy I touched the Lord's maha-prasadam.' Lord Shiva thus spoke these auspicious, glorious, nectarean words.
250. Hearing Lord Shiva's words, Goddess Parvati, who is Mahamaya herself, said: `All these days i thought you were a kind and generous person.
251. `Your thinking I was like half your body was only a trick. Your love for me was only a pretense.
252. `Attaining such rare maha-prasadam, you ate it all yourself. You did not give any to me.'
253. Ashamed, Lord Shiva said: `O Parvati, you are not worthy to receive such a treasure.'
254. Hearing these woprds she became furious and said: `I am called by the name Vaishnavi. I also serve Lord Vishnu with devotion.
255-256. `Standing in the assembly of saintly persons I vow that if in His heart Lord Vishnu is merciful to me, then I will give His maha-prasadam to everyone in the three worlds. I vow that even the dogs and jackals will attain that prasadam.'
257. Hearing Goddess Katyayani's vow, Lord Narayana, the master of Vaikuntha, came at once.
258. Thr goddess respectfully stood and then bowed down. Tears in her eyes, she offered prayers to the Lord.
259. Sighing, and her heart overwhelmed, she began to speak." With a joyful heart Locana dasa speaks these words.
Song 6 (Vibhasha raga - Tripadi)
260. Lord Narayana gently said: `Goddess, do not be unhappy. What you wish will happen. By your ropes of maya everyone is blinded. Through you I create the world of birth and death.
261. `You are My first potency. You know the truth of devotional service. You are My personified material energy. I am never outside of you. Still, I say you are outside of me. The mercy of which you spoke I give to you. 262. `The whole world worships Shiva and Gauri, thinking them the same as Me. Shiva and Gauri are My own forms. When you are pleased at heart, you destroy all illusions. You destroy the illusion that you are independent of Me.
263. `I make this vow to you: In the assembly of saintly persons I will freely give you My prasadam remnants. By the sweet fragrance of that maha-prasadam the saints and sages will become free of all material shackles. They will give up their stubbornness in debate.
264. Hearing Lord Narayana's words, Goddess Katyayani said: `If in Your heart You are indeed merciful to me, then You must give me Your prasadam remnants. Then every living entity in the world will eat that prasadam. Everyone in the three worlds will easily attain that prasadam.'
265. Decorated with the jewels of all virtues, Lord Narayana said, `I will keep My vow. I will tell you an ancient secret, a secret that will destroy all fears of the flames of repeated birth and death.
266. `No one knows this secret. When, using Mount Mandara as the churning rod and the serpent Ananta as the rope, the demigods churned the milk ocean, the kalpa-vriksha tree was born from the friction of churning.
267. `The kalpa-vriksha grants every desire anyone many ask, every desire in the heart. Whatever opulence a person requests, it grants. It does not turn its face from any request. 268. `The kalpa-vriksha tree, which is the glorious, effulgent, and beautiful king of trees, comes from the form of Shri Chaitanya. It is My own form. It is the king of mercy. It has no equal.
269. `I will descend to the earth as Shri Chaitanya. I will become a sannyasi. I will enjoy many pastimes. I, the master of the three worlds, will stay on the earth and mercifully preach the truth.
270. `Manifesting a humanlike form, I will preach the sankirtana movement in Kali-yuga. My form will be splendid like gold. I will keep My vow. I will preach the highest spiritual love.
271. `Now I have revealed My heart to you. Please keep that secret hidden in your heart also. In Kali-yuga I will come as Lord Gaura, the best of incarnations, and with My own glories I will deliver the world.' "
272. This conversation of Goddess Katyayani and Lord Vishnu is revealed in the Brahma Purana, Utkala-khanda. King Prataparudra, who is an ocean of transcendental virtues, distributed many copies of this passage,
273. Smiling and smiling, Narada MUni said, Why should you not remember these words in your heart? The Supreme Lord commanded me to announce that He will descend to the earth in the Kali-yuga.
274. Arriving in the Kali-yuga, He will take birth on the earth. Thus the master of all the worlds will take birth in a brahmana family. He will be surrounded by His personal associates."
275. Hearing Narada's words, Goddess Katyayani and Lord Shiva became joyful. Lord Shiva's abode became filleed with bliss. Everyone called out, Hari! Hari!" A great tumult of blissful sounds arose.
276. Sounding his vina, Narada Muni departed. The sound of his vina was sweet like nectar. It was a stream of nectar that filled every ear. It delighted the hearts of the people in the three worlds.
277. Forgeting himself, Narada had no power to walk. His face was red with ecstatic love. Although his forehead was covered with drop after drop of perspiration, he did not feel tired from traveling. In this way he came to the demigod Brahma's abode.
278. Seeing him, Brahma was both very afraid and very
delighted at heart. Brahma rose to greet him. Falling at Brahma's feet, Narada offered obeisances. Brahma picked him up and embraced him.
279. Brahma asked about his welfare. He said, I think your arrival is auspicious. For a long time I have wished to see you. That desire was in my heart. Now I see your glorious face. Now I will proclaim the secret of your good fortune."
280. When the nectar words flow from your mouth and enter my ear, my feverish heart will become cool. Please speak, and I will listen. Please speak of the worlds you visited. Please sing songs glorifying the Supreme Lord. Whom did you see? What did you hear? 281. In this way Brahma spoke. Narada was overcome. His lips trembled. His limbs swayed. Tears streamed from his eyes. His face was red. By seeing this, the bliss at the beginning of his words became doubled.
282. He said: Please hear very wonderful words. You are the creator of the whole material world. From your name teh world brahmanda (the material universe) has come. The different yuga-dharmas (religion for the ages) are appropriate for their respective yugas. In Kali-yuga sin is very powerful.
283. At Dvapara-yuga's end the people become filled with suffering and grief. I thought: `Kali-yuga will soon come. In my heart I will suffer greatly. I will go to the Lord. I will ask Him about it."
284. I will ask Him: `O Lord, please tell me how to deliver the sinful people in the Kali-yuga. In Kali-yuga the brahmanas do not study the Vedas, and everyone is impious. This great doubt stays in my heart.'
285. Hearing my anguished words, the Supreme Lord, who is a jewel of transcendental virtues, said, `Throw all these worries far away from your heart. I will deliver the people of Kali-yuga. I will teach them devotion to Me. I will descend in the Kali-yuga.
286. `The benefits that come from charity, vows, austerities, varnasrama-dharma, and pious deeds all come from chanting Lord Hari's holy names. You will see that Kali-yuga is full of faults. Still, you should write that it has one great virtue: Simply by performing sankirtana of chanting My holy names and glorifying Me the conditioned souls are released from the prison house of repeated birth and death.
287. `Tell this to Shiva, Brahma, and the others. Tell them they should all take birth in the Kali-yuga. Manifesting a form of mercy personified, I will also take birth on the earth. Manifesting My form of Lord Gaura, I will enter the Kali-yuga.' "
Song 7 (Shubha-chanda) (Pahida raga - Disha
Refrain: Glory, glory to the moon of Lord Gauranga, a moon that has risen in Nadiya during the Kali-yuga. Please hear these words: My master is never defeated. His glories fill the three worlds with light. O! O! O! O! Please hear these words: Lord Gaurangacandra will never be defeated.
288. When he heard these words, the nectar sprout of ecstatic love grew in Brahma's heart.
289. Tears streamed down Brahma's cheeks. Overcome with bliss, he placed Narada on his lap.
290. Brahma said: Please hear, O great sage. By your mercy my heart is now filled with bliss.
291. The people are shackled by maya. They are blind with desire for material sense objects. By your mercy they can become free of those shackles.
292. Your only concern is to deliver the people. I will tell something that happened to me.
293. Sanaka and my other saintly sons approached me and aspoke.
294. They said to me: `You are the Supreme Lord's dear son. We have some questions. Please answer them.
295. `The Supreme Lord is inconceivable, eternal, spiritual, eternally blissful, the most subtle, the master of all masters, all-pervading, and religion personified.
296. `He is limitless, free from the material modes, untouched by matter, and without any material form. No intelligence can find His beginning, middle, or end.
297. `Still the Lord takes birth on the earth. Although He is unborn, He is born and dies according to the laws of matter.
298. `In Vrindavana forest He enjoys the rasa dance with the gopis. He acts as if He were a lusty conditioned soul eager to taste the nectar of sexual pleasures.
299. `He is the Supersoul present in all living entities, male or female. Why, unsatisfied with that role, does He become the lover of young girls?
300. `This great doubt stays in our hearts. O Brahma, please describe to us the truth. Please sweep this rubbish doubt from our hearts.'
301. Hearing this doubt expressed by Sanaka and the sages, I felt great wonder in my heart.
302. My heart became anxious, and sadness marked my face. The Supreme Lord's actions were beyond my understanding.
303. The Supreme Lord's actions lie on the father shore of the ocean of Vedanta. Who understands them? Hundreds and hundreds of Brahma's know as little as I.
304. As I expressed these thoughts to them, the Supreme Lord, manifesting the form of a swan, came before me.
305. In that form the Lord explained to me the four nutshell verses of Shrimad-Bhagavatam. Then I gave that explanation to the sages.
306. The sages became satisfied and the doubt in their hearts went to its destruction.
307. To me these four nutshell verses are like a great reservoir of nectar. No one in this material universe truly understands them.
308. Writing the Mahabharata and the Puranas, Vyasa stayed for many days at Naimisharanya.
309. Even arfter he had written these books the sadness in his heart would not disperse.
310. In the middle of the forest Vyasa became distraught. When the Supreme Lord became aware of all this, com,passion took birth in His heart.
311. Summoning me, the Supreme Lord gave me the four nutshell verses and said to me: `Take the four nutshell verses and go to Vyasa. 312. `Vyasa does not understand the truth of My activities. Following these four nutshell verses He should write Shrimad-Bhagavatam.
313. `You then explain the Shrimad-Bhagavatam to Narada. Goddess Sarasvati will speak using his tnogue.'
314. Now I will tell you something. Please listen, O best of the sages. Yuga after yuga please be merciful to all living entities.
315. You are a great soul whose only interest is the deliverance of other souls. Shrimad-Bhagavatam is a sublime scripture. There is no treasure like it.
316. Shrimad-Bhagavatam is perfectly spiritual. Matter never touches it. Fools do not understand this truth.
317. In Shrimad-Bhagavatam, at the time of Garga MUni's performing Lord Krishna's name-giving ceremony, the Lord Krishna's incarnations are described. 318. In that passage ofShrimad-Bhagavatam Garga MUni describes the Lord's incarnations in the four yugas. He says (Shrimad-Bhagavatam 10.8.13):
319. asan varnas trayo hy asya
grihnato 'nu - yugam tanuh
shuklo raktas tatha pita
idanim krishnatam gatah
`Your son Krishna appears as an incarnation in every millennium. In the past He assumed three different colors - white, red, and yellow - and now He has appeared in a blackish color.'*
320. In Satya-yuga the Lord appeared in a white color. In Treta-yuga His form was red and His name Yajna.
321. As Nanda's son He has a black color. That leaves only the color yellow remaining.
322. The sequence of the descriptions in this verse leaves some readers in doubt. They think there are four yugas and the Lord's incarnations have only three colors. 323. Actually this verse describes four colors. The colors are white, red, yellow, and black. These colors are manifested in the course of the four yugas. They are not all manifest in one yuga.
324. now we will consider this question: In what yuga does Lord Gaura manifest? This doubt is not quickly resolved with only a few words.
325. Now I will explain this truth. Please listen. Even fools will be able to understand the truth from my words.
326. In Shrimad-Bhagavatam's Eleventh Canto 11.5.19) Maharaja Nimi asks Karabhajana Muni:
327. kasmin kale sa bhagavan
kim varnah kidrishaih nribhih
namna va kena vidhina
pujyate tad ihocyatam
What colors does the Supreme Personality of Godhead assume in the different yugas? What are His names? By what process and by what kind of people is He worshiped. Please describe all this.' "
328. This verse says: What colors does the Supreme Personality of Godhead manifest in the different yugas? What are His names in the different yugas? 329. By what religious process do what kind of people worship Him in the different yugas? By what actions is He satisfied?
330. To these questions Karabhajana Muni replied (Shrimad-Bhagavatam 11.5.20-22):
kritam treta dvaparam ca
kalir ity eshu keshavah
`In the Satya, Treta, Dvapara, and Kali yugas Lord Krishna manifests in different forms with different colors and He is worshiped in different ways.
331. krite shuklas catur-bahur
`In Satya-yuga the Lord appeared in a body colored white with four arms and matted hair. He wore tree bark and bore a black antelope skin. He wore a sacred thread and a garland of rudraksha beads. He carried a rod and a waterpot, and He was a brahmacari.'*
332. manushyas tu tada shanta
nirvairah suhrdah samah
yajanti tapasa devam
shamena ca damena ca
`In that yuga the peaceful, non-envious, friendly, equipoised people worship the Lord by controlling their minds and senses.'
333. In these verses Karabhajana Muni tells Maharaja Nimi: Please listen carefully. How is the Lord worshiped in the Satya-yuga and the other yugas? 334. In the Satya-yuga the Lord has a white complexion and His name is Hamsa. He has four arms, matted hair, and tree-bark garments. His process of religion is the performance of austerities.
335. He has a danda, kamandalu, black deerskin, and sacred thread. The people then are by nature peaceful, non-envious, and equipoised.
336. The Lord's incarnation in the Treta-yuga is described in these words of Shrimad-Bhagavatam (11.5.24-25):
tretayam rakta-varno 'sau
In Treta-yuga the Lord appeared in a body that had a reddish hue and four arms. There were three distinctive lines on His abdomen, and His hair was golden. His form manifested the Vedic knowledge, and He bore the symbols of a sacrificial spoon, ladle, and so on.'*
337. tam tada manuja devam
yajanti vidyaya trayya
With the knowledge of the three Vedas the religious and spiritual people in that yuga perform yajnas to worship the Supreme Personality of Godhead, who contains within Himself all the demigods.
338. These verses mean: In the Treta-yuga the Lord has a red color, four arms, and a triple belt. He carries a sruk and srava in His hands.
339. The hair on His head is the color of molten gold. The Supreme Lord, within whom all the demigods are manifest, is worshiped by performance of yajna.
340. The Lord is the three vedas personified. Therefore His name is Yajna. The people who know the truth of religion worship Him according to the religious rules described in the Vedas.
341. The Lord's incarnation in the Dvapara-yuga is described in these words of Shrimad-Bhagavatam (11.5.27, 28, and 31):
dvapare bhagavan shyamah
shrivatsadibhir ankaish ca
`In the Dvapara-yuga the Personality of Godhead appears in a blackish hue. He is dressed in yellow, He holds His own weapons, and He is decorated with the Kaustubha jewel and marks of Shrivatsa. That is how His symptoms are described.'*
342. tam tada purusham martya
param jijnasavo nripa
`O king, following the Vedas and Tantras, persons who yearn to know the Supreme worship Him as a king in the Dvapara-yuga.
343. iti dvapara urv-isha
kalav api tatha shrinu
`O king, in this way the people in Dvapara-yuga glorify the Supreme Personality of Godhead. Following the various Tantras, the people in Kali-yuga also glorify the Lord in that way.' "
344. These verses mean: In Dvapara-yuga the Supreme Personality of Godhead has a black color. He has the Shrivatsa and Kaustubha jewel. Yellow garments are on His body.
345. Bearing the qualities of a king of kings, He is glorious. Persons who are fortunate worship Him according to the rules on the Vedas and Tantras.
346. In every yuga the Supreme Lord appears as a yuga-
avatara. The Lord thus induces the people of each yuga to follow the appropriate yuga-dharma.
347.The three yugas Satya, Treta, and Dvapara have already passed. In these yugas the Lord's color was first white, then red, and then black. 348. The sage explained that the Lord manifested these three colors in these three yugas. Please carefully hear these words of Shrimad-Bhagavatam (11.5.32):
349. krishna-varnam tvishakrishnam
yajanti hi su-medhasah
In the age of Kali, intelligent persons perform congregation chanting to worship the incarnation of Godhead who constantly sings the name of Krishna. Although His complexion is not blackish, He is Krishna Himself. He is accompanied by His associates, servants, weapons, and confidential companions.' "*
350. In this verse of Shrimad-Bhagavatam the word krishna-varna" means the two syllable Krishna". 351. Now everyone please hear the explanation of the word akrishnam", which means of light color". This word refers to Lord Gaura.
352. The word sangopangastra-parshadam" means Accompanied by His associates, the Lord descends to this world".
353. Here the word anga" refers to Lord Balarama, and the word upanga" refers to the Lord's ornaments.
354. The word astra" refers to the Lord's Sudarshana-cakra and other weapons. The word parshadam" refers to Prahlada, Narada, and all the other personal associates of the Lord.
355. The devotees who were the Lord's servants and maidservants when He previously descended to the material world again become His angas and upangas when He descends as Lord Gaura.
356. Someone will describe all these great Vaishnavas and tell what there names are in Lord Krishna's pastimes.
357. The common people will not undwerstand these descriptions. How will the lowly people believe them?
358. For this reason Karabhajana Muni said only intelligent people (sumedhasah) will understand.
359. Sankirtana (congregational chanting of the Lord's holy names) is the yuga-dharma in Kali-yuga. Intelligent people will delight in sankirtana.
360. Now I will explain to you what the ordinary people do not understand: Why in Shrimad-Bhagavatam 10.8.13 only three colors are given to describe the Lord's incarnations in the four yugas.
361. In Shrimad-Bhagavatam 11.5.32 the word Krishna-
varnam" may mean either He whose color is black" or He whose name is Krishna". A different color is not seen in these two (Dvapara and Kali) yugas.
362. In the two yugas Dvapara and Kali the Lord's incarnation has the same color. The Lord's incarnations have the same color in these two yugas. That is the heart of the explanation.
363. In Satya and Treta yugas the Lord's ioncarnations have a red and whote color respectively. In Dvapara and Kali yugas the Lord's incarnations both have the same color.
364. Why is the sequence of colors broken in Garga Muni's description? The sequence is not broken. Please very happilyhear my explanation.
365. This description refers to past, present, and future. The four yugas here fit into these three phases of time.
366. In this verse of Shrimad-Bhagavatam the Satya and Treta yugas are in the past, and the Dvapara-yuga is in the present. In Dvapara-yuga Lord Krishna's incarnation bears the name Krishna.
367. By speaking the word idanim" (now) in this verse garga Muni refers to the near future.
368. I say that the use of the present here is truly intended to refer to the near future.
369. Sanskrit panditas agree that the present may be unsed to refer to the near future. The near future is then hinted in this verse.
370. In this verse Garga Muni uses the word tatha" (in that way). Why, after describing the Lord's white and red incarnations, does Garga Muni then use the word tatha".
371. The word tatha" is used here to mean: As (yatha) the Lord previously appeared in white and red incarnations, in the same way (tatha) Lord Krishna will appear in a yellow color in Kali-yuga.
372. At the present, in the Dvapara-yuga, the Lord has appeared in a black color. In this way Garga Muni's description of the Lord's incarnations in the four yugas makes reference to the three phases of time.
373. If someone does not accept my explanation then he must say why Shrimad-Bhagavatam uses the word tatha" in this verse.
374. I will now explain all this. Please hear my words. I, Locana dasa, will explain. Please do not ignore my words.
375. Please hear another wonderful explanation of this verse. This explanation is the most conclusive evidence.
376. Here someone may lodge a surprising protest. He may claim that because He is a yuga-avatara, Lord Krishna cannot be the original Supreme Personality of Godhead, the source of all incarnations.
377. In truth it is said in Shrimad-Bhagavatam that the other yuga-avatara are all pleanry portions (amsa) or portions opf the plenary portions of Lord Krishna, and Lord Krishna Himself is the original Supreme Personality of Godhead.
378. This explanation is found in these words of Shrimad-
ete camsha-kalah pumsah
krishnas tu bhagavan svayam
mridayanti yuge yuge
`All the above-mentioned incarnations are either plenary portuions or portions of the plenary portions of thse Lord, but Lord Shri Krishna is the original Personality of Godhead. All of Them appear on planets whenever there is a disturbance created by the atheists. The Lord incarnates to protect the theists.'*
379. Why do I say that Lord Krishna is a yuga-avatara? Why does Shrimad-Bhagavatam refer to Him as a yuga-avatara?
380. Lord Krishna, the moon of Vrindavana, is not a mere yuga-
avatara. Rather He is the prefect and complete original Supreme Personality of Godhead. That Shrimad-Bhagavatam says.
381. Now I will explain why Lord Krishna is the original Supreme Personality of Godhead. Please do not mock me. Listen carefully.
382. In Shrimad-Bhagavatam (10.8.13) it is said:
asan varnas trayo hy asya
grihnato 'nu - yugam tanuh
shuklo raktas tatha pita
idanim krishnatam gatah
`Your son Krishna appears as an incarnation in every millennium. In the past He assumed three different colors - white, red, and yellow - and now He has appeared in a blackish color.'*
383. In this verse Garga Muni speaks very profound truths. How can I explain those truths? I am only a fool.
384. If one is intelligent he becomes a devotee of the Lord. Only intelligent people can understand the truths given in Shrimad-Bhagavatam.
385. Garga MUni explained that in each of the four yugas the Lord appears in incarnations of four different colors. In discussing these different yugas Garga Muni refers to the three phases of time: past, present, and future.
386. Thus in this verse Vyasa describes the four yugas according to the three phases of time.
387. He says that in the four yugas: Satya, Treta, Dvapara, and Kali, the Lord descends as avataras that are white, red, yellow, and black.
388. The four yugas are all mentioned here, but only three of the yuga-avataras are mentioned in this verse.
389. The intention here is that as there are four yugas, so there are also four yuga-avataras.
390. Thus it may be seen thast in this verse the sequence of the avataras is interrupted. The truth is that by speaking the word tatha" (in the same way) Garga Muni hints at the appearance of the Lord's avatara in the future.
391. Who are the yuga-avataras? They are described as having four colors. Who is the avatar.i (the origin of the avataras)? That we must consider.
392. Lord Krishna, who descended to the earth and took birth in the Yadu dynasty, is the avatari. All the other avataras are plenary portions of Him.
393. Someone may doubt: Why make a distinction between the avatara and the source of avataras? There are two reasons for that:
394. The avataras that appear in the four yugas are all pleanry portions (amsha) of the original Supreme Personality of Godhead. They appear in certain specific colors in each yuga, one after the other.
395. Their purpose is to establish religion and destroy irreligion. In every yuga these plenary portions (amsha) of the Supreme Lord descend as avataras.
396. However, in Dvapara-yuga Lord Hari descended in His original form. He is the crest jewel of all avataras. He is above them all.
397. The meaning of Garga Muni's words is that generally in the Dvapara-yuga the incarnation of the Lord is dark and handsaome like Krishna, but He is not the original form of Lord Krishna Himself.
398. Generally in the Dvapara-yuga the avatara is dark like Lord Krishna, and bears the name Krishna, but He is only a plenary portion of Krishna. Now please hear the heart of this matter.
399. When Lord Krishna Himself personally descends in the Dvapara-yuga, in the following Kali-yuga Lord Gaurachandra makes His appearance. These two Lords who appear in the Dvapara and Kali yugas are not different. 400. Although They descend in two different yugas, They are the same. Vyasa explains this.
401. In the Brihat-sahasra-nama-stotra it is said:
tam aradhya tatha shambho
grahishyami varam sada
dvaparadau yuge bhutva
svagamaih kalpitais tvam ca
janan mad-vimukhan kuru
mam ca gopaya yena syat
In Kali-yuga, mislead the people in general by propounding imaginary meanings of the Vedas to bewilder them."*
402. Now I will tell you something else. Please listen. In Bhagavad-gita (4.8) these words came from Lord Krishna's mouth:
403. paritranaya sadhunam
vinashaya ca dushkritam
sambhavami yuge yuge
`In order to deliver the pious and annihilate the miscreants, as well as to re-establish the principles of religion, I advent Myself millennium after millennium.'*
404 and 405. These words mean: In order to protect the pious, establish religion, and destroy impiety, I take birth in one yuga and then in another yuga. Thus in two yugas I personally take birth.
406. Here I speak first of one yuga and then of another yuga. I speak the word yuga as a noun, a noun modified by an adjective.
407. When I speak it the word yuga is preceded by an adjective. The first yuga is the Dvapara-yuga, and the second yuga is the Kali-yuga.
408. Why do you say that the words yuge yuge" in this verse of Bhagavad-gita refers to the four yugas? The Krishna-avatara is the perfect and complete original Supreme Personality of Godhead. Why do you say He is only a plenary portion (amsha) of the Supreme Lord?
409. In other places in the scriptures the four yugas are mentioned. Please be attentive and I will quote such a reference.
410. In Bhagavad-gita (4.7) Lord Krishna delcares:
yada yada hi dharmasya
glanir bhavati bharata
tadatmanam srijamy aham
Whenever and wherever there is a decline in religious practice, O descendant of Bharata, and a predmonent rise in irreligion - at that time I descend Myself.'*
411. In this verse the Supreme Lord says: At whatever time, and in whatever yuga, religion is destroyed and irreligion arises, at that time I take birth.
412. At that time I appear Myself. Manifesting My plenary portion (amsha), I thus descend in every uuga.
413. Now I will tell you one thing. Please hear My words. I, Locana dasa will explain this. Please do not disregard my words.
414. Here the Supreme Lord says: I, Lord Krishna, take birth as Lord Gaura in Kali-yuga. Please crush to death any doubts you may have about this.
415. Please hear the wonderful secret truth of the Kali-
yuga. In the Kali-yuga the religion of sankirtana (congregational chanting of Lord Krishna's holy names) will deliver the entire world.
416-417. Sankirtana brings the same results attained by charity, vows, austerity, yajnas, study, sense-control, and following rules that restrict one's contact with sense objects and material desires. This truth I have heard in the Sruti-sastra. Still, the people are all shacked by maya, have all become blinded, have all become worthless like heaps of ashes, for they do not know the glories of the Supreme Lord's holy names and qualities.
418. Bound by the ropes of karma and wandering from place to place, the conditioned souls will not engage in renunciation. Neither will they perform pious deeds.
419. At the time of cosmic annihilation the ropes of karma that bind them are cut. Only when the ropes of karma are cut can they ask about Lord Krishna.
420. Therefore sankirtana is the yuga-dharma (religion of thew age) for Kali-yuga. Still, people who have committed horrible sins cannot understand this secret truth.
421. How can the yuga-dharma, which is sankirtana, be destroyed? Who, but the Lord Himself, has the power to establish religion?
422. In the Bhagavad-gita the Supreme Lord promises that He will descend to this world and protect religion.
423. He says (Bhagavad-gita 4.8):
vinashaya ca dushkritam
sambhavami yuge yuge
`In order to deliver the pious and annihilate the miscreants, as well as to re-establish the principles of religion, I advent Myself millennium after millennium.'*
424. In this verse the Lord says: To protect the devotees, destroy irreligion, and establish religion, I appear in every yuga.
425. In Kali-yuga the yuga-dharma is sankirtana. In Kali-
yuga the Lord's avatara is Lord Gaura. There is no other.
426. After Lord Brahma had spoken these words, the sages joyfully embraced each other. Brahma was so overcomne with bliss he did not even know who he was.
427. Then he spoke one more truth about Lord Gaura's glories. His every sense filled with bliss, he said:
428. Please hear another explanation. In the Sahasra-nama-
stotra, in the description of two of the Lord's holy names, it is said (Mahabharata, Shanti-parva):
429. suvarna-varno hemango
sannyasa-kric chamah shanto
In His early pastimes He appears as a householder with a golden complexion. His linbs are beautiful, and His body, smeared with the pulp of sandalwood, seems like molten gold. In His later pastimes He accepts the sannyasa order, and He is equipoised and peaceful. He is the highest abode of peace and devotion, for He silences the impersonalist non-devotees.'*
430. This verse means: Lord Gaura's body is effulgent like gold. He accepts sannyasa and He is very noble-hearted. 431. Please hear the following words from the Bhavishya Purana, where three times the Lord vows that He will take birth in Kali-yuga. 432. In that verse of the Bhavishya Pyrana, the Supreme Lord declares:
ajayadhvam na samshayah
`I shall take birth. I shall take birth. I shall take birth. Of this there is no doubt. In the age of Kali, when the sankirtana movement is inaugurated, I shall descend as the son of Shaci-devi.'*
433. Please carefully hear some other wonderful explanations. With an attentive heart please try to understand the secret of the yuga-dharma in Kali-yuga.
434. In Kali-yuga everyone is sinful. Irreligion is manifest and religion is diminished.
435. Hari-nama-sankirtana (chanting Lord Krishna's holy names) is the yuga-dharma in that age. In truth, chanting Lord Krishna's holy names is the essence of all religion.
436. By once chanting the Lord's holy name one easily attains the results of charity, vows, austerity, yajna, jnana, and japa, and one also easily attains liberation.
437. A hedonist addicted to sense pleasures may give some attention to chanting the holy names. At first he may remain a hedonist, but in the end he will become rapt in devotion to Lord Krishna.
438. If he chants the glories of Lord Krishna, a faithful person will spurn all material pleasures and run to Lord Krishna.
439. Thus chanting Lord Krishna's names and glories is the true religion in the sinful Kali-yuga.
440. In this way I have described the nature of Kali-yuga and its yuga-dharma. This is the highest religion in the sinful age of Kali.
441. If someone say that the sins in Kali-yuga are very difficult to cut into pieces, then I say that one should simply bring out the great sword of sankirtana.
442. Why do the people who live in the Satya-yuga and other yugas pray to take birth in Kali-yuga? Because in Kali-yuga the people are very devoted to chanting Lord Hari's holy names.
443. In Shrimad-Bhagavatam (11.5.38) it is said:
kritadishu praja rajan
kalav icchanti sambhavam
kalau khalu bhavishyanti
O king, the residents of Satya-yuga and the other yugas yearn to take birth in Kali-yuga, for in Kali-yuga there will be many devotees of Lord Narayana.'
444. Why, when He descended to this world with all His powers, did Lord Krishna not give prema-bhakti (loving devotional service) to even the sinners?
445. Please tell me: What incarnatioon in what yuga would be so merciful that He would give ecstatic spiritual love (prema) even to condition souls that do not engage in devotional service?
446. Religion, pious deeds, and holy places destroy sins. Do you know anything like them?
447. Some great souls know that Kali-yuga is the best of all yugas, for within it is the religion of sankirtana. In Kali-yuga there is no other religion.
448. In this way Brahma spoke. Hearing these words, Narada struck his vina and made a shower of sweet sounds.
449. Hearing this nectar conversation of Brahma and Narada, Locana dasa finds that his heart is filled with bliss.
Song 8 (Sindhuda raga)
450. Narada said: Brahma, what can I say? You have already spoken what was in my heart.
451-453. Shacked by past karma, for how many kalpas does the conditioned soul wander and wander in this world? If somehow such a person renders a small service to a Vaishnava and if somehow he hears from that Vaishnava the confidential truths of spiritual life, and if then he carefully strivwes to attain spiritual perfection, then the shackles of maya that bind him will be opened. Then he will become devoted to Lord Krishna. Then he will not even lift a finger to grasp any of the four kinds of liberation that begin with salokya-mukti.
454. Who is qualified to attain the ecstatic love the gopis felt? Of that I will talk.
455. The Supreme Lord is conquered by that love, which is superficially like the love of a woman for her paramour.
456. Who can describe that love? He so admired their virtues that Uddhava prayed to become a bush or a creeper.
457. In Shrimad-Bhagavatam (10.47.61) he said:
asam aho carana-renu-jusham aham syam
vrindavane kim api gulma-lataushadhinam
ya dustyajam svajanam arya patham ca hitva
bhejur mukunda-padavim shrutibhir vimrigyam
The gopis of Vrindavana have given up the association of their husbands, sons, and other family members, who are very difficult to give up, and they have forsaken the path of chastity to take shelter at the ltous feet of Mukunda, Krishna, which one should search for by Vedic knowledge. Oh, let me be fortunate enough to be one of the bushes, creepers, or herbs in Vrindavana, because the gopis trample them and bless them with the dust of their lotus feet."*
458-461. The same Supreme Personality of Godhead on whose feet Brahma and Shiva meditate, whom the kings of the yugis and the kings of the sages seek but cannot find, whose feet the many goddesses of fortune serve, the sweet glory of whose feet words have no power to describe, whose great glories the four Vedas always sing, whose limitless glories have no end, who rests on the bed that is Lord Ananta Shesha, that same Lord has become a servant of the gopis.
462. How many hundreds and hundreds of devotees are like them, are followers of the gopis and have also conquered Lord Krishna and brought Him under their control?
463. Who is Lord Krishna? He is the all-pervading Supreme Personality of Godhead. Who are the gopis? They are girls overcome with deep love for Krishna, girls who ran into the forest to meet Krishna.
464. I wish to describe these truths of devotional service. The greatest secrets are the secrets of pure devotional service. There are no other great secrets.
465. In Kali-yuga the Supreme Personality of Godhead will preach these secrets of pure devotional service, secrest even Goddess Lakshmi and Lord Ananta Shesha have never heard.
466. O Brahma, please tell everyone in your assembly to take birth, by their plenary portions (amsha), in the Kali-yuga.
467. Speaking these words, the great sage Narada, his heart filled with bliss, departed. Locana dasa speaks these words.
Song 9 (Mallara raga - Tripadi)
468. Narada Muni departed. He sounded his vina. The music was sweet and auspicious. It was like a shower of nectar on the hearts of the world's people. It was a wonderful of bliss in the three worlds. 469. Plunged in bliss, Narada sang: Jaya! Jaya! Haribol!" These words of His fell on the three worlds: Accompanied by His weapons and associates, Lord Gaura will happily take birth in the Kali-yuga.
470. Please be merciful to me. Please cast your glance on me. Please sprinkle your nectar words on my body. Jaya! Jaya Jagannatha! Accompanied by His devotees, the master of the universes will preach the glories of devotional service offered to Him.
471. The people of Kali-yuga are fortunate, fortunate. The people are all fortunate. The Supreme Lord will descend to the earth in the place called Nadiya. Fortunate is Purandara Mishra, in whose home Lord Gauraraja will take birth.
472. Aha! Accompanied by His devotees, Lord Gaura will sing of Lord Krishna's glories. The mridangas, conchshells, and karatalas will all sound. A nectar shower of ecstatic spiritual love will fall on the fourteen worlds. Lord Gaura will preach the glories of glorifying Lord Krishna.
473. Lord Gaura will personally distribute the power to taste the sweet nectar rasas of Vrindavana. He will give it to the demigods, nagas, and human beings, including even the candalas. He will give it to everyone.
474. Please hear the blissful, blissful, auspicious, auspicious glories of the Lord. Now the great treasure of Vrindavana is openly manifest. The master of all the worlds has taken birth on the earth." Now Locana dasa is delirious with bliss.
Song 10 (Varadi raga)
Refrain: O my master! O my very life! Lord Gaurachandra has come to this world!
475. Hearing these words, Indra, Candra, the demigods, and the kings of yogis and sages all danced with bliss.
476. Filled with bliss, Narada continued his travels. He saw that the people were like dead trees now alive with a host of new sprouts.
477. Returning unannounced to earth, he saw the people's religious practices were in chaos. 478. Everyone had turned away from charity, vows, and austerities. With their bodies, words, and hearts they worshiped only their wives.
479. Seeing all this, Narada decided: This is the Kali-yuga. There is no doubt of that.
480. My announcement fell on the three worlds. Now the Kali-yuga has come."
481. Narada sat down and became rapt in thought. Suddenly from the sky a divine voice said:
482. I am Lord Jagannatha. In My spiritual form of wood I reside by the ocean's shore in Nilacala to deliver the people.
483. You do not remember what happened before. I promised I would keep Goddess Katyayani's vow.
484. Go. Go, O king of the sages, to Jagannatha Puri. Obey Lord Jagannatha's command."
485. His heart filled with bliss, Narada traveled there. The sound rising from his vina cooled the feverish people of the world.
486. With great love calling out, O! O Jagannatha!", he ran to Jagannatha Puri. There he gazed at the graceful moonlike face of Lord Jagannatha, the ruler of the three worlds.
487. Lord Jagannatha is the resting place of all divine incarnations. His blissful face is the abode of all nectar and all gracefulness.
488. Narada fell at Lord Jagannatha's feet. Folding his hands, he said: O Lord Jagannatha, please be merciful. Now the age of Kali has come.
489. Now everyone has fallen into a host of horrible sins. Everyone is devoted only to their bellies and genitals. They are all bewildered with great lamentations."
490. Hearing these words, Lord Jagannatha smiled and spoke. Touching Narada's hand, in that secluded place the Lord said: 491. I will tell you a great secret. By My command you should now go to the spiritual world of Goloka."
Song 11 (Pahida raga - Tripadi chanda)
492. Above Vaikuntha is the world of Goloka, where Shri Gaurasundara is king. In that place are Rukmini and a host of women. There Lord Hari is the only male. Everyone there is full of bliss.
493. There Radha and Rukmini are the two queens. The other women are Their expansions. Following hundreds and hundereds of branches of devotion, these personified potencies engage in devotional service.
494. Satyabhama is also a queen there. Her beauty and virtues have no peer. She has the greatest intelligence and sweetness. Her playfulness, beauty, artistic talent, and good fortune are glorious. She is the most beautiful abnd charming girl in the three worlds.
495. In that realm are singing and music and the rhythms of drums. In that realm are the spiritual vibrations of the Vedas including the fifth Veda. In that realm sublime intelligence is everywhere present.
496. In that realm are many expansions of the supreme Lord and many hosts of exalted Vaishnavas. That nectar city bears the name Ranga-puri. Why has the power to describe the glory of that realm? Having only a single mouth, I have no power to describe it.
497. In that realm, in Vrindavana forest, Lord Krishna enjoys the rasa dance with Shri Radha and a host of gopis. In that realm, in Dvaraka City, many women, the followers and servants of Queen Rukmini, taste the nectar of ecstatic spiritual love.
498. No one there lacks devotion. Everyone there always sings the glories of the Lord. Although they are all free and independent, everyone there voluntarily submits to the Lord's will. Everyone there is liberated. Still, they humbly engage in devotional service as if they were conditioned souls in the world of matter.
499. The four kinds of liberation, which begin with salokya-
mukli, are all potencies of Vaikuntha's master. The master of Vaikuntha is never conquered by persons who have no devotion. He posseses all opuelnces. He is no fallen and lowly. He is conquered only by pure devotion.
500. Sugar has no power to tasste its own sweetness. Only others can taste it. Liberation is an obstacle on the path of devotional service. Loving devotional service is the highest attainment.
501. This city is beyond the jurisdiction of the demigod Brahma. It is My home. Out of compassion Shri Chaitanya, the master of all, will come here. His form will be tall and fair. When you see Him the troubles in your heart will perish. 502. I Myself will be the Shri Chaitanya you will see. I will preach the chanting of My own glories. I will destroy everyopne's sufferings. I will preach the bliss of ecstatic spiritual love. I will deliver the people of Kali-yuga."
503. Hearing these wonderful words, Narada Muni departed. He thought, Now I will see the world of Goloka, a world higher than Vaikuntha, a world beyond what the Vedas can see, a world whose praises are sung in all the worlds.
504. The secret truths I heard from the devotees about liberation, what is beyond liberation, and what is neither known nor manifest to the Vedas and the material world, today I will see directly."
505. Filled with love, Narada flew to the spiritual world. Hearing the sound of his vina, the residents of Vaikuntha became joyful. Filled with bliss, and singing auspicious songs glorifying the Supreme Lord, Narada arrived at the agte of Vaikuntha.
506. Surrounded by His associates, Lord Narayana, the master of Vaikuntha saw Narada and offered him a seat on a jewel throne. Falling at the Lord's feet, Narada offered respectful obeisances. The Lord picked hiom up and embraced him.
507. Smiling and smiling, Lord Narayana asaid: What is in your heart? O great sage, please tell. I will grant whatever wish is in your heart. What you do not know I will reveal."
508. Folding his palms, Narada Muni said: You are the Supersoul present in every heart. What need I explain to You? What in Your spiritual form of wood You described to me I will soon see with my own eyes."
509. Then Lord Narayana, who is decorated with the jewels of all virtues, said: The form I secretly deascribed to you is My original form. Maya is that form's shadow. Hundreds and hundreds of avatarasa come from that form. Worship of that form is the noblest endeavor.
510. I am a plenary expansion of that form. I am present everywhere. I am Lord Vishnu from whom everything has come. I am everything of everything. Goddess Laksmi is My follower. The four kinds of liberation also follow Me. What I tell you is the truth.
511. I, Lord Vishnu, am His plenary expansion. Goddess Lakshmi is His potency of opulence. This Vaikuntha realm is the plenary expansion of His original Vaikuntha realm. The liberation here is only a shadow of the liberation in His realm. There pure devotional service is present everywhere. Lord Narayana serves Him, the master of that Vaikuntha.
512. In His realm Shri Radha is the only potency. Her form is filled with ecstatic spiritual love. She brings the Supreme Personality of Godhead under Her crontrol. His realm is one of the Vaikuntha worlds. It is called Maha-Vaikuntha. It is three-quarters of all existence.
513. What I say is the truth. Lord Gaura-Hari is beyond the touch of maya. He is a kalp-avrksa tree of compassion. O sage, go to Him. Go. Go to Mahaprabhu's place. He is the shiksha-guru (teacher) of all the worlds."
514. Sounding his vina and singing soungs glorifying Lord Hari, Narada, the king of the kings of the sages, departed. His limbs trembled in ecstasy. From head to foot the hairs of his body stood erect. Tears of spiritual love streamed from his eyes.
515. He became wild with ecstatic love. One moment he was filled with wonder. Another moment he called out: Gauranga!" Another moment he stumbled. Another moment he fell backwards. Another moment he wept. Another moment he eagerly ran.
516. Suddenly a breeze blew upon him, a breeze that brought coolness to his whole body. Then came an effulgence glorious like ten million moons. Then he smelled the fragrance of the Supreme Lord's graceful lotus feet. Then Narada's whole body was overwhelmed with ecstasy. Then he gazed on a person more glorious than Kamadeva.
517. Many Kamadevas served that person. No one there saw Him without feeling great love. They did not know whether it was day or night. They did not see Narada as different from them. Everyone there was filled with bliss and free of grief.
518. Their walking was playful dancing. Their words were graceful songs. Their eyes were drawn to the Lord. No limb of their bodies was not filled with bliss. No one of them eas lacking in ecstatic spiritual love. Their bodies were made of nectar.
519. Every body was made of knowledge and bliss. The ground was made of cintamani jewels. Every tree was a a kalpa-vriksha tree. Every cow was a kamadhenu cow. This was the realm where Uddhava and other great devotees yearn to become a bush or a vine.
520. Every tree there was a kalpa-vriksha tree. In that realm was a peerless jewel platform. On a golden throne there Lord Gauranga Raya, with a smile sweeter than nectar, sat.
521. The Lord's left big toe touched an auspicious waterpot near the throne. A jewel lamp shone like the sun. If filled that whole realm with light.
522. Radhika was on the Lord's right. Her followers were at Her side. In their hands were jewel waterpots. Rukmini was on the Lord's left. Her friends were at her side. In their hands were gold waterpots with jewel water.
523. Nagnajita placed a waterpot in Mitravinda's hand. Mitravinda placed it in Sulakshana's hand. Sulakshana placed it in Rukmini's hand. From that pot Queen Rukmini poured celestial Ganga water on Lord Gauranga's head. In this way the Lord's abhisheka (ritual bathing) was performed.
524. Tilottama placed a waterpot in Madhupriya's hand. Madhupriya placed it in Candramukhi's hand. Candramukhi placed in Radhika's hand. From that pot Queen Radhika poured celestial Ganga water on the Lord Gauranga's head. In this way the Lord's abhisheka (ritual bathing) was again performed.
525. In her hands Satyabhama brought splendid scents, garlands, garments, and ornaments and placed them in the hands of her maidservants Lakshana, Subhadra, and Bhadra. 526. In the four directions hundreds and hundreds of goddesses brought splendid divine gifts. With their own hands again and again they offered clusters of precious jewels to the Lord. Loudly they sang auspicious songs of Jaya! Jaya!"
527. In this way they pewrformed the abhisheka of Lord Gauranga, the master of Goloka. It was He and no other. The scriptures meditate on HIm with rapt attention. His form is fair like gold. He is worshiped with a four-syllable mantra. When He is the king of Vaikuntha His form is dark.
528. When he manifests His dark form of Vaikuntha's king He has four hands that hold four weapons. When He has a form splendid like gold, His every limb is like gold. Then He has two arms and He speaks gently. Please hear the truth of this. 529. Gazing then at Lord Gaura decorated with the jewels of transcendental virtues, Narada Muni, overcome with ecstatic spiritual love, fell at the Lord's feet. With unblinking eyes he gazed at the Lord. With his tears he bathed the Lord's feet.
530. Bathed in this way, the Lord gently smiled, picked up Narada, and placed him in His lap. Now Narada's doubts and fears all perished. The anguish in his heart was crushed into dust. Then Narada, who is very dear to the Lord, gently, gently spoke.
531. Narada Muni said: O Lord Mahaprabhu, never have I seen or heard of a form wonderful like Yours. Now my birth has borne its fruit. Now I see a flood of nectar. Now I know that I am fortunate, fortunate.
532. Brahma and the demigods do not understand You. Therefore i say You and Your avataras are beyond the knowledge of individual souls. Some say You are a spiritual effulgence. Others say no words coming from any mouth can ever describe You No one can speak any metaphor or simile that will give a true idea of You.
533. Som,e say You are greater than the greatest, the Supreme Person. No one has the power to describe You completely. Gazing only on Your all-pervading energies one does not attain liberation. Your actions are beyond our understanding.
534. Speaking with a thousand tongues in a thousand mouths, Lord Ananta Shesha still cannot come to the end of Your glories. O Lord Gaura, it is only by Your mercy that I have seen You.
535. They who have single-pointed intelligence offer arati to You and serve Your feet Their intelligence is not diverted into many paths. Some say You are an all-pervading something subtly worshiped by the sankhya-yogis and grossly worshiped by the devotees.
536. Some follow varnasrama-dharma in the Vedas and perform their prescribed duties. Some follow Vedanta. They do not come to any firm conclusion. Not understanding You in truth, they become the followers of many different philosophies.
537. Why do they ferociously debate amongst themselves? Logic gives them no power to understand You. Some of them say all is one. I do not understand Your heart. Your words are completely beyond my understanding.
538. Now that I have attained the mercy of Your feet, my life-breath weeps without stop. Please allow me to give up this material body and take birth again in the family of Your devotees. Then I will be able to worship you with loving devotion (prema-bhakti)."
539. Hearing Narada's words, Lord Narayana, who is decorated with the jewels of all transcendental virtues, said: Go. Go. Go, O king of sages. I will deliver the people of Kali-yuga. I will preach pure devotion offered to Me. I will take birth amongst the devotees in Nadiya.
540. Go to the earth. I stay always at Svetadvipa. Balarama is My brother. Ananta Shesha is His plenary expansion. Shiva and the eleven Rudras worship and serve Him.
541. He enjoys pastimes with beautiful Reavti. He stays on an island in the midst of the milk ocean. From Him the avataras come. He helps Me. He goes first and does My work.
542. Go to Him. Go, O king of sages. Serve Him and tell Him these words: By Your plenary expansion take birth on the earth and accept the name Nityananda."
543. Hearing the Supreme Lord's words, with a happy heart Narada Muni said: Haribol!" Locana dasa describes this, the conversation of those two. Whoever hears these words will be tossed by waves of bliss.
Song 12 (Kshudra-chanda - Dhanashi raga)
Refrain: I will take shelter of the Lord's reddish lotus feet. Go. Go and freely distribute ecstatic spiritual love. I will make the world wild with ecstatic love.
544. Bidding farewell to Narada, the Supreme Lord sat down. Then a thought sprouted in His heart.
545. He said: Im will take birth on the earth. Now I will tell the reason why. Everyone please carefully hear."
546. Surrounded by His associates, the Supreme Lord spoke His heart. The supreme controller of all controllers was worried about the earth.
547. On His right was Radhika. On His left was Queen Rukmini. All around Him were the most important gopis and queens.
548. All around Him were His dear associates. All around Him were His followers.
549. The Lord's dear associates, for whom He is more dear than life, were eager to hear Him. Millions and millions of eyes gazed at His handsome face.
550. As cakora birds yearn after a single moon, so the Lord's associates yearned to drink the nectar rays of the Lord's moonlike face.
551. The Lord said: Yuga after yuga I take birth on the earth. I protect the devotees and I also protect the principles of religion. That is My mission.
552. I establish the principles of religion. Still, the people do not understand. Sin has greatly increased. The people are now addicted to sin.
553. In Treta-yuga sin increased. Now there was more sin than in Satya-yuga. Then in Dvapara-yuga sin increased even more. That made Me very sorrowful.
554. Then came horrible Kali-yuga filled with blinding darkness. Not the smallest particle of true religion remained. Seeing everyone's sufferings, I felt very compassionate.
555. What is My duty when irreligion increases? To destroy irreligion I must descend to the material world.
556. Compassion has now taken birth in My heart. To show the people the ecstatic spiritual love the devotees feel for Me I will now take birth in the material world.
557. I will show the people rare ecstatic loving devotional service (prema-bhakti). I will teach them what is true religion and what is not.
558. In Navadvipa, in Jagannatha Mishra's house near the Ganga, I will take birth in Shaci's womb. 559. This avatara will not be like the other avataras. In the other avataras I conquer the earth to kill the demons.
560. Then My form is great, My weapons are great, and My demon adversaries are great. Fighting great battles, I kill the demons. I crush them to powder.
561. But now everyone is a demon at heart. Now I will not cut them to pieces with My word. How can I attack them with My weapons?
562. I will show them My holy names, My glories and transcendental qualities, My sankirtana movement, and the power of My Vaishnava devotees, I will show them the glory of the ecstatic spiritual love the devotees feel for Me.
563. In this way I will destroy the sins of Kali-
yuga. All of you please go there before Me. Go, and I will follow. Don't hesitate.
564. Wielding the sharp sword of nama-sankirtana (chanting the holy names), I will cut to pieces the demonic desires in their hearts.
565. If the sinners flee far away, the great devotees who are generals in My armies will pursue them.
566. I will plunge the whole world in the nectar of ecstatic spiritual love for Me. Not a single particle of suffering or grief will remain.
567. Into that nectar I will plunge the demigods and all the moving and unmoving beings." Hearing these words, Locana dasa is now filled with bliss.
Song 13 (Varadi raga)
568. Sounding his vina, Narada Muni traveled. Then he could no longer move his hands or feet. His eyes filled with tears, he no longer saw the way to go. He trembled and stumbled like a drunkard.
569. When he took two or four steps forward, again he took the same steps back. His voice choked with emotion, he wildly chanted the Lord's holy names. Ten million times he fell to the ground and with great effort stood again. Rivers of tears streamed from his eyes.
570. One moment he became like a madman. He roared like a lion. In his heart he was rapt in thinking of Lord Gaura. Of the outside world he was not aware. He knew neither himself nor others. He thought only of Lord Gaura.
571. His body glorious like ten million suns, Narada flew in outer space. In a moment he came to Shvetadvipa, the effulgent abode of Lord Balarama.
572. There he gazed at a wonderful city effulgent like millions of millions of cooling moons. A gentle breeze fragrant with the scent of many glorious flowers, blew. Every door was made of glorious elephant pearls. 573. Everyone was in pure goodness. There was no old age, death, or grief. Everyone was a friend. Ever person he saw was sweet and charming. The milk ocean was glorious like Lord Balarama Himself.
574. Gazing at all this, Narada thought within his heart: I am fortunate. Very fortunate. With my own eyes I will soon see the master of the three worlds. Weeping, I will fall at His feet.
575. Yuga after yuga, Lord Balarama descends to the material world and helps Lord Krishna. He enjoys limitless pastimes. He kills a host of demons.
576. Manifesting His plenary expansion, Lord Balarama manifests in three spiritual abodes. There He pleases Lord Krishna with His service. He is the beginning, middle, and end. In His expansion of Lord Ananta, He holds the earth on one of His many hoods.
577. He is the Supreme Lord enjoying many blissful pastimes in Shvetadvipa. Going to the highest spiritual abode, with wonderful happinness He serves Lord Mahaprabhu.
578. When Lord Mahaprabhu walks, Balarama becomes His parasol. When Lord Mahaprabhu sits, Balarama becomes His cloth for sitting. At the time of cosmic annihilation, Balarama becomes a banyan leaf for Lord Mahaprabhu. During great battles, Balarama becomes a host of divine weapons. In these many ways Balarama serves Lord Mahaprabhu.
579. In one expansion He serves Lord Mahaprabhu. In another expansions He holds up the earth. That is my Lord Balarama. Soon I will see Lord Balarama, the master of the three worlds as He sits in the midst of the milk ocean. Soon I will receive His command. 580. These two Lords are like a king and his minister. with one will They protect the earth. Accompanied by Lord Shiva and by The expansions of Their expansions, They will both descend to the earth."
581. Filled with these thoughts, Narada Muni joyfully entered the city. There, surrounded by His associates, he saw wonderful Lord Balaramacandra, the master of the three worlds. 582. Lord Balarama sat on a great white throne like a snow-
covered mountain peak. His smile was sweet like nectar. His eyes were like red lotus flowers. His glance was sleepy with intoxication. The words on His mouth were half-spoken babbling.
583. Their pupils like black bees, His eyes were half-
closed. His necklace glistened with jewels, pearls, and coral. One could not see all the ornaments on His body. 584. Relaxed, He sat on a soft pillow. His helft hand rested on His head. His right hand held Revati's hand. Preparing betelnuts, Revati placed them in Lord Balarama's mouth. Speaking words of love, she gazed at Him.
585. In the four directions were many maidservants. Their bracelets and ornaments tinkled. Some smiled and waved camaras. Some played the vina or the flute. Some sang songs. Some beautiful girls gracefully played on drums.
586. There were hundreds and hundreds of maidservants, each engaged in her own duties. Narada Muni sounded his vina. Lord Balarama suddenly glanced at him.
587. Overcome with bliss, Narada Muni trembled and fell to the ground. Lord Balarama picked him up and embraced him. The Lord gazed at Him with eternal love. He spoke pleasing, cooling words.
588. Smiling, Lord Balarama said: From whence have you come? Please tell Me. Tell Me your secrets. Tell what you have done. Tell what is in your heart. Floods and floods of bliss now rise up within Me."
589. Narada Muni respectfully said: What can I say? I know very well that You are the Supersoul present in every heart. Whatever I think, whatever I would say, You already know, O Lord.
590. The people of Kali-yuga are very sinful. Seeing that they have no hope of deliverance, You felt compassion for them in Your heart, O Lord. That is why now You will descend to the earth. You will protect Your devotees. You will establish the true religion.
591. You hinted to me that now irreligion will peirsh and the true religion will be established. You commanded me to proclaim this news. Hearing this news, the worlds became joyful.
592. Feeling Radha's love within Your heart, and manifesting Radha's complexion outside on Your form, within and without You will become like Radha. Accompanied by Your gopa and gopi associates and by numberless other devotees also, You will make everyone wild, intoxicated by tasting the blissful love the people of Vraja feel for You.
593. Accompanied by Your associates, servants, and confidential companions, You will take birth on the earth. You will accept the name Nityananda. Your body, heart, and deeds will not stay invisible to the people of the earth. All this Lord Gauranga commanded me."
594. Hearing this words, Lord Nityananda Raya joyfully glanced in the four directions. Then He loudly, loudly laughed. His laughter was like thunder. He was very wonderful to see. Overcome with the bliss of ecstatic love, He forgot Himself.
595. Lord Balarama said: Command your followers to take birth on the earth. By the Lord's orderdeliver the people. O Narada Muni, you also go. Take birth on the earth. What formerly was invisible to the people of the earth I will now make visible to their eyes."
596. Everyone please attentively hear these nectar words, these songs filled with the glories of Lord Gaura. Lord Gaura is the best of avataras. In a fair form He descended to the Kali-
yuga. O people, please remember HIm in your hearts.
597. Placing a straw between my teeth, and feeling great anguish in my heart, I beg you: Please do not neglect the glories of Lord Gaura. Dont fix your thoughts on this world of birth and death. Instead please fall in love with Lord Krishna. Then you will escape the cycle of repeated births and deaths.
598. Lord Gaura, who had never come before, will descend to this world. He will bring to life they who are on the verge of death. He will show the true path to they who are blind. This Locana dasa sings His glories.
Song 14 (Bhatiyari raga)
Refrain: Sing, O my brothers! Sing the glories of Lord Chaitanya and Lord Nityananda!
599. Thus following Lord Mahaprabhu's command, by their pleanry portions (amsha), all the Lord's associates took birth on the earth.
600. Lord Shiva was the first. He took birth in a brahmana's family. His name was Kamalaksha.
601. Reading and hearing, he became very learned. In this way he was given the title Advaita Acarya".
602. Lord Shiva is situated in the mode of pure goodness. Still, the foolish people of this world say he is in the mode of ignorance.
603. They do not know what is in his heart. Seeing only his external activities, they say he is in the mode of ignroance.
604. In his heart Lord Shiva always meditates on Lord Krishna. That is why Lord Shiva is called Hari-hara" (He who always keeps Lord Krishna within himself). Rather it is the materialistic people who are in the mode of ignorance. Instead of Lord Krishna, they keep the mode of ignorance in their hearts. 605. It is the materialistic devotees are in the mode of ignroance. I say it is they who are lowly and fallen. It is they who are foolish, who have only very little knowledge.
606. How can they say Lord Shiva is in the mode of ignorance? Please do not disrespect Lord Shiva in this way. Do not speak or hear any criticisms of Lord Shiva. 607. Carefully considering everything in my heart, I say this: Lord Gaura is the best of avataras.
608. Then Lord Balarama, with whose help all the avataras enjoy Their pastimes, took birth on the earth.
609. He took birth in a brahmana's family. Following the yuga-dharma, He was always filled with eternal bliss.
610. In His plenary expansion He becomes Lord Ananta, who has a thousand hoods. With only one of those hoods He holds up the earth and protects the entire material creation.
611. This same Lord Balarama took birth in Padmavati's womb. His father was Hadai Ojha, who was also called by the name Paramananda.
612. Lord Balarama's father and mother gave Him the name Kuvera Pandita. When He accepted sannyasa, Lord Balarama accepted the name Nityananda.
613. In the month of Magha, on the shukla-trayodashi, at an auspicious moment, He very happily took birth on the earth.
614. Then Goddess Katyayani also took birth in a brahmana's family. Her name was Sita.
615. She married Advaita Acarya. Together they both manifested great love and devotion for Lord Krishna.
616. I have very little intelligence. How can I know the truth? How can I explain the identities of the devotees who descended to the earth?
617. What I have heard from the mouths of the great souls I will not repeat. I am too shy.
618. I have no power to say their original identities. I will only list their names.
619. I will not consider who is most important and should come first and who is less important and should come last. How can I know? Neither will I give them in alphabetical order.
620. There were Shaci-devi and Jagannatha Mishra Puranadara. Lord Chaitanya took birth in their home.
621. There were Gopinatha and Kashi Mishra Thakura. They delighted all who followed Lord Chaitanya's path.
622. There were Shri Gadadhara Pandita, Gadadhara dasa, Murari, Mukunda Datta, and Shrinivasa.
623. There were Ramananda Raya, Vasudeva Datta, Haridasa Thakura, and Govindadasa.
624. There were Ishvara Puri, Madhavendra Puri, Vishnu Puri, Vakreshvara, and saintly Paramananda Puri. 625. There were Jagadananda Pandita, Vishnupriya, Raghava Pandita, and many others who stayed on the earth.
626. There were Ramadasa, Gauridasa, glorious Krishnadasa, Purushottama, and Shri Kamalakara.
627. There were Kala Krishnadasa and Uddharana Datta. These great souls were among the twelve gopalas in Vraja.
628. There were Parameshvara dasa, Vrindavana dasa, Kashishvara, Shrila Rupa Gosvami, and Shrila Sanatana Gosvami.
629. There were Govinda, Madhava Ghosha, and Vasu Ghosha, All these met together on the earth.
630. There were Damodara Pandita and his five brothers. They took birth in the same family on the earth.
631. There were Purandara Pandita and Paramananda Vaidya. Some devotees came to the earth earlier and other later.
632. There was also Narahari Thakura, who is my master. I will especially describe his glorious character anjd activities.
633. How can I describe his glorious character and activities? As far as the power of my intelligence allows, I will describe them.
634. O my heart, please don't be proud. Simply bow down before my spiritual master's feet.
635. O my master, by the mercy of your feet even a person like myself, a person worthless like a pile of ashes, can describe your glories.
636. I am Shri Narahari's servant. He is my master. In the community of physicians he is glorious and famous.
637. His love for Lord Krishna has no limit. His body is filled with Lord Krishna's potency. To his followers he explains the truth of ecstatic spiritual love for Lord Krishna.
638. His heart is overcome with compassion for the numberless conditioned souls. His heart is always restless with ecstatic love for Lord Krishna.
639. When ectsatic love arose within him it was as if his body was plunged in the nectar of love for Shri Shri Radha-Krishna.
640. In this way, moment after moment plunged in Shri Shri Radha-Krishna's nectar glories, he lived in the village of Shrikhanda.
641. He became known as Narahari Chaitanya". Without his feet I have no good future.
642. One moment he was plunged in ecstatic love for Shri Krishna. Another moment he was plunged in ecstatic love for Shri Radha. He was personified nectar love for Shri Shri Radha-Krishna.
643. He purely walked on the path taught by Lord Chaitanya. He was the incarnation of the peerless nectar of spiritual love.
644. He is appropriately affectionate to all the Vaishnavas. His pure fame is manifest in all the world.
645. In the spiritual world of Vrindavana he is the gopi Madhumati, who is Shri Radha's dear friend, and who is a great reservoir of sweetness.
646. During the Kali-yuga he became Narahari, a personal associate of Lord Chaitanya. He is perfectly qualified to taste the great reservoir of ecstatic love for Shri Shri Radha-Krishna.
647. His nephew is Shri Raghunandana Thakura, whose fame is very great in this world.
648. He fed laḍus to his Deity, and his Deity personally ate them. What fool dares say Shri Raghunandana is an ordinary unintelligent person?
649-650. Such person's cannot know what is in a true Vaishnava's heart. He would talk with his Krishna Deity, and His Deity would talk to him. How can anyone know his true glories?
651. Lord Chaitanya said to him: You are my very life." Abhirama Gosvami revealed his true identity. 652. Seeing Lord Chaitanya embrace him, everyone thought he must be an incarnation of Kamadeva.
653. When the power of Lord Krishna entered (avesha) him, he danced, his dancing enchanting the hearts of everyone in the world. He did not make distinctions. He loved everyone equally.
654. The words he spoke were always sweet. He never listened to harsh words.
655. He was intelligent, expert, playful, charming, and handsome. His body was like a flood of nectar. He was the most fortunate person in the world.
656. His father was the noble-hearted Mukunda dasa, who had pure faith in the path Lord Chaitanya taught.
657. Seeing a peacock-feather fan in the royal assembly, he fainted, overcome with ecstatic love for Lord Krishna.
658. What kind of nectar pastimes did he enjoy in Lord Chaitanya's company? Who knows? Only Lord Ananta Shesha, and the other personal associates of the Lord know.
659. How can a conditioned soulk know Lord Krishna's powers and glories? One who knows Lord Krishna can see Him directly.
660. What more can I say? The Lord weapons and personal companions came to the earth. How many of them can I name?
661. Perhaps I copuld measure the ocean bt draining it with waterpots, one by one. Perhaps I could one by one countthe particles of dust on the earth.
662. Perahps I could have the power to count the stars in the sky. Even if I could do all this, I still could never have the power to write down all the glories of the Lord's Gaura-
663. I am very unintelligent. What more can I say. How can a fool understand the Vedas?
664. How can a blind man see a glustening jewel? How cana dwarf reach up a touch the moon?
665. How can a proud lame man jump over a mountain? How can a tiny ant carry a great mountain on its back?
666. In the same way my heart yearns to describe Lord Gaura-avatara's pastimes
667-668. Folding my hands, I say: Everyone, please hear. By the Lord Gaura's glory a dumb man can become an eloquent speaker, and a person without a tongue can speak very wise words, and a fool who has never studied books can describe the Supreme Lord.
669. Taking birth on the earth, the great, great devotees of the Lord describe the secret truths of Lord Krishna.
670. Without any selfish motive they are compassioned to all the conditioned souks. They are like a mother who takes care of a mischievous child.
671. Seeing that it has no limit, I, a very fallen person, long to attain the nectar of the Lord's mercy.
672. The body of Shri Narahari dasa is filled with compassion. Seeing this, I, a sinner, love him without limit.
673. Seeing that I was a wicked, blind, very ill-behaved sinner who had no shelter, Shri Narahari felt compassion for me.
674. By the power of his mercy and the mercy of the other Vaishnavas, this fool hopes to complete this book.
675. Folding my hands, I speak theseplaintive words: I offer myself at the feet of the Vaishnavas.
676. In this world no one is more fallen than me. Only by the Vaishnavas' mercy will I be able to complete my task.
677. Placing a straw between his teeth, Locana dasa humbly bows down and says: Please fulfill my desire.
678. Now the Sutra-khaṇa of this book has come to its end. Everyone please hear. Now I will speak the Adi-khaṇa describign Lord Gaura-avatara. 679. The Sutra-khaṇa has now ended. With a happy heart Locana dasa will now describe the Lord's pastimes of ecstatic love.
Thus ends the Sutra-khaṇa