|NITAAI-Veda.nyf > All Scriptures By Acharyas > Vishvanatha Chakravarti Thakura > Ksanada-gita-cintamani > Astama Ksanada, Krsna Astami|
Ashtama Kshanada, Krishna Ashtami
Eighth Night, Eighth Night of the Dark Fortnight
Song 1 Shri Gaurachandrasya (of Lord Gaurachandra) (Shri-raga)
1. aparupa hema-mani bhasa
akhila bhubana parakasha
2. caudike parishada-tara
dura karu kali-andhiyara
3. (Refrain) abhinaba gora dwija-raja
uyala nabadwipa majha
4. pulakita sthira-cara-jati
5. keha bidhu-ma.ni sama kande
keha hase kumudini chande
6. gobinda dasa cakora
ruci-laba lagi bibhora
1. He shines like a wonderful topaz. He lights up all the worlds.
2. In the four directions are the glistening stars of His personal associates. He throws far awaye the blinding darkness of Kali-yuga.
3. (Refrain) Lord Gaura, the eternally young king of the brahmanas, is manifest in Navadvipa.
4. The moving and unmoving beings are all in ecstasy, the hairs of their bodies now standing erect. They have become wild, intoxicated by tasting the sweet nectar of pure spiritual love.
5. Some weep like candrakanta jewels. Some laugh like blossoming lotus flowers.
6. Govinda dasa has become like a cakora bird. Tasting a single ray of the effulgent glories of these pastimes, he is overcome.
Song 2 Shri Nityanandacandrasya (of Lord Nityanandacandra) (Deshaga-raga)
1. sahaje nitaicandera rita
dekhi unamata jagata-cita
2. abani kampita nitai-bhare
bhaya bhaya bale gambhira-sware
3. gaura balite shaura-hina
kande bha-iyara bhabe rajani dina
4. nitai-carane ye kare asha
brindabana tara dasera dasa
1. Seeing Lord Nitaicandra's pastimes, the people of the world feel their hearts become wild with bliss.
2. The earth trembles from the weight of Nitai's footsteps. "Brother! Brother!", Nitai calls in a deep voice.
3. "Gaura!" He calls out. Overcome by feelings of separation from Lord Krishna, Nitai weeps day and night.
4. Vrindavana dasa is the servant of the servant of anyone who yearns to attain Lord Nitai's feet.
Song 3 Shri Radhaha (Shri Radha Speaks) (Dhanashi-raga)
1. kahe kanu ghana ghana a-ota ya-ota
phiri phiri badana nehari
has hasi mukha shashi ugare amiya-rashi
ki tohe kahala puchari
2. (Refrain) sajani kaha kichu badana bisheshsa
hena anumani cite na jani kahara bhite
3. sahaje rasika-raja alakhita saba kaja
anubhabi ora nahi pa-i
yahara ingita kare kula shila saba haye
bhagye bhagye amara eda-i
4. eka-i nagare baise satata e dike a-ise
dekhi shuni kampaye parana
jnana dasete bale tumi kaha kon chale
karite na pari anumana
1. Why does Krishna come and go back and forth? What questions did He ask when He spoke to you with a sweet nectar smile on His moonlike face?
2. (Refrain) O gopi-friend, please tell what He said. I do not know what is in His mind. With what gopi has He now fallen a little bit in love?
3. He is the king of all who taste nectar. I do not understand His secret ways. His hints about family and good character are all lost to Me.
4. I sit in the village. I always look for Him. When I hear of Him or gaze at Him, My life-breath trembles. Jnana dasa says: You tell her. I do not know what trick Krishna is playing here.
Song 4 Brindaha (Vrinda Speaks) (Dhanashi-raga)
1. (Refrain) dhani dhani ramani-janama dhani tora
saba jana kanu kanu kari bhaba-i
so tuya bhabe bibhora
2. cataka cahi tiya-phala ambuda
cakora cahi rahu canda
taru latika- abalambana-kari
majhu mane lagala dhanda
3. hasa-ite kab tuhum dasha dekha-oli
kare kare jorahim mora
hridaya khli tuhum dithi pasarali
tahe heri sakhi karu kora
4. kesha pasari yab hum tuhum achali
ura para ambara adha
se saba sonari kanu bhela akula
kaha dhani kemana samadha
5. sakala bishesha kahanu tohe sundari
jani tuhum kabari bidhana
parana-putali tuhum so shuna kalebara
kabi bidyapati bhana
1. (Refrain) O beautiful girl, beautiful girl, your birth as a girl has now become glorious. Krishna certainly loves everyone. But is now overcome with love for you.
2. As a thirstly cataka bird gazes at the rainclouds, as a cakora bird gazes at the moon, and as a flowering vine takes shelter of a tree, an unsolved riddle now stays in my heart.
3. Sometimes you smile and show Your teeth, and place Your hands in my hands. Sometimes you open your heart. Sometimes you cast glances. Sometimes, seeing a gopi-friend, you sit her on your lap.
4. Sometimes you untie your braids and half-open your bodice. Seeing this, Krishna becomes aroused. O beautiful girl, what is on your mind? Please tell.
5. O beautiful girl, now I have told you everything. I think I know why you do what you do. Her body is only an empty shell. Her life-breath is only a puppet in her hands. This the poet Vidyapati says.
Song 5 (Ashabari-raga Mulatana)
1. hanta na kimu mantharayasi santatam abhijalpam
danta-rocir antarayati santamasam analpam
2. (Refrain) radhe pathi munca bhuri sambhramam abhisare
caraya caranamburuhe dhiram sukumare
3. santanu ghana-varnam atula-kuntala-nicayantam
dhvantam tava jivatu nakha-kantibhir abhishantam
4. sa sanatana-manasadya yanti gati-shankam
angi-kuru manju-kunja-vasater alam ankam
1. Why do You walk so slowly? The effulgence of Your teeth lights up the great darkness of all Your talking.
2. (Refrain) O Radha, leave the path. O delicate girl, make Your lotus feet run to the meeting with Your lover.
3. O beautiful girl, the effulgence of Your fingernails lights up the great darkness of Your curly black locks of hair.
4. Her thoughts fixed on the eternal Lord, and Her fears gone, the girl hurries. O girl, please enter the cottage in this beautiful forest grove.
Song 6 (Gauri-raga)
1. keli-vipinam pravishati radha
2. kalayati nayanam dishi dishi valitam
pankajam iva mridu-maruta-calitam
3. vinidadhati mridu-manthara-padam
racayati kunjara-gatim anuvadam
4. janayati rudra-gajadhipa-muditam
1. Tortured by ever-increasing amorous desires, Radha enters the pastime forest.
2. Radha's eyes move in all directions. like a lotus moving in a gentle breeze.
3. She walks with gentle, slow steps. She walks as a graceful elephant.
4. May these words, spoken by the poet Ramananda Raya, bring happinessa to Gajapati Maharaja Prataparudra.
1. kusumavalibhir upaskuru talpam
2. (Refrain) priya-sakhi keli-paricchada-punjam
upakalpaya sa-tvaram adhi kunjam
3. mani-samputam upanaya tambulam
shayanancalam api pita-dukulam
4. viddhi samagatam apratibandham
madhavam ashu sanatana-sandham
1. Decorate the bed with many flowers. Make a necklace of the best of glistening jewels.
2. (Refrain) O dear gopi-friend, in this forest grove please quickly prepare the paraphernalia for the pastimes.
3. Please arrange the jewel-box filled with betelnuts. Please place a yellow cloth upon the bed.
4. Please know that eternal Krishna has already come. Nothing could keep Him from this place.
Song 8 (Dhanashi-raga)
1. angane a-oba yab rasiya
palati calaba hama ishata hasiya
2. abeshe ancara piya dharabe
ya-oba hama yatana bahu karabe
3. kancuya dharaba yab hathiya
kare kara baraba kutila adha dithiya
4. rabhasa ma-iba piya yabahim
mukha modi bihasi balaba nahi tabahim
5. o rasa lagala ramani
kata kata yukati manahim anumani
6. sahaje purusha so-i bhramara
mukha-kamala-madhu piyaba hamara
7. taikhane haraba geyane
biyapati kahe dhani tuya dheyane
1. I will enter the courtyard. Slightly and sweetly turning away, I will gently smile.
2. My beloved will grasp the edge of my garment. I will struggle to depart.
3. He will forcibly grasp my bodice. I will forbid His hand. I will give Him a crooked sidelong glance.
4. My beloved will beg. Smiling a crooked smile, I will not say anything.
5. How many reasons will He give? This girl will taste nectar.
6. He will become like a black bee. Then He will taste the nectar at the lotus flower of my lips.
7. Then I will faint. Vidyapati says: O beautiful girl, this is your meditation.
Song 9 Utkanthita (A Gopi Who Yearns To Associate With Krishna) (Ashabari-raga)
1. kim u candravalir anaya-gabhira
arunad amum rati-biram adhira
2. (Refrain) ati-ciram ajani rajanir ati-kali
sangam avindata na hi vana-mali
3. kim iha jale dhrita-panka-vipake
vismritir asya babhuva varake
4. kim uta sanatana-natur alaghishtham
ranam arabhata suraribhir ishtam
1. Did restless, misbehaving Candravali stop Krishna, the hero of amorous pastimes?
2. (Refrain) A very long time has passed. It is now very late at night, and still Krishna garlanded with forest flowers has not met me here.
3. Why do my tears muddy the ground? Krishna has forgotten this worthless girl.
4. Does Krishna, whose form is eternal, now wage a ferocious battle with the demigods' enemies?
Song 10 (Bhupali-raga)
1. dekha sakhi atamiko rati
adha rajani bahi yati
2. dasha disha arunima bhela
adha canda u-i gela
3. aba hari na milala re
bihi more bancala re
4. kahe banayanu besha
bighatana kanuko sandesha
5. kahuko naha iha gari
dhani jani haye kula-nari
6. kaichane dharaba parana
ko eta sahe phula-bana
7. gobinda dasa yab jana
abahim mila-oba kana
1. O gopi-friend, look! The eigth part of the night has passed. Not even half the night remains.
2. The ten directions are red with the dawn. The half moon is gone.
3. Krishna did not come to meet me. I was cheated by destiny.
4. Why did I so carefully arrange jmy garments and ornaments? Krishna must have taken my letter and thrown it away.
5. This saintly beautiful girl did not meet with Him.
6. Why should I continue to live? Who can bear these flower arrows Kamadeva attacks me with?
7. Govinda dasa knows: Eventually this gopi will meet Krishna.
Song 11 (Kamoda-raga)
1. kanuko sandeshe besha bani a-onu
madhabi-parimale bhari tanu jarala
2. (Refrain) shuna sajani aju na milala daruna kana
nilaja cita bipraiti anurodhata
te nahi yata parana
3. kanuko bacana- amiya rasa=secane
becanu tanu mana jati
nija kula-dushana bhushana kari mananu
te bhela aichana shati
4. himakara-kirana gamana abarodhala
mandira calata sandeha
gobinda dasa kaha-i shuna sundari
kanuko aichana leha
1. Following the instructions Krishna wrote in His letter, I dressed and decorated myself and I went to the pastime forest to meet Him. In that jasmine-fragrant forest grove I wept. My body seemed to have burst into flames.
2. (Refrain) Please hear, O gopi-friend. Cruel Krishna did not come to meet me there. Still my shameless heart loves Him. Still my life-breath does not leave my body.
3. In exchange for the sprinkling of nectar that is His playful words I have sold to Krishna my body, heart, and status in society. I thought all the ornaments I wore defiled my saintly family. I thought persons like myself will certainly be punished.
4. Perhaps the glistening moon prevented Krishna's arrival. Filled with these doubts, I returned home. Govinda dasa says: O beautiful girl, please hear my words. Krishna will certainly accept a girl like you.
Song 12 (Baradi-raga)
1. pashyati dishi dishi rahasi bhavantam
2. (Refrain) natha hare sidati radha vasa-grihe
3. tvad-abhisarana-rabhasena valanti
patati padani kiyanti calanti
jivati param iha tava rati-kalaya
5. muhur avalokita-mandana-lila
madhuripur aham iti bhavana-shila
6. tvaritam upaiti na katham abhisaram
harir iti vadati sakhim anuvaram
7. shlishyati cumbati jaladhara-kalpam
harir upagata iti timiram analpam
8. bhavati vilambini vigalita-lajja
vilapati roditi vasaka-sajja
9. shri-jayadeva-kaver idam uditam
rasika-janam tanutam ati-muditam
1. In a secluded place She looks in one direction after another. She looks for You, who taste the sweet nectar of Her lips.
2. (Refrain) O Lord Krishna, Radha waits in the cottage.
3. To this place she ran to meet You. How many times did She trip and fall as She ran?
4. Her bracelets are splendid lotus-stem sprouts. It is only because of Your amorous pastimes with Her that is able to stay alive.
5. Again and again She playfully looks at Her ornaments. "Now I am Krishna", She thinks.
6. "Why does Krishna not quickly come here to meet Me?", She asks Her gopi-friend again and again.
7. She kisses and embraces the rainclouds. Looking in the black darkness, She declares: "Aha! Krishna has come!"
8. In this way She waits for You. Now Her shyness is gone. She weeps and laments. She yearns to attain You.
9. May these words of the poet Shri Jayadeva delight the devotees expert at tasting the nectar of the rasas.
Song 13 (Gurjari-raga)
1. ritu-pati-rati biraha-jware jagari
duti upalekhi rama
priya sahacari bali mohe patha-oli
ata-eba a-onu tuya thama
2. shuna madhaba kara jodi kahichom mo toya
tuhum na herabi moya
3. dura kara alasa anahim lalasa
baru hama jibana tohe niramanchana
tabahum na sompaba anga
4. yahe shira sompi kota para shutiye
so yadi karu biparite
biparitiko pantha aiche taba mithaba
gobinda dasa cite bhite
1. On this night during the king of seasons, a dear gopi-friend now stays awake. She burns in the flames of separation from You. She sent me here with a message. That is why I have coem to You.
2. Please hear, O Madhava. She folds her palms and says to You: "I gaze at You with eyes tossed by Kamadeva's desires. Still You will not even glance at me.
3. "Please throw Your indifference far away. Love me. Speak witty words to me. Then I will remain alive. I will worship You with arati. Then I will not throw this body away.
4. "I bow my head before You. I will sit in Your lap. If somehow in the past I was ever averse to You, at that moment I will walk on the path of falling in love with You." Govinda dasa also thinks in this way in his heart.
Song 14 (Baradi-raga)
1. cira dine so bidhi bhela nirabada
purala donhaka manobhaba-sadha
2. a-ola madhaba rati-sukha-basa
badhala ramaniko manahim hulasa
4. so tanu-parimale bharala diganta
anubhabi murachi padala rati-kanta
6. kahe hari-ballabha kumudini-indu
ucchalala sakhi-gana ananda-sindhu
1. After many days destiny has fulfilled the amorous desires of the divine couple.
2. Madhava arrives at the cottage of amorous pastimes. Now bliss expands in the beautiful girl's heart.
3. The directions become filled with the sweet fragrance of the couple's forms. The couple faints in the ecstasy of amorous pastimes.
4. Hari-vallabha says: Now the moon rises and makes the lotus flowers bloom. Now this girl's gopi-friends play in the rising waves of spiritual bliss.
1. She bows Her face. She does not say anything. The Lord extends His hand. She fears His touch.
2. The very wise Lord makes His request. Proud Radha does not accept.
3. He speaks many words of love. In Her heart Radha sees only a small particle of nectar.
4. He touches Her garment. Beautiful Radha turns Her face.
5. He eagerly speaks His sweet request. She rejects it.
6. All His worship of Her is for nought. Jnana dasa says: It will not be.
1. Aggressive, He rests a hand on Her breast. A lotus flower devours a lotus bud.
2. One face touches another face. One lotus flower sips the nectar of another lotus flower.
3. Ornaments jangle. King Kamadeva pays no attention.
4. One heart grasps another heart in a tight embrace. Gar;ands, necklaces, shyness, and fears are all broken into pieces.
5. Perspiration floods both bodies. They are like a monsoon cloud and lightning. Their love is ever-new.
6. Now They are one life. Now They are one life's breath. In the beginning, before They jopined together, They were Radha and Krishna.
7. It was Kamadeva who first separated Them into two. Now He has joined Them together into one body.
8. Hari-vallabha says: What more may be said? These two forms are nectar personified.