|NITAAI-Veda.nyf > All Scriptures By Acharyas > Vedas > Hymns Of The Atharva-Veda > VI. Charms To Secure Harmony, Influence In The Asse-Nibly|
VI. Charms To Secure Harmony, Influence In The Asse-Nibly, And The Like (Sammanasyani, Etc.).
III, 30. Charm to secure harmony.
1. Unity of heart, and unity of mind, freedom from hatred, do I procure for you. Do ye take delight in one another, as a cow in her (new-) born calf!
2. The son shall be devoted to his father, be of the same mind with his mother; the wife shall speak honied, sweet, words to her husband!
3. The brother shall not hate the brother, and the sister not the sister! Harmonious, devoted to the same purpose, speak ye words in kindly spirit!
4. That charm which causes the gods not to disagree, and not to hate one another, that do we prepare in your house, as a means of agreement for your folk.
5. Following your leader, of (the same) mind, do ye not hold yourselves apart! Do ye come here, co-operating, going along the same wagon-pole, speaking agreeably to one another! I render you of the same aim, of the same mind.
6. Identical shall be your drink, in common shall be your share of food! I yoke you together in the same traces: do ye worship Agni, joining together, as spokes around about the hub!
7. I render you of the same aim, of the same mind, all paying deference to one (person) through my harmonising charm. Like the gods that are guarding the ambrosia, may he (the leader) be welldisposed towards you, night and day!
VI, 73. Charm to allay discord.
1. Hither shall come Varuna, Soma, Agni; Brihaspati with the Vasus shall come hither! Come together, O ye kinsmen all, of one mind, to the glory of this mighty guardian!
2. The fire that is within your souls, the scheme that hath entered your minds, do I frustrate with my oblation, with my ghee: delight in me shall ye take, O kinsmen!
3. Remain right here, go not away from us; (the roads) at a distance Pushan shall make impassable for you! Vistoshpati shall urgently call you back: delight in me shall ye take, O kinsmen!
VI, 74. Charm to allay discord.
1. May your bodies be united, may your mindg and your purposes (be united)! Brahmanaspati here has brought you together, Bhaga has brought you together.
2. Harmony of mind (I procure) for you, and also harmony of heart. Moreover with the aid of Bhaga's exertions do I cause you to agree.
3. As the Adityas are united with the Vasus, as the fierce (Rudras), free from grudge, with the Maruts, thus, O three-named (Agni), without grudge, do thou render these people here of the same mind!
VII, 52. Charm against strife and bloodshed.
1. May we be in harmony with our kinfolk, in harmony with strangers; do ye, O Asvins, establish here agreement among us!
2. May we agree in mind and thought, may we not struggle with one another, in a spirit displeasing to the gods! Ma not the din of frequent battle-carnage arise, may the arrow not fly when the day of Indra has arrived!
VI, 64. Charm to allay discord.
1. Do ye agree, unite yourselves, may your minds be in harmony, just as the gods of old in harmony-. sat down to their share!
2. Same be their counsel, same their assembly, same their aim, in common their thought! The 'same' oblation do I sacrifice for you: do ye enter upon the same plan!
Same be your intention, same your hearts! Same be your mind, so that it may be perfectly in common to you!
VI, 42. Charm to appease anger.
1. As the bowstring from the bow, thus do I take off thy anger from thy heart, so that, having become of the same mind, we shall associate like friends!
2. Like friends we shall associate-I take off thy anger. Under a stone that is heavy do we cast thy anger.
3. I step upon thy anger with my heel and my fore-foot, so that, bereft of will, thou shalt not speak, shalt come up to my wish!
VI, 43. Charm to appease anger.
1. This darbha-grass removes the anger of both kinsman and of stranger. And this remover of wrath, 'appeaser of wrath' it is called.
2. This darbha-grass of many roots, that reaches down into the ocean, having risen from the earth, 'appeaser of wrath' it is called.
3. Away we take the offensiveness that is in thy jaw, away (the offensiveness) in thy mouth, so that, bereft of will, thou shalt not speak, shalt come up to my wish!
II, 27. Charm against opponents in debate, undertaken with the pata-plant.
1. May the enemy not win the debate! Thou art mighty and overpowering. Overcome the debate of those that debate against us, render them devoid of force, O plant!
2. An eagle found thee out, a boar dug thee out with his snout. Overcome the debate of those that debate against us, render them devoid of force, O plant!
3. Indra placed thee upon his arm in order to overthrow the Asuras. Overcome the debate of those that debate against us, render them devoid of force, O plant!
4. Indra did eat the pata-plant, in order to overthrow the Asuras. Overcome the debate of those that debate against us, render them devoid of force, O plant!
5. By means of thee I shall conquer the enemy, as Indra (conquered) the Salavrikas. Overcome the debate of those that debate against us, render them devoid of force, O plant!
6. O Rudra, whose remedy is the urine, with black crest of hair, performer of (strong) deeds,overcome thou the debate of those that debate against us, render them devoid of force, O plant!
7. Overcome thou the debate of him that is hostile to us, O Indra! Encourage us with thy might! Render me superior in debate!
VII, 12. Charm to procure influence in the assembly.
1. May assembly and meeting, the two daughters of Pragapati, concurrently aid me! May he with whom I shall meet co-operate with me, may I, O ye Fathers, speak agreeably to those assembled!
2. We know thy name, O assembly: 'mirth,' verily, is thy name; may all those that sit assembled in thee utter speech in harmony with me!
3. Of them that are sitting together I take to myself the power and the understanding: in this entire vathering render, O Indra, me successful!
4. If your mind has wandered to a distance, or has been enchained here or there, then do we turn it hither: may your mind take delight in me!
VI, 94. Charm to bring about submission to one's will.
1. Your minds, your purposes, your plans, do we cause to bend. Ye persons yonder, that are devoted to other purposes, we cause you to comply!
2. With my mind do I seize your minds: do ye with your thoughts follow my thought! I place your hearts in my control: come ye, directing your way after my course!
3. I have called upon heaven and earth, I have called upon the goddess Sarasvati, I have called upon both Indra and Agni: may we succeed in this. O Sarasvati!