|NITAAI-Veda.nyf > All Scriptures By Acharyas > Prayers and Songs > Songs of Vaishnava Acharyas > Ghanasyama dasa|
Song 1 (Gandhara-raga)
1. bhaba sagara bara duratara duragraha
duranta gati su-bithara
nimagana jagata patita saba akula
ko-i na pa-ola para
2. (Refrain) jaya jaya nita-i gaura abatara
hari-nama prabala tarani abalambaye
karunaya karala uddhara
3. aja bhaba adi byasa shuka narada
anta na paya-i yan3ra
aichana prema patita jane bitara-i
ko achu karuna apara
4. hena abatara ara kiye hoyaba
rasika bhakata-gana mela
dina ghanayshama son3ari bhela jara jara
hridi maha rahi gela shela
1. The ocean of repeated birth and death is horrible and wide. The people of the world were drowning in it. The fallen souls were distraught. No one could swim to the shore.
2. (Refrain) Glory glory to Lord Gaura and Lord Nitai who descended to this world! Kindly picking up the drowning souls They placed them in the strong boat of Lord Krishna's holy names and delivered them.
3. Even Brahma Shiva Vyasa Shukadeva Narada and all the demigods and sages could not find that ocean's shore. To the fallen people Lord Gaura and Lord Nitai gave the gift of ecstatic spiritual love. Who has limitless mercy like Them?
4. Will there ever be another avatara like Them? They were surrounded by a host of rasika devotees. Remembering Them poor Ghanashyama is overcome. He feels as if a javelin is pushed into his heart.
Song 2 (Basanta-raga)
1. aju purnima saja samaye rahu shashi garasi
gauracandra udaye bhabahi tapatama binashi
2. praphullita saba bhakta-hridaya dhiraja na dharu ko-i
sita-pati niyade calata ati unamata ho-i
3. ghana ghana hunkarata adwaita parama dhira
bilasata priya-gana saha grahane suradhuni-tira
4. mangala kala-raba saba nadiya-pura bhari bhela
kautuke ko-i janata nahi kaiche rajani gela
5. mishra-bhabana shobha shubha sampada sukha badhi
ayata bahu loka kona yata bhabana chadi
6. bayata mridu-badya sarasa badaka muda mati
gayaka-gana gana-nipuna gayata kata bhanti
7. nartaka krita nritya tatta thai tathai ucari
nirmala yasha bhanata bhata bhangi bhara bithari
8. yacaka mana toshi mishra deta ucita dana
nirupama nabanita ranga nirakhata ghanashyama
1. Now it is the full-moon. Rahu swallows the moon. The moon of Lord Gaura rises. Now all sufferings are destroyed.
2. The devotees’ hearts blossom with bliss. No one is peaceful. Lord Advaita approaches. He is wild with bliss.
3. Saintly Lord Advaita roars. During the eclipse on the Ganga's banks He enjoys pastimes with His companions.
4. All of Nadiya's towns are filled with auspicious sounds. No one can identify anyone else in the darkness of night.
5. Jagannatha Mishra's house is filled with beauty splendor opulence and bliss. Leaving their own homes everyone goes there.
6. The instrumental music is sweet. The musicians are all wild with bliss. How many glorious songs do the expert singers sing?
7. The dancers dance. “Thai tathai!” the rhythms declare. The poets recite graceful words describing His pure glories.
8. Giving proper charity Jagannatha Mishra satisfies the beggars’ hearts. Ghanashyama gazes at the peerless infant an infant fair like new butter.
Song 3 (Basanta-raga)
1. purnima-pratipada-sandhi samaya pa-i rahu garasala gagana-shashi
nimba-mahi-taru-tala-sutika-gehe udaya bhela go-ura-shashi
2. shishu-rupa ala-bhubana ujala karu jwalila janu pradipa shata
swaraga parihari sura-suraramani sutika-gehe bhela agata
3. sahasra-locana brahma chaturanana shadanana gajabadana pancamukha
unapancashata pabana baruna dhaneshwara a-ola sabhe pa-i bahu sukha
4. nehari pahum mukha bahu-bhagya manala sabhe pranata bha-i pahum carane
kebala shaci-ma-i neharala iha saba ranga su-bihwalita mane
5. shata-candra janu udala sutikalaye debadala anga-abha-rupe
ghanashyama bhana sanandita mana jaga-mugadhala naba-shishu-rupe
1. At the time of purnima-pratipada-sandhi Rahu swallowed the moon in the sky. At that moment another moon the moon of Lord Gaura arose in a maternity-room on the earth a maternity-room that was under a nim tree.
2. Effulgent infant Lord Gaura lit up the room. He shone like a hundred lamps. Leaving Svargaloka the demigods and goddesses came to that maternity-room.
3. Thousand-eyed Indra four-faced Brahma six-faced Karttikeya elephant-faced Ganesha five-faced Shiva the 4¹ Maruts Varuna and Kuvera the master of treasures all came. They were filled with bliss.
4. Gazing at Lord Gaura's face they felt very fortunate at heart. They bowed before Lord Gaura's feet. Gazing at her son mother Shaci was overcome with bliss in her heart.
5. In nthat maternity-=room infant Lord’ Gaura's body shone like a hundred moons. Ghanashyama says: Seeing that newborn infant's glorious form the whole world was enchanted. Every heart was filled with bliss.
Song 4 (Dhanashi-raga)
1. jagannatha mishrera bhabane
baje badya mangala bidhane
2. nari-gane de-i yajakara
bhata-gane pade kayabara
3. (Refrain) shubha-kshane shacira nandana
yajna-sutra karaye dharana
4. yajna-sutra upama ki ane
sukshma-rupe ananta apane
5. kesha-hina mastaka madhuri
kare ba na kare cita curi
6. rakta-basa paridheya bhalo
rushe dasha-disha kare alo
7. catur-dike brahmana samaja
tara majhe gora dwija-raja
8. hate dibya danda-jhuli kandhe
ta dekhi dhairaja keba bandhe
9. bamana abesha besha shohe
bhangite bhubana-mana mohe
10. hasi mridu su-madhura bhashe
bhiksha mage bhakatera pashe
11. sabe cahe prana bhiksha dite
ye de-i taha na bhaya cite
12. deba-nari manushe nisha-i
bhiksha dena canda-mukha ca-i
13. keba ba na nichaye jibana
jaya-dhwani kare sarba-jana
14. bhane ghanashyama mishralaye
sukhera samudra uthalaye
1. In Jagannatha Mishra's house auspicious instrumental-music plays.
2. The ladies have come for the ritual. The poets recite many poems.
3. (Refrain) At an auspicious moment Shaci's son accepts the sacred thread.
4. What other sacred thread is like this one? This sacred thread is Lord Ananta Himself manifest in a very slender form.
5. His head now free of hair the Lord's face is sweet and charming. Does He or does He not rob everyone's heart?
6. He wears saffron garments. He fills the ten directions with light.
7. On four sides is the assembly of brahmanas. In the center is Lord Gaura the king of brahmanas.
8. In His hand and on His shoulder are a brahmacari-danda and a jhuli alms-bag. Seeing Him who can remain peaceful and indifferent?
9. He is glorious like Lord Vamana Himself. His every gesture charms the hearts of all the worlds.
10. Gently smiling He speaks sweet words. Approaching the devotees He begs alms.
11. Everyone gazes at Him. In their hearts they give their life's breath to Him as alms. No fear in their hearts they offer alms to Him.
12. Infiltrating the crowd of human ladies the demigoddesses gaze at Lord Gaura's moonlike face. They also offer alms to Him.
13. Who does not worship Lord Gaura dedicating his whole life to Him? Everyone calls out “Jaya!"
14. Ghanashyama says: An ocean of bliss now floods Jagannatha Mishra's house.
Song 5 (Kamoda-raga)
1. ko kahe aparupa prema-sudha-nidhi
ko-i kahata rasa seha
ko-i kahata iha so-i kalapa-taru
majhu-mane hota sandeha
2. (Refrain) pekhalu gauracandra anupama
yacata yaka mula nahi tri-bhubane
aiche ratana hari-nama
3. yo eka sindhu bindu nahi yacata
manasa abadhi bahuta kalapa-taru
ko achu karuna para
4. yachu caritamrita shruti-pathe sancaru
umada-i nayana adhama-maru bhumahi
5. namahi yan3ka tapa saba medhaye
tahe ki canda-upama
bhana ghanashyama dasa nahi hoyata
koti koti eku thama
1. One person says: “This is an ocean of the wonderful nectar of ecstatic spiritual love.” Another persons says: “This is nectar personified.” Another says: “This is a kalpa-taru tree.” In my heart a doubt now arises.
2. (Refrain) The person I saw is peerless Lord Gaurachandra. He does not ask for anything in the three worlds. He wishes only the jewel of Lord Krishna's holy name.
3. He does not ask for even a single drop of water from the ocean of material happiness. He will accept only the water that falls from the raincloud of spiritual love. He is a kalpa-taru tree that fulfills the desires of every heart. Who is limitlessly merciful like Him?
4. The nectar of His pastimes flows along the pathway of the ears enters the lake of the heart exits from the eyes in the form of tears irrigates the dry land of the limbs and makes to sprout the plants of the bodily hairs standing erect in ecstasy.
5. His holy name cools the burning sufferings of this world. Shall we compare His holy name to the cooling moon? Ghanashyama dasa says: No. His holy name is like millions and millions of moons standing in one place.
Song 6 (Kamoda-raga)
1. aha mari mari dekha ankhi bhari
adwaita ananda-kanda nityananda
chaitanya rasera bhupa
2. jini bidhu-ghata badanera chata
madana garaba hare
lahu lahu hasi sudha rashi rashi
barashe rasera bhare
3. kare jhalamala tilaka ujwala
lalita locana bhuru
kiba bahu shobha muni-mano-lobha
baksha parisara caru
4. gale shobhe bhala nana phula-mala
su-besha basana saje
aruna carana bilasaye ghana-
shyamera hridaya majhe
1. O! O! O! Fill your eyes with this sight! Look at these glorious forms that charm all the worlds! Look at Lord Advaita at Lord Nityananda the root of all bliss and at Lord Chaitanya the king of the nectar of spiritual love!
2. The glories of Their faces eclipse the glistening moon. They take away Kamadeva's pride. Their gentle gentle smiles bring a flood of nectar a monsoon rain of nectar.
3. They are effulgent. Their tilaka markings are glorious. Their eyes and eyebrows are graceful. Their glorious graceful arms rest at the side of Their chests chests that attract the sages’ hearts.
4. On Their necks rests garlands of many different flowers. Their garments are glorious. The reddish soles of their feet gloriously stand in Ghanashyama's heart.