|NITAAI-Veda.nyf > All Scriptures By Acharyas > Biographical Works > Lord Chaitanya Eternal Associates > Sri Kamalakar Piplai;|
Shri Kamalakar Piplai;
"Kamalakar Piplai is said to have been one of the twelve Gopals. His behaviour and love of Godhead were uncommon, and thus he is celebrated all over the world." [C.C.Adi 11.24]
In Krishnalila, he is the cowherd boy, Mahabal.
In Shri Chaitanya Bhagavat he is referred to as Kamalakanta Piplai. It is also stated in the Shripat Parjatan and Baisnab acar darpane that he was present during the Danda Mahotsab at Panihati (Sakabda 1439), and also at the festival at Kheturi, (Sakabda 1504). He was also present at the festival honouring the disappearance of Das Gadadhar at Katwa.
In the fifth chapter of the Antyalila [Chaitanya Bhagavat], where Brindaban das Thakur is describing the associates of Nityananda Prabhu, he mentions that Pandit Kamalakanta was of a very fierce and unrestrained nature. Nityananda bestowed upon him the villages which constitute the subdistrict of Saptagram.
Kamalakar Piplai married later on in life. He had one daughter by the name Bidyunmala debi. It is mentioned in Nityanandabamsabistar that this daughter was later married to Sudhamaya Cattopadhyaya of Mahesh. They had a daughter at Puri, Narayani debi, who was later married to Birabhadra Gosai.
According to Baisnab acar darpana however, the son-in-law of Kamalakar is Yadunandan.
According to the descendants of Kamalakar Piplai at Mahesh, Piplai Mahasoy's daughter's name was Radharani and Kamalakar's younger brother's daughter was named Ramadebi.
According to Shri Prasad das Adhikari, the fourteenth descendant from Kamalakar Piplai, who bases his information on the tradition handed down from generation to generation and records within the temple of Jagannath at Mahesh, Kamalakara Piplai's birthplace was Khalijuli, a village near the Sundorbon jungles. He appeared in a family of Suddhasrotriyararhisreni brahmanas, Batsya gotra, in the year 1414 Sakabda (Bengali year 899). His father was a wealthy jamidar (zamindar). His younger brother's name was Nidhi pati.
The Deity of Jagannath was established by Dhrubananda Brahmacari and the worship was later entrusted to Kamalakar. Kamalakar was ordered in a dream to come there to worship Lord Jagannath. After he came here his brother set out in search of him and finally found him at Mahesh. He tried to persuade his brother to return with him to his home, but being unsuccessful he instead brought all the family members to Mahesh, including the family priest, Candibar Thakur. Mahesh was then a jungle, but due to the presence of Kamalakar it became a beautiful village. Piplai Mahasoy also had a son whose name was Caturbhuj. Kamalakar's daughter, Radharani was married to Kamadeb Pandit of Khardaha, according to the Adhikari family.
According to the Baisnab acara darpan, after giving his daughter in marriage, he went to Brindaban and left his body there.
According to the Adhikari family he passed away in 1485 Sakabda [Bengali year 970]; on the thirteenth day of the bright fortnight in the month of Caitra] at the age of 71. Where and how is not known however. There is no samadhi at Mahesh. The opinions of the Adhikari family do not tally with all the old manuscripts describing this period. There is no record in the family of his association with Nityananda Prabhu.
The fourth descendant in the line was Rajib Locan. During his time, the financial condition of the temple was at a very low state. Therefore the worship of the Deity was not going on very nicely. However, in the Bengali year 1060, the Nawab of Dhaka donated 1185 bighas of land. At that time the village became known as Jagannathpur. It was situated three miles southwest of Mahesh. Then the finance minister of the Nawab, Gauri Caran Ray Chaudhuri of Panihati, made some changes after which there was a dispute regarding payment of taxes. He arranged that Cunakhali Pargana would pay the taxes for Jagannathpur and that property was endowed for the support of the Deity. The present temple was constructed by Nayan Cand Mallick in 1162 (which makes it 235 yrs. old). That family was from Calcutta at Pathuriya Ghat. The previous temple was on the banks of the Ganga but was destroyed due to the shifting of the river.
The present rath (chariot) of Lord Jagannath, constructed of iron, was constructed under the patronage of Krishna Candra Babu Mahasoy in the year 1292 (105 yrs. ago). This required an expenditure of twenty thousand coins. An earlier rath had been reduced to ashes by a fire. The first rath was built by Krishna Ram Basu Dewan, from Syambazaar in Calcutta. When that became old, his son, Guru Caran Basu Dewan, made a new one. In the year 1260 that one also burned. Then his son, Kalacand Basu Ray Bahadur, again built another one. After that the present one was constructed. Lord Jagannatha's Gunja bati was built by Rangamayi Dasi Mallick in 1264. The present descendants of Kamalakar have the title Adhikar.
Kamalakar Piplai's disappearance occurred on the thirteenth day of the bright fortnight in the month of Caitra, in Brajadham.