|NITAAI-Veda.nyf > All Scriptures By Acharyas > Bhaktivinoda Thakura > Sharanagati by Thakura Bhaktivinoda > IV|
1. When in youth for earning money
I felt a bound-less ambition,
By rites of religion my help-mate's hand
I did espouse;
2. Setting up a home in her company
My time long I spent,
Many a son and daughter were born,
My spirit was broken utterly.
3. The burden of family increased day by day;
Under its weight I was forced to halt.
Old age arriving beleagured me,
My mind was always disturbed;
4. Worried by disease, racked by cares,
My heart scared by every want,
Seeing no way in utter darkness
I am now oppressed with fear.
5. The world's strong current does not abate,
The terror of death is nigh:
After finishing worldly duties I shall worship Thee.
That hope is in vain.
6. "Now herken, Oh Lord, I am utterly helpless",
"Without Thy mercy all is despair,
I now crave the shelter of Thy feet".