|NITAAI-Veda.nyf > All Scriptures By Acharyas > Bhaktivinoda Thakura > Sharanagati Surrendered to the Lord Shelter > Fifth Principle of Surrender|
Fifth Principle of Surrender: Bhakti-Pratikula-Bhava Varjanangikara
Renunciation of Conduct Unfavorable to Pure Devotion
- Four Songs -
keshava! tuwa jagata vicitra
karama-vipake, bhava-vana bhrama-i,
pekhalun ranga bahu citra
1) O Keshava! This material creation of Yours is most strange. I have roamed throughout the forest of this universe in consequence of my selfish acts, and I have beheld many curious sights.
tuwa pada-vismriti, a-mara jantrana,
klesha-dahane dohi’ jai
kapila, patanjali, gautama, kanabhoji,
jaimini, bauddha aowe dhai’
2) Forgetfulness of Your lotus feet, which is bitter suffering unto death, burns me with its scorching pain. In this helpless condition my would-be saviors—the sage-philosophers Kapila, Gautama, Kanada, Jaimini, and Buddha—have come running to my aid.ix*
tab koi nija-mate, bhukti, mukti yacato,
pata-i nana-vidha phand
so-sabu—vancaka, tuwa bhakti bahir-mukha,
ghataowe vishama paramad
3) Each expounds his particular view, dangling various pleasures and liberation as bait in their philosophical traps. But all of them are just bogus cheaters, being averse to Your devotional service, and are therefore a source of fatal danger.
vaimukha-vancane, bhata so-sabu,
niramilo vividha pasar
dandavat durato, bhakativinoda bhelo,
bhakata-carana kori’ sar
4) Every one of them are cunning experts of karma, jnana, yoga and tapa who provide various kinds of tempting bait for cheating the souls who are averse to You. Having paid his respects to these cheating philosophers from afar, Bhaktivinoda takes refuge at the feet of Your devotees as the essence of his life.
tuwa-bhakti-pratikula dharma ja’te roy
parama jatane taha tyajibo nishcoy
1) I will assuredly abandon with utmost endeavor all things in which aversion to Your devotional service is inherent.
tuwa-bhakti-bahir-mukha sanga na koribo
gauranga-virodhi-jana-mukha na heribo
2) I will not keep company with those opposed to Your devotional service, nor even look at the faces of those inimical toward Lord Gauranga.
bhakti-pratikula sthane na kori vasati
bhaktira apriya karye nahi kori rati
3) I will never reside at a place unfavorable for devotional practices, and I will never take pleasure in non-devotional activities.
bhaktira virodhi grantha patha na koribo
bhaktira virodhi vyakhya kabhu na shunibo
4) I will read no book opposed to pure devotion, nor listen to any scriptural explanation which counters pure devotional principles.
gauranga-varjita sthana tirtha nahi mani
bhaktira badhaka jnana-karma tuccha jani
5) I will never regard as sacred any place where Lord Gauranga is rejected. All knowledge or action hindering pure devotional service I consider worthless.
bhaktira badhaka kale na kori adar
bhakti bahir-mukha nija-jane jani par
6) Any seasonal observance which poses obstacles to the execution of devotional service finds no favor with me, and I consider as strangers all my own relatives or family members who are averse to devotional service.
bhaktira badhika spriha koribo varjan
abhakta-pradatta anna na kori grahan
7) I will totally abandon all desires that hinder devotion, and I will never touch foodstuffs offered to me by non-devotees.
jaha kichu bhakti-pratikula boli’ jani
tyajibo jatane taha, e nishcoya vani
8) I vow to carefully avoid whatever I know to be contrary to devotional service. This is a most definite proclamation.
bhakativinoda podi’ prabhura carane
magaye shakati pratikulyera varjane
9) Bhaktivinoda falls down at the feet of the Lord and begs for the strength to give up all things that are unfavorable to pure devotion.
vishaya-vimudha ar mayavadi jan
bhakti-shunya dunhe prana dhare akaran
1) One who is intoxicated by worldly affairs of sense gratification, as well as one who subscribes to impersonal philosophy, both maintain their lives uselessly, for they are devoid of devotion to You.
ei dui-sanga natha! na hoy amar
prarthana koriye ami carane tomar
2) I pray at Your lotus feet, O Lord, that I may be spared the company of these two kinds of people.
se duwera madhye vishayi tabu bhalo
mayavadi-sanga nahi magi kono kalo
3) Yet of the two, the association of a worldly man is better. I never covet the company of a mayavadi.
vishayi-hridoya jabe sadhu-sanga pay
anayase labhe bhakti bhaktera kripay
4) When by chance the hearts of worldly persons come into contact with Your saintly devotees, they easily attain devotion by the mercy of the devotees.
mayavada-dosha ja’ra hridoye pashilo
kutarke hridoya ta’ra vajra-sama bhelo
5) But the heart which is penetrated by the offensive influence of impersonal philosophy becomes hard as a thunderbolt by degraded sophistry.
bhaktira swarupa, ara `vishaya’, `ashroy’
mayavadi `anitya’ boliya saba koy
6) The mayavadi declares that the true form of bhakti, its object (Shri Krishna), and its possessor (the devotee) are all transitory and thus illusory.
dhik ta’ra krishna-seva-shravana-kirtan
krishna-ange vajra hane tahara stavan
7) Fie on his pretense of so-called service to Krishna! Fie on his pretense of engaging in so-called hearing and chanting of Krishna’s glories! His recitation of prayers strikes the body of Krishna with blows more cruel than thunderbolts.
mayavada sama bhakti-pratikula nai
ataeva mayavadi-sanga nahi cai
8) There is no philosophy in the world as antagonistic to devotional service as the impersonal mayavada philosophy. Therefore I do not ever desire the association of the mayavadi.
bhakativinoda mayavada dura kori
vaishnava-sangete baise namashraya dhori’
9) Bhaktivinoda drives away the philosophy of impersonalism and sits safely in the society of Vaishnavas under the shelter of Your holy name.
ami to’ swananda-sukhada-basi
1) Oh I am a resident of Svananda-sukhada-kunja, and a maidservant of the lotus feet of Radhika and Madhava.
dunhara milane ananda kori
dunhara viyoge duhkhete mari
2) I happily rejoice at the union of the Divine Couple, and in Their separation I die in utter anguish.
sakhi-sthali nahi heri nayane
dekhile shaibyake paraye mane
3) I never look at the area in Vraja called Sakhi-sthali where Candravali and her friends live. If I were to see that place it reminds me of Candravali’s sharp-tongued gopi friend named Shaibya.
je-je pratikula candrara sakhi
prane duhkha pai tahare dekhi’
4) I feel pain in my heart whenever I happen to catch sight of Candravali’s proud girlfriends, for they are all inimical to Radha’s camp.
radhika-kunja andhara kori’
loite cahe se radhara hari
5) Candravali wants to take away Radha’s Lord Hari, thus causing the love-grove of Radhika to be overcast with the darkness of gloom.
pratikula-jana na heri mukha
6) I never look at the faces of those who wish to obstruct the joy of the union of Shri Radha and Govinda.
radha-pratikula jateka jana-
sambhashane kabhu na hoy mana
7) Nor do I find any pleasure in conversing with those who are members of a camp opposed to Radha.
sanpeche parana ativa jatane
8) Bhaktivinoda has entrusted his soul with great care unto the lotus feet of Shrimati Radharani.Sixth Principle of Surrender: Bhakti-Anukula-Matra Karyera