|NITAAI-Veda.nyf > All Scriptures By Acharyas > Bhaktivinoda Thakura > Gitavali > Gitavali Full|
Please support Dasharatha-suta dasa for his wonderful translations by purchasing
the paper books from http://www.nectarbooks.com/list.htm
"A Collection of
by Shrila Bhaktivinoda Thakura
-Originally published in 1893-
70 Bengali songs specifically composed for loud singing and glorification of the Supreme Lord
Translation by Dasharatha-suta dasa - Fall 1994
udilo aruna puraba-bhage,
dwija-mani gora amani jage,
bhakata-samuha loiya sathe,
1) When the eastern horizon became tinged with the redness that heralds the rising of the sun, the jewel among the twice-born brahmanas, Lord Gaurasundara, immediately awakened. Taking all His devotees with Him, He journeyed through the towns and villages of Nadéya.
'tathai tathai' bajalo
ghana ghana tahe jhanjera rol,
preme dhala dhala sonara anga,
carane nupura baje
2) The mridangas resounded "tathai, tathai" in quick succession while the large jhanjha cymbals chimed in time. Lord Gauranga's golden form trembles again and again in ecstatic love of Godhead, and His footbells jingle.
mukunda madhava yadava
bolena bolo re vadana bhori',
miche nida-bashe gelo re rati,
3) Lord Chaitanya calls out to the townsfolk, "Fill your mouths with the holy names 'Mukunda! Madhava! Yadava! and Hari!' You spend your nights uselessly sleeping and your days decorating your bodies!
paiya ki koro bhava na keho,
ebe na bhajile yashoda-suta,
carame podibe laje
4) "You have achieved this rare human body. Don't you care for this gift? If you do not worship the darling of Mother Yashoda now, then great sorrow awaits you at the time of your death.
udita tapana hoile asta,
dina gelo boli' hoibe byasta,
tabe keno ebe alasa hoy,
na bhaja hridoya-raje
5) "With every rising and setting of the sun, a day passes and is lost. Why then do you remain idle and not serve the Lord of the heart?
jévana anitya janaha sar,
tahe nana-vidha vipada-bhar,
namashraya kori' jatane tumi,
thakaha apana kaje
6) "You should understand this essential fact: Life is temporary and filled wlth various kinds of misery. Therefore, carefully take shelter of the holy name and remain always engaged in His service as your eternal occupation.
jagate asi' e madhura nam,
7) "Desiring to shower benedictions upon all living entities, this sweet name of Krishna has descended to this material universe and shines like the sun in the sky of the heart, destroying the darkness of ignorance."
nama vina kichu nahiko ara,
8) Drink the pure nectar of the holy name of Krishna and thus satisfy the soul of Bhaktivinoda. Except for the holy name there is nothing within all the fourteen worlds.
jév jago, jév jago,
kota nidra yao maya-péshacéra kole
1) "Wake up, sleeping souls! Wake up, sleeping souls!" Lord Gauranga calls, "You have slept so long in the lap of the witch Maya!"
bhajibo boliya ese
bhuliya rohile tumi avidyara bhore
2) "You came into this world saying, 'O my Lord I will certainly worship You,' but having forgotten this promise you remain in great ignorance.
tomare loite ami hoinu
ami vina bandhu ara ke ache tomara
3) "I have descended to this world just to reclaim you. Other than Myself, who else is your true friend?
enechi aushadhi maya
hari-nama maha-mantra lao tumi magi'
4) "I have brought the medicine for destroying the illusion of Maya. Now beg for this hari-nama-maha-mantra and take it."
sei hari-nama-mantra loilo magiya
5) Bhaktivinoda fell at the lotus feet of Lord Gauranga, and after begging for the holy name he indeed received that maha-mantra.
Shré Surabhi-Kunje Shré Gaura-Govinda-arati
The Ceremony of Worshiping Shré Gaura-Govinda at Shré Surabhi Kunja
nadéya-puraba-bhave jau bolihari
1) As I behold the wondrous arati of my Lords Gaura and Gadadhara, I enter into the mood of Their existence previous to appearing in Nadéya (Their Vrindavana léla as Shré Shré Radha and Krishna). It is simply indescribable.
sabu sakhé-beshtita kishora-kishoré
2) Underneath a desire-tree, seated upon a jeweled throne, the ever-youthful couple named Kishora and Kishoré are surrounded by all of Their gopé friends.*
jhamaki' jhamaki' labhe prati-anga-jyotih
3) Shré Radhika and Lord Govindajé are decorated with many shining jewels and pearls inlaid with gold artwork, enhancing the sparkling splendor of each and every limb of Their transcendental forms.
néla nérada lagi'
duhun anga mili' shobha bhuvana-ujala
4) The meeting of Their two bodily forms has generated a luster that brightens all the worlds, and may be compared to a garland of lightning (Radha) fixed upon a dark blue raincloud (Krishna).
shankha baje, ghanta
baje, baje karatala
madhura mridanga baje parama rasala
5) On the occasion of Their meeting there is a concert produced by the sounding of conchshells, bells, karatalas and mridangas. Such kértana is supremely sweet and relishable to hear.
duhun guna gaowe
priya-narma-sakhé-gana camara dhulaowe
6) The cowherd damsels of Vrindavana led by Vishakha Devé sing the glories of the Divine Couple while the priya-narma-sakhés cool Their Lordships by waving camara fans.
malatéra mala rupa manjaré lagaowe
7) Ananga Manjaré offers Them sandalwood pulp scented with cuya while Rupa Manjaré places a garland of jasmine flowers about Their necks.
lalita-sundaré kore jugala-arati
8) The beautiful Lalita Sundaré holds a lamp of five flames scented with camphor and waves it aloft, offering arati to the Divine Couple.
gopé-jana-adhikara raowata gaowe
9) Parvaté, Lakshmé, and the personified Vedas cry in great happiness while rolling on the ground and singing of the fortunate position of the damsels of Vraja-bhumi.
arati-darashane prema-sukha bhunje
10) Bhaktivinoda resides at Surabhi Kunja in the land of Godruma-dwépa, relishing the joy of divine love at the sight of this beautiful arati.
The Ceremony of Worshiping Lord Gauranga
jaya jaya goracander
1) All glories, all glories to the beautiful arati ceremony of Lord Gaurachandra in a grove on the banks of the Jahnavé river! This Gaura-arati is attracting the minds of all living entities in the universe.
dakshine nitai-cand, vame
nikate advaita, shrénivasa chatra-dhara
2) On Lord Chaitanya's right side is Lord Nityananda, and on His left is Shré Gadadhara. Before Him stands Shré Adwaita, and Shrévasa Thakura holds an umbrella over Lord Chaitanya's head.
arati korena brahma-adi deva-gane
3) Lord Chaitanya is seated upon a jewelled throne while the demigods headed by Lord Brahma perform the arati ceremony.
narahari-adi kori' camara
4) Narahari Sarakara and other associates fan Him with yak-tail whisks as Sanjaya Pandita, Mukunda Datta and Vasu Ghosha sing sweet kértan along with the other devotees for Lord Chaitanya's pleasure.
shankha baje ghanta baje
madhura mridanga baje parama rasala
5) Conchshells resound, bells clang, karatals ring and the mridangas play very sweetly in that kértan, so melodious and relishable to hear.
bahu-koti candra jini'
gala-deshe vana-mala kore jhalamala
6) The brilliance of Lord Chaitanya's face conquers millions upon millions of moons, and the garland of forest flowers around His neck shines.
bhakativinoda dekhe gorara sampada
7) Lord Shiva, Shukadeva Goswamé and Narada Muni are all there, and their voices are choked with the ecstasy of transcendental love. Thus Bhaktivinoda envisions the glory of Lord Gaurachandra.
The Ceremony of Worshiping the Divine Couple
jaya jaya radha-krishna
arati karowe lalitadi sakhé-gana
1) All glories, all glories to the meeting of the transcendental pair, Shré Shré Radha and Krishna! The assembly of gopés, headed by Lalita, perform the arati ceremony for Their pleasure.
2) The beautiful three-fold bending form of Krishna, who is the attractor of Cupid, dressed in a yellow silk dhoté and wearing a crown decorated with the feathers of a peacock, is simply captivating to the mind.
sunéla-vasana gauré rupe gune dhanya
3) Sitting to the left of the charming Lord Madhava is the beautiful daughter of King Vrishabhanu, dressed in a lovely deep blue saré. Her complexion is the color of molten gold, and all the characteristics of Her beauty and qualities are highly praiseworthy.
nana-vidha alankara kore
hari-mano-vimohana vadana ujjvala
4) She is decorated with various shimmering, sparkling ornaments. Her face is so splendrous that it enchants the mind of Lord Hari.
nana rage gaya
priya-narma-sakhé jata camara dhulaya
5) All the gopés headed by Vishakha sing many beautiful songs in various tunes, while the topmost class of gopés known as the priya-narma-sakhés soothe Radha and Krishna by waving camara fans.
bhakativinoda sakhé-pade sukhe bhase
6) Hoping to attain the lotus feet of Radhika and Madhava, Bhaktivinoda happily swims in the ocean of bliss found at the feet of the damsels of Vraja Dhama.
Shré Surabhi-Kunjera Shré Bhoga-arati
The Ceremony of Offering Foodstuffs for the Noon Meal at Shré Surabhi-Kunja
shré-gaurahari sohi goshtha-biharé,
1) Just worship Shré Gaurahari, who is always very affectionate to His devotees. Shré Gaurahari of Navadvépa is Himself Krishna of Vrindavana, the same personality who has stolen the hearts of Nanda Maharaja and Mother Yashoda.
bela ha'lo, damodara, aiso
bhoga-mandire basi' karoha bhojana
2) Mother Yashoda calls to Krishna: "My dear Damodara! It is now very late! Please come and sit down in the dining hall to take Your lunch!"
nandera nideshe baise
baladeva-saha sakha baise sari sari
3) On the direction of Nanda Maharaja, the holder of Govardhana Hill along with His elder brother Shré Baladeva and all their cowherd boyfriends sit down in rows to take lunch.
dali dalna dugdha-tumbé dadhi moca-khanda
4) They are served a feast of shukta, various kinds of green leafy vegetables, then nice savories, a salad made of the green leaves of the jute plant, pumpkin, baskets of fruit, small square cakes made of lentils and cooked-down milk, then squash cooked with milk, thick yogurt and vegetable preparations made with the flowers of the banana tree.
shashkulé pishtaka khér puli payasanna
5) Then they have fried squares of mung dahl and urad dahl patties, capatés, and rice with ghee. Next they have sweetmeats made with milk, sugar and sesamum, rice flour cakes, thick cooked-down milk, sweet rolls, and sweet-rice.
karpura amrita-keli rambha
amrita rasala, amla dvadasha prakara
6) There is also sweet-rice tasting just like nectar due to its being mixed with camphor. There are bananas and cheese, which is nectarean and delicious, and luscious mangoes. They are also served twelve kinds of sour preparations made with tamarinds, limes, lemons, oranges and pomegranates.
luci cini sarpuré laddu
bhojana korena krishna ho'ye kutuhalé
7) There are purés made with flour and white powdered sugar, purés filled with cream, laddus, and dahl patties boiled in sugared rice. Being very eager, Krishna eats all of the prasad.
radhikara pakka anna
parama anande krishna korena bhojana
8) Krishna feels the greatest ecstasy and joy when He eats the various curries, sweets and pastries cooked by Shré Radhika.
chale-bale laddu khay
bagala bajay ara deya hari-bolo
9) Krishna's funny brahmana friend Madhumangala gets ladòus to eat by hook or by crook. When Madhumangala eats the laòòus he shouts, "Give me more! Haribol!" and makes a funny sound by slapping his sides under his armpits with his hands.
radhikadi gane heri'
tripta ho'ye khay krishna yashoda-bhavane
10) Beholding Radhika and Her gopé friends out of the corners of His eyes, Krishna dines at the house of Mother Yashoda with great satisfaction.
bhojanante piye krishna
sabe mukha prakshaloy ho'ye sari sari
11) After lunch, Krishna drinks sweet rose-scented water. Then all His friends, standing in lines, wash their mouths.
anande vishrama kore baladeva-sane
12) After all the cowherd boys wash their hands and mouths, they take rest with Lord Baladeva in great bliss.
jambula rasala ane
taha kheye krishna-candra sukhe nidra gela
13) Krishna's servants named Jambula and Rasala provide betel nuts dressed with fancy spices. Chewing the pan, Krishna-candra then happily goes to sleep.
apurva shayyaya krishna sukhe nidra jaya
14) While Krishna contentedly takes His rest upon an excellent bedstead, His servant Vishalaksha cools Him by gently waving a fan of peacock feathers.
shré-krishna-prasada radha bhunje ho'ye préto
15) Receiving the order of Mother Yashoda, the gopé Dhanishtha brings remnants of food left on Shré Krishna's plate to Radha, who takes them with great delight.
mane mane sukhe radha-krishna-guna gaya
16) Lalita-devé and the other gopés then receive the remnants of Radha, and within their heart-of-hearts they sing the glories of Radha and Krishna with great joy.
bhogarati gay thakur bhakativinoda
17) Thus Bhaktivinoda, whose only joy is the wonderful pastimes of Lord Hari, sings this Bhoga-arati song.
aaa[The first song is to be sung before honoring the Lord's prasäd ]
sharéra avidyä-jäl, joòendriya tähe käl,
jéve phele vishaya-sägore
tä'ra madhye jihvä ati, lobhamoy sudurmati,
tä'ke jetä kathina samsäre
1) O brothers! This material body is a network of ignorance, and the senses are one's deadly enemies, for they throw the soul into the ocean of material sense enjoyment. Among the senses, the tongue is the most voracious and verily wicked; it is very difficult to conquer the tongue in this world.
doyämoy, koribäre jihvä jäy,
swa-prasäd-anna dilo bhäi
sei annämrita päo, rädhä-krishna-guna gäo,
preme òäko chaitanya-nitäi
2) O brothers! Lord Krishna is very merciful-just to control the tongue He has given us the remnants of His own food! Now please eat these nectarean grains while singing the glories of Their Lordships Shré Shré Rädhä and Krishna, and in love call out "Chaitanya! Nitäi!"
[The next two songs are to be sung while honoring the Lord's prasäd]
eka-dina shäntipure, prabhu adwaitera ghare,
dui prabhu bhojane bosilo
shäk kori' äswädana, prabhu bole bhakta-gana,
ei shäk krishna äswädilo
1) O brothers! One day at Shré Advaita's house in shäntipura, the two Lords-Chaitanya and Nityänanda-were seated for lunch. Lord Chaitanya tasted the green leafy vegetable preparation and addressed the assembly of His devotees, "This shäk is so delicious! Lord Krishna has definitely tasted it.
heno shäk-äswädane, krishna-prema aise mane,
sei preme koro äswädana
jaòa-buddhi parihari', prasäd bhojana kori',
'hari hari' bolo sarva jan
2) "At the taste of shäk like this, love of Krishna arises in the heart. In such love you should taste these remnants. Giving up all materialistic conceptions and taking the Lord's prasäd, all of you just chant 'Hari! Hari!'" [for more details of this pastime, see Chaitanya Bhägavata, Antya 4.234-299]
shacér angane kabhu, mädhavendra-puré prabhu,
prasädänna korena bhojan
khäite khäite tä'ra, äilo prema sudurbär,
bole, shuno sannyäséra gan
1) O brothers! Mädhavendra Puré Prabhu sometimes honored prasäd in the courtyard of Mother Shacé. While eating and eating he would become overwhelmed by symptoms of ecstatic love of God. Once he addressed the renunciates who were accompanying him, "O assembled sannyäsés! Just listen to this:
shacé-mätä korilo randhan
tä'ra shuddhä bhakti heri', bhojana korilo hari,
sudhä-sama e anna-byanjan
2) "Mother Shacé has cooked many varieties of prasäd, such as semi-solid delicacies made with banana flower, a special dahl preparation, baskets of fruits, small square cakes made of lentils and cooked-down milk, among others. Seeing her pure devotion, Lord Krishna personally ate all these preparations, which are just like nectar.
yoge yogé päy jähä, bhoge äj ha'be tähä,
'hari' boli' khäo sabe bhäi
krishnaera prasäd-anna, tri-jagat kore dhanya,
tripuräri näce jähä päi'
3) "O brothers! All the results that the mystic yogés obtain by the diligent practice of yoga will be obtained today by taking these remnants of the Lord. Everyone come and eat the prasäd of Lord Hari and shout His holy name! The three worlds are made glorious by the presence of the foodgrains left by Lord Krishna. Even Lord Tripuräri dances in great joy on obtaining that prasäd.*"
[This fourth song is to be sung while eating the Lord's sweets]
shré-chaitanya nityänanda, shréväsädi bhakta-vrinda,
gaurédäsa panòiter ghare
luci, cini, khér, sär, mithäi, päyass ära,
pithä-päna äsvädan kore
1) O brothers! Lord Chaitanya, Lord Nityänanda, and Their devotees headed by Shréväsa Thäkura relish different varieties of prasäd at the home of Gaurédäsa Panòita. They take purés made with white flour and sugar, khéra, solid cream, sweets, sweet-rice, and a kind of cake and condensed-milk preparation.
äjnä dilo korite bhojan
krishnaera prasäd-anna, bhojane hoiyä dhanya,
'krishna' boli' òäke sarva-jan
2) Shré Chaitanya Mahäprabhu, in great ecstasy, gave the order to all of His devotees to eat. Becoming very fortunate by taking the prasäd of Lord Krishna, everyone chants aloud, "Krishna! Krishna!"
[This fifth song is to be sung while honoring the Lord's khicuré ]
eka-dina néläcale, prasäd-sevana-käle,
bolilen bhakta-gane, khecaränna shuddha-mane,
sevä kori' hao äj dhanya
1) O brothers! One day in Jagannätha Puré, at the time of honoring the Lord's prasäd, Mahäprabhu Shré Krishna Chaitanya said to all the devotees, "May you become blessed on this day by honoring the khicuré of the Lord in a pure state of mind.
pithä-pänä, apurva prasäda nänä,
jagannätha dilo tomä sabe
äkantha bhojana kori', bolo mukhe 'hari hari',
avidyä-durita nähi robe
2) "Lord Jagannätha has given you varieties of extraordinary and wonderful prasäd, such as khicuré and pithä-pänä (a type of cake and condensed-milk preparation). Therefore, take all of this prasäd until you are filled up to the neck, and with your voices chant 'Hari! Hari!' In such a transcendental atmosphere, ignorance and sin cannot remain.
jagannätha-prasädänna, virinci-shambhura mänya,
khäile prema hoibe udoy
emona durlabha dhana, päiyächo sarva-jana,
jaya jaya jagannätha jay
3) "These prasäd foodgrains of Lord Jagannätha are worshipable even by Lord Brahmä and Lord Shiva. Upon the eating of it, love of God arises within the heart. All of you have obtained such a rare treasure. All glories! All glories! All glories to Lord Jagannätha!"
[This sixth song is to be sung while honoring the Lord's bäla-bhoga ]
räma-krishna gocärane, jaibena dura vane,
eto cinti' yashodä-rohiné
khér, sär, chänä, nané, du'jane khäowäno äni',
vätsalye änanda mane gani'
1) O brothers! Mother Yashodä and Mother Rohiné were thinking, "Today our two boys, Balaräma and Krishna, will go to a distant forest to tend Their cows." Contemplating thus in the ecstasy of parental affection, they prepared a wonderful feast for the two boys, consisting of khéra, solid cream, curd, and fresh yellow butter.
räkhäla-gane, khäy räma-krishna-sane,
näce gäy änanda-antare
krishnaera prasäda khäy, udara bhoriyä jäy,
'ära deo' 'ära deo' kore
2) All the cowherd boyfriends take lunch with Balaräma and Krishna while dancing and singing in ecstasy. They eat the remnants of Krishna's meal until their bellies are full, and still exclaim, "Give us more! Give us more!"
The Lord's Order to Process Around Town and Chant
patiyäche näm-hatta jévera kärana
1) In the land of Nadéyä, on the island of Godruma, the magnanimous Lord Nityänanda has opened up the Marketplace of the Holy Name, meant for the deliverance of all fallen souls.
(shraddhävän jan he,
shraddhävän jan he)
prabhura äjnäy, bhäi, mägi ei bhikshä
bolo 'krishna,' bhajo krishna, koro krishna-shikshä
2) O men of faith! O men of faith! By the order of Lord Gauränga, O brothers, I beg this one request: Chant "Krishna!", worship Krishna, and follow Krishna's instructions.
krishna mätä, krishna pitä, krishna dhana-prän
3) Being careful to remain free of offenses, just take the holy name of Krishna. Krishna is your mother, Krishna is your father, and Krishna is the treasure of your life.
krishnaera samsära koro
jéve doyä, krishna-näm-sarva-dharma-sär
4) Giving up all improper behavior, carry on your worldly duties only in relation to Krishna. The showing of compassion to all fallen souls by loudly chanting the holy name of Krishna is the essence of all forms of religion.
Purport to the Song Äjnä-Tahal
"Patrolling On the Lord's Command"
by Bhaktivinoda Thäkura
Bengali prose from the Sixth Chapter of Vaishnava-Siddhänta-Mälä
patiyäche näm-hatta jéver käran
In the land of Nadéyä, on the island of Godruma, the magnanimous Lord Nityänanda has opened up the Marketplace of the Holy Name, meant for the deliverance of all fallen souls.
Purport by Bhaktivinoda Thäkura
'nadéyä'-this word indicates shré Navadvépa-Dhäm, the abode formed of nine islands. 'godrume'-of these nine islands, one is known as Godruma (the modern-day district of Gädigächä). 'nityänanda mahäjan'-Çré Mahäprabhu displayed His mercy toward the jévas tortured by Kali-yuga by ordering Çré Nityänanda Prabhu to preach the holy name (näm-prachär) from home to home; therefore Çré Nityänanda Prabhu is verily the Mula Mahäjan or the chief proprietor of the Näm Hatöa located at Godruma. Even though all the employees of the Näm Haööa are qualified for performing äjnä-öahal, the 'Patrol According to the Lord's Order', still the great mahäshays, who are like patrolling watchmen, are especially empowered to render these duties in an entirely selfless manner. Above all the rest, Prabhu Nityänanda and patrolman Haridäs Thäkura have each exhibited the glories of this post in their own unique ways. If one goes out on patrol with hopes of simply collecting milk and rice, then that is not the pure form of äjnä-öahal.
(shraddhävän jan he,
shraddhävän jan he)
prabhur äjnäy, bhäi, mägi ei bhikshä
bolo 'krishna,' bhajo krishna, koro krishna-shikshä
O people of faith! O people of faith! By the order of Lord Gauränga, O brothers, I beg these three requests of you: Chant "Krishna!", worship Krishna, and teach others about Krishna.
Purport by Bhaktivinoda Thäkura
The mahäshay on patrol plays his karatäls and calls out, "O people of faith! I do not wish to beg from you any worldly thing or mundane favor. The only alms I beg is that all of you honor the order of the Lord by chanting the name of Krishna, worshiping Krishna, and teaching others about Krishna. Just invoke the true name of Krishna. Specifically, by giving up nämäbhäsa (a hint of the name due to offenses) please chant the purely spiritual (chinmoy) holy name of the Lord." There are two kinds of nämäbhäsa-chäyä-nämäbhäsa (shadow of the name) and pratibimba-nämäbhäsa (reflection of the name). The chäyä-nämäbhäsa naturally becomes the pure holy name that bestows all divine perfections, but in a gradual manner. This is because even though one may be situated in the darkness of ignorance, one is still not distracted by desires for bhoga (material sense gratification) and moksha (impersonal liberation), which are both unfavorable for executing devotional service. When devotees who are not knowledgeable in spiritual truth first of all persist in trying to chant this kind of nämäbhäsa in the company of sädhus, by the power of that association they become learned in the mellows of näm-rasa and thus become capable of singing the shuddha-näm, the purely transcendental holy name of the Lord. Those devotees are also very fortunate.
For those who attempt chanting the holy name while still desirous of enjoying the fruits of either material endeavors or impersonal liberation, the holy name appears to them as the mere reflection known as pratibimba-nämäbhäsa. Such persons easily receive their insignificant cherished boons from the Lord's name, but they are unable to attain the shuddha-näm-chintämani-the touchstone of the pure holy name. This is because they are incapable of naturally renouncing their desires for things opposed to the execution of pure devotional service, specifically the things related to bhoga and moksha. In special circumstances, according to the arising of good fortune, one may reject desires for bhoga and moksha by the mercy of a devotee or the Lord directly, thus becoming of non-duplicious heart (akaitava hridoy), and in this way take full shelter of the pure holy name; but that is very rare.
O people of faith! To give up nämäbhäsa and sing the shuddha-näm is verily the only true welfare of the jévas. Please worship Lord Krishna by chanting and chanting Krishna-näma. Perform bhajan by engaging in shravana, kértana, smarana, sevana, archana, vandana, däsya, sakhya, and ätma-nivedana. Execute that bhajan either on the path of vidhi-märga or räga-märga, according to your specific adhikära. If your ruchi is for the vidhi-märga, then accept appropriate instructions for worship (bhajan-tattva) at the feet of Çré Guru, and upon the annihilation of all the anarthas that beset the jéva, please observe the person of Lord Krishna. Or, if you have the transcendental greed (lobha) for traversing the räga-märga, then emulate the love and character of an eternal vraja-väsé or vraja-väsiné, and according to that befitting ruchi just engage in the worship of the mellows of Vraja. Being absorbed in that vraja-rasa-bhajan, obtaining the mercy of a guru who is appropriately qualified in that transcendental realm, one thus gains eternal residence in Vraja by awakening their own spiritual form (chinmoy-svarupa), and in that form they will achieve the ultimate beatitude of rendering sevä to Çré Krishna.
krishna mätä, krishna pitä, krishna dhana-prän
Being careful to remain free of offenses, just take the holy name of Lord Krishna. Krishna is your mother, Krishna is your father, and Krishna is the treasure of your life.
Purport by Bhaktivinoda Thäkura
The word 'aparädha' indicates the ten offenses against chanting the holy names of the Lord, listed as follows:
(1) Envy of the Vaishnavas and blasphemy of the Vaishnavas. (2) Thinking that other demigods like Çiva are supreme controllers separate from Lord Krishna. It should be known that the various devatäs are the vibhutis or expanded energies of Lord Krishna; with this understanding, the fault of considering them to be different than Krishna, or thinking that there are numerous Supreme Lords, will cease. (3) Disregard for the spiritual master. There are two kinds of guru-the dékshä-guru and the shikshä-guru. One should have faith in the words of the guru, and one should consider him to be a specific manifestation of Krishna, or else Krishna's eternally dear, pure truth (nitya-preshöha shuddha-tattva). (4) Blasphemy of the revealed scriptures (shruti-shästra). The shruti-shästras comprise all the following: the Vedas; the Puränas and dharma-shästras that supplement the Vedas; the Bhagavad-gétä-shästra, which is the embodiment of the Vedic siddhänta; the Brahma-sutra, which is the manifestation of the Vedic mémämsä-darshana; the Çrémad-bhägavata, which is the purport (bhäshya) of the Brahma-sutra; the expansions of the Vedas such as the itihäsas (histories) and various sätvata-tantras (esoteric worship manuals in the mode of goodness); and finally, all the bhakti-shästras written by numerous mahäjans which represent extensive commentaries on all the above-mentioned scriptures. One must have particular faith in all these shästras. (5) Interpretation of the name of Hari; in other words, concluding that the glories of the holy name (näm-mähätmya) as recorded in the scriptures are merely exaggerated praises. (6) Conducting sinful activities on the strength of chanting the holy name. By chanting the holy name of the Lord with faith, one's previous sinful reactions are destroyed, and one has no taste to commit further sinful actions. But if one desires to commit sins with the hope that the holy name will afterwards eradicate them, then that is an offense. (7) When one wishes that the holy name will bestow rewards of bhoga or moksha, considering the name to be equal to pious actions like dharma (religiosity), vrata (following vows), or tyäga (renunciation)-then he is an offender unto the holy name (nämäparädhé). (8) It is an offense to give the holy name to others who are faithless, and to those who are averse or disinclined to hear about it. Instructions on hari-näm should not be given to those whose faith will not be kindled; the glories of the holy name (näm-mähätmya) should be spoken only to those whose shraddhä may arise. (9) To not have full faith or taste even after hearing about the glories of the holy name. (10) It is an offense for persons who are full of a sense of false egotism and possessiveness (ahamtä-mamatä) to engage in the practice of chanting hari-näm. When one considers the material body to be the self, and develops false vanity based on such a body, imagining material objects to be one's own property and thereby becoming attached to them, then such a person naturally commits hari-nämäparädha. This is because he is cheated from the knowledge that the sädhya (the goal) as well as the sädhana (the practice for reaching that goal) are both spiritual.
O people of faith! Remaining free of these ten offenses, just worship Lord Krishna. Only Krishna is the jéva's mother, father, offspring, wealth, husband, and life-treasure. The jéva is a spiritual ray (chit-kana), Krishna is the spiritual sun (chit-surya), and the material world is the jéva's prison. Truly the pastimes of Krishna, which lie beyond the material realm, are your factual riches to be sought.
krishnera samsära koro
jéve doyä, krishna-näm-sarva-dharma-sär
Giving up all sinful activities, carry on your worldly duties only in relation to Lord Krishna. The showing of compassion to other souls by loudly chanting the holy name of Krishna is the essence of all forms of religion.
Purport by Bhaktivinoda Thäkura
O faithful jéva! You have turned away from Krishna and then suffered the experience of so-called happiness and distress in the realm of mäyika-samsära. This situation is not befitting you. As long as you remain bound to the wheel of karma as a result of your faulty aversion to Krishna, please accept one transcendental remedy. If you are inclined toward the path of pravritti (positive use of material situations), then just become a grihastha, brahmachäré, or vänaprastha; or if you are inclined to the path of nivritti (renunciation of material situations), then just be a sannyäsé. But in whatever position you find yourself, please give up all anäcär (sinful activities), while offering your body, home, wife, children, and wealth unto Çré Krishna. Living in Krishna's world, perform all your actions by dovetailing your senses and mind with topics of Krishna, and with a heart purified of envious aversion pass the journey of life. The supreme nectar (paramämrita) of favorable service rendered unto Lord Krishna will gradually become thickened until it breaks through your two bodies-the gross (sthula) and the subtle (linga)-and will finally cause your eternal spiritual form (apräkrita svarupa) to again awaken.
All the following things come under the heading of unfavorable actions, performed either by oneself or by society: theft, speaking lies, cheating, hostility, lust, inflicting bodily harm, duplicious politics, and so forth. Abandoning all these, just resort to pious means and spend your life in Krishna's world. The ultimate statement is this-showing mercy to all living beings, living a pure lifestyle, just chant the holy name of Krishna. There is no difference whatsoever between Krishna-näm and Lord Krishna Himself. By the mercy of the holy name, Krishna in the form of His names, forms, attributes and pastimes (näm, rupa, guna, and lélä) will personally reveal Himself to the vision of the eyes of your siddha-svarupa (spiritual body). Truly in a few days your chit-svarupa will awaken and will remain floating in the ocean of eternally sweet Krishna-prema.
-Another related essay by
Bengali prose from the Third Chapter of Vaishnava-Siddhänta-Mälä
"The Divine Command of Çré Godruma-Candra"
apära-rasa-payonidhi akhila-rasämrita-murti gauòa-jana-citta-cakora-sudhäkara shré-shré-shacé-nandana mahäprabhu
Çré Chaitanya Mahäprabhu, who is an ocean of limitless transcendental rasa, who is the embodiment of all nectarean mellows, who is the ambrosia-producing moon attracting the chakora-bird minds of the Bengali devotees, who is the dear son of Mother Çacé... one day showed His mercy to all created beings by giving the following command to Çréman Nityänanda Prabhu and Çré Haridäsa Thäkura. As recorded in the Çré Chaitanya-Bhägavata, Madhya-Khanòa (13.8-10):
shuno shuno nityänanda,
sarvatra ämär äjnä koroho prakäsh
prati ghare ghare giyä
koro ei bhikshä
bolo 'krishna', bhajo krishna, koro krishna-shikshä
ihä bai är nä bolibä,
dina-avasäne äsi' ämäre kohibä
"Listen, listen, Nityänanda! Listen, Haridäsa! Make My command known everywhere! Go from house to house and beg from all the residents, 'Please chant Krishna's name, worship Krishna, and teach others to follow Krishna's instructions.' Do not speak, or cause anyone to speak, anything other than this."
In order to carry out this command, Prabhu Nityänanda and Thäkura Haridäsa took the help of other devotees and went from house to house preaching the glories of the holy name. In the series of statements-bolo 'krishna', bhajo krishna, koro krishna-shikshä-there are three different commands evident. The meaning of the command bolo krishna is: "He jéva! Always chant the name of Krishna." The meaning of bhajo krishna is: "He jéva! Cause the flower of the holy name to blossom into the expanding petals of Krishna's rupa, guna, and lélä, and thus enjoy that flower-like näm." The meaning of the command koro krishna-shikshä is: "He Krishna-bhaktas! Become endowed with the knowledge of sambandha-abhidheya-prayojana, and relish the supreme rasa which is the honey-nectar of that name-flower." In this chapter, we will give an explanation, to some extent, of the first command. Later in other chapters I will endeavor to give specific explanations of the second and third commands.
Mahäprabhu's order is simply this-that everyone should incessantly chant harinäm. Incessantly chant harinäm-the meaning of this command is not that people should always chant the holy name while completely desisting from all bodily activities, household duties, and dealings with others. By ceasing all actions of bodily maintenance, the body will be destroyed in a short while. In the context of this command, then, how should one engage in harinäm? Since the Lord gave humanity the command to incessantly take the holy name, then the true meaning is that everyone, whether grihastha or sannyäsé, vänaprastha or brahmachäré, brähmana or kshatriya, vaishya or shudra, low-born or mleccha, and so forth-all people should remain in their respective situations and chant harinäm. Verily this is the only meaning. It is necessary to nicely remain in one's own natural situation because that position facilitates the proper performance of one's activities for bodily maintenance, and thus the body will not expire untimely. Bodily maintenance requires dealing with others. It is essential that all such actions be observed in a pure and undisturbed fashion. Then all of these things will be conducted very nicely. When Çré Nityänanda Prabhu was preaching the first command of Çréman Mahäprabhu, He spoke in the following manner:
kohena prabhur äjnä òäkiyä òäkiyä
bhajo krishna, loho krishna näm
krishna mätä, krishna pitä, krishna dhana-prän
tomä sabä lägiyä krishner
heno krishna bhaja, saba chäòo anäcär"
Nityänanda and Haridäsa repeated the Lord's command by calling out to everyone, "Chant Krishna, worship Krishna, and accept Krishna's holy name from others. Krishna is your mother, Krishna is your father, and Krishna is the treasure of your life-breath. Krishna has incarnated just for your benefit, so please worship this merciful Krishna and give up all sinful activities."
(Çré Chaitanya Bhägavata, Madhya 13.82-84)
After receiving the command to preach the holy name (näm-prachär), Prabhu Nityänanda and Thäkura Haridäsa went from village to village, house to house, and began proclaiming, "He jéva! Lord Krishna is verily the life of your life, and Lord Krishna's name is verily the treasure of your life. All of you please deliberate incessantly on that holy name. Living thus absorbed, the only other thing of concern is to see that no sinful behavior contaminates your actions of bodily or household maintenance." The meaning of the word anäcär is asadäcär, or activities of impious nature. There are many different types of sinful behavior that are classified as asadäcär or anäcär, such as: speaking lies, thievery, wantonness, doing harm to others, killing any living being, disrespect for superiors, and so forth. Çré Nityänanda Prabhu has personally explained the meaning of the word anäcär as follows (Çré Chaitanya Bhägavata, Antya-Khanòa 5.685-686):
shuno dvija, jateka
pätaka kaili tui
är jadi nä koris, saba nimu mui
chäòo giyä ihä tumi, nä koriho är
"Listen, O brähmana! You have performed many sinful actions. If you abstain from committing these any further, then I forgive them. Doing harm to others, committing theft-all these things constitute sinful behavior. Now give up such actions, and do them no more."
While repeating the command to engage in chanting harinäm, Lord Nityänanda gives negative advice regarding abstention from anäcär or impious activities; the counterpart of this is to give instructions on chanting harinäm while offering positive advice for performing sadäcär or pious activities (5.687-688):
dharma pathe giyä tumi
tabe tumi anyere koribä pariträn
jata saba dasyu cora
dharma-pathe sabäre laoyäo tumi giyä
"Embarking upon the path of dharma, chant the holy name of Lord Hari. Then you will also deliver others. Now please go and call as many thieves and criminals that you can; gathering them together, cause them to similarly adhere to the path of dharma."
Nityänanda Prabhu said, "He vipra! Just give up the path of irreligiosity (adharma) once and for all. Do not perform any further sinful actions. However, by renouncing adharma alone you should not live carelessly, but rather make a positive endeavor to accept the path of dharma." The principles of dharma are described in the Çrémad-Bhägavatam as follows (7.11.8-12):
satyam dayä tapah shaucam
titikshekshä shamo damah
ahimsä brahmacaryan ca tyägah svädhyäya ärjjavam
nrinäm viparyayehekshä maunam ätma-vimarshanam
bhutebhyash ca yathärhatah
teshv ätma-devatä-buddhih sutaräm nrishu pänòava
shravanam kértanan cäsya
smaranam mahatäm gateh
sevejyävanatir däsyam sakhyam ätma-samarpanam
nrinäm ayam paro dharmah
trimshal-lakshanavän räjan sarvätmä yena tushyati
Närada said, "He Yudhishöhira! The following thirty types of religious duties should be performed by those who have obtained the human form of life: truthfulness (satya), compassion (dayä), exertion in pious austerities (tapa), cleanliness (shauca), tolerance (titikshä), seeing [discernment of what is proper or improper] (ékshä), mental restraint (shama), sense control (dama), non-violence (ahimsä), celibacy (brahmacarya), renunciation [giving in charity] (tyäga), study of the Vedas (svädhyäya), simplicity (ärjava), satisfaction (santosha), service of saintly persons who have equal vision (sama-drik-sevä), gradual detachment from worldly household life (grämyehoparama shanaih), deliberation on the degradation of fallen worldly souls (nrinäm viparyayehekshä), abstinence of useless topics of conversation (mauna), searching for the true self as different from the material body (ätma-vimarshana), distribution of grains and other foodstuffs to appropriate recipients (annädyädeh samvibhägo bhutebhyash ca yathärhatah), seeing all living beings in relationship to Krishna, and especially those in the human form (teshv ätma-devatä-buddhih sutaräm nrishu), hearing topics of Lord Hari (shravana), chanting His glories (kértana), remembrance (smarana), rendering service (sevä), offering worship (pujä), offering prayers (vandana), becoming a servant (däsya), becoming His friend (sakhya), and offering unto Him the totality of one's very being (ätma-samarpana). O King, these qualifications must be acquired by human beings, for this satisfies the Supreme Lord, the Supersoul of all."
O brothers! For the purpose of passing your lives nicely, please desire to engage in these activities that constitute the principles of dharma. Just behave honestly in this way, and incessantly remain absorbed in harinäm-this is my only advice to you.
gäy gorä madhur sware
hare krishna hare krishna krishna krishna hare hare
hare räma hare räma räma räma hare hare
1) Lord Gaurasundara sings in a very sweet voice-Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare / Hare Räma, Hare Räma, Räma Räma, Hare Hare.
grihe thäko, vane thäko,
sadä 'hari' bole' òäko,
sukhe duhkhe bhulo nä'ko, vadane hari-näm koro re
2) Whether you are a family person living at home or a sannyäsé living in the forest, constantly chant and call out "Hari! Hari!" Whether you are in a condition of happiness or distress, do not forget this chanting-just fill your lips with the hari-näma.
mäyä-jäle baddha ho'ye,
ächo miche käja lo'ye,
ekhona cetana pe'ye, 'rädhä-mädhava' näm bolo re
3) You are bound up in the entangling network of mäyä and are forced to toil fruitlessly. Now that you have obtained full consciousness in the human form of life, please chant the names of "Rädhä-Mädhava!"
jévana hoilo shesha, na
bhaktivinodopadesha, ekbär näm-rase mäto re
4) Your life may end at any moment, and you have not served the Lord of the senses, Hrishékesha. Take this advice of Bhaktivinoda: "Just once, relish the nectar of the holy name!"
ekbär bhävo mane,
äshä-bashe bhrami' hethä pä'be ki sukha jévane
ke tumi, kothäy chile, ki korite hethä ele,
kibä käj kore' gele, jä'be kothä sharéra-patane
1) Consider this just once: While you wander in this world, under the control of material desires, what happiness will you achieve in this mundane life? Who are you? Where have you come from? How did you come here? What have you done? And where will you go at the time of death when your body drops?
keno sukha, duhkha, bhoy,
tuccha jay-paräjay, krodha-himsä, dvesha anya-jane
bhakativinoda koy, kori' gorä-padäshroy,
cid-änanda-rasa-moy hao rädhä-krishna-näma-gäne
2) What is the use of so much worldly happiness, distress and fear, which arise from the false egotism of "I" and "mine"? And what is the use of insignificant victory and defeat, anger, violence, and envy toward other living beings? Bhaktivinoda says, "Just take shelter at the lotus feet of Lord Gaurasundara and sing the names of Rädhä and Krishna, and you will become saturated with the mellows of pure spiritual bliss."
'rädhä-krisna' bol bol
bolo re sobäi
(ei) shikhä diyä, sab nadéyä,
phirche nece' gaura-nitäi
(miche) mäyär boshe, jäccho bhese',
khäccho häbuòubu, bhäi
1) "Everyone chant, chant, chant 'Rädha-Krishna!'" Lord Chaitanya and Lord Nityänanda are dancing all over the land of Nadéyä, giving this teaching to all. O brothers! Needlessly under the control of mäyä, you suffer and are carried away by her waves, sometimes floating and sometimes sinking in this ocean of illusion.
(jév) krishna-däs, e vishväs,
korle to' är duhkha näi
(krishna) bolbe jabe, pulak ha'be,
jhorbe änkhi, boli täi
2) If you have this faith-that the soul is the eternal servant of Krishna-then there will be no more misery. And when you chant the holy name of Krishna, your body will shiver in ecstasy and your eyes will shed tears in love of God. This is what I say.
bolo, sange calo,
ei-mätra bhikshä cäi
(jay) sakal vipod, bhaktivinod,
bole, jakhon o-näm gäi
3) Chant "Rädhä-Krishna" and always live in the association of devotees. This is the only request I beg of you. Bhaktivinoda says, "All dangers go away when I sing that holy name of the Lord."
(refrain) gäy goräcänd
hare krishna hare
(refrain) Lord Gaurachandra sings this mahä-mantra for the deliverance
hare krishna hare krishna
krishna krishna hare hare,
hare krishna hare
hare räma hare räma räma räma hare hare
hare krishna hare
1) Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare / Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Räma Rama, Hare Hare.
ekbär bol rasanä
(bolo) nandera nandan, yashoda-jévan,
2) Fill yourself with divine love and chant loudly just once all these names of Krishna: "Nanda-nandana! Yashodä-jévana! Çré Rädhä-ramana!"
muralé-vadana, nritya kore'
(bol) agha-nisudan, putanä-ghätana,
3) Dancing with your arms in the air, chant "Çré Madhusudana! Gopé-präna-dhana! Muralé-vadana! Agha-nisudana! Putanä-ghätana! Brahma-vimohana!"
näco-i bhäva-murati gorä range
1) Lord Gauränga, the personification of ecstatic love of God, dances in the company of His plenary portions, along with the parts and parcels of His plenary portions, with His divine weapons, and with His personal associates.
bhrama-i shacé-suta nadéyä dhäm
2) The son of Mother Çacé wanders throughout the abode of Nadéyä singing the holy names of Krishna, which are the deliverer of all living beings imprisoned within the age of Kali, as follows:
(hare) haraye namah
krshna yädaväya namah
gopäla govinda räma shré-madhusudana
3) "O Lord Hari! Obeisances unto Hari, who is Krishna, the best of the Yadus, the herder of the cows, the pleasure of the cows, the supreme enjoyer, and the blessed killer of the demon named Madhu."
(refrain) hare krishna hare
(refrain): Hare Krishna Hare
nitäi ki näm eneche re
(nitäi) näm eneche, nämer häöe,
shraddhä-mulye näm diteche re
1) Oh, what a wonderful name Lord Nityänanda has brought! Nitäi has brought the divine name to the Marketplace of the Holy Name, and He is giving away that name for the mere price of your faith! Oh!
hare krishna hare krishna
krishna krishna hare hare re
hare räma hare räma räma räma hare hare re
2) Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krshna, Hare Hare-Oh! Hare Räma, Hare Räma, Räma Räma, Hare Hare-Oh!
dashä, malina dekhe',
näm eneche braja theke re
e näm shiva jape panca-mukhe re
(madhur e harinäm)
e näm brahmä jape catur-mukhe re
(madhur e harinäm)
e näm närada jape vénä-yantre re
(madhur e harinäm)
e nämäbase ajämila vaikunöhe gelo re
e näm bolte bolte braje calo re
3) Oh, seeing the miserable condition of the fallen souls of this world, Nitäi has personally brought the holy name from the transcendental realm of Vraja! Oh, Lord Çiva chants this holy name with his five mouths! This holy name is so sweet! Oh, Lord Brahmä chants this holy name with his four mouths! This holy name is so sweet! Oh, Närada Muni chants this holy name while playing on his vénä! This holy name is so sweet! Oh, just by the dim reflection of this holy name, the sinful Ajämila went to Vaikunöha! Bhaktivinoda therefore says, "Oh, continuously chanting this holy name, go at once to the divine realm of Vraja! This holy name is so sweet!"
[This song is for singing while performing parikramä of Navadvépa-dhäm]
(refrain) 'hari' bole' modera gaura elo
(refrain) Our Lord Gaura came chanting "Hari! Hari!"
elo re gauränga-cända
nitäi-adwaita-sange godrume pashilo
1) Lord Gauränga-cända came looking very disheveled, as if mad, due to ecstatic love of God, and along with Lord Nityänanda and Advaita Äcärya, He entered the land of Godruma.
sankértana-rase mete näm
nämera häöe ese preme jagat bhäsäilo
2) Deeply absorbed in the intoxicating mellows of sankértan, He distributed the holy name. Having come to the Marketplace of the Holy Name, He caused the whole universe to swim in ecstatic love of God.
godruma-bäsér äj duhkha
bhakta-vrinda-sange äsi' häöa jägäilo
3) Today all the miseries of the residents of Godruma-dvépa have gone far away, for Lord Gauränga, having come here along with all His devotees, caused the Marketplace of the Holy Name to appear here in Godruma.
nadéyä bhramite gorä elo
gaura elo häöe, sange nitäi elo häöe
4) Wandering all over the land of Nadéyä, Lord Gaura came to the Marketplace of the Holy Name. Lord Gaura came to the Marketplace along with Nitäi.
näce mätoyärä nitäi
jagat mätäy nitäi premera mälasäöe
5) Maddened with ecstasy, Lord Nityänanda dances in the fields of Godruma. Due to ecstatic love of God, He moves His powerful arms like a challenging wrestler and thus overwhelms the universe in ecstasy.
(torä dekhe' jä' re)
adwaitädi bhakta-vrinda näce ghäöe ghäöe
paläya duranta kali poòiyä bibhräöe
6) (Oh, all of you please go and see!) The Vaishnavas headed by Advaita Äcärya are dancing along the banks of the Gangä from one bathing ghäö to the next! At such a sight as this, the wicked personality Kali falls into great danger and thus runs for his life.
ki sukhe bhäsilo jéva
dekhiyä shuniyä päshanòér buka phäöe
7) In what indescribable happiness did all living beings swim while Lord Gaurachandra was dancing? By seeing and hearing of such pastimes, the hearts of the atheists break.
(refrain) nadéyä-nagare nitäi nece' nece' gäy re
(Refrain:) Oh! In the towns and villages of Nadéyä, Lord Nityänanda ecstatically dances and sings these names of Çré Caitanya Mahäprabhu:
1) Lord Caitanya is the beloved son of Jagannätha Mishra. He is Mahäprabhu, the great master, and maintainer of the whole world. He is the shining moon of Mäyäpur, and the source of all nectar for the land of Navadvépa.
2) He is the beloved son of Çacé Mätä, and is Lord Hari with a fair golden complexion. As He was born under a ném tree He was called Nimäi-sundara (beautiful Nimäi). He is covered by the sentiment and luster of Çrématé Rädhäräné, and He is the best of all dancers.
nämänanda capala bälaka
brahmänòa-vadana tarké kautukänurakta
3) He becomes restless upon hearing the holy names of Lord Hari. In His boyhood pastimes He is swift and agile, and is devoted to His mother. He displays the entire universe within His mouth, is a great logician, and is fond of joking and playing pranks.
4) He is the moon among scholarly students, and He bewildered two thieves who tried to steal His jewels when He was a small child. He is the cynosure of all philosophers, and He teased and joked with the village girls of Nadéyä.
5) He is the giver of blessings to Lakshmé-priyä (His first wife). He is very mischievous as a child, and is the dispeller of the grief Çacé-mätä felt after losing her husband Jagannätha and first son Vishvarupa.
6) He is the Lord and husband of Lakshmé-priyä. By His sankértan movement He removed all the distress of East Bengal. He eradicated the pride of the conquering panòita named Keshava Kashmiri, and is the beloved Lord of Vishnu-priyä (His second wife).
7) He is the preserver of sanätana-dharma, and the giver of the pinòa oblation at the holy town of Gayä after the disappearance of His father Jagannäth Mishra. He became the disciple of Ishvara Puré, and is the protector of the Madhväcärya Sampradäya.
8) He becomes madly intoxicated by tasting the holy name of Krishna, and is the professor of the science of Krishna consciousness. Thus He inaugurated the religion of the age, näma-sankértan.
nityänanda-präna gadädharera jévana
9) He is the friend of Advaita Äcärya, the treasure of Çréväsa Thäkura's home, the life and soul of Nityänanda Prabhu, and the very source of life for Gadädhara Panòita.
10) He is the moon of Antardvépa, and the triumph of Sémantadvépa. He enjoys wandering and frolicking on the island of Godruma, and is the shelter of pastimes in Madhyadvépa.
11) He is the Lord of Koladvépa, the great controller of Ritudvépa, and the creator of Jahnudvépa, Modadrumadvépa, and Rudradvépa.
12) He is thus the Supreme Lord of the nine islands of Navadvépa, which serves as the stage for His wonderful pastimes. He is the life of the River Gangä, and the deliverer of all sorts of rogues and rascals beginning with Jagäi and Mädhäi.
13) He is the lion of the village kértanas, and the deliverer of Chänd Kazi. He is the preacher of the pure holy name, and the remover of the distresses of His devotees.
14) He is the ocean of mercy for Näräyané (the mother of Çréla Vrindävana däsa Thäkura), and is the regulator of all souls. He is the chastiser of the fallen students who criticized His chanting of "gopé! gopé!", and is the destroyer of the sins of His devotees.
15) He was initiated into sannyäsa with the name of Çré Krishna Caitanya, and He is beautiful like the moon. He delivered His sannyäsa-guru Keshava Bhäraté, is Himself the crest-jewel of all wandering renunciates, and is the savior of the region of Orissa.
16) He is the master of Lord Çiva, who is known in three different Çaiva térthas as Ambu-linga, Bhuvaneshvara, and Kapoteshvara (visited by Lord Caitanya on His way to Jagannätha Puré). As a sannyäsé He rejoiced at the sight of the Orissan deities Kshéra-cora Gopénätha and Säkshé Gopäla.
17) He became a sannyäsé without a danòa (due to Lord Nityänanda's breaking it in three parts and throwing it in the Bhargé River), and is full of mercy for Särvabhauma Bhaööäcärya. He is ecstatic by tasting the bliss of Himself in the form of Krishna, and He is the resting place of all universal happiness.
18) He is beautiful like molten gold, and He delivered the leper Väsudeva. He is the intimate friend of Rämänanda Räy, and the remover of all miseries from the family of Vyenkaöa Bhaööa.
19) He is the refuter of the atheistic arguments of the Buddhists, Jains, and Mäyävädés. He is the savior of South India, and He has brought to light the two devotional literatures, Krishna-karnämrita and Brahma-samhitä.
20) He became ecstatic at the sight of the deity Älälanätha, and He danced in front of the Jagannätha cart during the Ratha-yäträ festival. He delivered Gajapati Pratäpa-Rudra, and was the savior of Devänanda Panòita.
21) By His appearance at Kuliyä He delivered the ill-behaved student community there. He is the friend of Rupa and Sanätana Goswämé, and the life of all souls.
yavana-uddhäré bhaööa-ballabhera rangé
22) He is the personification of bliss in the transcendental realm of Vrindävana, and He is the companion and friend of Balabhadra Bhaööäcärya. On His return from Vrindävana He delivered many Mohammedans, and He is very fond of intimate exchanges with Vallabha Bhaööa.
23) He delivered the Mäyävädé sannyäsés of Käshé, and He is the bestower of love of God. He is the chastiser of the false renunciates (called markaöa-vairägés for being like monkeys), and He is the savior of everyone down to the lowest class of men.
24) He is the glorifier of His devotees, and is the treasured wealth of their lives. He is the very life of such devotees as Haridäsa Thäkura, Raghunätha Däsa Goswämé, and Svarupa Dämodara.
nadéyä-nagare nitäi nece'
nece' gäy re
bhakativinoda tä'r poòe ranga-päy re
25) Oh! In the towns and villages of Nadéyä, Lord Nityänanda dances and dances ecstatically while singing these divine names, and Bhaktivinoda falls down at His reddish lotus feet. Oh!
jaya godruma-pati gorä
nitäi-jévana, advaitera dhana,
1) All glories to Lord Gaura, the master of Godruma! He is the very life of Lord Nityänanda, the treasure of Çré Advaita, and He is always overwhelmed with the ecstatic moods of Vrindävana. He is the life-breath of Gadädhara Panòita, the shelter of Çréväsa Panòita, and the thief of the hearts of all the devotees of Lord Krishna.
1) Lord Vishvambhara is the savior of the age of Kali, the full moon in the sky of the hearts of Bengal, the inaugurator of congregational chanting, the bestower of transcendental ecstatic love, the beloved son of Mother Çacé, and He has a pure golden complexion.
gadädhara shréniväsa muräri mukunda
1) (Please chant these holy names of the Lord and His personal associates): Krishna-Caitanya, Advaita, Prabhu Nityänanda, Gadädhara, Çréniväsa, Muräri, Mukunda, Svarupa, Rupa, Sanätana, Puré, and Rämänanda.
(Refrain:) nagare nagare gorä gäy
(Refrain:) From village to village Lord Gaura sings these names of Çré Kåñëa:
indra-néla-maëi braja-janera jévana
1) Kåñëa is the baby who feeds on the breast milk of Mother Yaçodä. He is the son of Mahäräja Nanda, dark blue like an indra-néla gem (sapphire), and the life of the residents of Vraja.
2) He destroyed the witch of Gokula named Putanä, He killed the wicked whirlwind demon Tånävarta, and He broke the cart in which the demon Çakaöäsura was hiding.
yamala-arjuna-bhanjé govinda gopäla
3) He likes to steal butter, and is an expert thief of yogurt. He broke the two arjuna trees, He is a cowherd boy who always gives pleasure to the cows, and He is the protector of the cows.
vatsäsuräntaka hari nija-jana-päla
4) He is so naughty that His mother bound Him around the waist with ropes, and He is the keeper of the cows and calves of Våndävana. He is the the destroyer of the calf-demon Vatsäsura, He is the remover of all evils, and is the protector of His devotees.
dhenuka-näçana kåñëa käliya-damana
5) He is the enemy of the stork-demon Bakäsura, the slayer of the snake-demon Aghäsura, the bewilderer of Lord Brahmä, the destroyer of the ass-demon Dhenukäsura, He is all-attractive, and the subduer of the Käliya serpent.
6) He dresses in yellow silk cloth, wears peacock feathers on His head, and He always holds a flute. He performs pastimes in the Bhänòéra forest, and He swallowed a forest fire in order to save the inhabitants of Vraja.
vallabé-vallabha deva gopé-vastra-häré
7) He is the best of dancers, He wanders in the caves of Govardhana Hill, and He enjoys various amorous pastimes in the autumn season. He is the lover of the young cowherd maidens, the Supreme Lord of all, and the stealer of the gopés' garments.
govardhana-dhåk mädhava braja-bäsé-bandhu
8) He is the ocean of mercy for the wives of the sacrificial brähmanas, He is the holder of Govardhana Hill, the husband of the goddess of fortune, and the dearmost friend of the inhabitants of Vraja.
çré-gopé-vallabha rasa-kréòa purnänanda
9) He broke Indra's pride, and is the protector of His father, Nanda Mahäräja. He is the giver of liberation, the lover of the cowherd maidens of Vraja, the enjoyer of the räsa dance, and the reservoir of fully complete pleasure.
10) He is the lover of Çrématé Rädhäräëé, the very springtime of Her life, and is very handsome. He is the Lord of the lives of all the sakhés of Våndävana, headed by Lalitä and Viçäkhä.
vana-mälé smera-mukha gopé-präna-dhana
11) He possesses the lovely complexion of a fresh raincloud, He is the bewilderer of Cupid, and is always garlanded with fresh forest flowers. His face is full of sweet smiles and laughter, and He is the wealth of the lives of all the young cowherd maidens in Vraja.
rädhä-kunòa-ranga-netä rasera sägara
12) He possesses a beautiful three-fold bending form, and holds a flute known as muralé. He is the lover of the Yamunä river, the director of all the amorous love-sports at Rädhä Kunòa, and He is the ocean of sweet devotional mellows.
13) He is the Lord of the life of Candrävalé, and He is desirous of joking and playing pranks. He is very anxious to enjoy the moods of His beloved Rädhikä's feigned sulking, and He always endeavors to meet with Her.
gopé-saha haöha-käré braja-baneçwara
14) He is the giver of the Mänasa Gangä lake to the inhabitants of Våndävana, and a thief of flower blossoms. He acts very outrageously with the maidens of Våndävana, not caring for social restrictions, and He is the Lord of the Vraja-manòala forests.
15) He is the wealth of Gokula, and He protects the cowherd boys from all miseries. He curbs all foolish pride and removes all distress from His devotees.
rämänuja çyäma-cända muralé-vädaka
16) He is the liberator of the demigod Sudarçana, and is the destroyer of the demon Çankhacuòa. He is the younger brother of Lord Baladeva (Räma), He is the beautiful dark moon of Våndävana, and the player of the muralé flute.
17) He listens to the devotional songs of the gopés, and is the slayer of the demon Madhu. He is the enemy of the demon Mura, the killer of the bull-demon Ariñöäsura, and He regularly enjoys amorous sports at Rädhä Kunòa and other places in Vraja.
ranga-kréòa kaàsa-hantä malla-praharaëa
18) He is the destroyer of the sky-demon Vyomäsura, His eyes are shaped like lotus petals, and He is the killer of the horse-demon Keçé. He is fond of frolicsome pastimes, is the slayer of King Kaàsa, and is the conquerer of Kaàsa's wrestlers named Cänura and Muñöika.
déna-nätha mathureça devaké-garbha-ja
19) He is the beloved son of Vasudeva, and the emblem of fame for the Våñëai dynasty. The Lord of the fallen souls, He is the Monarch of Mathurä, and He appears to have taken birth from the womb of Devaké.
dwärakeça naraka-ghna çré-yadu-nandana
20) He is full of mercy for the hunchbacked girl Kubjä. He is the maintainer of the entire creation, the son of Vasudeva, the refuge of all souls, the Lord of Dvärakä, the slayer of the demon Narakäsura, and the beloved descendant of the Yadu dynasty.
pänòava-bändhava çiçupälädira käla
21) He is the lover of Rukminé, the husband of Satyä, the protecter of the godly, the beloved friend of the five Pänòava brothers, and the cause of death for Çiçupäla and other demonic kings.
sarva-avatära-béja viçvera nidäna
22) He is the Lord of the universe, the maintainer of all living beings, the possessor of beautiful hair, and the deliverer from all misery. He is the primordial seed of all His various incarnations, and is the origin of all universes.
sarvätmära ätmä prabhu prakåtira pära
23) He is the Lord of Mäyä, the master of mysticism, and the proprietor of the spiritual powers of the brähmanas. The Soul of all souls, He is the Supreme Lord and master, being the opposite shore of the ocean of material nature.
båndäbana-candra sarva-rasera äkara
24) Lord Kåñëa is the purifier of the fallen souls, the Lord of the universe, the controller of all beings, the moon of Våndävana, and the original reservoir of all rasas.
nagare nagare gorä gäy
bhakativinoda tachu päy
25) From village to village Lord Gauränga sings these names of Kåñëa, and Bhaktivinoda remains at His lotus feet.
kåñëa govinda hare
1) O Kåñëa! O Govinda! O Hari! O Gopé-vallabha! O Çauri!
nanda-nandana, mädhava, nåsiàha, kaàsäre
2) O Çréniväsa! O Dämodara! O Çré Räma! O Muräri! O Nanda-nandana! O Mädhava! O Nåsiàha! O Kaàsäri!
gopénätha, madana-mohana, räsa-rasänanda
1) Kåñëa is the lover of Rädhä, sweet like honey of the springtime, the husband of Lakñmé, the awarder of liberatlon, the Lord of the gopés, the bewilderer of Cupid, the relisher of the blissful mellows of the räsa dance, the enjoyer of amorous sports in the grove at Rädhä Kunòa known as Ananga-sukhada-kunja, and the pleasure of the cows.
1) Kåñëa is the lover of Rädhä. He displays many amorous pastimes in the groves of Våndävana. He is the lover of the cowherd maidens of Vraja, the lifter of the great hill named Govardhana, the beloved son of Mother Yaçodä, the delighter of the inhabitants of Vraja, and He wanders in the forests along the banks of the river Yamunä.
1) Kåñëa is the lover of Rädhä, the pleasure of Rädhä, the springtime of Rädhä, and the delight of Rädhä.
2) Kåñëa is the lover of Rädhä, the Lord of Rädhä, He delights in beholding the beautiful complexion of Rädhä, He relishes everything in relation to Rädhä, He is the beloved of Rädhä, and He feels joy in meeting with Rädhä.
jaya yaçodä-nandana kåñëa
jaya madana-mohana hare ananta mukunda
1) All glories to Kåñëa, the son of Mother Yaçodä, the cowherd boy and giver of pleasure to the cows! All glories to the conquerer of Cupid, Lord Hari, who takes away all inauspiciousness, who is unlimited, and the awarder of liberation!
jaya acyuta mädhava räm
jaya muralé-vadana çyäma gopé-janänanda
2) All glories to the infallible Lord, husband of the goddess of fortune, the supreme enjoyer, and the moon of Våndävana! All glories to Kåñëa, who always holds a flute to His mouth, who is the color of a dark blue raincloud, and is the bliss of the gopés!
1) Lord Kåñëa is the beloved son of Mother Yaçodä, the greatest lover in the land of Vraja, the delight of Gokula, He is intimately addressed as Käna, and is the wealth of the lives of the gopés. He steals the mind of even Cupid and punishes the Käliya serpent.
vipina-purandara, navéna nägara-vara,
2) These pure holy names of Lord Hari are full of sweet nectarean pastimes. He is the monarch of the forests of Våndävana, and the foremost of young paramours. He is always playing on a flute, and He is an excellent dresser.
govinda mädhava, navanéta-taskara,
3) Kåñëa is the protector of the inhabitants of Vraja, the destroyer of various demonic dynasties, the keeper and tender of Nanda Mahäräja's cows, the giver of pleasure to the cows, the husband of the goddess of fortune, the butter thief, and the beautiful cowherd boy of Nanda Mahäräja.
4) Kåñëa wanders along the banks of the river Yamunä, He steals the garments of the young damsels of Vraja, and delights in the mellows of the räsa dance. He is very merciful, the beloved of Çrématé Rädhäräëé, the great dancer of Våndävana, and the refuge of Bhaktivinoda.
'doyäl nitäi chaitanya'
bole' näc re ämär man
näc re ämär man, näc re ämära man
1) Chanting the holy names "Doyäl Nitäi Caitanya!"-Oh my mind dances! Oh my mind dances! Oh my mind dances!
(emon, doyäl to näi he,
mär kheye prema dey)
(ore) aparädha dure jäbe, päbe prema-dhan
(o näme aparädha-vicära to näi he)
(takhon) kåñëa-näme ruci ha'be, ghucibe bandhan
2) Oh! Such a merciful personality as Nityänanda Prabhu is not to be found anywhere! He suffers a beating from Jagäi and Mädhäi and still gives them love of God! Oh! When your offenses are vanquished, you will obtain the treasure of love of God! But in these names of Caitanya and Nitäi there is no consideration of offenses! Once you have a taste for the holy name of Kåñëa, bondage to this world will come to an end.
(kåñëa-näme anuräg to
(takhon) anäyäse saphal ha'be jévera jévan
(kåñëa-rati vinä jévan to miche he)
(ese) båndäbane rädhä-çyämer pa'be daraçan
(gaura-kåpä ha'le he)
3) Oh! When there is attachment to the holy name of Kåñëa, then very easily the life of a living being becomes successful! Oh! Without affection for Kåñëa, life is simply useless! At the end of life you will obtain the beautiful vision of Rädhä and Çyäma in Våndävana-if the mercy of Lord Gaura is received! Oh!
'hari' bolo, 'hari' bolo,
'hari' bolo, bhäi re
harinäm äniyäche gauränga-nitäi re
(modera duhkha dekhe' re)
1) O brothers, chant "Hari!" Chant "Hari!" Chant "Hari!" Lord Gauränga and Lord Nitäi have brought the holy name! (Seeing our unhappiness!)
harinäm vinä jéver anya
harinäme çuddha ha'lo jagäi-mädhäi re
(baòo päpé chilo re)
2) Except for the holy name, there is no other treasure for the soul! By the influence of the holy name, even Jagäi and Mädhäi became pure! (They were both greatly sinful persons!)
miche mäyä-baddha ho'ye
jévan käöäi re
('ämi, ämär' bole' re)
äçä-vaçe ghure' ghure' är kothä jäi re
(äçär çeña näi re)
3) I pass my life uselessly bound by Mäyä! (Always saying "I" and "mine"!) Wandering here and there under the control of mundane desires-where shall I go next? (There is no end to worldly desires!)
'hari' bole' deo bhäi
äçär mukhe chäi re
(niräça to' sukho re)
bhoga-mokña-vänchä chäòi' harinäm gäi re
(çuddha-sattva ho'ye re)
4) O brothers, chant "Hari!" while looking directly in the face of material desire! (Freedom from mundane hankerings is the platform of actual happiness!) Giving up all desire for mundane enjoyment and liberation, I chant the holy names of the Supreme Lord! (Having become pure and situated in transcendence!)*
näce' jeo nämer gune o
sab phala päi re
(tuccha phale prayäs cheòe' re)
vinod bole jäi lo'ye nämer bäläi re
(nämer bäläi cheòe' re)
5) I dance in ecstasy due to the power and divine qualities of the holy name, and thus I obtain all these results! (Having given up all endeavors for insignificant material results!) Bhaktivinoda says, "I conquer all impediments to the pure chanting of the holy name! (Having given up all offenses to the holy name!)"
bolo hari bolo (3 times)
maner änande, bhäi, bolo hari bolo
bolo hari bolo (3 times)
janame janame sukhe bolo hari bolo
1) Chant the name of Hari! O brothers, with blissful minds chant the name of Hari! Chant the name of Hari! Birth after birth in happiness, chant the name of Hari!
bolo hari bolo (3 times)
mänava-janma pe'ye, bhäi, bolo hari bolo
bolo hari bolo (3 times)
sukhe thäko, duhkhe thäko, bolo hari bolo
2) Chant the name of Hari! O brothers, you have obtained a human birth, now chant the name of Hari! Chant the name of Hari! Whether you are in happiness or distress, chant the name of Hari!
bolo hari bolo (3 times)
sampade vipade, bhäi, bolo hari bolo
bolo hari bolo (3 times)
gåhe thäko, vane thäko, bolo hari bolo
kåñëaera saàsäre thäki' bolo hari bolo
3) Chant the name of Hari! O brothers, whether in prosperity or misfortune, chant the name of Hari! Chant the name of Hari! Whether you live at home or in the forest, chant the name of Hari! Remaining in this material world for Kåñëa's purposes, chant the name of Hari!
bolo hari bolo (3 times)
asat-sanga chäòi', bhäi, bolo hari bolo
bolo hari bolo (3 times)
vaiñnava-caraëe poòi' bolo hari bolo
4) Chant the name of Hari! O brothers, give up the association of non-devotees and chant the name of Hari! Chant the name of Hari! Falling at the feet of the Vaiñëavas, chant the name of Hari!
bolo hari bolo (3 times)
gaura-nityänanda bolo (3 times)
gaura-gadädhara bolo (3 times)
gaura-advaita bolo (3 times)
5) Chant the name of Hari! Chant the names of Gaura and Nityänanda! Chant the names of Gaura and Gadädhara! Chant the names of Gaura and Advaita!
(hare) haraye namah kåñëa
yädaväya mädhaväya keçaväya namah
gopäla govinda räm çré-madhusudan
rädhä-govinda bolo (4 times)
1) I offer my respectful obeisances unto Hari, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Kåñëa, the descendant of the Yadu dynasty, husband of the goddess of fortune and the killer of the demon Keçé, the protector of the cows, the pleaser of the cows, the supreme enjoyer, and the slayer of the demon Madhu. Chant the holy names "Rädhä-Govinda!"
govinda govinda govinda
rädhä-govinda bolo (4 times)
guru-kåpä jale näçi' viñaya-anala
rädhä-govinda bolo (4 times)
2) Chant "Govinda! Govinda! Govinda!" Chant "Rädhä-Govinda!" Now that the waters of the spiritual master's mercy have extinguished the blazing fire of worldly existence, chant "Rädhä-Govinda!"
rädhä-govinda bolo (4 times)
ananya-bhävete citta koriyä saral
rädhä-govinda bolo (4 times)
3) Offering body, home, family and all to Çré Kåñëa, chant "Rädhä-Govinda!" In a mood of unalloyed determination, becoming simple and straightforward in your heart, chant "Rädhä-Govinda!"
rupänuga vaiñëavera piyä
rädhä-govinda bolo (4 times)
däça aparädha tyaji' bhukti-mukti-phal
rädhä-govinda bolo (4 times)
4) Drinking the water that has washed the feet of a Vaiñëava who follows in the footsteps of Çréla Rupa Goswämé, chant "Rädhä-Govinda!" Giving up the ten offenses to the holy name, as well as the alluring fruits of material enjoyment and liberation, chant "Rädhä-Govinda!"
rädhä-govinda bolo (4 times)
swarupete braja-bäse hoiyä çétal
rädhä-govinda bolo (4 times)
5) Making the dust from the feet of a gopé your only means of support, chant "Rädhä-Govinda!" Feeling relieved by living in Vraja in your eternal spiritual form, chant "Rädhä-Govinda!"
kåñëa-bhakti vinä kabhu
miche sab dharmädharma jéver upädhimoy
1) There is no profit in a life devoid of devotional service to Kåñëa. Therefore all the so-called religiosity and irreligiosity of a living being who is bewildered by false worldly designations is simply useless.
nänä-känòa-rupe jéver bandhana-käraëa hoy
2) Mysticism, performance of Vedic sacrifices, severe austerities, meditation, renunciation of the world, and cultivating knowledge of the impersonal Brahman-although appearing in the forms of various spiritual paths-are all causes of the soul's further bondage to this world.
vinoder väkya dharo, nänä
känòa tyäg koro,
nirupädhi kåñëa-preme hådoye deho äçroy
3) Please heed this advice of Bhaktivinoda: Give up all these various paths, and just keep pure love of Kåñëa sheltered within your heart, for this alone is transcendental to all mundane designations.
är keno mäyä-jäle
nähi jäno baddha ho'ye ro'be tumi ciro-din
1) O fish-like soul, why have you fallen into the entangling nets of Mäyä? You have not understood that by being bound up by those nets you will have to remain in this material world for a long, long time.
ati tuccha bhoga-äçe,
bandé ho'ye mäyä-päçe
rohile vikåta-bhäve danòya jathä parädhén
2) After becoming a captive in Mäyä's snare due to the influence of desires for very insignificant enjoyments, you remain transformed in a spiritually diseased condition, punishable as a disobedient servant or dependent.
kréòä kori' anäyäse thäko tumi kåñëaädhéna
3) Now, on the strength of pure devotion, swim and frolick freely in the ocean of Kåñëa-prema, and always remain subservient to and dependent on Lord Kåñëa.
dayä-dharma-ädi guna alankära sab tähäri
1) Love and affection for the nature of eternity, knowledge, and bliss is like a very beautiful woman whose ornaments are all the good qualities headed by mercifulness and religiosity.
jnäna tä'r paööa-çäöé,
e sabe çobhitä saté kore kåñëa-mana curi
2) The divine wisdom of pure jnäna is her silken säré, and the practice of the yoga of devotional service is her excellent bodily fragrance. Adorned by these qualities, that beautiful and chaste woman steals away the mind of Kåñëa Himself.
rupa vinä alankäre, kibä
périti-vihéna gune kåñëae nä tuñite päri
3) lf ornaments are worn by one completely devoid of beauty, then is such a person considered to be beautiful in this world? Similarly, one possessing good qualities like mercifulness and religiosity is unable to satisfy Lord Kåñëa if devoid of love for Him.
vänaréra alankära, çobhä
nähi hoy tä'ra
kåñëa-prem vinä tathä gune nä ädara kori
4) Just as there is no beauty to an ornament worn on the body of a female monkey, in the same way I do not hold in very high esteem qualities such as mercifulness and religiosity if they are devoid of love for Kåñëa.
'niräkär niräkär', koriyä
keno sädhaker çänti bhängo, bhäi, bär bär
1) O brothers, by your screaming out again and again, "The Supreme Lord is formless! The Absolute Truth is a void!", why do you so insist on disturbing the peace of the Vaiñëavas?
tumi jä' bujhecho bhälo,
täi lo'ye koto käl,
bhakti vinä phalodoy tarke nähi, jäno sär
2) Having accepted this impersonal philosophy, which you consider to be very good, you are simply wasting so much time. You should understand this essential truth: Without devotion for the Supreme Lord, no factual gain is brought about by engaging in mere dry arguments.
sämänya tarkera bale,
bhakti nähi äsvädile,
janama hoilo båthä, nä korile suvicär
3) Your birth as a human being is useless, for although you are supposed to be great philosophers, you did not judge rightly in this regard-by the power of mundane logic and argument you have failed to taste the bliss of pure devotion to the Supreme Lord.
rupäçraye kåñëa bhaji',
jadi hari-preme maji,
tä' ho'le alabhya, bhäi, ki koribe bolo är
4) If I worship Kåñëa under the shelter of Çréla Rupa Goswämé, and thereby deeply immerse myself in divine love for Lord Hari-and you are unable to attain that state, O brothers, then what will you do? What more will you say?
keno är koro dveña,
bhajanera linga nänä, nänä deçe nänä jane
1) Why do you continue to hate the way the Lord is worshiped by people of other lands? There exist a number of authentic ways to worship God, according to the customs of various peoples living in different countries.
keho mukta-kacche bhaje,
keho häöu gäòi' puje
keho vä nayana mudi' thäke brahma-ärädhäne
2) Some people worship the Lord in an untidy or careless manner; some worship Him by bending down on their knees; still others close their eyes while worshiping His impersonal Brahman aspect.
keho yogäsane puje, keho
sakale bhajiche sei eka-mätra kåñëa-dhane
3) Some people worship Him by assuming various yoga postures, and some immerse themselves in the congregational chanting of the Lord's holy names; but all of them worship that one and only supreme treasure-Lord Çré Kåñëa.
thäko sabe su-sadbhäve
hari-bhakti sädho sadä, e jévane vä maraëe
4) Therefore you should all reflect a mood of brotherhood and live together in transcendental friendship. Always practice devotional service to Lord Hari, whether in situations of life or death.*
bhaja re bhaja re ämär
mana ati manda
(bhajan vinä gati näi re)
(bhaja) braja-bane rädhä-kåñëa-caraëäravinda
(jnäna-karma parihari' re)
(bhaja) (braja-bane rädhä-kåñëa)
1) My dear mind, how foolish you are! Oh just worship, oh just worship the lotus feet of Rädhä and Kåñëa in the forests of Vraja! (Oh, without such worship there is no means of spiritual advancement!) Just worship the lotus feet of Rädhä and Kåñëa in the forests of Vraja! (Oh, giving up all speculative knowledge and materialistic activities!)
(gaura-kåñëae abheda jene' re)
(guru kåñëa-preñöha jene' re)
(smara) çréniväs, haridäs, muräri, mukunda
(gaura-preme smara, smara re)
(smara) (çréniväs haridäse)
2) Just worship Gaura, Gadädhara, Advaita, and Lord Nityänanda, the original spiritual master! (Oh, knowing Lord Gaura and Lord Kåñëa to be the same!) (Oh, knowing the spiritual master to be very dear to Kåñëa!) Just remember the dear associates of Lord Caitanya, namely Çréväsa Thäkura, Haridäsa Thäkura, Muräri Gupta, and Mukunda Daööa! (Oh, in deep love for Lord Gaura, you should remember, just remember!) (Just remember the two great personalities Çréväsa Thäkura and Haridäsa Thäkura!)
(kåñëa-bhajan jadi korbe re)
(smara) räghava-gopäla-bhaööa swarupa-rämänanda
(kåñëa-prema jadi cäo re)
3) Just remember Çré Rupa Goswämé, Sanätana, Jéva, and the two Raghunäthas! (Oh, if you are engaged in worshiping Lord Kåñëa!) (Just remember the two great souls Çré Rupa Goswämé and Sanätana Goswämé!) Just remember Räghava Paëòita, Gopäl Bhaööa Goswämé, Svarupa Dämodara Goswämé, and Rämänanda Räya! (Oh, if you really seek love of Kåñëa!) (Just remember Svarupa Dämodara Goswämé and Rämänanda Räya!)
karëapura, sena çivänanda
(ajasra smara, smara re)
(smara) rupänuga sädhu-jana bhajana-änanda
(braje bäs jadi cäo re)
(rupänuga sädhu smara)
4) Just remember Çréla Kavi Karëapura and all his family members, especially his father, Çivänanda Sena! (Oh, always remember, always remember!) (Çré Kavi Karëapura and his family!) Just remember all the sädhus who follow the path of Çré Rupa Goswämé and who are absorbed in the ecstasy of bhajan! (Oh, if you actually want residence in the land of Vraja!) (Just remember the sädhus who are followers of Çréla Rupa Goswämé!)
bhävo nä bhävo nä, mana,
tumi ati duñöa
(viñaya-viñe ächo he)
(ripur baçe ächo he)
1) My dear mind, you have not thought of this! You have not thought of this! You are very wicked! (Oh, you are deeply sunk in the poison of worldly sense gratification!) You are overwhelmed by lust, anger, greed, illusion, madness, and so on! (Oh, you are under the sway of the enemy!)
(asat-kathä bhälo läge he)
(sarala to' ho'le nä he)
ghireche tomäre, bhäi, e sab ariñöa
(e sab to' çatru he)
2) You are attracted by a thirst for hearing mundane news, enjoying material sense objects, and seeking liberation! (Oh, you think that nonsensical talk sounds very pleasant!) You have become crushed by the desire for fame, as well as by hypocrisy and crooked dealings! (Oh, you are not very simple or straightforward!) You are completely surrounded, dear brother, by all these inauspicious signs of death! (Oh, these are indeed your deadly enemies!)
e sab nä cheòe' kise
(jatane chäòo, chäòo he)
sädhu-sanga vinä är kothä tava iñöa
(sädhu-sanga koro, koro he)
vaiñëava-caraëe maja, ghucibe aniñöa
(ek-bär bheve' dekho he)
3) If you do not give up all these things, then how will you attain Rädhä and Kåñëa? (Oh, carefully abandon, just abandon them!) Other than the association of sädhus, where else is your real benefit to be found? (Oh, just keep the company, keep the company of saintly devotees!) Just immerse yourself in the lotus feet of a Vaiñëava, and all unwanted things will disappear! (Oh, just think about all of this for once and see for yourself!)
premse koho çré
advaita-gadädhara-çréväsa-panòita ké jaya!
çré antardvépa mäyäpura,
sémanta, godruma, madhyadvépa, koladvépa, åtudvépa,
jahnudvépa, modadruma, rudradvépätmaka çré navadvépa-dhäma ké jaya!
våndävana-rädhä-kunòa-yamunäjé ké jaya!
çré tulasé-devé ké jaya!
çré gangäjé ké jaya!
çré surabhi-kunja ké jaya!
çré näm haööa ké jaya!
çré bhakti-devé ké jaya!
çré gäyaka, çrotä, bhakta-vånda ké jaya!
(pare säñöänga-danòavat-Afterwards, offer obeisances like a stick with all eight limbs flat on the ground.)
(Bengali songs based on Çréla Rupa Goswämé's Sanskrit Nämäñöaka)
[Lalita-Ekatälä & Daçakuçé]
swa-näm-mahimä koralo pracär
1) Through the mouth of Çréla Rupa Goswämé, the son of Mother Çacé preached the glories of His own divine holy name.
jo näm, so hari-kachu
so näm satya-miti gäyati veda
2) There is no difference between that holy name of Lord Hari and Lord Hari Himself. The Vedic scriptures sing of the true glory of the Lord's holy name.
sabu upaniñada, ratna-mälä-dyuti,
mangala-ärati, koro-i anukñana,
3) All the Upaniñads are like a necklace of beautifully effulgent jewels shining before the lotus feet of the holy name. They perpetually perform mangala ärati for the holy name with lamps of two rows of five ghee wicks.
caudda bhuvana mäha, deva-nara-dänava,
bhäga jänkara balavän
näma-rasa-péyuña, pibo-i anukñana,
4) Within the fourteen worlds, those demigods, men and demons whose fortune has been very great constantly drink the nectar of the sweet mellows of the holy name, casting aside all kinds of fruitive activities and intellectual forms of knowledge.
nitya-mukta punah, näma-upäsana,
satata koro-i säma-gäne
goloke baiöhata, gäowe nirantara,
näma-viraha nähi jäne
5) The eternally liberated souls living in the spiritual world, however, always worship the holy name in beautifully composed hymns and sit in Goloka Våndävana perpetually singing the name. Therefore they do not know any separation from the holy name.
sabu-rasa-äkara, 'hari' iti dvy-akñara,
sabu-bhäve koralun äçroy
näma caraëe pa'òi, bhaktivinoda kohe,
tuwä pade mägahun niloy
6) The two syllables Ha and ri are a mine of all varieties of devotional mellow. Every ecstasy of devotion has taken shelter in them. Falling at the lotus feet of the holy name, Bhaktivinoda says, "O Harinäm, I pray for residence at Your lotus feet."
jaya jaya harinäm, cidänandämåta-dhäm,
nija-jane kåpä kori', näma-rupe avatari',
jéve doyä korile apär
1) All glories, all glories to the holy name of the Lord, the abode of immortal transcendental bliss! The Supreme Absolute Truth, who possesses an eternal form of sacred syllables, has descended in the form of the holy name. Thereby He shows mercy to His own devotees while showering boundless compassion upon all fallen souls.
jaya 'hari', 'kåñëa',
muni-vånda nirantar, je nämera samädar,
kori' gäy bhoriyä vadana
2) All glories to the Supreme Personality of Godhead who is called by different names such as Hari, Kåñëa and Räma! He is the auspicious resting place of all living entities within the universe, and He delights the minds of all souls. Wise sages maintain great reverence for His holy name and constantly sing it by filling their mouths with the sound.
ohe kåñëa-nämäkñar, tumi sarva-çakti-dhar,
tomä vinä bhava-sindhu, uddhärite nähi bandhu,
3) O Lord Kåñëa in the form of name-syllables! You possess all supreme powers, and are engaged in bestowing pure auspiciousness upon the living beings. Without You there is no other friend to rescue us from the ocean of material existence. You have come for the deliverance of all fallen souls.
äche täpa jéve jata, tumi saba koro hata,
heläya tomäre eka-bär
òäke jadi kono jan, ho'ye dén akincan,
nähi dekhi' anya pratikär
4) For all souls within this world there is much misery and sorrow. O Harinäm, if someone calls upon You just once, feeling himself very meek and lowly, possessing nothing and seeing no other remedy for his relief, You then easily destroy all his sorrows.
päy, ugra-täpa dure jäy,
linga-bhanga hoy anäyäse
bhakativinoda koy, jaya hari-näma jay,
paòe' thäki tuwä pada-äçe
5) If one simply obtains a faint glimpse of Your actual identity, then all sorts of terrible miseries are cast far away; indeed, the very form of suffering itself is easily broken to pieces. Bhaktivinoda says, "All glories, all glories to the holy name of Lord Hari! O Harinäm, I perpetually fall to the ground in hope of attaining Your lotus feet."
viçve udita, näma-tapan,
choòata saba, mäyä-vibhava,
sädhu tähe anurägé
1) The brilliant sun of the transcendental holy name of the Lord has appeared in the material universe in order to destroy ignorance. Casting aside all worldly attractions, the saintly souls cultivate affection for the name alone.
tomär mahimä kebä jäne
ke heno panòita-jan, tomära mähätmya-gaë,
uccaih-sware sakala bäkhäne
2) The sun of the holy name is the dispeller of the darkness of ignorance. O Harinäm, who actually knows Your greatness? What sort of learned man is capable of loudly singing the host of Your glories?
tomära äbhäs pahilohi
e bhava-timira kavalita-präy
3) O holy name, from the first moment one perceives a glimpse of You appearing on the horizon of the heart, the darkness of this material world is almost totally devoured.
acire timira näçiyä
tattvändha-nayane korena vidhän
4) Quickly destroying all remaining darkness, You bestow divine wisdom upon our spiritually blinded eyes.
sei to' prajnän viçuddha
upajäy hari-viñayiné mati
5) That divine wisdom gives rise within the heart to pure devotion, from which awakens an understanding of the transcendental characteristics of Lord Hari.
e adbhuta-lélä satata
bhakativinoda jäniyäche sär
6) This wonderful pastime of Yours is eternally taking place, and Bhaktivinoda has understood its essence.
jnäné jnäna-yoge, koriyä jatane,
brahmera säkñät kore
brahma-säkñätkär, apraräbdha karma,
sampurna jnänete hare
1) The learned man, endeavoring in the practice of jnäna-yoga, eventually achieves direct perception of the Supreme Brahman. That realization of Brahman awards one with fully complete transcendental knowledge, which removes all of one's aprärabdha, or unfructified karmic reactions accrued in previous births.
tabu to' prärabdha, nähi hoy kñoy,
phala-bhoga binä kabhu
brahma-bhuta jéva, phala-bhoga lägi',
2) However, by dint of Brahman realization one's prärabdha, or karmic reactions that are presently fructifying, are not diminished unless one actually undergoes the suffering of those reactions. Therefore, despite being a Brahman-realized soul, one must still experience the present reactions of his karma and thus be implicated in the cycle of birth and death.
kintu ohe näma, tava sphurti ha'le,
ekänté janera äro
prärabdhäprärabdha, kichu nähi thäke,
vede gäya bäro bäro
3) But, O holy name, if You are manifest on the tongue of Your unalloyed devotee, then all of his sinful reactions of both past and present lives are completely destroyed. This truth is sung by the Vedas again and again.
tomära udaye, jévera hådoya,
sampurna çodhita hoy
karma-jnäna-bandha, saba dure jäya,
4) O holy name, when You arise within the living being's heart, it becomes completely purified. The shackles of materialistic activities and intellectual knowledge are cast far away, and the soul's worldly existence comes to an end without any difficulty.
bhakativinoda, bähu tule' koy,
nämera niçäna dharo
näma-òankä-dhvani, koriyä jäibe,
5) Bhaktivinoda raises his arms and says, "Take up the banner of the holy name and walk along sounding the drum of the holy name. In this way you will surely obtain the direct audience of Lord Muralédhara, the holder of the flute."
harinäm, tuwä aneka
1) O Harinäm, You possess unlimited forms, such as the beloved son of Mother Yaçodä, the increaser of bliss, the son of Nanda, and the reservoir of all transcendental mellows.
2) You are the slayer of the demons Putanä and Tånävarta, the breaker of the cart, the protector of the cows, the player of the muralé flute, the destroyer of the demons Agha and Baka, the holder of Govardhan Hill, and You are a cowherd boy.
3) You killed the demon Keçé, bewildered Lord Brahmä, and broke the pride of Indra, king of Heaven. You are the destroyer of the demon Ariñöa, the enchanter of the young cowherd girls, and You like to sport along the banks of the river Yamunä.
räma, kåñëa, hari, mädhava, narahari,
4) You give delight to Çré Rädhikä, bring the nectar of life to the räsa dance, and sport in the groves near Rädhä Kunòa. You are the reservoir of pleasure, the all-attractive one, the remover of inauspiciousness, the husband of the goddess of fortune, the half-man half-lion incarnation, and You are the source of all other incarnations such as Matsya, the fish avatära.
govinda, vämana, çré-madhusudana,
5) You are pleasing to the cows, You are the dwarf brähmana incarnation, and the splendrous slayer of the demon Madhu. You are the moon of the Yadu dynasty, and You always wear beautiful garlands of fresh forest flowers. You are the punisher of the Käliya serpent, the delighter of Gokula, and You rejoice in the worship of Çrématé Rädhäräëé.
ityädika näm, swarupe prakäm,
bäòuk mora rati räge
rupa-swarupa-pada, jäni' nija sampada,
bhaktivinoda dhori' mäge
6) O Harinäm, thus according to Your own sweet will You are manifest in all these forms and in many others also. Please let my love and attachment for them increase more and more. Bhaktivinoda recognizes his own priceless treasure and clasps the lotus feet of Rupa Goswämé and Swarupa Dämodara Goswämé while offering this prayer.
väcya o väcaka-dui swarup
väcya-tava çré-vigraha cid-änandäkär
1) O Lord, You possess two transcendental forms, properly called väcya (that which is nameable) and väcaka (that which denotes). The väcya is Your beautiful personal bodily form full of transcendental knowledge and bliss.
väcaka swarup tava
2) The väcaka forms are Your holy names, such as Çré Kåñëa and so forth. Thus appearing in the form of transcendental sound vibration, You are the resting place for the bliss of all souls.
ei dui swarupe tava
doyä kori' deya jéve tomära viläs
3) Your unlimited manifestations are found in these two forms. Taking pity and being very kind, they confer upon the fallen souls entrance into Your divine pastimes.
kintu jäniyächi nätha
väcyäpekñä doyamoy, ei aparup
4) But of these two forms of Yours, O Lord, I have understood Your väcaka form to be even more merciful than Your väcya form. Thus do I find Your holy name most wonderful.
näma nämé bheda näi,
tabu näma-nämé ho'te adhika korun
5) It is the declaration of the Vedas that the holy name of the Lord and the Lord Himself are non-different, yet still the holy name is more merciful than the Lord Himself.
kåñëae-aparädhi jadi näme
präna bhori' òäke näm-'rama, kåñëa, hari',
6) If one is an offender to Lord Kåñëa personally, but has genuine faith in the holy name and calls out with all his heart and soul, "Räma!" "Kåñëa!" "Hari!"...
aparädha dure jäy,
bhäse sei anäyäse rasera päthäre
7) ...then all his offenses are cast far away, and he floats without difficulty in the ocean of divine bliss and transcendental mellows.
çuddha-nämäçraye sei aparädhe tori'
8) A person may commit offenses to the väcya or the transcendental figure of the Lord, but if he is under the shelter of the pure holy name, he crosses over all those offenses.
väcaka-swarup näme rati anukñane
9) At the lotus feet of Çréla Rupa Goswämé, Bhaktivinoda begs for constant loving attachment for the väcaka or divine holy name of the Supreme Lord.
ohe harinäm, tava mahimä
tava pade nati ämi kori bär bär
1) O holy name! Your glories are boundless! Therefore I bow down at Your lotus feet again and again.
tomär caraëe paòi' hoiyä kätar
2) O grand festival of Gokula! O ocean of bliss! I fall down at Your lotus feet, for I am feeling very distressed and troubled at heart.
tumi kåñëa, purna-vapu,
tava pade poòi' tava guna kori gän
3) You are Lord Kåñëa, Your divine form is fully perfect and complete, and You are the origin of all transcendental mellows. Falling down at Your lotus feet, I sing of Your divine qualities.
je kore tomär pade ekänta
tä'r ärti-räçi näç koroha niçcoy
4) You definitely destroy the multitude of afflictions of that person who takes exclusive shelter at Your holy feet.
sarva aparädha tumi näça
näma-aparädhävadhi näçaho tähär
5) You destroy all of his offenses, even to the extent of the näma-aparädhas (the ten offenses against the chanting of the holy name).
sarva-doña dhauta kori'
siàhäsane baiso tumi parama äçroy
6) Cleansing him of all impurities, You who are the supreme shelter are then seated upon the throne of his heart.
'raso vai sah' boli' veda kore tuwä gän
7) You are delightful and beautiful, the personification of complete cognizance and thickened bliss. The Vedas sing of You, saying, "The Supreme Personality of Godhead is verily the personification of all transcendental mellows."*
mägaye sarvadä näma-sphurti sarva-kñane
8) At the lotus feet of Çréla Rupa Goswämé, Bhaktivinoda constantly begs that at every moment there may be the direct revelation of the holy name.
närada muni, bäjäya véëä,
näma amani, udita hoya,
1) When the great soul Närada Muni plays his stringed véëä, the holy name of Rädhikä-Ramana descends and immediately appears amidst the kértan of the Lord's devotees.
amiya-dhärä, bariñe ghana,
bhakata-jana, saghane näce,
bhoriyä äpana hiyä
2) Like a monsoon cloud, the holy name showers pure nectar into their ears. All the devotees, due to great ecstasy, enthusiastically dance to their heart's content.
mädhuré-pura, asabo paçi',
keho vä kände, keho vä näce,
keho mäte mane mane
3) All the inhabitants of the universe become maddened upon entering these intoxicating showers of divine sweetness. Some people cry, some dance and others become fully intoxicated within their minds.
panca-vadana, närade dhori',
premera saghana rol
kamaläsana, näciyä bole,
'bolo bolo hari bolo'
4) The five-faced Lord Çiva embraces Närada Muni and repeatedly makes loud screams of ecstatic joy, while Lord Brahmä dances very ecstatically and exclaims, "All of you chant 'Haribol ! Haribol!'"
'hari hari' boli' gäy
näma-prabhäve, mätilo viçva,
näma-rasa sabe päy
5) In supreme happiness the thousand-faced Ananta Çeña sings and calls out, "Hari! Hari!" By the influence of the transcendental vibration of that name, the whole universe becomes ecstatically maddened as everyone tastes and relishes the mellows of the holy name.
çré-kåñëa-näma, rasane sphuri',
purä'lo ämära äça
çré-rupa-pade, yäcaye ihä,
6) The holy name of Çré Kåñëa has fulfilled all my desires by thus manifesting on everyone's tongue. Bhaktivinoda, the humble servant of the Lord, therefore prays at the feet of Çré Rupa Goswämé that the chanting of Harinäm may always continue in this way.
rädhikä-caraëa-padma, sakala çreyera sadma,
jatane je nähi ärädhilo
rädhä-padmänkita dhäma, båndäbana jär näma,
tähä je nä äçroy korilo
1) He who has failed to carefully worship the lotus feet of Çrématé Rädhikä, which are the abode of all auspiciousness; he who has not taken shelter in the transcendental abode known as Våndävana, which is decorated with the beautiful lotus flower named Rädhä...
rädhikä-bhäva-gambhér, citta jebä mahädhér,
gaëa-sanga nä koilo jévane
kemone se çyämänanda, rasa-sindhu-snänänanda,
labhibe bujhoha eka-mane
2) ...he who in this life has not associated with the devotees of Rädhikä, who are very wise and whose devotion for Rädhä is very deep-how will such a person ever experience the bliss of bathing in the ocean of Lord Çyäma's sublime mellows? Please understand this most attentively.
3) Çrématé Rädhikä is the exemplary teacher of the brilliant mellows of conjugal love. This pure love between Rädhä and Mädhava is worthy of discussion and contemplation.
je dharilo rädhä-pada
se pailo kåñëa-pada amulya-ratane
4) He who has grasped hold of the lotus feet of Rädhä with great care obtains the lotus feet of Kåñëa, which are like priceless jewels.
rädhä-pada vinä kabhu
kåñëa nähi mile
rädhär däsér kåñëa sarva-vede bole
5) Without taking shelter of the lotus feet of Rädhä, one can never personally meet Lord Kåñëa. The Vedic scriptures declare that Kåñëa is the property of the maidservants of Çré Rädhä.
choòata dhana-jan, kalatra-suta-mita,
choòata karama geyän
rädhä-pada-pankaja, madhurata sevan,
6) Abandoning wealth, followers, wife, sons, and friends, and giving up materialistic activities and intellectual knowledge, being absorbed in the sweetness of service to the lotus feet of Çrématé Rädhäräëé-this is Bhaktivinoda's conviction.
tad upari çré-gokula-båndäraëya näm
1) Beyond the Virajä River lies the pure spiritual sky, and above that Vaikuëöha realm lies the divine abode known as Çré Goloka Våndävana.
båndäbana cintämaëi, cid-änanda-ratna-khani,
tahi mäjhe camatkär, kåñëa vanaspati sär,
néla-maëi tamäla jemon
2) The land of Våndävana is made of spiritual gems and is therefore likened to a mine of fully cognizant and blissful jewels. This transcendentally conscious realm is certainly a wonderful and extraordinary sight. Within that abode is the most astonishing presence of Lord Kåñëa, who is compared to a tamäl tree, the king of trees possessing the hue of a dark sapphire.
svarna-mayé, latä sarva-dhäma-jayé,
hlädiné-çaktir sär, 'mahäbhäva' näm jär,
3) Entwined upon that blackish tree a beautiful golden creeper has arisen, who is the conqueror of all realms, being the supreme purifier. Her name is Mahäbhäva, being the essence of the supreme pleasure-giving hlädiné potency. She is the enchantress of Çré Kåñëa, who is Himself the enchanter of the three worlds.
rädhä-näme paricita, tuñiyä govinda-cita,
viräjaye parama änande
sei latä-patra-phul, lalitädi sakhé-kul,
sabe mili' våkñe dåòha bändhe
4) Known by the name of Rädhä, She remains shining there in great ecstasy, always engaged in satisfying Govinda's heart. The leaves and flowers of that creeper form the assembly of Her girlfriends headed by Lalitä. Together She and all Her friends entwine that blackish tree in a tight embrace.
latär paraçe praphulla
latä chäòi' nähi rahe kono käl
5) At the touch of this creeper, the tamäl tree blooms; without the embrace of the creeper, He can no longer exist.
tamäla chaòiyä latä nähi
se latä milan sadä-käla yäce
6) The creeper never desires to leave the company of the tamäl tree; the creeper perpetually craves Their union.
bhakativinoda milan dohär
nä cähe kakhona vinä kichu är
7) Other than the meeting of these two, Bhaktivinoda desires nothing, but nothing else.
chinna-puraöa jini', varna-vikäçiné,
1) The beloved daughter of King Våñabhänu is the crest-jewel of all young women. She is fond of wearing blue garments. Her radiant complexion is very pleasing and conquers the beauty of freshly cut gold, Her locks of hair are nicely arranged, and She is the life and soul of Lord Kåñëa.
2) She is artfully adorned with jewels, She is very learned in the science of Hari-rasa, and Her forehead is nicely decorated with tilaka. Her breasts are covered with a beautiful corset and adorned with valuable gems, and Her eyes are anointed with black collyrium. Thus She appears to be relishable sweetness personified.
sakala tyajiyä se
däsé ho'ye bhaja parama-jatane
3) Giving up everything and becoming a maidservant at the lotus feet of Rädhä, just worship and serve Her with great care and attention.
4) Beholding Her effulgent rays of pure beauty, the goddesses Rati, Gauré, and Lélä abandon all their pride.
paräjita hoy jänhära caraëe
5) The good fortune attributed to the goddesses Çacé, Lakñmé, and Satyä is completely defeated in the presence of Rädhä's feet.
paräjay mäne hoiyä vivädé
6) The group of rival gopés led by Candrävalé are forced to accept their defeat before Çrématé Rädhäräëé, for She alone controls Kåñëa. Thus they always sulk and simply remain quarrelsome.
7) Bhaktivinoda, a resident of Çré Godruma, always endeavors for the lotus feet of Rädhä, the most beloved of Lord Hari.
båñabhänu-räja, çuddha kalpa-ballé,
1) Çrématé Rädhäräëé is the crest jewel of all amorous young maidens who take pleasure in relishing transcendental mellows. She is a beautiful swan in the waters of love for Kåñëa, a transcendental wish-fulfilling creeper on the family tree of king Våñabhänu, and the original source of all the goddesses of fortune.
rakta paööa-vastra, nitamba-upari,
kñudra ghanöi dule tä'y
kuca-yugopari, duli' muktä-mälä,
citta-häré çobhä päy
2) Upon Her hips She wears red silken cloth on which tiny bells are swinging, and upon Her breasts sways a lovely necklace of pearls. In this way She looks so splendrous that She steals the heart of the beholder.
kaiçora amåta, tärunya-karpur,
3) Her bodily luster is exceptionally effulgent, like the golden whorl of the best of lotus flowers. Her two sweetly smiling lips display the immortal nectar of adolescence mixed with the fragrant camphor of new youthfulness. She is completely faithful to Lord Kåñëa.
banänte ägata, braja-pati-suta,
heri' çankäkula, nayana-bhangite,
ädarete stava kore
4) Seeing that the supremely mischievous son of Nanda has arrived on the outskirts of the Våndävana forest as He returns from tending the cows, She becomes stricken with anxiety and affectionately offers prayers to Him by the hints and signals of Her eyes.
lalita lalitä-snehete praphulla-
5) Çrématé Rädhäräëé is the life and soul of all the elder women of Vraja, and is especially dear to Mother Yaçodä. Basking in the affection of charming Lalitä-devé, Rädhä's bodily form has fully blossomed like a lotus, thus displaying Her beautiful and graceful limbs.
viçäkhära sane, bana-phula tuli',
gänthe vaijayanté mälä
6) Accompanied by Viçäkhä, Rädhä picks forest flowers and strings together a vaijayanté flower garland for Kåñëa. She is the well-wisher of all, and is always situated upon the chest of the Lord, being the most beloved young girlfriend of Kåñëa.
snigdha venu-rave, druta-gati jäi',
kunje peye naöa-bare
hasita-nayané, namra-mukhé saté,
karna kanòuyana kore
7) Hearing the soft sound of the flute, She moves swiftly through the forest, and finding in the bowers of Vraja the best of dancing actors, the chaste Rädhä with smiling eyes turns her face downward in shyness while restlessly scratching Her ear.
sparçiyä kamala, väyu su-çétala,
kore jabe kunòa-néra
nidäghe tathäy, nija-gaëa saha,
8) When the breeze, which is scented with the fragrance of lotus flowers, makes the waters of Rädhä-kunòa very cool, then, in the warmth of the summer in those cooling waters, Rädhä along with all Her girlfriends satisfies the hero of Gokula.
kohaye caraëa dhori'
heno rädhä-däsya, sudhéra-sampad,
kabe dibe kåpä kori'
9) Bhaktivinoda says to Rupa and Raghunätha, clasping their lotus feet, "When will you bestow your mercy upon me and give me eternal service to such a Rädhä as this, for Her service is the wealth of the truly wise."
mahäbhäva-cintämaëi, udbhävita tanu-khäni,
kärunya-tärunya är, lävanya-amåta-dhär,
tähe snätä lakñmé-jayé saté
1) Çrématé Rädhäräëé's transcendental bodily form has arisen out of the mahäbhäva-cintämaëi. She is the decoration of the Lord of the sakhés, and is effulgent with divinely splendrous potency. She takes her first bath in the shower of the nectar of compassion, Her second bath in the nectar of youth, and Her third bath in the nectar of bodily luster. She thus conquers the beauty of even the goddess of fortune, and is endowed with the prominent quality of chastity.
jär, saundarya kunkuma-sär,
2) She wears the silken säré of modesty, and on Her forehead She wears the red kunkum dot of loveliness. Her body is decorated with pictures drawn in musk, and She wears a necklace that is adorned with the fresh jewels of the ecstatic symptoms-shivering in the body, flowing of tears from the eyes, standing of hairs on the body, being stunned, perspiring, faltering of the voice, inactivity, and madness.
panca-viàçati guna, phula-mälä su-çobhana,
3) Çré Rädhä is very much beautified by wearing the flower garland strung with Her twenty-five transcendental qualities,* and She is clothed in the two-part silken garment of both sober and non-sober emotional ecstasies. Covered indignation constitutes Her braided and ornamented hair, and She is radiant with the tilak of auspicious fortune. The name and glories of Kåñëa are the delight of Her ears.
kérti-yaça-antahpure, garva-khaööopari sphure,
4) Çrématé Rädhäräëé's lips have become very red from chewing betel nuts, and the black collyrium of cunningness is clearly visible on Her eyes. Her smile is like sweet camphor, and she is always fond of joking. She sits upon a bed of pride in a palace of fame and glory, and a garland of extraordinary transformations of ecstatic love hangs swinging from around Her neck.
candrä-jayé kacchapé raviné
5) Her breasts are covered by the bodice of loving anger. She plays on a lute called kacchapé (turtle-shaped) to announce the conquest of Her rival Candrävalé. Rädhä is always fond of placing Her playful lotuslike hands on the shoulders of two of Her girlfriends. Her youthful form is very graceful and slender, and She is the exclusive distributor of the nectar of Lord Çyämasundara.
e heno rädhikä-pada, tomäder su-sampada,
dante tåëa yäce tava päy
e bhaktivinoda dén, rädhä-däsyämåta-kana,
rupa raghunätha! deho täy
6) O Rupa and Raghunätha! Your great treasure is the lotus feet of such a Rädhikä. This Bhaktivinoda, who is very fallen and lowly, prays at your lotus feet with a straw of the street between his teeth. Please bestow upon me a nectarean particle of eternal service to Çrématé Rädhäräëé!
manca manoharaçobhita phule
1) In the forests of Vraja on the banks of the Yamunä there are beautiful thrones bedecked with flowers.
tad upari kotoòäkaye päkhé
2) The creepers and fruit trees give satisfaction to the eyes and upon these trees and creepers many birds sing sweetly.
malaya anilavahaye dhére
ali-kula madhu-lobheye phire
3) A breeze from the Malaya hills blows ever so gently while swarms of bumblebees fly about in search of honey.
bäsantéra räkäuòupa tadä
kaumudé bitoreädare sadä
4) The full glowing moon of the spring season then distributes its cooling rays out of love and respect.
5) At such a time as this the best of relishers begins His räsa dance the holder of the flute.
rädhä-saha näceänanda kori
6) Millions of cowherd maidens Lord Hari is in the midst dancing along with Rädhä rejoicing in great bliss.
7) The Enchantress of Mädhava singing beautiful songs steals away the minds of all the three worlds.
häräolo candrä- valéra mati
8) All moving and non-moving beings enchanted by chaste Rädhä who has forcefully defeated the pride of Candrävalé.
antarita hoyrädhä takhon
9) After agitating the mind of youthful Vraja-Kiçor Rädhä oh so suddenly disappears from the scene.
räsa bhängalo (äji)rädhä vihane
10) This Bhaktivinoda perceives some calamity-the räsa dance has now stopped in the absence of Rädhä.
räkhite närilokori' jatan
11) Millions of cowherd damsels are unable to please the mind of Mädhava although endeavoring to do so.
'eso eso rädhe!'òäkoye çyäm
12) The flute song calls the name of Rädhikä "Come here, come here, Rädhe!" Çyäma calls out in the night.
13) When the Çré-räsa-manòala comes to a halt in search of Beloved Rädhä He then goes.
'dekhä diyä rädhe!räkhoha
boliyä kändayekänane kän
14) "Please appear, O Rädhe! Kindly save My life!" calling out while weeping Kän in the forest.
miliyä paränjuòäya hari
15) In a secluded grove embracing Rädhikä regaining His life and soul Hari is relieved.
bole, 'tunhu vinäkähära
tunhu lägi' morbaraja-bäsa'
16) Saying, "Without You, where is the räsa dance? Only because of You do I live in Vraja."
17) At the lotus feet of such a Rädhikä this Bhaktivinoda says weeping,
kinkoré koriyärakho apani'
18) "Among Your personal associates please count me also; making me Your maidservant keep me as Your own."
rädha-bhajane jadi mati
kåñëa-bhajana tava akäraëa gelä
1) If your desire for the worship of Çrématé Rädhäräëé does not come about, then your so-called worship of Kåñëa is completely useless.
ätapa-rohita suraya nähi
rädhä-virahita mädhava nähi mäni
2) Just as I never know the sun to be without without sunlight, so I do not care to regard Mädhava without Rädhä.
kevala mädhava pujaye so
rädhä anädara koro-i abhimäné
3) One who worships Mädhava alone is imperfect in his knowledge, and one who disrespects Rädhä is simply conceited and proud.
kabanhi nähi korobi
citte icchasi jadi braja-rasa-ranga
4) You should never associate with such a person if you at all desire within your heart to participate in the eternal sportive pastimes of Vraja.
rädhikä-däsé jadi hoy
çéghra-i mila-i taba gokula-kän
5) If one considers oneself to be a humble maidservant of Rädhikä, then such a person very quickly meets the Lord of Gokula.
brahmä, çiva, närada,
rädhikä-pada-raja pujaye mäni'
6) Lord Brahmä, Lord Çiva, Närada Muni, the personified Vedas, and Lakñmé-devé all honor and worship the dust of Rädhikä's lotus feet.
umä, ramä, satyä, çacé,
7) The Vedic scriptures declare that the goddesses Umä, Ramä, Satyä, Çacé, Candrä, and Rukminé are all personal expansions of Çrématé Rädhäräëé.
bhakativinoda tä'r mägaye caraë
8) Bhaktivinoda, whose only treasure is the service of such a Rädhä, humbly begs for Her lotus feet.
bhojana-lälase, rasane ämär,
çunoha vidhäna mor
khäiyä thäkoha bhor
1) O my tongue, you who are overwhelmed with the desire for tasting material enjoyment, please hear my instructions. Always remain deeply absorbed in drinking the nectarean loving mellows of the beautiful names of the divine couple Rädhä and Kåñëa.
ati-miñöa manohar tarpana-dhäm
2) The name of Rädhikä is ever-fresh and lovely, and is pure ambrosia. It is very sweet, utterly enchanting and is the abode of complete satisfaction.
atéva jatane koro miçrita lubdhe
3) With great care, you should eagerly blend this ambrosial name of Rädhikä with the wonderful sweet condensed milk of the name of Kåñëa.
surabhi räga hima ramya
aharaha pän koroha sukha jäni'
4) Now add into that mixture the sweet fragrance of loving affection, which is both cool and delightful. Drink this nectar day and night, and you will know what true happiness is.
nähi rabe rasane präkåta
adbhuta rasa tuwä puräobo äçä
5) No longer will there remain on the tongue a thirst for mundane tastes, for these wonderful transcendental mellows will fulfill all of your desires.
jäco-i rädhä-kåñëa-näma pramod
6) At the lotus feet of Raghunätha däsa Goswämé, Bhaktivinoda begs for ecstatic rapture in hearing and chanting the divine names of Rädhä and Kåñëa.
(Bengali songs based on Çré Caitanya Mahäprabhu's Sanskrit Çikñäñöakam)
gäoyäi aichana bhäva-vibhorä
1) Lord Gauräìga, whose complexion is golden and who is the deliverer of the fallen souls of Kali-yuga, sings as follows, overwhelmed with spiritual ecstasy:
kåñëa-kértana jaya citta bihäré
2) "All glories to the chanting of the holy name of Kåñëa! It thoroughly cleanses the mirror of the heart. This chanting delights the soul.
kåñëa-kértana jaya kleça-nivåtti
3) "All glories to the chanting of the holy name of Kåñëa! It extinguishes the horrible forest fire of material existence. This chanting removes all material tribulations.
kåñëa-kértana jaya bhakti-viläs
4) "All glories to the chanting of the holy name of Kåñëa! It appears like the moon in the heart and distributes its cooling moonlight, thus causing the white lotus of good fortune to bloom. This chanting is the pastime of devotion.
kåñëa-kértana jaya siddha-swarup
5) "All glories to the chanting of the holy name of Kåñëa! It is compared to a young bride, chaste and devoted to transcendental knowledge itself. This chanting is the highest perfection of life.
kåñëa-kértana jaya plävana-murti
6) "All glories to the chanting of the holy name of Kåñëa! It is glorious, as it causes the ocean of ecstatic bliss to swell and overflow. This chanting is an inundation of love of Godhead.
kåñëa-kértana jaya prema-vidhätä
7) "All glories to the chanting of the holy name of Kåñëa! It gives one a taste of fully satisfying nectar at every step. This chanting is the bestower of ecstatic love of God."
kåñëa-kértana jaya prema-nidän
8) All glories to the chanting of the holy name of Kåñëa! It bathes the soul of Bhaktivinoda. This chanting is a storehouse of love of God.
näm aneka tuwä çikhäoli äni'
1) O Lord, You are an ocean of mercy. You have brought Your innumerable holy names to this world and have taught the chanting of them to the fallen living beings just for their deliverance.
sakala çakati dei näme
grahane räkholi nähi käla-vicärä
2) You invest all Your energies in Your own holy name, and for chanting Your holy name You have not established any rules such as consideration of time or place.
viçve biläoli karunä-nidänä
3) Your divine holy name, being nondifferent from You, is like touchstone. You have distributed Your holy name throughout the entire creation, and that is the essence of Your kindness.
tuwä doyä aichana parama
atiçoy manda nätha! bhäga hämärä
4) Such is Your mercy, which is supremely magnanimous, O Lord, but I am extremely unfortunate.
nähi janamalo näme
bhakativinoda-citta duhkhe vibhor
5) My attraction for the holy name has never come about; therefore the heart of Bhaktivinoda is overwhelmed with sadness.
parama jatane tähi labho adhikär
1) If your mind is always absorbed in chanting the glories of Lord Kåñëa with great care, then by that process of Çré-kåñëa-kértana you will attain transcendental qualification.
tånädhika héna, déna,
äpane mänobi sadä chäòi' ahaìkär
2) You should give up all false pride and always consider yourself to be worthless, destitute, lower and more humble than a blade of grass.
prati-hiàsä tyaji' anye korobi pälan
3) You should practice forgiveness like that of a tree, and giving up violence toward other living beings, you should protect and maintain them.
jévana-nirvähe äne udvega
para-upakäre nija-sukha päsaribe
4) In the course of passing your life, you should never give anxiety to others, but rather do good to them while forgetting about your own happiness.
hoile-o sarva-gune guné
pratiñöhäçä chäòi koro amani hådoy
5) When one has thus become a great soul, possessing all good qualities, one should abandon all desires for fame and honor and make one's heart humble.
sarva-jive jäni' sadä
korobi sammäna sabe ädare sarvadä
6) Knowing that Lord Kåñëa resides within all living creatures, one should with great respect consistently show honor to all beings.
dainya, doyä, anye mäna,
cäri gune guné hoi' koroha kértan
7) By possessing these four qualities-humility, mercifulness, respect toward others, and the renunciation of desires for prestige-one becomes virtuous. In such a state you may sing the glories of the Supreme Lord.
heno adhikära kabe dibe he ämäy
8) Weeping, Bhaktivinoda submits his prayer at the lotus feet of the the Lord: "O Lord, when will you give me the qualification for possessing attributes such as these?"
prabhu tava pada-yuge
nähi mägi deha-sukha, vidyä, dhana, jan
1) O Lord! This is my humble submission at Your lotus feet. I do not ask from You sensual pleasure, learning, wealth, or followers.
nähi mägi swarga, ära
mokña nähi mägi
nä kori prärthanä kono vibhutira lägi'
2) I do not beg for residence on the celestial planets, nor do I wish liberation from this mundane existence. Nor do I pray for the attainment of any mystic powers.
je janma päi
janme janme jeno tava näma-guna gäi
3) Whatever birth I may obtain due to the faults of my previous worldly activities, I pray that I may sing the glories of Your holy name birth after birth.
ei mätra äçä mama tomär
ahoituké bhakti håde jäge anukñane
4) This is my only desire, O Lord, and I submit it at Your lotus feet: That unmotivated devotion to You may constantly awaken in my heart.
viñaye je préti ebe
sei-mata préti hauk caraëe tomär
5) As much attachment as I now have for worldly affairs, I pray that a similar degree of attachment may develop for Your holy feet.
vipade sampade tähä
dine dine våddhi hauk nämera prabhäve
6) I pray that my love for You may remain undisturbed both in misfortune and in prosperity, and that day after day it may increase by the power and influence of Your holy name.
paçu-pakñi ho'ye thäki
swarge vä niroye
tava bhakti rahu bhaktivinoda-hådoye
7) Be my life in heaven or in hell, be it as a bird or a beast, may devotion to You always remain within the heart of Bhaktivinoda.
anädi' karama-phale, poòi' bhavärnava-jale,
toribäre nä dekhi upäy
e-viñaya-halähale, divä-niçi hiyä jwale,
mana kabhu sukha nähi päy
1) As a result of my selfish activities, which are without beginning, I have fallen into the ocean of material existence, and I see no means of deliverance from this great ocean of nescience. Day and night my heart burns from the vicious poison of these worldly activities, and due to this my mind never finds any real happiness.
äçä-päça-çata-çata, kleça deya avirata,
pravåtti-urmira tähe khelä
käma-krodha-ädi choy, bäöapäòe deya bhoy,
avasäna hoilo äsi' belä
2) Bound by hundreds and hundreds of desires like nooses around my neck, they constantly trouble me. In this ocean of nescience play the waves of ever-increasing materialistic tendency. There are also many thieves and rogues, of whom six are prominent: lust, anger, envy, greed, illusion, and madness. They are causing me great fear, and in this way my life is coming to an end.
dui, more pratäréya loi,
avaçeñe phele sindhu-jale
e heno samaye, bandhu, tumi kåñëa kåpä-sindhu,
kåpä kori' tolo more bale
3) The two highway robbers named intellectual knowledge and fruitive activity have cheated and misled me, and finally they have thrown me into the ocean of misery. At such a time as this, dear Kåñëa, You are my only friend. You are an ocean of mercy. Please be kind and by Your strength uplift me from this condition of suffering.
dhori', päda-padma-dhuli kori',
deho bhaktivinode äçroy
ämi tava nitya-däs, bhuliyä mäyära päç,
baddha ho'ye ächi doyämoy
4) Grasping hold of this fallen servant, and fixing him as a particle of dust on your lotus feet, kindly give shelter to Bhaktivinoda. O most merciful Lord! I am actually Your eternal servant, but having forgotten this I have become bound up in the snare of mäyä.
aparädha-phale mama, citta bhelo vajra-sama,
tuwä näme nä labhe vikär
hatäç hoiye, hari, tava näm ucca kori',
boro duhkhe òäki bär bär
1) O Lord Hari, as a result of my offenses incurred in previous lifetimes, my heart has become hard as a thunderbolt, and feels no change upon chanting Your holy name. Now in utter hopelessness, O Lord Hari, I loudly sing Your name, and in great distress I call out to You again and again.
déna doyämoy karunä-nidän
bhäva-bindhu dei räkhoha parän
2) O Lord who is compassionate towards the fallen souls! O origin of all mercy! Please give to me a drop of divine ecstasy and thereby save my life!
kabe tuwä näma-uccaraëe
nayane jharabo dara dara lor
3) When will an incessant stream of tears flow dripping and dripping from my eyes at the articulation of Your holy name?
mukhe bola ädha ädha bähiräbo
4) When will a faltering voice choked with emotion arise in my throat, and when will words garbled due to ecstasy come from my mouth?
pulake bharabo çaréra
sweda-kampa-stambha habe bära bära
5) When will my body be filled with ecstatic rapture, and when will there be perspiration, trembling, and a stunned sensation again and again?
näma-samäçraye dharobuì parän
6) When, out of divine ecstasy, will all consciousness be lost in my pale and discolored body? And when will I hold onto my very life under the shelter of Your holy name?
milabo hämära kiye aiche
ro-owe bhaktivinoda mati hén
7) This weeping Bhaktivinoda, who is devoid of all good intelligence, sobs, "O Lord, how will such a day ever be mine?"
gäite gäite näma ki daçä
'kåñëa-nitya-däsa mui' hådoye sphurilo
1) What was my condition after repeatedly chanting the holy name? The realization that "I am the eternal servant of Kåñëa" spontaneously became manifest within my heart.
jäniläm mäyä-päçe e
govinda-virahe duhkha päi nänä-mate
2) I realized that I was ensnared in the noose of mäyä's illusion, being trapped within this dull mundane universe, and that I simply experience misery in various ways due to separation from Lord Govinda.
är je saàsära mor nähi
kähä jäi' kåñëa heri-e cintä viçälo
3) Furthermore, I realized that I do not like this worldly existence. "Where can I go to see Kåñëa?"-this was my great anxiety.
käìdite käìdite mor
varñä-dhärä heno cakñe hoilo udoy
4) Crying and crying, tears poured from my eyes, appearing just like torrents of rain in the monsoon season.
nimeñe hoilo mora
govinda-viraha är sahite akñam
5) Unable to bear separation from Lord Govinda any longer, for me the passing of a moment became like a hundred long ages.
çunya dharä-tala, caudike dekhiye,
paräna udäsa hoy
ki kori, ki kori, sthira nähi hoy,
jévana nähiko roy
6) As I look about in all directions, the surface of the earth appears to be void, and my very life-breath feels empty. What am I doing? What am I doing? I do not feel at all tranquil, and the life within my body is slipping away.
braja-bäsé-gaë, mora präna räkho,
bhakativinoda, minati mäniyä,
laohe tähäre säthe
7) O residents of Vraja-dhäma! Please save my life and show me the Lord of Çré Rädhä! O consider the prayers of this Bhaktivinoda and take him into His company!
sahite nä päri
parän chäòite är din dui cäri
8) I am unable to further tolerate this separation from my Lord Çré Kåñëa and am ready to give up my life in two days or four.
gäite govinda-näm, upajilo bhäva-gräm,
dekhiläm jamunära kule
båñabhänu-sutä-saìge, çyäma-naöa-bara raìge,
bäìçaré bäjäya népa-mule
1) Upon singing the holy name of Govinda, a host of ecstasies arose within me... and I saw Lord Çyämasundar, the best of dancing actors, standing on the banks of the Yamunä in the company of the daughter of Mahäräja Våñabhänu. He was playing His flute with great delight at the base of a kadamba tree.
yugala-dhana, asthira hoilo mana,
jnäna-härä hoinu takhon
koto-kñane nähi jäni, jnäna-labha hoilo mäni,
ära nähi bhelo daraçan
2) Seeing the treasured Divine Couple of Vraja, my mind became unsteady and I lost consciousness. I do not know for how long I was unconscious, but when I awoke that vision of Rädhä and Kåñëa was no longer present.
sakhi go, kemate dharibo
nimeña hoilo yugera samän
1) O my dear girlfriend! How will I maintain my life? The passing of a mere moment has become like a vast age of time.
çrävanera dhärä, äìkhi-variñoy,
çunya bhelo dharä-tala
govinda-virahe, präna nähi rohe,
kemone väncibo bolo
2) Tears flow from my eyes like torrents of rain in the month of Çravana, and the face of the earth has become totally void. In separation from Govinda my life cannot go on... please tell how I will be able to live.
bhakativinoda, asthira hoiyä,
punah nämäçraya kori'
òäke rädhä-nätha, diyä daraçan,
präna räkho, nähe mari
3) Bhaktivinoda has become very restless and again takes shelter of the holy name, calling out, "O Lord of Rädhä! By bestowing Your audience, please save my life! By Your mercy alone I shall not perish!"
bandhu-gaë! çunoha vacana
bhävete vibhora, thäkiye jakhon,
dekhä deya citta-cor
1) O my dear friends! Please hear my words. When the thief of my heart appears to me, I remain overwhelmed in pure ecstasy.
vicakñana kori', dekhite cähile,
punah nähi dekhi', käìdaye parän,
duhkhera nähi thäke or
2) When I scheme to see Him more closely, He suddenly becomes invisible. Thus losing sight of Him again, my soul weeps, and there is no limit to the unhappiness that I feel.
jagatera bandhu sei kabhu
more loy sätha
jathä tathä rakhu more ämära sei präna-nätha
3) Sometimes that friend of the universe takes me as one of His associates; but however He chooses to treat me, He is still the Lord of my life.
darçana-änanda-däne, sukha deya mora präne,
bole more pranaya-vacan
punah adarçana diyä, dagdha kore mora hiyä,
präne mora märe präna-dhan
4) By bestowing His blissful audience, He gives happiness to my soul, and He speaks words of love to me. But again by His absence He burns my heart, and He who is the treasure of my life gives distress to my soul.
jähe tä'r sukha hoy, sei
nija sukhe-duhkhe mor sarvadä-i sama
5) Whatever His happiness is, that is also my happiness. Therefore I do not care about my own happiness or distress-they are equal in all ways.
bhakativinoda, saàyoge, viyoge,
tähe jäne präneçvara
tä'ra sukhe sukhé, sei präna-näth,
se kabhu nä hoy para
6) In meeting or in separation, Bhaktivinoda knows only Kåñëa to be the Lord of his life and is made happy only by His happiness. He is the Lord of Bhaktivinoda's soul, and He will never be looked upon with indifference.
rädhä-saha vaàçé-dhäré, viçva-jana-citta-häré,
präna mor täìhära caraëe
1) Situated upon the Yoga-Péöha surrounded by the eight chief gopés in a kadamba tree grove within Våndävana with His beloved Rädhä is the holder of the flute the stealer of the hearts of all living beings in the universe-I lay down my life at Their lotus feet.
pälya-däsé sadä bhävi doìhära caraë
2) According to the directions of my superior sakhé, I render service to the Divine Couple. I always consider myself a dependent maidservant of the lotus feet of the Divine Couple.
kabhu kåpä kori, mama hasta dhori',
madhura vacana bole
tämbula loiyä, khäy dui jane,
mälä loya kutuhale
3) Sometimes, out of great mercy, my sakhé holds my hand and speaks sweet words to me. Taking the betel nuts I have prepared she offers them to those two persons and accepts flower garlands for Them in great delight.
adarçana hoy kakhon ki
nä dekhiyä doìhe hiyä jwale
4) By some deception They periodically disappear from my sight. Not seeing the Divine Couple of Vraja, my heart burns in agony.
jekhäne sekhäne, thäkuka du'jane,
ämi to' caraëa-däsé
milane änanda, virahe jätanä,
sakala samäna bäsi
5) Wherever those two may be I am certainly a humble maidservant of Their lotus feet. I consider the ecstasies of meeting Them and the agonies of separation from Them to be exactly the same.
rädhä-kåñëa präna mor
more räkhi' märi' sukhe thäkuka du'jane
6) In life or death, Rädhä and Kåñëa are my life and soul. May They always be happy, whether They choose to protect me or kill me.
bhakativinoda, äna nähi jäne,
rädhikära gaëe, thäkiyä satata,
7) This Bhaktivinoda knows nothing beyond this. Falling down at the lotus feet of the sakhé whom he serves and always remaining among the associates of Çré Rädhikä he prays for the lotus feet of the Divine Couple of Vraja.
Thus ends Gétävalé by Çréla Saccidänanda Bhaktivinoda Thäkura
When the dancing and chanting is concluded:
jaya çré godruma-candra
gorä-cäìda ké jaya
jaya prema-dätä çré nityänanda ké jaya!
jaya çré çäntipura-nätha ké jaya!
jaya çré gadädhara panòita goswämé ké jaya!
jaya çré çréväsädi bhakta-vånda ké jaya!
jaya çré navadvépa-dhäma ké jaya!
jaya çré näma-haööa ké jaya!
jaya çré çrotå-varga ké jaya!
çré çré näm haööera
déna-héna çré kedäranäth bhaktivinoda
Signed, the sweeper of the Marketplace of the Holy Name, the lowly and destitute Kedäranäth Bhaktivinoda.