|NITAAI-Veda.nyf > All Scriptures By Acharyas > Bhaktivinoda Thakura > Gitavali > Gitavali Chps > Part-XI|
Eight Prayers Glorifying the Holy Name
- Eight Songs -
(Bengali songs based on Shrila Rupa Goswami’s Sanskrit Namashtaka)
[Lalita—Ekatala & Dashakushi]
swa-nam-mahima koralo pracar
1) Through the mouth of Shrila Rupa Goswami, the son of Mother Shaci preached the glories of His own divine holy name.
jo nam, so hari—kachu nahi bheda
so nam satya-miti gayati veda
2) There is no difference between that holy name of Lord Hari and Lord Hari Himself. The Vedic scriptures sing of the true glory of the Lord’s holy name.
sabu upanishada, ratna-mala-dyuti,
mangala-arati, koro-i anukshana,
3) All the Upanishads are like a necklace of beautifully effulgent jewels shining before the lotus feet of the holy name. They perpetually perform mangala arati for the holy name with lamps of two rows of five ghee wicks.
caudda bhuvana maha, deva-nara-danava,
bhaga jankara balavan
nama-rasa-piyusha, pibo-i anukshana,
4) Within the fourteen worlds, those demigods, men and demons whose fortune has been very great constantly drink the nectar of the sweet mellows of the holy name, casting aside all kinds of fruitive activities and intellectual forms of knowledge.
nitya-mukta punah, nama-upasana,
satata koro-i sama-gane
goloke baithata, gaowe nirantara,
nama-viraha nahi jane
5) The eternally liberated souls living in the spiritual world, however, always worship the holy name in beautifully composed hymns and sit in Goloka Vrindavana perpetually singing the name. Therefore they do not know any separation from the holy name.
sabu-rasa-akara, `hari’ iti dvy-akshara,
sabu-bhave koralun ashroy
nama carane pa’di, bhaktivinoda kohe,
tuwa pade magahun niloy
6) The two syllables Ha and ri are a mine of all varieties of devotional mellow. Every ecstasy of devotion has taken shelter in them. Falling at the lotus feet of the holy name, Bhaktivinoda says, “O Harinam, I pray for residence at Your lotus feet.”
jaya jaya harinam, cidanandamrita-dham,
nija-jane kripa kori’, nama-rupe avatari’,
jive doya korile apar
1) All glories, all glories to the holy name of the Lord, the abode of immortal transcendental bliss! The Supreme Absolute Truth, who possesses an eternal form of sacred syllables, has descended in the form of the holy name. Thereby He shows mercy to His own devotees while showering boundless compassion upon all fallen souls.
jaya `hari’, `krishna’, `ram’, jaga-jana-suvishram,
muni-vrinda nirantar, je namera samadar,
kori’ gay bhoriya vadana
2) All glories to the Supreme Personality of Godhead who is called by different names such as Hari, Krishna and Rama! He is the auspicious resting place of all living entities within the universe, and He delights the minds of all souls. Wise sages maintain great reverence for His holy name and constantly sing it by filling their mouths with the sound.
ohe krishna-namakshar, tumi sarva-shakti-dhar,
toma vina bhava-sindhu, uddharite nahi bandhu,
3) O Lord Krishna in the form of name-syllables! You possess all supreme powers, and are engaged in bestowing pure auspiciousness upon the living beings. Without You there is no other friend to rescue us from the ocean of material existence. You have come for the deliverance of all fallen souls.
ache tapa jive jata, tumi saba koro hata,
helaya tomare eka-bar
dake jadi kono jan, ho’ye din akincan,
nahi dekhi’ anya pratikar
4) For all souls within this world there is much misery and sorrow. O Harinam, if someone calls upon You just once, feeling himself very meek and lowly, possessing nothing and seeing no other remedy for his relief, You then easily destroy all his sorrows.
tava svalpa-sphurti pay, ugra-tapa dure jay,
linga-bhanga hoy anayase
bhakativinoda koy, jaya harinama jay,
pade’ thaki tuwa pada-ashe
5) If one simply obtains a faint glimpse of Your actual identity, then all sorts of terrible miseries are cast far away; indeed, the very form of suffering itself is easily broken to pieces. Bhaktivinoda says, “All glories, all glories to the holy name of Lord Hari! O Harinam, I perpetually fall to the ground in hope of attaining Your lotus feet.”
vishve udita, nama-tapan,
chodata saba, maya-vibhava,
sadhu tahe anuragi
1) The brilliant sun of the transcendental holy name of the Lord has appeared in the material universe in order to destroy ignorance. Casting aside all worldly attractions, the saintly souls cultivate affection for the name alone.
tomar mahima keba jane
ke heno pandita-jan, tomara mahatmya-gan,
uccaih-sware sakala bakhane
2) The sun of the holy name is the dispeller of the darkness of ignorance. O Harinam, who actually knows Your greatness? What sort of learned man is capable of loudly singing the host of Your glories?
tomara abhas pahilohi bhay
e bhava-timira kavalita-pray
3) O holy name, from the first moment one perceives a glimpse of You appearing on the horizon of the heart, the darkness of this material world is almost totally devoured.
acire timira nashiya prajnan
tattvandha-nayane korena vidhan
4) Quickly destroying all remaining darkness, You bestow divine wisdom upon our spiritually blinded eyes.
sei to’ prajnan vishuddha bhakati
upajay hari-vishayini mati
5) That divine wisdom gives rise within the heart to pure devotion, from which awakens an understanding of the transcendental characteristics of Lord Hari.
e adbhuta-lila satata tomar
bhakativinoda janiyache sar
6) This wonderful pastime of Yours is eternally taking place, and Bhaktivinoda has understood its essence.
jnani jnana-yoge, koriya jatane,
brahmera sakshat kore
brahma-sakshatkar, aprarabdha karma,
sampurna jnanete hare
1) The learned man, endeavoring in the practice of jnana-yoga, eventually achieves direct perception of the Supreme Brahman. That realization of Brahman awards one with fully complete transcendental knowledge, which removes all of one’s aprarabdha, or unfructified karmic reactions accrued in previous births.
tabu to’ prarabdha, nahi hoy kshoy,
phala-bhoga bina kabhu
brahma-bhuta jiva, phala-bhoga lagi’,
2) However, by dint of Brahman realization one’s prarabdha, or karmic reactions that are presently fructifying, are not diminished unless one actually undergoes the suffering of those reactions. Therefore, despite being a Brahman-realized soul, one must still experience the present reactions of his karma and thus be implicated in the cycle of birth and death.
kintu ohe nama, tava sphurti ha’le,
ekanti janera aro
prarabdhaprarabdha, kichu nahi thake,
vede gaya baro baro
3) But, O holy name, if You are manifest on the tongue of Your unalloyed devotee, then all of his sinful reactions of both past and present lives are completely destroyed. This truth is sung by the Vedas again and again.
tomara udaye, jivera hridoya,
sampurna shodhita hoy
karma-jnana-bandha, saba dure jaya,
4) O holy name, when You arise within the living being’s heart, it becomes completely purified. The shackles of materialistic activities and intellectual knowledge are cast far away, and the soul’s worldly existence comes to an end without any difficulty.
bhakativinoda, bahu tule’ koy,
namera nishana dharo
nama-danka-dhvani, koriya jaibe,
5) Bhaktivinoda raises his arms and says, “Take up the banner of the holy name and walk along sounding the drum of the holy name. In this way you will surely obtain the direct audience of Lord Muralidhara, the holder of the flute.”
harinam, tuwa aneka swarup
1) O Harinam, You possess unlimited forms, such as the beloved son of Mother Yashoda, the increaser of bliss, the son of Nanda, and the reservoir of all transcendental mellows.
2) You are the slayer of the demons Putana and Trinavarta, the breaker of the cart, the protector of the cows, the player of the murali flute, the destroyer of the demons Agha and Baka, the holder of Govardhan Hill, and You are a cowherd boy.
3) You killed the demon Keshi, bewildered Lord Brahma, and broke the pride of Indra, king of Heaven. You are the destroyer of the demon Arishta, the enchanter of the young cowherd girls, and You like to sport along the banks of the river Yamuna.
rama, krishna, hari, madhava, narahari,
4) You give delight to Shri Radhika, bring the nectar of life to the rasa dance, and sport in the groves near Radha Kunda. You are the reservoir of pleasure, the all-attractive one, the remover of inauspiciousness, the husband of the goddess of fortune, the half-man half-lion incarnation, and You are the source of all other incarnations such as Matsya, the fish avatara.
govinda, vamana, shri-madhusudana,
5) You are pleasing to the cows, You are the dwarf brahmana incarnation, and the splendrous slayer of the demon Madhu. You are the moon of the Yadu dynasty, and You always wear beautiful garlands of fresh forest flowers. You are the punisher of the Kaliya serpent, the delighter of Gokula, and You rejoice in the worship of Shrimati Radharani.
ityadika nam, swarupe prakam,
baduk mora rati rage
rupa-swarupa-pada, jani’ nija sampada,
bhaktivinoda dhori’ mage
6) O Harinam, thus according to Your own sweet will You are manifest in all these forms and in many others also. Please let my love and attachment for them increase more and more. Bhaktivinoda recognizes his own priceless treasure and clasps the lotus feet of Rupa Goswami and Swarupa Damodara Goswami while offering this prayer.
vacya o vacaka—dui swarup tomar
vacya—tava shri-vigraha cid-anandakar
1) O Lord, You possess two transcendental forms, properly called vacya (that which is nameable) and vacaka (that which denotes). The vacya is Your beautiful personal bodily form full of transcendental knowledge and bliss.
vacaka swarup tava `shri-krishnaadi’ nam
2) The vacaka forms are Your holy names, such as Shri Krishna and so forth. Thus appearing in the form of transcendental sound vibration, You are the resting place for the bliss of all souls.
ei dui swarupe tava ananta prakash
doya kori’ deya jive tomara vilas
3) Your unlimited manifestations are found in these two forms. Taking pity and being very kind, they confer upon the fallen souls entrance into Your divine pastimes.
kintu janiyachi natha vacaka-swarup
vacyapeksha doyamoy, ei aparup
4) But of these two forms of Yours, O Lord, I have understood Your vacaka form to be even more merciful than Your vacya form. Thus do I find Your holy name most wonderful.
nama nami bheda nai, vedera vacan
tabu nama—nami ho’te adhika korun
5) It is the declaration of the Vedas that the holy name of the Lord and the Lord Himself are non-different, yet still the holy name is more merciful than the Lord Himself.
krishnae-aparadhi jadi name shraddha kori’
prana bhori’ dake nam—`rama, krishna, hari’,
6) If one is an offender to Lord Krishna personally, but has genuine faith in the holy name and calls out with all his heart and soul, “Rama!” “Krishna!” “Hari!”...
aparadha dure jay, ananda-sagare
bhase sei anayase rasera pathare
7) ...then all his offenses are cast far away, and he floats without difficulty in the ocean of divine bliss and transcendental mellows.
vigraha-swarup vacye aparadha kori’
shuddha-namashraye sei aparadhe tori’
8) A person may commit offenses to the vacya or the transcendental figure of the Lord, but if he is under the shelter of the pure holy name, he crosses over all those offenses.
bhakativinoda mage shri-rupa-carane
vacaka-swarup name rati anukshane
9) At the lotus feet of Shrila Rupa Goswami, Bhaktivinoda begs for constant loving attachment for the vacaka or divine holy name of the Supreme Lord.
ohe harinam, tava mahima apar
tava pade nati ami kori bar bar
1) O holy name! Your glories are boundless! Therefore I bow down at Your lotus feet again and again.
gokuler mahotsava ananda-sagar!
tomar carane padi’ hoiya katar
2) O grand festival of Gokula! O ocean of bliss! I fall down at Your lotus feet, for I am feeling very distressed and troubled at heart.
tumi krishna, purna-vapu, rasera nidan
tava pade podi’ tava guna kori gan
3) You are Lord Krishna, Your divine form is fully perfect and complete, and You are the origin of all transcendental mellows. Falling down at Your lotus feet, I sing of Your divine qualities.
je kore tomar pade ekanta ashroy
ta’r arti-rashi nash koroha nishcoy
4) You definitely destroy the multitude of afflictions of that person who takes exclusive shelter at Your holy feet.
sarva aparadha tumi nasha koro ta’r
nama-aparadhavadhi nashaho tahar
5) You destroy all of his offenses, even to the extent of the nama-aparadhas (the ten offenses against the chanting of the holy name).
sarva-dosha dhauta kori’ tahara hridoy-
simhasane baiso tumi parama ashroy
6) Cleansing him of all impurities, You who are the supreme shelter are then seated upon the throne of his heart.
`raso vai sah’ boli’ veda kore tuwa gan
7) You are delightful and beautiful, the personification of complete cognizance and thickened bliss. The Vedas sing of You, saying, “The Supreme Personality of Godhead is verily the personification of all transcendental mellows.”v*
magaye sarvada nama-sphurti sarva-kshane
8) At the lotus feet of Shrila Rupa Goswami, Bhaktivinoda constantly begs that at every moment there may be the direct revelation of the holy name.
narada muni, bajaya vina,
nama amani, udita hoya,
1) When the great soul Narada Muni plays his stringed vina, the holy name of Radhika-Ramana descends and immediately appears amidst the kirtan of the Lord’s devotees.
amiya-dhara, barishe ghana,
bhakata-jana, saghane nace,
bhoriya apana hiya
2) Like a monsoon cloud, the holy name showers pure nectar into their ears. All the devotees, due to great ecstasy, enthusiastically dance to their heart’s content.
madhuri-pura, asabo pashi’,
keho va kande, keho va nace,
keho mate mane mane
3) All the inhabitants of the universe become maddened upon entering these intoxicating showers of divine sweetness. Some people cry, some dance and others become fully intoxicated within their minds.
panca-vadana, narade dhori’,
premera saghana rol
kamalasana, naciya bole,
`bolo bolo hari bolo’
4) The five-faced Lord Shiva embraces Narada Muni and repeatedly makes loud screams of ecstatic joy, while Lord Brahma dances very ecstatically and exclaims, “All of you chant `Haribol ! Haribol!’”
`hari hari’ boli’ gay
nama-prabhave, matilo vishva,
nama-rasa sabe pay
5) In supreme happiness the thousand-faced Ananta Shesha sings and calls out, “Hari! Hari!” By the influence of the transcendental vibration of that name, the whole universe becomes ecstatically maddened as everyone tastes and relishes the mellows of the holy name.
shri-krishna-nama, rasane sphuri’,
pura’lo amara asha
shri-rupa-pade, yacaye iha,
6) The holy name of Shri Krishna has fulfilled all my desires by thus manifesting on everyone’s tongue. Bhaktivinoda, the humble servant of the Lord, therefore prays at the feet of Shri Rupa Goswami that the chanting of Harinam may always continue in this way.