|NITAAI-Veda.nyf > All Scriptures By Acharyas > Bhaktivinoda Thakura > Gitavali > Gitavali Chps > Part-VI|
Shri Krishnaer Vimshottara-Shata-Nam
One Hundred and Twenty Names of Lord Krishna
(Refrain:) nagare nagare gora gay
(Refrain:) From village to village Lord Gaura sings these names of Shri Krishna:
indra-nila-mani braja-janera jivana
1) Krishna is the baby who feeds on the breast milk of Mother Yashoda. He is the son of Maharaja Nanda, dark blue like an indra-nila gem (sapphire), and the life of the residents of Vraja.
2) He destroyed the witch of Gokula named Putana, He killed the wicked whirlwind demon Trinavarta, and He broke the cart in which the demon Shakatasura was hiding.
yamala-arjuna-bhanji govinda gopala
3) He likes to steal butter, and is an expert thief of yogurt. He broke the two arjuna trees, He is a cowherd boy who always gives pleasure to the cows, and He is the protector of the cows.
vatsasurantaka hari nija-jana-pala
4) He is so naughty that His mother bound Him around the waist with ropes, and He is the keeper of the cows and calves of Vrindavana. He is the the destroyer of the calf-demon Vatsasura, He is the remover of all evils, and is the protector of His devotees.
baka-shatru agha-hanta brahma-vimohana
dhenuka-nashana krishna kaliya-damana
5) He is the enemy of the stork-demon Bakasura, the slayer of the snake-demon Aghasura, the bewilderer of Lord Brahma, the destroyer of the ass-demon Dhenukasura, He is all-attractive, and the subduer of the Kaliya serpent.
pitambara shikhi-piccha-dhari venu-dhara
6) He dresses in yellow silk cloth, wears peacock feathers on His head, and He always holds a flute. He performs pastimes in the Bhandira forest, and He swallowed a forest fire in order to save the inhabitants of Vraja.
natabara guhacara sharata-bihari
vallabi-vallabha deva gopi-vastra-hari
7) He is the best of dancers, He wanders in the caves of Govardhana Hill, and He enjoys various amorous pastimes in the autumn season. He is the lover of the young cowherd maidens, the Supreme Lord of all, and the stealer of the gopis’ garments.
yajna-patni-gana-prati karunara sindhu
govardhana-dhrik madhava braja-basi-bandhu
8) He is the ocean of mercy for the wives of the sacrificial brahmanas, He is the holder of Govardhana Hill, the husband of the goddess of fortune, and the dearmost friend of the inhabitants of Vraja.
indra-darpa-hari nanda-rakshita mukunda
shri-gopi-vallabha rasa-krida purnananda
9) He broke Indra’s pride, and is the protector of His father, Nanda Maharaja. He is the giver of liberation, the lover of the cowherd maidens of Vraja, the enjoyer of the rasa dance, and the reservoir of fully complete pleasure.
shri-radha-vallabha radha-madhava sundara
10) He is the lover of Shrimati Radharani, the very springtime of Her life, and is very handsome. He is the Lord of the lives of all the sakhis of Vrindavana, headed by Lalita and Vishakha.
vana-mali smera-mukha gopi-prana-dhana
11) He possesses the lovely complexion of a fresh raincloud, He is the bewilderer of Cupid, and is always garlanded with fresh forest flowers. His face is full of sweet smiles and laughter, and He is the wealth of the lives of all the young cowherd maidens in Vraja.
tri-bhangi murali-dhara jamuna-nagara
radha-kunda-ranga-neta rasera sagara
12) He possesses a beautiful three-fold bending form, and holds a flute known as murali. He is the lover of the Yamuna river, the director of all the amorous love-sports at Radha Kunda, and He is the ocean of sweet devotional mellows.
13) He is the Lord of the life of Candravali, and He is desirous of joking and playing pranks. He is very anxious to enjoy the moods of His beloved Radhika’s feigned sulking, and He always endeavors to meet with Her.
manasa-gangara dani prasuna-taskara
gopi-saha hatha-kari braja-baneshwara
14) He is the giver of the Manasa Ganga lake to the inhabitants of Vrindavana, and a thief of flower blossoms. He acts very outrageously with the maidens of Vrindavana, not caring for social restrictions, and He is the Lord of the Vraja-mandala forests.
15) He is the wealth of Gokula, and He protects the cowherd boys from all miseries. He curbs all foolish pride and removes all distress from His devotees.
ramanuja shyama-canda murali-vadaka
16) He is the liberator of the demigod Sudarshana, and is the destroyer of the demon Shankhacuda. He is the younger brother of Lord Baladeva (Rama), He is the beautiful dark moon of Vrindavana, and the player of the murali flute.
gopi-gita-shrota madhu-sudana murari
17) He listens to the devotional songs of the gopis, and is the slayer of the demon Madhu. He is the enemy of the demon Mura, the killer of the bull-demon Arishtasura, and He regularly enjoys amorous sports at Radha Kunda and other places in Vraja.
vyomantaka padma-netra keshi-nisudana
ranga-krida kamsa-hanta malla-praharana
18) He is the destroyer of the sky-demon Vyomasura, His eyes are shaped like lotus petals, and He is the killer of the horse-demon Keshi. He is fond of frolicsome pastimes, is the slayer of King Kamsa, and is the conquerer of Kamsa’s wrestlers named Canura and Mushtika.
dina-natha mathuresha devaki-garbha-ja
19) He is the beloved son of Vasudeva, and the emblem of fame for the Vrishnai dynasty. The Lord of the fallen souls, He is the Monarch of Mathura, and He appears to have taken birth from the womb of Devaki.
kubja-kripamoya vishnu shauri narayana
dwarakesha naraka-ghna shri-yadu-nandana
20) He is full of mercy for the hunchbacked girl Kubja. He is the maintainer of the entire creation, the son of Vasudeva, the refuge of all souls, the Lord of Dvaraka, the slayer of the demon Narakasura, and the beloved descendant of the Yadu dynasty.
shri-rukmini-kanta satya-pati sura-pala
pandava-bandhava shishupaladira kala
21) He is the lover of Rukmini, the husband of Satya, the protecter of the godly, the beloved friend of the five Pandava brothers, and the cause of death for Shishupala and other demonic kings.
jagadisha janardana keshavarta-trana
sarva-avatara-bija vishvera nidana
22) He is the Lord of the universe, the maintainer of all living beings, the possessor of beautiful hair, and the deliverer from all misery. He is the primordial seed of all His various incarnations, and is the origin of all universes.
mayeshwara yogeshwara brahma-tejadhara
sarvatmara atma prabhu prakritira para
23) He is the Lord of Maya, the master of mysticism, and the proprietor of the spiritual powers of the brahmanas. The Soul of all souls, He is the Supreme Lord and master, being the opposite shore of the ocean of material nature.
patita-pavana jagannatha sarveshwara
brindabana-candra sarva-rasera akara
24) Lord Krishna is the purifier of the fallen souls, the Lord of the universe, the controller of all beings, the moon of Vrindavana, and the original reservoir of all rasas.
nagare nagare gora gay
bhakativinoda tachu pay
25) From village to village Lord Gauranga sings these names of Krishna, and Bhaktivinoda remains at His lotus feet.
krishna govinda hare
1) O Krishna! O Govinda! O Hari! O Gopi-vallabha! O Shauri!
shrinivasa, damodara, shri-rama, murare
nanda-nandana, madhava, nrisimha, kamsare
2) O Shrinivasa! O Damodara! O Shri Rama! O Murari! O Nanda-nandana! O Madhava! O Nrisimha! O Kamsari!
radha-vallabha, madhava, shri-pati, mukunda
gopinatha, madana-mohana, rasa-rasananda
1) Krishna is the lover of Radha, sweet like honey of the springtime, the husband of Lakshmi, the awarder of liberatlon, the Lord of the gopis, the bewilderer of Cupid, the relisher of the blissful mellows of the rasa dance, the enjoyer of amorous sports in the grove at Radha Kunda known as Ananga-sukhada-kunja, and the pleasure of the cows.
1) Krishna is the lover of Radha. He displays many amorous pastimes in the groves of Vrindavana. He is the lover of the cowherd maidens of Vraja, the lifter of the great hill named Govardhana, the beloved son of Mother Yashoda, the delighter of the inhabitants of Vraja, and He wanders in the forests along the banks of the river Yamuna.
1) Krishna is the lover of Radha, the pleasure of Radha, the springtime of Radha, and the delight of Radha.
2) Krishna is the lover of Radha, the Lord of Radha, He delights in beholding the beautiful complexion of Radha, He relishes everything in relation to Radha, He is the beloved of Radha, and He feels joy in meeting with Radha.
jaya yashoda-nandana krishna gopala govinda
jaya madana-mohana hare ananta mukunda
1) All glories to Krishna, the son of Mother Yashoda, the cowherd boy and giver of pleasure to the cows! All glories to the conquerer of Cupid, Lord Hari, who takes away all inauspiciousness, who is unlimited, and the awarder of liberation!
jaya acyuta madhava ram brindabana-candra
jaya murali-vadana shyama gopi-janananda
2) All glories to the infallible Lord, husband of the goddess of fortune, the supreme enjoyer, and the moon of Vrindavana! All glories to Krishna, who always holds a flute to His mouth, who is the color of a dark blue raincloud, and is the bliss of the gopis!
Chanting of the Holy Names