|NITAAI-Veda.nyf > All Scriptures By Acharyas > Bhaktivinoda Thakura > Gitavali > Gitavali Chps > Part-II|
Songs for the Greeting Ceremony of the Lord
Shri Surabhi-Kunje Shri Gaura-Govinda-arati
The Ceremony of Worshiping Shri Gaura-Govinda at Shri Surabhi Kunja
bhale gora-gadadharer arati nehari
nadiya-puraba-bhave jau bolihari
1) As I behold the wondrous arati of my Lords Gaura and Gadadhara, I enter into the mood of Their existence previous to appearing in Nadiya (Their Vrindavana lila as Shri Shri Radha and Krishna). It is simply indescribable.
sabu sakhi-beshtita kishora-kishori
2) Underneath a desire-tree, seated upon a jeweled throne, the ever-youthful couple named Kishora and Kishori are surrounded by all of Their gopi friends.i*
purata-jadita kota mani-gajamati
jhamaki’ jhamaki’ labhe prati-anga-jyotih
3) Shri Radhika and Lord Govindaji are decorated with many shining jewels and pearls inlaid with gold artwork, enhancing the sparkling splendor of each and every limb of Their transcendental forms.
nila nirada lagi’ vidyut-mala
duhun anga mili’ shobha bhuvana-ujala
4) The meeting of Their two bodily forms has generated a luster that brightens all the worlds, and may be compared to a garland of lightning (Radha) fixed upon a dark blue raincloud (Krishna).
shankha baje, ghanta baje, baje karatala
madhura mridanga baje parama rasala
5) On the occasion of Their meeting there is a concert produced by the sounding of conchshells, bells, karatalas and mridangas. Such kirtana is supremely sweet and relishable to hear.
vishakhadi sakhi-vrinda duhun guna gaowe
priya-narma-sakhi-gana camara dhulaowe
6) The cowherd damsels of Vrindavana led by Vishakha Devi sing the glories of the Divine Couple while the priya-narma-sakhis cool Their Lordships by waving camara fans.
ananga manjari cuya-candana deowe
malatira mala rupa manjari lagaowe
7) Ananga Manjari offers Them sandalwood pulp scented with cuya while Rupa Manjari places a garland of jasmine flowers about Their necks.
panca-pradipe dhori’ karpura-bati
lalita-sundari kore jugala-arati
8) The beautiful Lalita Sundari holds a lamp of five flames scented with camphor and waves it aloft, offering arati to the Divine Couple.
devi-lakshmi-shruti-gana dharani lotaowe
gopi-jana-adhikara raowata gaowe
9) Parvati, Lakshmi, and the personified Vedas cry in great happiness while rolling on the ground and singing of the fortunate position of the damsels of Vraja-bhumi.
bhakativinoda rohi’ surabhiki kunje
arati-darashane prema-sukha bhunje
10) Bhaktivinoda resides at Surabhi Kunja in the land of Godruma-dwipa, relishing the joy of divine love at the sight of this beautiful arati.
The Ceremony of Worshiping Lord Gauranga
jaya jaya goracander aratiko shobha
1) All glories, all glories to the beautiful arati ceremony of Lord Gaurachandra in a grove on the banks of the Jahnavi river! This Gaura-arati is attracting the minds of all living entities in the universe.
dakshine nitai-cand, vame gadadhara
nikate advaita, shrinivasa chatra-dhara
2) On Lord Chaitanya’s right side is Lord Nityananda, and on His left is Shri Gadadhara. Before Him stands Shri Adwaita, and Shrivasa Thakura holds an umbrella over Lord Chaitanya’s head.
bosiyache goracand ratna-simhasane
arati korena brahma-adi deva-gane
3) Lord Chaitanya is seated upon a jewelled throne while the demigods headed by Lord Brahma perform the arati ceremony.
narahari-adi kori’ camara dhulaya
4) Narahari Sarakara and other associates fan Him with yak-tail whisks as Sanjaya Pandita, Mukunda Datta and Vasu Ghosha sing sweet kirtan along with the other devotees for Lord Chaitanya’s pleasure.
shankha baje ghanta baje baje karatala
madhura mridanga baje parama rasala
5) Conchshells resound, bells clang, karatals ring and the mridangas play very sweetly in that kirtan, so melodious and relishable to hear.
bahu-koti candra jini’ vadana ujjvala
gala-deshe vana-mala kore jhalamala
6) The brilliance of Lord Chaitanya’s face conquers millions upon millions of moons, and the garland of forest flowers around His neck shines.
shiva-shuka-narada preme gada-gada
bhakativinoda dekhe gorara sampada
7) Lord Shiva, Shukadeva Goswami and Narada Muni are all there, and their voices are choked with the ecstasy of transcendental love. Thus Bhaktivinoda envisions the glory of Lord Gaurachandra.
The Ceremony of Worshiping the Divine Couple
jaya jaya radha-krishna yugala-milana
arati karowe lalitadi sakhi-gana
1) All glories, all glories to the meeting of the transcendental pair, Shri Shri Radha and Krishna! The assembly of gopis, headed by Lalita, perform the arati ceremony for Their pleasure.
madana-mohana rupa tri-bhanga-sundara
2) The beautiful three-fold bending form of Krishna, who is the attractor of Cupid, dressed in a yellow silk dhoti and wearing a crown decorated with the feathers of a peacock, is simply captivating to the mind.
sunila-vasana gauri rupe gune dhanya
3) Sitting to the left of the charming Lord Madhava is the beautiful daughter of King Vrishabhanu, dressed in a lovely deep blue sari. Her complexion is the color of molten gold, and all the characteristics of Her beauty and qualities are highly praiseworthy.
nana-vidha alankara kore jhalamala
hari-mano-vimohana vadana ujjvala
4) She is decorated with various shimmering, sparkling ornaments. Her face is so splendrous that it enchants the mind of Lord Hari.
vishakhadi sakhi-gana nana rage gaya
priya-narma-sakhi jata camara dhulaya
5) All the gopis headed by Vishakha sing many beautiful songs in various tunes, while the topmost class of gopis known as the priya-narma-sakhis soothe Radha and Krishna by waving camara fans.
bhakativinoda sakhi-pade sukhe bhase
6) Hoping to attain the lotus feet of Radhika and Madhava, Bhaktivinoda happily swims in the ocean of bliss found at the feet of the damsels of Vraja Dhama.
Shri Surabhi-Kunjera Shri Bhoga-arati
The Ceremony of Offering Foodstuffs for the Noon Meal at Shri Surabhi-Kunja
bhaja bhakata-vatsala shri-gaurahari
shri-gaurahari sohi goshtha-bihari,
1) Just worship Shri Gaurahari, who is always very affectionate to His devotees. Shri Gaurahari of Navadvipa is Himself Krishna of Vrindavana, the same personality who has stolen the hearts of Nanda Maharaja and Mother Yashoda.
bela ha’lo, damodara, aiso ekhona
bhoga-mandire basi’ karoha bhojana
2) Mother Yashoda calls to Krishna: “My dear Damodara! It is now very late! Please come and sit down in the dining hall to take Your lunch!”
nandera nideshe baise giri-vara-dhari
baladeva-saha sakha baise sari sari
3) On the direction of Nanda Maharaja, the holder of Govardhana Hill along with His elder brother Shri Baladeva and all their cowherd boyfriends sit down in rows to take lunch.
shukta-shakadi bhaji nalita kushmanda
dali dalna dugdha-tumbi dadhi moca-khanda
4) They are served a feast of shukta, various kinds of green leafy vegetables, then nice savories, a salad made of the green leaves of the jute plant, pumpkin, baskets of fruit, small square cakes made of lentils and cooked-down milk, then squash cooked with milk, thick yogurt and vegetable preparations made with the flowers of the banana tree.
mudga-boda masha-boda rotika ghritanna
shashkuli pishtaka khir puli payasanna
5) Then they have fried squares of mung dahl and urad dahl patties, capatis, and rice with ghee. Next they have sweetmeats made with milk, sugar and sesamum, rice flour cakes, thick cooked-down milk, sweet rolls, and sweet-rice.
karpura amrita-keli rambha khira-sara
amrita rasala, amla dvadasha prakara
6) There is also sweet-rice tasting just like nectar due to its being mixed with camphor. There are bananas and cheese, which is nectarean and delicious, and luscious mangoes. They are also served twelve kinds of sour preparations made with tamarinds, limes, lemons, oranges and pomegranates.
luci cini sarpuri laddu rasabali
bhojana korena krishna ho’ye kutuhali
7) There are puris made with flour and white powdered sugar, puris filled with cream, laddus, and dahl patties boiled in sugared rice. Being very eager, Krishna eats all of the prasad.
radhikara pakka anna vividha byanjana
parama anande krishna korena bhojana
8) Krishna feels the greatest ecstasy and joy when He eats the various curries, sweets and pastries cooked by Shri Radhika.
chale-bale laddu khay shri-madhumangala
bagala bajay ara deya hari-bolo
9) Krishna’s funny brahmana friend Madhumangala gets ladňus to eat by hook or by crook. When Madhumangala eats the laňňus he shouts, “Give me more! Haribol!” and makes a funny sound by slapping his sides under his armpits with his hands.
radhikadi gane heri’ nayanera kone
tripta ho’ye khay krishna yashoda-bhavane
10) Beholding Radhika and Her gopi friends out of the corners of His eyes, Krishna dines at the house of Mother Yashoda with great satisfaction.
bhojanante piye krishna suvasita bari
sabe mukha prakshaloy ho’ye sari sari
11) After lunch, Krishna drinks sweet rose-scented water. Then all His friends, standing in lines, wash their mouths.
hasta-mukha prakshaliya jata sakha-gane
anande vishrama kore baladeva-sane
12) After all the cowherd boys wash their hands and mouths, they take rest with Lord Baladeva in great bliss.
jambula rasala ane tambula-masala
taha kheye krishna-candra sukhe nidra gela
13) Krishna’s servants named Jambula and Rasala provide betel nuts dressed with fancy spices. Chewing the pan, Krishna-candra then happily goes to sleep.
vishalaksha shikhi-puccha-camara ňhulaya
apurva shayyaya krishna sukhe nidra jaya
14) While Krishna contentedly takes His rest upon an excellent bedstead, His servant Vishalaksha cools Him by gently waving a fan of peacock feathers.
yashomati-ajna pe’ye dhanishtha-anito
shri-krishna-prasada radha bhunje ho’ye prito
15) Receiving the order of Mother Yashoda, the gopi Dhanishtha brings remnants of food left on Shri Krishna’s plate to Radha, who takes them with great delight.
lalitadi sakhi-gana avashesha paya
mane mane sukhe radha-krishna-guna gaya
16) Lalita-devi and the other gopis then receive the remnants of Radha, and within their heart-of-hearts they sing the glories of Radha and Krishna with great joy.
hari-lila eka-matra yahara pramoda
bhogarati gay thakur bhakativinoda
17) Thus Bhaktivinoda, whose only joy is the wonderful pastimes of Lord Hari, sings this Bhoga-arati song.