|NITAAI-Veda.nyf > All Scriptures By Acharyas > Bhaktivinoda Thakura > Gitavali > Gitavali Chps > Part-I|
Songs to be Sung at Dawn
udilo aruna puraba-bhage,
dwija-mani gora amani jage,
bhakata-samuha loiya sathe,
1) When the eastern horizon became tinged with the redness that heralds the rising of the sun, the jewel among the twice-born brahmanas, Lord Gaurasundara, immediately awakened. Taking all His devotees with Him, He journeyed through the towns and villages of Nadiya.
`tathai tathai' bajalo khol,
ghana ghana tahe jhanjera rol,
preme dhala dhala sonara anga,
carane nupura baje
2) The mridangas resounded “tathai, tathai” in quick succession while the large jhanjha cymbals chimed in time. Lord Gauranga’s golden form trembles again and again in ecstatic love of Godhead, and His footbells jingle.
mukunda madhava yadava hari,
bolena bolo re vadana bhori’,
miche nida-bashe gelo re rati,
3) Lord Chaitanya calls out to the townsfolk, “Fill your mouths with the holy names `Mukunda! Madhava! Yadava! and Hari!’ You spend your nights uselessly sleeping and your days decorating your bodies!
emana durlabha manava-deho,
paiya ki koro bhava na keho,
ebe na bhajile yashoda-suta,
carame podibe laje
4) “You have achieved this rare human body. Don’t you care for this gift? If you do not worship the darling of Mother Yashoda now, then great sorrow awaits you at the time of your death.
udita tapana hoile asta,
dina gelo boli’ hoibe byasta,
tabe keno ebe alasa hoy,
na bhaja hridoya-raje
5) “With every rising and setting of the sun, a day passes and is lost. Why then do you remain idle and not serve the Lord of the heart?
jivana anitya janaha sar,
tahe nana-vidha vipada-bhar,
namashraya kori’ jatane tumi,
thakaha apana kaje
6) “You should understand this essential fact: Life is temporary and filled wlth various kinds of misery. Therefore, carefully take shelter of the holy name and remain always engaged in His service as your eternal occupation.
jagate asi’ e madhura nam,
7) “Desiring to shower benedictions upon all living entities, this sweet name of Krishna has descended to this material universe and shines like the sun in the sky of the heart, destroying the darkness of ignorance.”
krishna-nama-sudha koriya pan,
nama vina kichu nahiko ara,
8) Drink the pure nectar of the holy name of Krishna and thus satisfy the soul of Bhaktivinoda. Except for the holy name there is nothing within all the fourteen worlds.
jiv jago, jiv jago, gauracanda bole
kota nidra yao maya-pishacira kole
1) “Wake up, sleeping souls! Wake up, sleeping souls!” Lord Gauranga calls, “You have slept so long in the lap of the witch Maya!”
bhajibo boliya ese somsara-bhitore
bhuliya rohile tumi avidyara bhore
2) “You came into this world saying, `O my Lord I will certainly worship You,’ but having forgotten this promise you remain in great ignorance.
tomare loite ami hoinu avatara
ami vina bandhu ara ke ache tomara
3) “I have descended to this world just to reclaim you. Other than Myself, who else is your true friend?
enechi aushadhi maya nashibaro lagi’
hari-nama maha-mantra lao tumi magi’
4) “I have brought the medicine for destroying the illusion of Maya. Now beg for this hari-nama-maha-mantra and take it.”
bhakativinoda prabhu-carane podiya
sei hari-nama-mantra loilo magiya
5) Bhaktivinoda fell at the lotus feet of Lord Gauranga, and after begging for the holy name he indeed received that maha-mantra.