|NITAAI-Veda.nyf > All Scriptures By Acharyas > Bhaktivinoda Thakura > Bhaktivinoda Vani Vaibhava > Bhaktivinoda Vani Vaibhava Part 2 and 3 > Vol 2 Abhidheya > Civilization|
1. What is the meaning of the word sabhyatd, civilization?
Sabhyatd is to become qualified to sit in a sabha or assembly. That is plain gentlemanliness. (Jaiva Dharma, Chapter 9)
2. What is the definition of modern civilization?
The process of covering internal evil is the definition of modern civilization. (Jaiva Dharma, Chapter 9)
3. How do cunning people protect their civilization?
The prestige of cunning people's civilization is protected by their useless arguments and physical strength. (Jaiva Dharma, Chapter 9)
4. Is it proper to lose the treasure of devotional service for the sake of insignificant civilization?
I used to laugh within my mind to see the signs of devotional service, as I thought them to be utter madness. What happened to that civilization I considered topmost and through which, even as I tried to praise it, I lost the most valuable touchstone? (Kalydna Kalpataru Song 2)
5. Is the civilization of Kali-yuga not sinful?
If civilization means simply to wear attractive clothes, then the prostitutes are more civilized than you. Wine and flesh are naturally impure. Therefore, a civilization that grows by drinking and eating such things is certainly sinful. The modern state is certainly a Kali-yuga civilization.
(Jaiva Dharma, Chapter 9)